~*~Relaxed and previous relaxed ladies~*~

Gemini350z

Have you ever thought that your hair would grow longer, thicker and faster being natural?

I have been contemplating with transitioning, because i feel that my hair would grow better if it was natural- without any chemicals. My new growth seems to be so strong, compared to my relaxed strands.

My two concerns are that I like to wear my hair straight, and have never seen my natural texture before. I was relaxed very young, and when I was not, I received press and curls.

Would using heat on your natural hair be as harsh as relaxing it? Would you recommend someone who has never seen their natural hair before to transition? Or would it be best to stick with what you know?

*just adding this information if it would help*

I know by looking at my new growth I "think" that I am mostly a 4a, some parts are finer, and some are coarser(very resistant). The nape of my neck is very fine and more like a 3c texture. I know you cant tell for sure with relaxed hair still present.

Relaxed and Previously Relaxed ladies a couple questions:

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural?

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like?

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural?

Last edited:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? Yes, I considered transitioning but decided against it, atleast fot now.

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? Somewhat I had about 4 months of NG

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural? I'm not sure, it grows either way, my ends are what I'm worried about. I believe you can maintain healthy hair with or without a relaxer.

Evazhair

No. Not at all. I have been relaxed and natural off and on all of my life. Every time except for the last time I transitioned without a bc

Yes and I loved/love it very much.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural?[/quote]

My hair grows very healthy/strong relaxed or natural. For me the difference is giving my hair what it needs and staying away from damaging practices. I last relaxed four years ago and this is the first time in my life I have been relaxed and my hair has thrived consistently, despite dryness from a no lye relaxer that I have been gradually trimming out.

Southernbella.

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? No, not really. I was more anxious than anything else.

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? Not when I was transitioning. All I knew was that I had type 4 hair, and that it would be thick, which it is. I love it, though.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural? It grew very well when I was relaxed, and it seems to be growing well natural (it's only been a month:grin:)

Sunshine0801

I was more nervous about cutting off all of my hair than becoming natural. Before I went natural, my hair was around shoulder length. I did the BC and had about half an inch of hair.

I had no idea. I didn't know about all of the variations of hair textures at the time, so all I knew was that my natural hair would be nappy.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural?

My hair is MUCH longer, thicker, and healthier now that I am natural than when I was relaxed. To be honest, I did not take very good care of my hair when it was relaxed but it was thin nonetheless from day one, and I think it would have been thin regardless of how I took care of it.

prospurr4

No, I'm not scared to transition to natural.:nono: My hair is now texlaxed.

I was natural until the age of 20, so I know what my natural hair is like...I prefer it texlaxed.:yep:

When my hair was natural, it broke off (alot), and I remained at scraggly neck length for years. (Of course, had I known about hairboards at that time, my outcome as a natural would have surely been better.) My fully-relaxed hair broke off due to overprocessing. Now that I'm texlaxed, my hair is healthier; it's strong and retaining length.

It~Can~Grow

No.

I can't go natural because my sweat glands would limit my hair to curly styles. I have over-active sweat glands and from age 6 have poured out water from head to toe. :sad:

No amount of anything would keep my hair from reverting in spring/summer/fall, so I pretty much stick with relaxed and straight.

At least when I sweat I can slick that stuff back in a bun :lachen:

Yes. I started perming in high school.

I would have to say it grew healthier as natural because I didn't know how to take care of it and pretty much kept out of it and stuff off of it - so everything I grew I pretty much kept.

Fast forward to 12/07 and enter LHCF...I'm dangerously armed with hair care information...so we shall see :grin:

Traycee

No not scared...But I choose not to....Some of the natural ladies hair is so pretty but I'm 4b and too, too thick... and the up keep would be to much for me

Oh yes I've be natural before....And had to depend on a stylist for upkeep ...every 5 days I was at the shop

I really don't see a difference....My hair is relaxed and is very healthy

glamazon386

It will grow the same rate. I've found that I retain more hair as a natural though so it appears to grow faster.

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? No... I had been stretching relaxers 12-16 weeks for a few years so I was used to dealing with the new growth. Once I made it to the 6 months with no relaxer mark twice I decided to stop relaxing all together.
2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? No... It's different now that it was when I was natural as a child. It's also different than the new growth was when I was stretching.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural? It's definitely growing healthier as a natural.

realitychk

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? Not scared at all just really excited. I grew that relaxer out with micros for 3 months than cut it to a TWA.

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? I didn't know what my hair type was and my hair had been relaxed when I was really young but I figured it would be thick and nappy. I was right!:grin:

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural? I know my hair is healthier natural. Plus I only have to go to a salon to get trims. I find it easier to care for natural hair then relaxed.

DayStar

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? no...i just started relaxing...i grew up natural....this is my second year relaxed.

