Relaxed hair and protein treatments

JeeJee1219

Hello all!! So I have a few questions about protein treatments. I'm currently natural but I'm going back relaxed pretty soon. I know now that it is extremely important to have a proetein/moisture balance. I have 0 experience with protein. I've read that it's good to do a light protein treatment weekly but every so often you should do a hard protein treatment. My question is, if I was to do aphogee 2 step every 6 weeks or so, that following week is it still safe and recommend to do a light treatment even though the results from aphogee supposedly lasts for 6 weeks? Also, how often do you ladies use sulfate shampoos? Or do you not use them? Don't hesitate to let me know your whole routine lol Thank you!!

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I think it’s up to your hair really. Some people do well with heavy protein often, and some people’s hair is protein sensitive. Me I only use hard protein if I have an excessive amount of shedding. Otherwise I just use the mild protein weekly. I use sulfate shampoo once a week. I usually don’t use heat, but I do a full wash once a week, and a co wash mid week. Sometimes I do the full wash on Sundays and the cowash on Wednesday, or sometimes I’ll flip it around. Full wash consists of shampoo, mild protein for 15 minutes (no heat, plastic shower cap) , moisturizing deep conditioner (15 minutes shower cap, hot head), towel dry for about 10 then blow dry if I’m using head, otherwise I’d just towel dry until fully dry. Co wash is, cowash with one conditioner, then deep condition for with 15 with or without heat. Once it gets colder I usually skip the mid week cowash, and just do the full wash.

JeeJee1219

I think it’s up to your hair really. Some people do well with heavy protein often, and some people’s hair is protein sensitive. Me I only use hard protein if I have an excessive amount of shedding. Otherwise I just use the mild protein weekly. I use sulfate shampoo once a week. I usually don’t use heat, but I do a full wash once a week, and a co wash mid week. Sometimes I do the full wash on Sundays and the cowash on Wednesday, or sometimes I’ll flip it around. Full wash consists of shampoo, mild protein for 15 minutes (no heat, plastic shower cap) , moisturizing deep conditioner (15 minutes shower cap, hot head), towel dry for about 10 then blow dry if I’m using head, otherwise I’d just towel dry until fully dry. Co wash is, cowash with one conditioner, then deep condition for with 15 with or without heat. Once it gets colder I usually skip the mid week cowash, and just do the full wash.
Thank you so much for your reply. What protein treatment do you use?

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
Hi all this is my first post as i decided to take out a subscription but have been viewing this forum for about 10 years.

Yes over the years i have used ORS cholesterol protein treatment maybe once per month, but after reading up on this subject and did a bit of research on the Mizani line i bought some of the older lines which are discontinued the Mizani Fulfyl (mild protein) gave my hair life i used it with a heat cap for 30 mins my hair desperately needed this stuff it was wonderful i couldn't stop touching my hair because of it. the ORS or any other brand of protein i have used over the years didn't yield this kind of result so i am glad i found this all be it when its discontinued, so I'll treasure what i have.

Theresamonet

It’s my experience that a regularly scheduled hard protein treatment is/or may not be necessary if you are using enough protein on a regular basis. If you are properly relaxing, and using a good protein treatment weekly, that should be sufficient. Now if you’ve gotten into a situation where you’ve over processed, or some other type of potentially damaging situation, then you can bring out the hard stuff.

As you stated, it’s about having properly balanced hair. So if you are keeping your hair balanced, and then you come in with this hard treatment for no reason, you’ve now thrown off that balance, and the protein is no longer an aid to your hair.

This is one of those things where you need to have a plan, but also play it by ear. Don’t throw anything in your hair, before first truly assessing what it needs.

waff

Not all protein is equal. There is simple amino acids and wheat protein and than there is hydrolyzed. Hydrolyzed is more likely to absorb. Within the hydrolyzed there is different kinds: keratin, collagen. Joico k pak uses hydrolyzed human keratin which is unique. Different protein ingredients have different molecular sizes and properties therefore yielding different results.

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
Y
Not all protein is equal. There is simple amino acids and wheat protein and than there is hydrolyzed. Hydrolyzed is more likely to absorb. Within the hydrolyzed there is different kinds: keratin, collagen. Joico k pak uses hydrolyzed human keratin which is unique. Different protein ingredients have different molecular sizes and properties therefore yielding different results.
What is this human keratin?