~~~Relaxed Bunning Thread~~~

sunnieb

Ok, I'm thinking of going back on a bunning regimen for most of 2013.

I know we all bun at some time or another, so why not put all the info in one thread? :grin:

Anything bunning related goes here! Tips, pics, accessories, thread links, etc.

I'll be back! :yep:

freckledface

shortdub78 I'm wearing a sock bun for the first time. Why was it bad for you hair? I figured the sock would be drying so I wrapped it in plastic wrap. What yall think??

Evolving78

the plastic may help, but the manipulation of it alone isn't worth it for me. i'm talking about securing the hair around it too.

Loving

I need some bun styles. I always use a donut even though my hair is past APL. I'm lazy.........

WantNatural

:wave: Hi ladies! I'm natural, but after taking a break from bunning for a few weeks with twist outs, I'm ready to start again. I've been wearing the same baggy bun for close to two years - ready to change it up and learn new ways to secure my hair. Thanks divachyk for sharing these links. I never realized there was such a variety of banana clips. I've already found some that I think will work better on my hair than the traditional clip. Your blog has some great information!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have pages of pics on my LHCF blog -- enjoy. :grin:

Tips.....
-Use banana clips for making ponytails and good days hair pins for securing.

-As a change up method, to not cause stress on my hair, I will bun by twisting the hair and then securing with tools like spin pins, metal duck bill clips or other gentle tools.

-Don't pull the hair too tightly to avoid stress on edges and nape.

-Re-do frequency determined by my hair needs. If it needs a boost of moisture, I'll take it down nightly, moisturize & re-do the bun. If moisture is on point, then I'll keep the bun in until it looks old or my hair needs additional moisture.

-Slick down the edges and nape with soft bristle toothbrush and something gentle like Bee Mine Bee Hold, Whipped Gelly, Hairveda Red Tea Holding Gel, Oyin Shine & Define.

-I sometimes use a cut up stocking for making my pony. I saturate it in conditioner overnight or right before making my pony to ensure it doesn't pull moisture from my hair.

-I have some tiny nape hairs that sometimes poke out and I will throw on headbands to hide those stubborn hairs. I try to always put conditioner on the headband before putting it on so it doesn't rub my hair and cause breakage. Some headbands are too ornate and may be damaged by doing this (experienced that) so just be cautious of that before applying conditioner to all types of headbands.

-I use a tiny, see through hair net to give the appearance that all hairs are in place. I hate out of place hairs unless I'm going for the messy bun look.

Last edited:

Leesh

Ooooo...Yes.
I jus started my bunning reg about two weeks ago. I usually "Wet" bun for the duration of my stretch until touch up. I incorporate the "Deep Moisture Method" into it. Its damp the majority of the time which has worked wonders for retention.

Ima high bun girl...theres some pics of her in the "Everyday Hair" thread. Shes my fave...Ill come back and post them here.

sunnieb

-I use a tiny, see through hair net to give the appearance that all hairs are in place. I hate out of place hairs unless I'm going for the messy bun look.

Ladies, this tip right here took my bunning to another level!

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

sunnieb

Any spin pin users? I just bought some last week and I am ADDICTED.

Yep! I used to love those pins when I bunned before.

Since I wore my hair out for pretty much all of 2012, my bunning supplies got buried somewhere. I'll definitely dig them out and put them to good use.

I'm wearing my regular daily bun today, but I want to start dressing them up for a new bun every week.

hnntrr

If I wasnt doing the coowash challenge and had to wash tonight I would do a highbun on my stretched bantu knots tomorrow...or I guess I still could... I may do that thursday and friday though. I like my hair so much better textured now..might even get away with no heat this week :D.

Babysaffy

Great thread. It took me so long to get back into it as I love wearing my hair down but I've recently started bunning daily for work again as this was what really grew out my hair to new lengths in particular my chronically broken nape back when I first discovered LHCF in 2008.

I've ditched the heat for now (apart from my occasionally straightening my side fringe/bangs which stays out) and have been airdrying and bunning for past couple of weeks. I use S-Curl to keep my ends moisturised and mix and match: Cantu Shea leave in/herbal essences beautiful ends split ends protective cream/organic root stimulator hair pudding to smooth hair back and moisturise.