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? yes...4a...and it was gorgeous...it reacts to moisture and shrinks up real quick...it was medium density...

my hair was healthy both relaxed and natural...BUT my hair is healthier relaxed because i am actually putting time into taking care of it.

MizAvalon

Have you ever thought that your hair would grow longer, thicker and faster being natural?

I have been contemplating with transitioning, because i feel that my hair would grow better if it was natural- without any chemicals. My new growth seems to be so strong, compared to my relaxed strands.

My two concerns are that I like to wear my hair straight, and have never seen my natural texture before. I was relaxed very young, and when I was not, I received press and curls.

Would using heat on your natural hair be as harsh as relaxing it? Would you recommend someone who has never seen their natural hair before to transition? Or would it be best to stick with what you know?

*just adding this information if it would help*

I know by looking at my new growth I "think" that I am mostly a 4a, some parts are finer, and some are coarser(very resistant). The nape of my neck is very fine and more like a 3c texture. I know you cant tell for sure with relaxed hair still present.

1. I have been natural in the past for 4 years. I didn't intend on doing it, I was just in a serious braid phase and didn't see any point in relaxing my hair. Before I knew it a couple of years had passed! :eek:

2. I'm a 4a/b. My natural hair is nice, very soft. I like it. Lots of shrinkage though.

3. My hair was very healthy when it was natural and it it's still healthy now that I'm relaxed. I would like to go natural again someday just because I don't like the idea of putting chemicals in my head for the rest of my life. Not being mentally or emotionally ready to deal with shrinkage or transistioning at this point is the only thing that's holding me back. I mentioned that to my friend the other night and he said "well doesn't perm just go away if you keep washing your hair?":perplexed

PinkPeony

Yes,I LOVE long hair on me and I don't want to go through the growing out stage again(seiously the hardest part for me since I found LHCF)besides my memories of being a natural scarred me.:nono::nono:

I was natural most of my life but I had no idea how to handle my own hair so I PRAY that my natural hair isn't like I remembered it to be(a serious tangly chore:nono:,I think I cried every time I or my mom had to do my hair)
I used to think I was 4b b/c I never had curldefinition,I still think i'am a type 4 that's all I know.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural
Relaxed.
My nape is natural and my relaxed hair is light years ahead in terms of growth,I don't know why that is tough:perplexed

crazydaze911

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? It wasnt intentional the 1st time. That time i was just upset with my hair not retaining length and always needing a trim so i put it in a bun for a year or two and did NOTHING to it except wash once a week and blow dry once in a blue mood. THIS TIME, i'm conciously transitioning and it seems so much harder. The frizz and having 'untameable hair' is a pain. i was confused for a LONG TIME, but i havent relaxed in over a year - so either i'm transitioning or really really stretching - lol. You shouldnt be scared. If i were you i would try transitioning for 6 months to a year and see how it goes. if you cant handle it, you can always go back to relaxing....

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? I'd seen my natural hair in pictures and videos and i knew it would be poofy, but at the same time my mother did not know how to care for hair. she was very rough, used cheap products, washed my hair once every month or two, and the only style she knew was a braid, so i thought - maybe if i handled it with the knowledge i have now, it could look alot better and softer...i'm still trying to figure this out, but i know i'm doing a better job with it then she was :grin:

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural?[/QUOTE]. My hair def grew alot healthier natural the first time i transitioned. i was really rough with it and i hardly saw ANY hairs in my comb. This time i'm losing a bit more hair at the demarcation line, but i'm not giving up. and when it gets to a length i am happy with, i will straighten it more often so relaxing will be almost obselete (pointless).

Gemini350z

Thanks ladies!! Bump for more responses.

I am going to do a stretch until May 30, see if I can handle it.

I relaxed last weekend, but it did not take. Leaving my hair underprocessed.

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? I wasn't scared of transitioning b/c I knew that it was something that I definitely wanted to do, but I was a little afraid of dealing with my new hair. It was a shock that I had to get used to and still am trying to.

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? When I first went natural I did so many rough things to it to make it do what I wanted it to which was "lay down." But since I have realized that my hair grows up and out - I have tried to embrace that.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural? When I was relaxed I never considered if anything I was doing to my hair and scalp was healthy or not. I saw my hair as an accessory and did whatever I wanted to it like frying it to death w/ heating appliances every morning and gluing tracks directly onto my scalp. Now I take care of my hair and scalp and I don't try to manipulate it into doing something it doesn't want to do. I just take care of it and leave it alone for the most part. So now my natural hair is a healthy part of my life.

