Relaxed Hair Thread

D.Lisha

Re: Relaxed Hair THREAD!!

Hey ladies!
Relaxed 4B checking here. Currently APL length, trying to make it to BSL....had a recent set back *sigh*
Current Regimen:
-Wash once a week with Aussie Moist 'Poo, Head-N-Shoulders 'Poo & Gentle Naturals Baby Cradle Cap 'Poo (I have eczema)
-Deep Condition with Africa's Best Organic Deep Conditioner overnight
-Airdry 99.9% of the time
-Bun 80% of the time
-Nightly Baggie at least 3 times a week
-Stretch relaxers for 10-12 weeks
-Relax with ORS in Normal strength
-Cover head with satin scarf every night
-Moisturize (w/Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-in) Seal (w/Hot six Oil, or Coconut Oil)

That sums it up for me.
Now ladies, I have a question you all:
My last relaxer was last Saturday, Here is the thread in which I documentated my update.
Now my mommy did give me alittle trim to help out my ends, but my hair is still longer on one side than the other.......and it's urking the h3ll out me of me more and more everyday!
What do you ladies think I should do? Should I just wait until it gets alittle longer and then trim it evenly? Or just go ahead and trim it now to get it over and done with? :ohwell:
I keep saying to myself "Don't worry 'Lisha, it will even up on it's on by the time you get your summer growth spurt".......I'm jst at my wit's end with it all.....

GraceV

Great thread OP.

I see many ladies here are still using their glycerin-based leave-ins. I'm itching to get back to my S-Curl but I heard it could dry out the hair since winter air is dry. What extra precautions are you ladies taking along with using the glycerin-based products? Do you notice any difference in your hair with the glycerin based leave-ins in the winter?

ETA: I'm right at APL, hoping for BSL by the end of the year.

I relax every 12-14 weeks with ORS lye

Wash (mainly my scalp) weekly with any SLS shampoo I touch (Rotating: Joice K-pak shampoo, Silk Elements Neutralizing shampoo :spank:, Vo5 clarifying shampoo).

Cowash maybe once a week if my hair feels dry or I'm too lazy to wash (cowash more in the warmer months).

DC with Kenra MC for 5 minutes in the shower.

Heavy Protein Tx once a month with Joico K-Pak reconstructor

Light protein Tx every 2 weeks (Aphogee 2 minute)

Leave ins: Neutrogena triple moisture mixed with MnT condish. If after a protein Tx, I leave out the MnT. Seal with EVOO+EVCO mix. Castor oil to edges.

Bun 99% after air drying. Occasionally blow dry 80% dry hair if I have to head out into the cold.

Trim as needed-- which isn't often.

Last edited:

ellehair

Grace - question cause ive been stalking you since your DC thread, lol Where r u buying your kenra mc and whats the norm price for the 33 oz??

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

I just relaxed today. I was 14 weeks post, I think. I used Mizani BB Super. I left it on for 15 mins (half and half method) and I'm not bone straight. I would say 85-90% straight. This is my first time using MBB. I like it, but I'm not blown away. I'll probably go back to ORS Lye or Silk Elements Lye when I finish the tub.

please post back after your first wash to let me know how your hair looks

SqrpioQutie

finally... a thread where i don't feel like a minority....

right now, i'm just past SL after several cuts and some damage over the past 2 years.... before, i went from a BC to MBL, so right now i'm aiming to recreate that growth (but just to BSL max)....

i'm trying to find a new reggie that works since i can't really remember all that i used to do... the plan is to wash twice per week and either bun or rollerset.... i rediscovered satin covered sponge rollers and those work great for me for after i airdry in a bun... i use both cassia and henna (just did a henna treatment tonight) because i haven't done anything to improve the strength of my hair in a really long time... i really feel like i'm back at "one"....

internally, i concentrate on eating more protein and i also take folic acid....

i used to stretch for 12-16 weeks... right now i'm experimenting to see how long i can go so there's no cap on this stretch...

ah support.... gotta love it... :)

Junebug D

Relaxed APL 4b here. I don't do a whole lot to my hair, just at a "happy medium" now.

I stretch 12-16 weeks, although it's been more like 16 weeks rather than 12 lately. My stylist uses Syntonics relaxer.

