~~~Relaxed Bunning Thread~~~

Plushottie

Thicc and fione

Prettyeyes

I will bun today through Friday day timeafter putting some s-curl and ecostyler gel on my hair for the wet sleek look. Friday night I get a relaxer! And a style.I will take pics later today of my bun.

sunnieb

Just relaxed last night. It's funny how I forget how to deal with all my hair being straight. My regular hair pins keep slipping out.

So I used a plastic knock-off Flexi 8 clip to hold my hair in place. Found a new hairstyle in the process. So glad I have enough hair for this look! Can't wait for more hair in 2023!

20221212_171546.jpg20221212_171520_resized.jpg

sunnieb

After some false starts, stops, and everything in between, my daily buns are back. I've been 'kinda' bunning, but not doing the dedicated hide-my-hair type of bunning that I KNOW will retain maximum length.

Well enough of that. The bun is back and in place for the rest of the year. I'll allow a pass for certain work events and/or family portraits, but that's it.

As I was swirling my bun up this morning, I realized how moisturized my hair was. It was dang near damp! Then I was like :think:! Well duh! When I'm bunning everyday, I don't care about being heavy handed with my moisturizers. This in turn is better for my ends that I keep hidden. When I wear my hair down, I lightly moisturize to keep the bounce and shake. Enough of that. APL here I come!

Today's overly moisturized bun:

20230421_071804_resized.jpg

LushLox

The big bun is making a comeback Sunnie B!

I love doing a side bun with a middle part. But I often rotate it to sit in the back too.

I've started to buy some nice hair accessories (I'm really into bows like this one). Nice to add one to a fishtail braid, but that's moving away from bunning.

1682166339645.png

I like this too for a high bun.
1682167917567.png

Last edited:

sunnieb

@LushLox yes ma'am! I used to do so many buns! But, I had a lot of hair to work with. I'll get there though!

@TLC1020 I bet your buns look amazing! You can definitely get more creative with more hair.

I think I bunned more when my hair was longer because it's so easy to twirl it up and it looks so....dramatic!

For now, I'll be wearing my smaller daily bun. It's still pretty full-looking thanks to my hair texture, but I can't wait to really bun with more hair!

My Saturday bun:

20230422_130540_resized.jpg
20230422_130620_resized.jpg

sunnieb

I promise I'm not going to post pics of the same bun every day....but...

I went into the office today. I spoke to a work friend I've known for over 10 years. Would you believe she didn't recognize me wearing my bun? Since we returned to the office a few days a week, I'd been wearing my hair down. She'll get used to it!

Also, my bun from today is finally feeling like my original daily bun. Here's why. It's pretty much a damp bun. Not damp with water, but my hair is so full of moisturizer, it's "wet". It was another 'aha' moment as to why bunning works for me. My hair isn't just hidden, I keep extra EXTRA moisturized since I don't care about it being bouncy.

Here's to a great year of retention!

Today's bun:
20230425_063446_resized.jpg

sunnieb

@Napp I wish there was a challenge! I don't want to start one because I know I'll drop the ball with my schedule.

When I first joined LHCF, I got in the Hide Your Hair challenge. That's where I got a lot of different bunning ideas.

MzSwift

@Napp I wish there was a challenge! I don't want to start one because I know I'll drop the ball with my schedule.

When I first joined LHCF, I got in the Hide Your Hair challenge. That's where I got a lot of different bunning ideas.

Yup, I do personal HYH challenges. In fact, I'm in one right now. That is how I saw tons of women retaining and growing to long lengths under buns (particularly wet bunning) and weaves. That is definitely the way! lol

LushLox

Yup, I do personal HYH challenges. In fact, I'm in one right now. That is how I saw tons of women retaining and growing to long lengths under buns (particularly wet bunning) and weaves. That is definitely the way! lol

Do you do wet/damp bunning @MzSwift

I've partly done it, whereby I've dried my hair in the bun, but once it's dry I don't wet it again, but that's not really true wet/damp bunning is it. I want to get into this because I think it can be superb for retention but I am super cautious about it for obvious reasons.