Last week I was rocking a stretchy hairband to add interest and break up the breadth of my big head lol:

IMG-20130115-WA0001.jpg

This week I'm just going simple as don't want to cause damage with the band. I'm dying to buy some Good Hair Day pins!!

sunnieb

If I wasnt doing the coowash challenge and had to wash tonight I would do a highbun on my stretched bantu knots tomorrow...or I guess I still could... I may do that thursday and friday though. I like my hair so much better textured now..might even get away with no heat this week :D.

hnntrr Bun it up! :grin:

sunnieb

***adds stretchy headbands to hair shopping list***

janeemat

Ok, I'm thinking of going back on a bunning regimen for most of 2013.

I know we all bun at some time or another, so why not put all the info in one thread? :grin:

Anything bunning related goes here! Tips, pics, accessories, thread links, etc.

I'll be back! :yep:

I told you already to come join me in bunning for a year:yep:! I am determined to do this. That way I will truly know if bunning is worth it.

sunnieb

I told you already to come join me in bunning for a year:yep:! I am determined to do this. That way I will truly know if bunning is worth it.

:lol: I was hoping you'd come in here!

Okay, okay. I'm off the fence and officially bunning. :)

Still wearing it down if I'm hanging out with dh, but at work and home will be nothing but bun. :yep:

Evolving78

Still wearing it down if I'm hanging out with dh, but at work and home will be nothing but bun. :yep:

i could do this! just as long as i can wear my hair down when i go out to an event or a date.

janeemat

:lol:Not me I have been bunning since Jan 3rd 7 days a week...bun to right, bun to left, middle bun, high bun and low bun. Since I am bunning there will be no long stretches outside of my norm. That way I can keep the ng in tact to keep the bun looking nice.

Leesh

Here it is...

These would be on straightened hair:

These would be on damp textured hair:

And this shows how damp it still is at the end of the day (Dont laugh at my favorite robe :lol:) :

Last edited:

sunnieb

i could do this! just as long as i can wear my hair down when i go out to an event or a date.

shortdub78 - Dh was a champ back in 2009 when I bunned pratically everyday, even on dates. I vowed to never do that to him again.

We were out and about Saturday just doing normal stuff and I let my hair fly free in the wind. I caught him stealing glances and "accidentally" touching it. That's priceless and I will still be bunning most of the time. :yep:

janeemat

I'm still going to bun even if I am going to an event. As a matter of fact, I am going to an event on Feb 2nd. My plan is to rollset so it can be nice and smooth, blow out the roots a little and sweep it into a messy soft bun.

Jewell

I bun about 99% of the time, and it does wonders for the health, strength, and retention of my ends. Ive been using buns and wearing my hair twisted up in the back in a clip or secured with a decorative hair comb for over 7 yrs now. I used to trim a lot when I maintained my hair by wrapping it and wearing it down, or rollersetting then wrapping, but PS using buns have really saved my ends. I only trim twice a year, taking no more than 1/2" at the time. I very rarely have to do S&D missions. I M&S my ends before bunning and use Good Day Hair Pins to secure.

I want to try Spin Pins. I leave my bun in a couple days then take it down, re-moisturize the hair and ends, and put it back up. Lazy/simple hair care is my M.O. ;) ETA: My SO is a real sweetie about my buns...so long as I let it loose around the house ever so often. He pays more attention to other things.

I take my buns down at night sometimes and put my hair in 2 Pocahontas braids, then wrap them around and pin in place (that way the hair is fluffy and wavy from the braids, but the ends are curled like the way a pin curl would do). I usually do those braids at bedtime so my bun is very big and full, and my waves are apparent in the french twist with a clip that I often wear. I love big hair but hated the SSKs and mats I got while natural.

Last edited:

bebezazueta

Leesh I love your buns! Can you elaborate on your deep moisture bun method? I love wet bunning & I wash/cowash often but if I can get in a good DC while bunning, I'm game.