I wear buns and rollersets during the week. Rollersets usually last me about 3 days, the rest of the week I'll wear a bun or have it pinned-up in a banana clip (I need to take pictures of this style...).

I shampoo & DC weekly. right now I am using Elasta QP Creme Conditioning shampoo. Kenra MC is my staple DC, but I use Aubrey HSR when my hair is extra-dry.

Moisturize and seal nightly w/ NTM Silk Touch and Avocado oil.

Light protein every 2 or 3 weeks, hard protein when needed. I am wondering if I should start using more protein though.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation

Relaxed 4a/4b APL checking in!

-relax every 12 weeks
-trim with every relaxer
-Splitender every 6-8 weeks
-prepoo with EVCO
-shampoo/DC weekly
-close cuticles with ACV
-leave in conditioners (Aphogee Green Tea and Pro-Vitamin, Cantu Break Cure, GVP Silk Remedy
-moisture and seal nightly (or almost every night :blush:) with WN or S-Curl and Hollywood Beauty Argan Oil or Castor Oil
-Aphogee 2 Step Protein treatment one week before and one week after relaxer
-Aphogee 2 Min reconstructor with Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair every other shampoo
-Air dry 99% of time (blow dry only for length checks)
-Bun 99% of time (wear hair down only when I travel which isn't often or if I don't wear a lacefront/half wig; when it is down, I do flexirods on dry hair or flat iron)

GraceV

Grace - question cause ive been stalking you since your DC thread, lol Where r u buying your kenra mc and whats the norm price for the 33 oz??
ellehair (I tried to use the mention function... FAIL).
:lol: I got mine from ULTA. I think I paid around $24 for the liter (I'm not sure if I used a coupon). I have heard that when they go on sale you could get them for $15 or less. You just gotta catch a good sale.

Last edited:

GraceV

That sums it up for me.
My last relaxer was last Saturday, Here is the thread in which I documentated my update.
Now my mommy did give me alittle trim to help out my ends, but my hair is still longer on one side than the other.......and it's urking the h3ll out me of me more and more everyday!
What do you ladies think I should do? Should I just wait until it gets alittle longer and then trim it evenly? Or just go ahead and trim it now to get it over and done with? :ohwell:
I keep saying to myself "Don't worry 'Lisha, it will even up on it's on by the time you get your summer growth spurt".......I'm jst at my wit's end with it all.....

I saw that thread. I say it depends on whether your ends are damaged and how you plan to wear your hair. If the ends are damaged and/or you plan to wear straight styles then you may need another trim. If the ends are healthy and/or you plan to wear curly styles or bun I say leave the hair and give it time to grow out.

One of 2 things could be the case: 1. lead hairs (do a search for that thread) or 2. Just uneven growth. If it's 1, then giving your hair some time to grow out may even it up a little so that you may not need to trim as much as if you went ahead and did another trim now. If it's 2, just the pattern in which your hair grows then you can slowly trim over a period of time rather than losing all your progress.

Your hair looks better now than it did so be patient with it. While you're chilling, try to find out what is (if any) in your regimen that it compromising your ends.

niqu92

Hey ladies!
Relaxed 4B checking here. Currently APL length, trying to make it to BSL....had a recent set back *sigh*
Current Regimen:
-Wash once a week with Aussie Moist 'Poo, Head-N-Shoulders 'Poo & Gentle Naturals Baby Cradle Cap 'Poo (I have eczema)
-Deep Condition with Africa's Best Organic Deep Conditioner overnight
-Airdry 99.9% of the time
-Bun 80% of the time
-Nightly Baggie at least 3 times a week
-Stretch relaxers for 10-12 weeks
-Relax with ORS in Normal strength
-Cover head with satin scarf every night
-Moisturize (w/Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-in) Seal (w/Hot six Oil, or Coconut Oil)

That sums it up for me.

i feel you, the left side of my hair grows MUCH faster than my right side. it was about (and im not even kidding) 2 1/2 inches longer than my right side so i went to great clips last week and got it evened out. it looks a lot better and fuller now so im happy i did it,when i reach WL it'll look a lot better now because everything will be even. So its really up to you,if the un-even-ness bothers you then i say go ahead and get it evened out

D.Lisha

I saw that thread. I say it depends on whether your ends are damaged and how you plan to wear your hair. If the ends are damaged and/or you plan to wear straight styles then you may need another trim. If the ends are healthy and/or you plan to wear curly styles or bun I say leave the hair and give it time to grow out.