MzSwift

Do you do wet/damp bunning @MzSwift

I've partly done it, whereby I've dried my hair in the bun, but once it's dry I don't wet it again, but that's not really true wet/damp bunning is it. I want to get into this because I think it can be superb for retention but I am super cautious about it for obvious reasons.

I do it all of the time in my cornrows when I don't wear a wig or scarf over them. Like you, I dry them out of the shower. They stay wrapped up while I'm getting dressed. Then, I apply oil to my scalp, condish to my hair and then seal my ends with a ceramide oil mix. Once I'm back in the house for the night, I take out the bun to allow my hair to dry/breathe. It's usually dry by the time I wrap it up for bed.

On days that I don't wet it in the shower, I would spray it until damp with my water/condish/oil spray bottle mix and then apply my scalp oil, condish and oil seal and then "wet bun" that way

This is the wet bun style on cornrows.
1682698538510.png

I rarely wear my hair loose but when I did wet bun on loose hair I did similar steps except that after applying my scalp oil and hair condish, I would pull my hair back into one big braid, fold up the ends and then secure with a rubber band. The tail of the braid was pinned up into a bun. My braid was looser toward the scalp. I did this bc I wanted to be able to alternate between high, mid and low bun throughout the week without taking down the braid. So when I got home from work, I would take the ponytail holder out and allow my hair and braid to dry further.

1682699498415.png sorry about the tiny pic, it's the only one I have of the style. This is the braid before pinning it up.

After a few days, when the braid started to look pretty worn, I used a tip from @sunnieb and wrapped the bun in a hair net.

I would water rinse or cowash pretty much daily doing this. My hair became fuller and I could see a good amount of growth and retention.
The photos below are a 4 month time span. I primarily did wet buns and braidouts during this time. (I was actively dating and trying to be cute. lol)
Blue top is April, yellow top is August. Both photos are a 1-day post relaxer braid out.

1682699214648.png 1682699287503.png

Last edited:

sunnieb

@TLC1020 I'm right there with you!

So I've been out with family and friends and the "bun" came with me! :) They didn't even comment on my hair. They know what I'm doing without saying a word. I bunned most of the time when I first joined LHCF. So I think everyone I know saw me in a bun for about 3 years. :spinning: I would wear my hair out 1 day a week and sometimes not even then. I was on a mission!

I kind of miss my hair when I'm out and about seeing all the hair out there flowing. But, I know I'm doing what's best in the end.

sunnieb

I've been on 3 work trips since I started bunning again. This last one, I had to give myself another pass and wore my hair out. I knew they would be taking pics and I didn't want to be captured forever in a bun. Plus, no matter how many times I turn my head while presenting, I get caught at an angle that makes me look bald. :lol:

But, I went back to the bun for the last day since the photographer was gone by then.

I also bought my first new brush in over 15 years. As my newgrowth comes in thick and everything but straight it was getting harder to blend with my previously relaxed hair using a fine toothed comb. Not a big deal when I'm only doing Zoom meetings, but now I'm out seeing people every week. A brush will help give me a more polished look since I don't use heat or gel.

Here's the brush.
20230527_123818_resized.jpg
Got it at CVS last night.

sunnieb

13 weeks post now and bunning is still in full swing.

Took my bun out to cowash tonight and really took notice of my ends. They are remaining moisturized and smooth without much manipulation. I was slathering Vaseline and moisturizer on them when I was wearing my hair out all the time. They would still revert back to being dry and crackly.

As I found out when I first came to LHCF, I can't wear my hair out daily and expect to retain length. The choice is clear - long hair w/bunning or SL hair that I wear out all the time.

Here's a pic of my ends tonight:

20230621_185039_resized.jpg