Cocoa21

Yes, depending on what day you ask me. For the most part,I'm anxious about transitioning but b/c I'm unfamiliar with my natural hair, some days I feel like stretching for 4 months at a time would be a better alternative than making a full transition. I'onno. :nono:

My hair type is either a 4a or 4b for the most part ( I think), but I have baby hair around my edges in the front and on the sides so I'm still learning what my hairt type is. :wallbash:

Relaxed. When I was young and natural my mother did my hair and it fell out. She didn't know any better :sad: , but when I started doing my own hair, it was relaxed by then and it grew....long!

MysteryMe

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? I wouldn't say that I am scared, but I have concerns because it was a lot of for "ME" maintain my hair in its natural state. Due to the thickness and my lack of skills in the hair department.

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? Yes and I miss it to an extent.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural? IMO, my hair was in the healthiest state natural and thrived more in many aspects.

justsimply

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? No. BUT I don't want to go thru the really short hair stage again, so I'm transitioning back to natural vs. b/cing.

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? Yes, I've been natural before.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural? I think hair will grow at the same rate and can be healthy in either state if you take care of it. But with all other things being equal (health, how you take care of your hair, etc) natural has to be healthier because no chemicals are applied, no chances of over processing. For me it is easier to maintain the health of my hair when natural. I can wash/condition while in a style (twist/braids) and let it air dry without worry. I can't do that with relaxed hair.

DarkAngell

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural?i was when i first began my transition and i felt like i had SUCH long road ahead of me but so far the time has flown by..

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? NOPE!! i was relaxed bone straight since i was about 8 and when asking my mother what my natural texture was she said it was wavy in a pony tail...that's all she really remembered about it!!! None of my pics from the past where i had my hair out ( rare ) were clear or close enough to see the texture. So i definately went into my transition blind.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural?[/quote] Sunday will make 1 yr relaxer free. since i decided to transition my hair is MUCH MUCH healthier. The relxing was making me lose hair; and much more hair then i thought since even mid way through my transition i STILL had new patches of hair coming in. It's much fuller when straightened now vs when it was relaxed.( i dont straighten that often though ) when its straight my 6 inches of NG is so much softer and stronger then my relaxed ends. This is also the very first time my hair has actually grown the expected 6 inches it's supposed to in 1 yrs time.

Gemini350z

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural?i was when i first began my transition and i felt like i had SUCH long road ahead of me but so far the time has flown by..

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? NOPE!! i was relaxed bone straight since i was about 8 and when asking my mother what my natural texture was she said it was wavy in a pony tail...that's all she really remembered about it!!! None of my pics from the past where i had my hair out ( rare ) were clear or close enough to see the texture. So i definately went into my transition blind.

Sunday will make 1 yr relaxer free. since i decided to transition my hair is MUCH MUCH healthier. The relxing was making me lose hair; and much more hair then i thought since even mid way through my transition i STILL had new patches of hair coming in. It's much fuller when straightened now vs when it was relaxed.( i dont straighten that often though ) when its straight my 6 inches of NG is so much softer and stronger then my relaxed ends. This is also the very first time my hair has actually grown the expected 6 inches it's supposed to in 1 yrs time. [/QUOTE]

Congrats on being relaxer free for 12 months.

Thanks for the responses ladies. It really makes me reconsider some things!!

kiesha8185

Yes, because it took me forever to learn how to care for my relaxed hair, and I feel like I would back at square one if I go natural. Also, I know that being natural would be more work for me because my hair natural hair is very thick. Daily styling, I think, would be a timely chore for me.

I do have an idea of what it would look like, but they say you really don't know due to scab hair and/or your cut off relaxed ends. I think I am 4a.

Whether I am relaxed or natural, my hair will grow the same rate...relaxers don't slow down your growth rate. :lachen: But I think I would probably retain more length easier if I was natural. I realized that my newly relaxed hair (hair I relaxed in December 07) is just as strong as my natural hair. I figured my hair can be just as long, thick, and healthy being relaxed as natural, only because I like to wear my hair straight. It'd be healthier for my hair to relax 3 times a year and never use heat, than to go natural and use heat consistently.

BeautifulNameX

O MY!!! I was just in the same boat considering going natural. My NG is a lot stronger. and My NG is soft When Wet But I'm a keep relaxing because My NG dryes hard plus I like straigts styles as aposed to natural on me plus my DH lol likes flat straight styles

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? yes

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? Yes matted looking lol back when my mom gave me press and curl

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural? Natural

beautifulreality

1. Are/were you scared of transitioning and becoming natural? Nope. I was too excited to be scared.

2. Did/do you know what your natural hair is like? I had no clue. I was actually surprised by my texture. It was not what I thought it would be at all.

3. Did your hair grow healthier relaxed or does it grow healthier when your natural? For me it depends on the length and preferred style. As my natural hair got longer I encountered more knots and some breakage from detangling no matter how careful I would be. Now that it is relaxed, I think it is a little better because I'm not breaking my hair from detangling. And I can wear a straight look without a lot of heat damage.