Relaxed hair and the curly/wavy look

daviine

Since the weather is getting a teeny bit warmer, I can't help but get excited about all the things I want to do my hair. One of the things I want to do is wear the curly look. In the past, I would leave conditioner in my hair to achieve curl formation. However, I think I remember people mentioning that they use certain products to help them with curl formation. I think I also read that someone "scrunches" their hair after using said product.

Please share the products you use and how you use them to wear the curly look.

Thanks!!!!

daviine

G

I use the "scrunch method", I wash and condition in the shower. I comb the hair out completely and I apply a leave in conditioner, a hair polisher and some olive oil and scrunch away. I use a blowdrier on warm low heat if I need it to dry fast, but other wise I just let it airdry and my hair turns out beautifully. Or, I apply the same products and do the ponytail method, swooping my pony to the side (very sexy!!!) and scrunch the length of the ponytail. When it dries it looks all pretty and wavy.
(Speaking of which, I'm going to have to start doing these styles again for spring. I am going to take pictures soon of all my hair styles, my recent growth etc... I need to make a new picture trail album especially for spring. I'll start working on it soon. )

Kamilla16

Hi /images/graemlins/wave.gif When I want a curly look, I wash my hair and then use S-Curl activator and scrunch my hair. I love the look that I get.

LuvableLady

I'm no longer relaxed but when I was and wanted that wavy/curly look I simply washed and let air dry and it dried wavy. That was a style that I loved because it actually had the look of natural loosely curled hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would put rollers on the ends (after the hair was about 75% dry) then I'd get a combination of waves and curls that way there was no need for me to scrunch, just a shake.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I air dry completely or partially, then lightly diffuse.

1. I sometimes spritz with a glycerin/water mix.

2. I mix Care Free Curl Gold or Glycerin with Suave Humectant.

3. I have used Aura Cacia gel and scrunched to get more curls.

4. I've also used Soft & Beautiful Botanicals products. They are Lite Creme Moisturizer for natural/texturized styles and another product called Shining Gel. Warning: They both have mineral oil in them.

Last summer I used John Freida's Ripple Effect. First I put Kiehls Silk Groom throughout washed hair still damp. This stops the frizz. Then squirted the R.E. all over, paying attention to the ends, scrunching hand fulls of hair. I'd do this throughout the afternoon in the hot warm air and the hair would dry with waves. This summer I'll experiment with a different curling product. There's a couple I want to try out...

This year I've got similar results by squirting s-curl activator throughout on freshly washed hair, plaiting two pigtails and air drying. After the pigtails are undone, the hair is soft and wavy. Sometimes I add some extra virgin olive oil to the conditioner before rinsing and doing the s-curl which keeps the hair even softer.

mirrormirror

When I want to wear my hair wavy/curly, I do a conditioner wash. Then I apply Sebastian's Curl polish and then let air-dry. I scrunch a litle bit.

Allandra

I pretty much do what Valleygirl does.

1. apply leave-in conditioner
2. apply curl activator
3. apply gel

Sometimes I scrunch, and sometimes I don't scrunch. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Karonica

Last summer, I used Ripple Effect by John Frieda. I liked it a bunch, but I later learned how to do this with gel and/or mousse (both gives me better results). After applying a leave-in, I load the gel and mousse in (preferable Pantene curly mousse, because it has no alcohol) and I scrunch away! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beana3

umm.. maybe i have some weird alien hair or something, but the only way i can achieve this look is by doing a braid/twist out!!! my 4a hair wont give a darn if i scrunch it all say, if i want a nice style, I'll be creating it artifcially images/graemlins/grin.gif

Allandra

You're no alien hon. The only reason why it works for me is because I don't have my hair relaxed bone straight (which saves most of my natural waves). I think braid outs and twist outs are a great alternative.

churchlady

Hi Dev
I'm doing this right now. I put a good amount of WOC gel moisturizer in my hair, I then plate it in six braids, two down the middle and two on either side. By morning or after a couple of hours I take out the braids, put some oil (efa) or some jamaican mango and lime dread lock hair grease, my hair is curly,wavy and moisturized.