Regular Conditioners as Leave-In Conditioners

selly707

Ok so, again, I'm pretty new here although I've been lurking around for a while trying to educate myself about taking care of my hair. But of course there are still quite a few things I don't quite understand.

I've seen some posts where people talk about using regular conditioner as a leave-in conditioner. Can someone explain to me how that works? I imagine that leaving the conditioner in your hair would result in some sort of film on the hair. Is there a specific way to do it without causing build-up? Or maybe I misunderstood what exactly is done. Can anyone help me out with this?

longhairdreamzz

I do it all the time...I leave conditioner on my hair after I wash it...and also as a hairdress. But to be honest I mostly do protective styling. So in my opinion, it works best for those types of styles.

The Savvy Sistah

I do it at times too, but recently I had to stop because of the product build up.

IMO conditioners that are designed to rinse out should be diluted and you should not go more than two days without washing it out.

Namilani

I'll use Humectress and Kenra MC when my hair seems really thirsty. Yes, they do cause build-up more frequently. They work well until that point, though...

*Muffin*

Ok so, again, I'm pretty new here although I've been lurking around for a while trying to educate myself about taking care of my hair. But of course there are still quite a few things I don't quite understand.

I've seen some posts where people talk about using regular conditioner as a leave-in conditioner. Can someone explain to me how that works? I imagine that leaving the conditioner in your hair would result in some sort of film on the hair. Is there a specific way to do it without causing build-up? Or maybe I misunderstood what exactly is done. Can anyone help me out with this?

I don't even buy leave-ins. Most of the time they contain either the same ingredients as regular conditioner but in lesser amounts or they are too watery. I use regular conditioner that I buy at whole foods and use it as a leave-in. To me it's a lot more moisturizing and cheaper.

*Muffin*

I did this with several conditioners and they all left my hair too hard and crunchy.

Regular conditioner used to do this too me too when I put it on dry hair. Now I usually apply it to slightly dampened hair and only use a little (because it tends to be thicker than leave-ins) or I'll dilute it with distilled water, put it in a spray bottle, and spritz it into my hair when it's dry. But then again what works for some may not work for all :).

Sha76

I use regular conditoners in my DD hair, but it does leave build up. I cannot use it on my hair right now because I am currently in braids. But it works wonders for my DD hair.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I always use leave ins although I know there are quite a few ladies on here that use reg condish. I've done it before and it didn't damage my hair or anything. Nothing negative at all matter fact, it just felt weird to me. And certain leave ins seem to leave a longer scent for me. Exceptions to this is any of the heavily fragranced condishs like VS So Sexy.

Butterfly08

Yes, I do, but I cowash at least 4x a week so I am able to avoid build up. I leave in Redken Butter Treat on wet hair. For dry hair, I use Kenra MC as a moisturizing gel to slick back my roots.

DaRealist

I do it all the time...I leave conditioner on my hair after I wash it...and also as a hairdress. But to be honest I mostly do protective styling. So in my opinion, it works best for those types of styles.
This is how I use it as well.

I also agree that I think it works best for protective styles.

Simply_Kelz

I use a regular conditioner as a leave-in, but only when I'm cowashing; if I'm wearing a straight or heat style, then I won't.

Neith

I use regular conditioner all the time. I use A LOT too.

No problems with build up. I'm a weekly washer.