Relaxed girls with long hair.....

daviine

I have a question. Did you achieve your long hair before you relaxed it?

I mean--were you natural with long hair (or a considerable length of hair) and then relaxed it?

Or did you pretty much start off relaxed and grew your hair out relaxed?

Thanks.I hope my question made sense.

BlkMane

Davine-

When I was young, my hair grew out to midback when it was completely virgin. As a young pre-teen, I had my hair relaxed and didn't lose any length as a result.

Some years later, I cut my hair to a very short haircut about 1 1/2-2 inches all around (while still relaxed), kept it only for a summer then just let my hair grow. My hair had no problems growing back. One year later, my hair was past my shoulders.

So, to answer your question. Relaxing my hair has never drastically affected my hair growth.

But, I've always taken good care of my hair even in my youth. I always rollerset, put it up at night, and my mom gave me most of my relaxers back in the day. I almost never went to a salon, but when I did, it was a Dominican salon and the lady didn't overlap and took good care of my hair.

Paris Belle

Yes, my hair was long and a coarse 3C. When I was very little like 2-3, it was down to my waist. As I got older, it was midback. But my mother rarely trimmed my hair. I would go for years without trimming..And she didn't do the hot oil treatments and deep conditioner treatments as frequently. She took great care of my hair otherwise. Shampooing, greasing and cornrowing my hair weekly.

I relaxed my hair in 1992. I was a few months shy of being 13. From then on I went to a salon or took care of my hair myself. I wanted a relaxer because I wanted different styles and I didn't want to depend on my mother so much anymore. I used Optimum and then switched later to Motions when Optimum started to damage my hair.

zanna

I already had long natural hair(mid-back)as a child, never waist, and I wanted waist lenght hair so bad! I envied my cousins who had waist lenght hair(natural, beautiful braids of natural 3c, 2a type hair, kind of like me)!. I started relaxing my hair at 21 years old. I neved lost lenght after I started relaxing it, until I decided to put a color in my hair myself(result:dry hair and breakage). I had to cut it shoulder lenght then! /images/graemlins/whyme.gif

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I've had relaxed hair since I was about 8 or 9. My hair didn't start to get long until I was a teenager. Nevertheless, it did get long. It's currently bra strap length.

mirrormirror

I started out with long hair even before my relaxer days. I got my first relaxer when I was 13 and my hair seemed to be even longer. But when I got my hair relaxed, I didn't know much about relax hair care so I did anything and everything to it. So when I was about 14 my hair broke off tremendously. And then I would hate when family and friends would ask me what happened to my hair, it got short. So by the time I was 16 my hair grew back, but then when I was 17 I decided to bleach my hair and my hair broke off again. But now I am 21 and my hair is growing back and healthy. But I can only imgaine that my hair would be much longer if I took care of it.

mirrormirror

And now that I think about it I had a really bad hair regimen, I only washed my hair every two-three weeks and I would flat iron my hair everyday and use vaseline as hair dressing..........Yuck, I cant beleive I was doing that all these years.

I actually started rollersets and deep conditioning when I was about 19.

jrw

I started relaxing my hair when I was about 12. At that time it had been past shoulder length but I never considered it long. Throughout high school it was mid back length. So I guess my hair was relaxed before it became long.

Allandra

My hair was long before I got it relaxed (been relaxing for a LONG time now). So, yes it was long when it was natural, but not as long as it is now.

adrienne0914

my hair was short and relaxed for many years. it's longer now for one reason: i changed my bad habits. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

LondonDiva

When I was natural my hair stayed a stagnant length. Not because it was natural just because I didn't have the hair know how like I do now. I relaxed my hair when it was around the beginning of my neck and kept the length ever since because of all the knowledge on the hair board. Other than that when I was a child I never had long hair, but that's down to my mother now knowing how to take care of my hair properly.

G

Okay, my hair isn't very long, but I know that it does have the ability to grow long. I got my first perm at 9 years old. My hair was bra-strap when I was 11! But it broke off terribly the following year, and now I know that it could've been from my first onset of hyperthyroidism. After that, I had to start all over, and I was doing fine until had a major setback in '01. I lost alot of length because I kept the braids in too long, and it didn't help when the stupid stylist cut off at least 2 inches. I made a huge mistake by visiting her, a scissor happy stylist. I was seeing her from April '01 til October '02. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! I was getting trims every 8 weeks, and then couldn't wonder why my hair wasn't growing. Over that period of time, I honestly have to say that I lost at least 6 inches of hair that was unnecessarily cut! My gawd! And then I made the ultimate mistake...I asked her to layer the front of hair!!!!!!!!! My hair is still recovering! My heezy sheezy! And she kept making stupid comments about my hair, like "Why does it look like this? What did you do to it?" I couldn't take that abuse anymore. So now, I haven't had a trim since last September, and my hair is doing great! But I wish I had never let her cut my hair period. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

lala

I've always had long hair. I had my 1st relaxer @ 16 and let it grow out off & on for about 5 years. I would basically get a relaxer 1x a year. Then I got tired of it and started relaxing every 6-8 wks. (my current routine). I have to admit that my hair grew faster without the relaxer b/c of my sensitive scalp, but it's still long.