~~~Relaxed Bunning Thread~~~

LushLox

For all of the champion bunners here, do you apply a no comb process between wash days? I'm fine with no combing if I'm doing a loose messy bun but if I'm doing a style that it is neat and structured, it starts to get a bit challenging, and I need to use at least a brush. I've been making good progress with reducing the combing though so I don't want to blow it now.

How do you do it when you wear very neat buns do you have to succumb to the comb/brush.

Evolving78

For all of the champion bunners here, do you apply a no comb process between wash days? I'm fine with no combing if I'm doing a loose messy bun but if I'm doing a style that it is neat and structured, it starts to get a bit challenging, and I need to use at least a brush. I've been making good progress with reducing the combing though so I don't want to blow it now.

How do you do it when you wear very neat buns do you have to succumb to the comb/brush.
I Glide the comb over my hair. I don’t comb through my strands.

LushLox

Here is my little pony bun! Lol
@faithVA
I’m excited for it to get bigger!

Cute :yep: I need to get some of those clips. But I need to be careful not to use them too much though, that's how I got the W in the back of my hair a while back along with the pony's! Bunning is like an art form for me, I really can't do one type of style too often and in the same place as the hair simply breaks off. I won't be making the same mistake again!

So do you take the clip down at the end of the day, moisturise (if you need to) then apply your scarf to set the style again for the morning? That is what I normally do when I bun like that, it's such an excellent low mani style.

Evolving78

Cute :yep: I need to get some of those clips. But I need to be careful not to use them too much though, that's how I got the W in the back of my hair a while back along with the pony's! Bunning is like an art form for me, I really can't do one type of style too often and in the same place as the hair simply breaks off. I won't be making the same mistake again!

So do you take the clip down at the end of the day, moisturise (if you need to) then apply your scarf to set the style again for the morning? That is what I normally do when I bun like that, it's such an excellent low mani style.
Thanks!
Yes I take the clip out, moisturize, then put on my scarf. I use spin pins, scrunchies, and other hair toys.

sunnieb

First time I've been comfortable showing this much of my nape since my setback in 2017.

Thrilled I'm able to do this bun again. Not as massive as I used to have and it's getting some help from a strategically placed silk scrunchie, but I'm happy!

Attachments

• 20190417_113951_resized.jpg
    20190417_113951_resized.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 70

Chrismiss

First time I've been comfortable showing this much of my nape since my setback in 2017.

Thrilled I'm able to do this bun again. Not as massive as I used to have and it's getting some help from a strategically placed silk scrunchie, but I'm happy!

I need some nape tips. Mine is starting to get crunchy and I want to save it.

sunnieb

I need some nape tips. Mine is starting to get crunchy and I want to save it.

Please take special care of your nape at all costs! Here's what I'm doing to get mine back. It was bald back there in December 2017.
  • Deep condition weekly
  • Prepoo with EVCO before each dc
  • Use Shea butter mix
  • Cowash 3x weekly
  • Take hair vitamins
  • Moisturize and seal twice a day - always start at the nape and massage product in
  • Sleep with silk scarf or bonnet
  • Protective style 100% of the time
  • Exercise regularly
  • Drink 100oz of water daily
  • manage stress levels
I'll be going hardcore protective styling for at least another 2 years. I'm in it for the long haul and will probably never fall back to wearing my hair out daily. That's why I'm so excited that I can finally wear a bun. I can't wait for it to get bigger as my hair grows longer. :yep:

sunnieb

Thanks love! It’s time to go back. Way back. Back into time.

You probably don’t get this reference, but it’s something that I used to hear on the radio before they played some good music :lachen:

Now it’s time to read some good posts.

I'm about to turn 47 on Sunday! I know EXACTLY what you talking about! :lachen:

And yep, I may forget and act like I don't know what got me to dang near MBL, but I always return to bunning. I have to accept that. My hair has to be tucked away 95% of the time in order for me to get maximum retention.

I'm cool with it. ;)

MzSwift

Finally finished reading the thread! Lots of pretty hair up in here!!

So I still feel like buns leave my hair too vulnerable but I have ideas about how to rock buns whenever I want to try my hand at it. Perhaps revisiting wet/damp bunning as an option will help me feel better about maintaining moisture. For me, when I dry bun, my perimeter (edges/nape/behind ears) which is the most fragile, is exposed to the elements and being rubbed against any surface I lay down on. Not sure how else to combat that if I bun except by wet bunning.

I agree with someone upthread who mentioned that it may be because I've become "addicted" to PSing. My last relaxer, I did wear my hair out for about 2 weeks post in banded ponytails and braided buns but then I was itching to protect it again. :(

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
Hi :), I'm here in the shadows.
I bun daily. I prefer it now. My hair is high porosity, fine, and medium to low density. It thrives when I do the least, for now that's wearing it in a bun daily and also detangling daily (unless I fall asleep unexpectedly). I've also learned through trial and error that I need to gently detangle daily to remove shed hairs and to "un-cling" hairs that want to cling. I moisturize and seal daily.

Last edited:

sunnieb

I can finally post another bun pic in this thread! Being able to do my signature (although smaller) bun is a major milestone and a true indication that I'm retaining what I grow.

I'll still do my 'twist and tuck' dally with a flexi clip, but when I hang out on the weekends, I'll bust out the bun. :yep:

Screenshot_20210522-152536_Gallery.jpg

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I can finally post another bun pic in this thread! Being able to do my signature (although smaller) bun is a major milestone and a true indication that I'm retaining what I grow.

I'll still do my 'twist and tuck' dally with a flexi clip, but when I hang out on the weekends, I'll bust out the bun. :yep:

View attachment 472359
I’m so happy for you! :bounceline: You have worked SO hard and now reaping the fruits of your labor.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Thank you!

It's nerve wracking sometimes. I had my last bought of breakage last August. Not sure how many inches I lost. :(

My hair seems to be reacting to all this TLC.....FINALLY!
I’m sad that you lost inches, but at least the worst of it seems to be over. Victories are victories lol

sunnieb

After a 2 1/2 year hiatus, my signature bun will return this week! :)

I'll start going in the office once a week and can't go in with my "Zoom" twist and tuck. :lol:

Here are 3 practice buns from this afternoon. I can't believe how out of practice I am! I used to swoop my hair up in a perfect bun without thinking.

20220710_172012_resized.jpg20220710_171234_resized.jpg20220710_172154_resized.jpg