Relaxed Hair Thread

FelaShrine

after getting a color rinse or demi-perm is it all about moiusture when it comes to the CD, or mix of protein/moisture or more protein-y?

Trying to figure out what DC to use after the demi tomorrow. :ohwell:

outspokenwallflower..what do you usually do after redken shades eq (Im getting onyx again tomorrow)

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
after getting a color rinse or demi-perm is it all about moiusture when it comes to the CD, or mix of protein/moisture or more protein-y? Trying to figure out what DC to use after the demi tomorrow. :ohwell: outspokenwallflower..what do you usually do after redken shades eq (Im getting onyx again tomorrow)

It could depend on your hair. Rinses act like protein on my hair so I need tons of moisture that surpass one wash day so it becomes really hard to do these successfully. I would recommend moisture based on my experience for conditioning. Maybe others can chime in.

NGraceO

Finally did my beloved Aphogee two step protein treatment last after god knows how long. My hair feels back to normal....actin like it has some sense.

I nixed the idea of stretching to December after I solidified my desire to stay texlaxed. I plan to relax next weekend.

Now to go pick up my weekly protein condish that I ran out of forever ago...wth have I been doing with my hair? Lol

KhandiB

My hair retains so much more moisture when I heat style on wash day. Air dried hair gets very dry and crunchy throughout the week. I will TRY my best to heat style weekly from here on out. If I skip a week, I will make sure I go back to heat styled hair the following week. I'm thinking ponytail roller sets, flexi rod sets, etc.

Me too. No matter how much I try to do little or no heat it's a disaster lol

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Me too. No matter how much I try to do little or no heat it's a disaster lol

KhandiB, my disasters was subtle and didn't punch me in my face, thus I kept air drying each week. I can air dry with success but it's the mid week dryness that created issue. A little breakage here, a little breakage there. I will hang in there with using heat to see if it's a better option as new growth kicks in. I hope to use heat this entire stretch so that I can make a good analysis of which is better for my hair - air drying or heat styling.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
KhandiB, my disasters was subtle and didn't punch me in my face, thus I kept air drying each week. I can air dry with success but it's the mid week dryness that created issue. A little breakage here, a little breakage there. I will hang in there with using heat to see if it's a better option as new growth kicks in. I hope to use heat this entire stretch so that I can make a good analysis of which is better for my hair - air drying or heat styling.

I'm setting twice a month now. If you can, just heat style and wash less.

naturalagain2

Was going to do a perm rod set but I don't have the time this evening. I think I will just bun for the week. My hair feels so good since cutting out the protein. Its been 10 weeks since my last touch up and I'm having no problems with my new growth. I was going to do a TU at 12 wks but I think I will add one more wk and relax at 13.

FelaShrine

It could depend on your hair. Rinses act like protein on my hair so I need tons of moisture that surpass one wash day so it becomes really hard to do these successfully. I would recommend moisture based on my experience for conditioning. Maybe others can chime in.

Thanks I ended up using joico Treatment Balm which is really nice btw..after dontspeakdefeat kept going on about it, I took my butt to Marshalls :lol:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Thanks I ended up using joico Treatment Balm which is really nice btw..after dontspeakdefeat kept going on about it, I took my butt to Marshalls :lol:

Yes!!!!! But I noticed after her thread they were all out of joico at my Marshall's :lol: right before that they were fully loaded. Too many lurkers.

outspokenwallflower

FelaShrine redken is my favorite demi color because it never leaves my hair feeling 'funny' afterwards. I use pretty much ANY moisturizing dc after. I apply shades eq to dry hair, so I just go about my regular wash routine of shampoo and deep conditioning. Just to ensure the color lasts (although shades eq and onyx especially last forever anyway) I use their new chromatic color DC. Its very nice. :yep:

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Yes!!!!! But I noticed after her thread they were all out of joico at my Marshall's :lol: right before that they were fully loaded. Too many lurkers.

I went to Marshall's and they didn't have it. I ended up ordering the treatment balm from Amazon, but I used it during my last wash and I really liked it. Thanks to dontspeakdefeat, I even bought the Keracare Restorative Mask and a magic tape for my flat iron lol.

FelaShrine

ha not surprised Saludable84

FelaShrine redken is my favorite demi color because it never leaves my hair feeling 'funny' afterwards. I use pretty much ANY moisturizing dc after. I apply shades eq to dry hair, so I just go about my regular wash routine of shampoo and deep conditioning. Just to ensure the color lasts (although shades eq and onyx especially last forever anyway) I use their new chromatic color DC. Its very nice. :yep:

Thanks. so you stick to onyx now?

by the way do you use the whole bottle?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I went to Marshall's and they didn't have it. I ended up ordering the treatment balm from Amazon, but I used it during my last wash and I really liked it. Thanks to dontspeakdefeat, I even bought the Keracare Restorative Mask and a magic tape for my flat iron lol.

