relaxed after 31/2 yrs natural. help!!!

nap2bfree

Relaxed after 31/2 yrs natural. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I relaxed my natural hair after 3 1/2 years of being natural because of back problems. Two herniated disc upper and lower.

I loved being natural. My hair thrived. I Big chopped down to 1 inch of hair when I went natural. My hair is armpit length know. I feel that is good considering I cut it several times while I was natural.

It became difficalt for me to take care of it. Because it took me 4 hours to detangle it then another 6-8 hours to do my favorite two strand twist. My back would kill me after the detangling. :sad:I like to take care of my hair. I don't like spending money for others to do things I can do. I do my on perms, braids ect... I also had a bad experiance with a hair dresser who would not listen to me when I told her my scalp was burning when she first put a perm on my head. I had to jump up out of the chair and run to the sink. before she took me serious. Causing major damage to my scalp. After that I decided I would learn to do my own hair.

I feel like I have forgotten how to take care of my hair with the perm.
I have been trying to get as much info from the boards as I can. I found great info.

But, At this time I don't think I am prepared to take care of my hair. So I want to put braids or kinky twist in till I can get all the products I need (I gave away my flat iron, curling irons, products ect.. when I went natural) and learn more. I don't want to damage the hair I have. My goal Is to get to bra strap or mid back.

Can you tell me a good leave in conditioner that I can use while I have the braids. And any information I may need to know to maintain. Also Is sponge rollers bad?

Please help:nono:
nap2bfree

Last edited:

dicapr

You are probably better off limiting the use of curling iron, flat irons, ect. Too much heat will cause you to loose your progress. All you really nead is a good deep conditoner, a good leave in, and an oil or grease for sealing in moisture. You may want to pick up a protien conditioner also. If you are relaxed, you may want to bun. It is a easy stlye ( a ponytail with the ends tucked under). When you braid, you always have to wory about someone pulling your edges out unless you are going to do them yourself. African Pride braid spray is a good one if you are going to braid. I have also diluted my leave in and saturated my braids and then baggied. My hair wasn't dry when I took the braids down using this method. I used cholesterol as a DC while relaxed, Nexus Karaphix for protein, Aphogee daily leave, and olive oil for sealing. I found for me the simple was better.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
Thank you.

Anyone have a favorite leave in conditioner

Some of my favorite leave in conditioners are lacio lacio, salerm, and elucence. I'm not sure how good these would be with braids tho. Another alternative could be something like a liquid leave in that you can spray directly onto your braids. Maybe some other ladies can chime in...

ThursdayGirl

unless you put some kind of wrapper (like a satin sleeve) on those rollers, don't use them. They'll suck the moisture out of your hair.

I have been using end papers...still drying, but not as bad as having the "sponge" stuff on my hair.

When I was relaxed I liked the leave-in by aphogee.