relax > rinse > condition > neutralize?

cocoa32

I have noticed that on some brands of relaxer it says to rinse the relaxer and then apply conditioner and then neutralize and then deep condition. Others say to rinse the relaxer and then neutralize and then deep condition. Does the correct order just depend on the brand of product you use or is conditioning immediately after rinsing optimal for the hair and some brands just skip this step?

What do you ladies do?

mw138

Here's what I do.

1. Rinse thoroughly
2. Apply Porosity Control & leave in for a couple of minutes
3. Rinse
4. Apply Bed Head Dumb Blonde reconstructor for about 5-10 minutes
5. Rinse
6. Neutralize
7. Deep condition

This has worked for me even though I was initally afriad to put the PC & reconstructor on my head prior to neutralizing.

janeemat

I just had this discussion last wk. I get an affirm relaxer and I noticed that my stylist would apply a cond/reconstructor prior to the neutralizer. Her is what Sistaslick had to say:

Originally Posted by Sistaslick
Several relaxer formulations come with a mid-relaxer protein conditioning step that involves the application of a mild protein treatment between the relaxer rinsing and neutralizing. This five minute step is done essentially to restore protein stores lost or compromised during the relaxer application. The steps are simple. Thoroughly rinse the relaxer crème from your hair with warm water after processing. Apply your mild protein conditioning treatment to your hair for three to five minutes. Rinse thoroughly and neutralize.

PrettyBrownEyes

cocoa32 said:
I have noticed that on some brands of relaxer it says to rinse the relaxer and then apply conditioner and then neutralize and then deep condition. Others say to rinse the relaxer and then neutralize and then deep condition. Does the correct order just depend on the brand of product you use or is conditioning immediately after rinsing optimal for the hair and some brands just skip this step?

What do you ladies do?

I just following the directions for the brand that I'm using.

cocoa32

Thanks for the replies ladies. It seems like most of you rinse, condition, neutralize.

When I was going to the salon they never applied conditioner b4 neutralizing. They also never let the neutralizer sit for 5 minutes. No wonder my hair never thrived!

Janeemat thanks for the quote from Sistaslick.

hairmaster

It makes sense to apply protein/deep conditioner after rinsing relaxer, do to the cuticles are wide open from the relaxer penitraiting, this allows the hair to seal the protein in to repair the hair.

gimbap

Cleve_gryl said:
What they said...relax, rinse, protein con, neutralize, DC
This is what I do as well. Relax, Rinse, Motions CPR, Neutralize, Deep Condition (usually with Motions Moisture Plus)

HoneyDew

Cleve_gryl said:
What they said...relax, rinse, protein con, neutralize, DC

This is what I do, as well.

Right now I have been using Aphogee's Keratin conditoner.

Also, I feel comfortable doing it because after checking the pH of my water (7) I know that the relaxing process has pretty much stopped if I rinse really well.

motherx2esq

Great thread. I have always just rinsed, neutralize, rinse, neutralize, rinse and dc. I think I was use my ION before I neutralize. Thanks ladies for sharing!

gymfreak336

I have recently started doing a conditioning session before relaxing. I started paying attention to the instructions and noticed that most of them said to condition first. Conditioners are usually acidic by nature so they help start the neutralization process. I notice a big difference in moisutre and strength when I condition first. I use motions neutralizing conditioner, porosity control, or motions silk protein conditioner before neutralizing with shampoo. I will never relax my hair another way.

tnorenberg

Same here. I just did my relaxer and here's what I did:

Relax - Silk Elements Lye
Condition - Jherri Redding Natural Protein Conditioner w/ ACV
Condition - Silk Elements Luxury Cond. Reconstructant
Neutralize- Motions Neutralizing Shampoo
Shampoo - Aveda DR
Condition - Aveda DR

That ACV rinse really helped bring down the Ph quick. I am very happy with the results.

LovelyLionessa

I just did a touch up the other night too and after rinsing the relaxer I conditioned with Porosity Control + Aphogee 2 min. recon. then proceeded with neutalizing poo.

RubyWoo

I do this method as well. I rinse the relaxer and then apply Aphogee 2 min Keratin Reconstructor to my hair and leave it for 5 min. Afterwards I rinse, neutralize 3x and then deep condition. I will always do it this way and I thank LHCF for introducing me to this method.

Last edited:

la flaca

:perplexedAfter reading this thread, I think I'll self-relax again. I'm not gonna get all these steps with my stylist :eek:

cocoa32

gymfreak336 said:
I have recently started doing a conditioning session before relaxing. I started paying attention to the instructions and noticed that most of them said to condition first. Conditioners are usually acidic by nature so they help start the neutralization process. I notice a big difference in moisutre and strength when I condition first. I use motions neutralizing conditioner, porosity control, or motions silk protein conditioner before neutralizing with shampoo. I will never relax my hair another way.

Gymfreak, How many days b4 relaxing do you do the conditioning treatment? Do you use moisture, protein, or a combo of the 2? Is it any different from your normal weekly DC?

gymfreak336

cocoa32 said:
Gymfreak, How many days b4 relaxing do you do the conditioning treatment? Do you use moisture, protein, or a combo of the 2? Is it any different from your normal weekly DC?

My scalp can start acting funny when I have alot of newgrowth so I wash about 3 days before I relax. I use a light clarifying wash like design essentials organic cleanse. I usually deep condition with a combo conditioner. I either use a cholesterol or a mix of aubrey organics honeysuckle and rose conditioner and aubreys gpb. It usually isn't any different than my weekly dc. I do however make sure I have fit in a heavier protein treatment the week before. I use cpr or aphogee 2 minute reconstructor for this. Since I start doing my hair this way, it is a lot stronger. I underprocessed my self the last two times but that is because I have a tendency to use too much base and not enough relaxer.:ohwell: Even so, my hair is still pretty strong considering the texture differences.

After I relax I like to use motions neutralizing conditioner or motions silk protein conditioner for ten minutes before I wash. Then I use proclaim neutralizing shampoo and follow with one of my favorite moisturizing conditioners.

hairmaster

gymfreak336 said:
My scalp can start acting funny when I have alot of newgrowth so I wash about 3 days before I relax. I use a light clarifying wash like design essentials organic cleanse. I usually deep condition with a combo conditioner. I either use a cholesterol or a mix of aubrey organics honeysuckle and rose conditioner and aubreys gpb. It usually isn't any different than my weekly dc. I do however make sure I have fit in a heavier protein treatment the week before. I use cpr or aphogee 2 minute reconstructor for this. Since I start doing my hair this way, it is a lot stronger. I underprocessed my self the last two times but that is because I have a tendency to use too much base and not enough relaxer.:ohwell: Even so, my hair is still pretty strong considering the texture differences.

After I relax I like to use motions neutralizing conditioner or motions silk protein conditioner for ten minutes before I wash. Then I use proclaim neutralizing shampoo and follow with one of my favorite moisturizing conditioners.

You can also apply conditioner to the hair that has been relaxed previsly this help keep you from overlapping relaxer.