I found a lot of 4 of the 1.7 ounce I believe on eBay for like $18. Still debating on the purchase because I have enough crap. I didn't mind getting one from Marshall's, but 4.... Idk. I just don't need more junk lol. I'll keep hunting.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I found a lot of 4 of the 1.7 ounce I believe on eBay for like $18. Still debating on the purchase because I have enough crap. I didn't mind getting one from Marshall's, but 4.... Idk. I just don't need more junk lol. I'll keep hunting.

I hear you. Even with my Pj'ism I probably wouldn't get the 4 unless it's a staple product I use often. Ebay is a good place though to find stuff when all else fails though lol, I've been finding Japanese hair products that so far work well for my hair.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Ok, it's official....I HAVE to go back to lye relaxers. No lye is about to make me have a setback.

What happened? I have a sensitive scalp, that's why I have stuck to no lye. The last time I used lye, it was MBB and I experienced horrible scalp burns. I bought Linage a few months ago based on good reviews but I'm still hesitating on using it.

Destiny9109

What happened? I have a sensitive scalp, that's why I have stuck to no lye. The last time I used lye, it was MBB and I experienced horrible scalp burns. I bought Linage a few months ago based on good reviews but I'm still hesitating on using it.

My scalp is ALWAYS dry and flaky. I don't burn with lye or no lye. I used to use MBB lye, but it didn't get my hair as straight as I wanted. Maybe I'll look into Nairobi and Design Essentials lye relaxers.

FelaShrine

Ok, it's official....I HAVE to go back to lye relaxers. No lye is about to make me have a setback.

amen. Ive been spending time looking up reviews on relaxers to use next touch-up..my nape is looking crazy and the dryness even after a regular chelating and fresh rollersets..HH Sprout has been a God-send..after my recent rollerset I used it all over and my hair is looking and feeling so much better

but yea iono about this no-lye life..I have read good reviews regarding Phyto and Hawaiian Silky no-lye but with LiOH..so maybe i'll try those before i go fully back to lye..I dont know

divachyk

Saludable84, my scalp likes once weekly wash days. I will force myself to carve out the time to do heat styles! I washed last night and flexi'd my hair again and I'm pleased. :grin: The drying times is nuts though but it's so well worth it during the week -- less combing, breakage and styling. How long does it take you to dry?

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
My scalp is ALWAYS dry and flaky. I don't burn with lye or no lye. I used to use MBB lye, but it didn't get my hair as straight as I wanted. Maybe I'll look into Nairobi and Design Essentials lye relaxers.

Oh ok, I understand. If you don't burn easily and no lye is causing dry scalp issues then might as well go with lye. I've heard good things about Nairobi.

Beamodel

Y'all I tried affirm Fiberguard mild lye and I am in love. Highly doubt I will look back to another relaxer.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Saludable84, my scalp likes once weekly wash days. I will force myself to carve out the time to do heat styles! I washed last night and flexi'd my hair again and I'm pleased. :grin: The drying times is nuts though but it's so well worth it during the week -- less combing, breakage and styling. How long does it take you to dry?

My scalp like 1 week too but my hair survives better with 2 weeks. My scalp hasn't been that intolerable but it's easier to start with stretching wash day by a day or two here and there and it might work. Under the dryer it 50 minutes dry or not lol. But for the most part 50 minutes is good enough. Then again, I use big rollers. Smaller rollers are about an hour.

GeminiGem

Does anyone use silk elements lye relaxer? I used this for a few years and never got one burn. When I decided to go back to relaxing, I used it in mild (trying to texlax, but it left too much texture).

Ms. Tiki

I texlaxed tonight and I swear I was scratching my crown like I had fleas. OMG! Not used to this and the ACV rinse didn't help. Time to create a plan

Destiny9109

Y'all I tried affirm Fiberguard mild lye and I am in love. Highly doubt I will look back to another relaxer.

Beamodel Do you use the whole system? An old stylist used the original Affirm on me, but skimped on the other steps(most importantly the reconstructor) and it thinned my hair out something horrible. I have steered clear of Affirm relaxers since.

Beamodel

Beamodel Do you use the whole system? An old stylist used the original Affirm on me, but skimped on the other steps(most importantly the reconstructor) and it thinned my hair out something horrible. I have steered clear of Affirm relaxers since.

I will get the Reconstructor once I use up the other reconstructors I already have. I think the Fiberguard is better than the regular one. Well from what I've read.

NGraceO

So I said I'd be touching up this weekend, but seeing as though I installed Senegalese twists the very next day....

I probably won't be touching up for another four to five weeks.

I really didn't plan to go 5 months. I was supposed to be trying a shorter stretch.

divachyk

So I said I'd be touching up this weekend, but seeing as though I installed Senegalese twists the very next day....

I probably won't be touching up for another four to five weeks.

I really didn't plan to go 5 months. I was supposed to be trying a shorter stretch.

I'd love to see pics NGraceO