One of 2 things could be the case: 1. lead hairs (do a search for that thread) or 2. Just uneven growth. If it's 1, then giving your hair some time to grow out may even it up a little so that you may not need to trim as much as if you went ahead and did another trim now. If it's 2, just the pattern in which your hair grows then you can slowly trim over a period of time rather than losing all your progress.

Your hair looks better now than it did so be patient with it. While you're chilling, try to find out what is (if any) in your regimen that it compromising your ends.

Hey!
Thanks for the input Grace. I am familiar with the lead hairs, which gives me alittle faith :). I'm going to do an extensive research on the "un-even growth" process as well.
And you're right....I have to do better about being patient, I guess being on these boards and seeing all of these beautiful heads of hair (yours included) it's easy to get caught up in the idea of long hair; to that point that all patience gots OUT the window :yep:

i feel you, the left side of my hair grows MUCH faster than my right side. it was about (and im not even kidding) 2 1/2 inches longer than my right side so i went to great clips last week and got it evened out. it looks a lot better and fuller now so im happy i did it,when i reach WL it'll look a lot better now because everything will be even. So its really up to you,if the un-even-ness bothers you then i say go ahead and get it evened out

Wow, a whole 2 1/2 inches longer? Lawd! lol.
But for what it's worth, judging from your siggy pic...ya hair is beautiful :).
I think imma give mine alil bit of time, maybe after the summer before I pick up the shears again. Hopefully by April (when my next relaxer is due) I will come back in here with a success story! :rolleyes:

grow

hi my fellow relaxed ladies!

thanks for making this thread OP!:yep:

my reggie consists mostly of cowashing and bunning.
i very rarely wear my hair out and i have not used direct heat since nov.'09.
i came to lhcf with severly damaged hair from bone-laxing and using flat irons with hot rollers every week which was too much for my hair's fine texture, so i've worked on changing all those habits and my hair is thanking me by growing longer than i've ever seen it. (except when i used to wear weaves,lol!)

i am an ayurveda luva for life!
so that's the wash and condition part of my reggie, which i do 2-3 times a week mostly making pastes. (details in blog)
i oil my hair and scalp every single day with my homemade oils (mostly based in evoo) and moisturize with KCKT or Giovanni Leave In.

i also dc on dry hair at least twice a week and use the entire AO line as it has become a staple.

i do scalp massages as often as i can and drink freshly juiced fruits and veggies regularly. (schedule permitting)

i texlax once every 3 months using kiddie perms and adding oils to the mix. i do the protein midstep (AO GPB and Redken Extreme Deep Fuel for the Ceramdes).

i deep protein treat my hair once every 6-8 weeks using Dudley's DRC 28 and will soon try henna and indigo, as well.

if and when i do wear my hair out (siggy pics) i either rollerset it, wrap it, or let it air dry, but i mostly baggy bun.

D.Lisha, i also think you have a lead hair situation going on sweets!:yep:
if it's not damaged, you can try going heavy on the bunning while keeping those precious ends very well moisturized and sealed. by the summer, you can re-assess how it's doing, but i wouldn't trim just yet.

Last edited:

bigbrowneyez

Valentines day hair! 9weeks post

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America

I use the SAA in my deep conditioner. I mix about 1 tbsp into my AOHSR.

I also use it in my leave-in conditioner. My current leave in is Chi Keratin mist mixed with SAA, topped with Jane Carter's Nourishing Creme.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations

About 11 weeks post. Bought some jojoba milk from SSI too try out. I love my BM Luscious Moisturizer but it can get a bit heavy for some styles.

ellehair

Good morning ladies - 6 weeks post aiming for 10. Ughh i gotta find a good moisturizing DC - my pjism got the best of me yesterday and i bought the CON moisturizing extreme condish - jury is still out, i dont know what happened but my hair came out a tangled mess last night so i'm hoping that condish was not the culprit since the bottle is so big!! Ill try it again in a few days and see.

Grace thanks for the answer.. I signed up for Ulta and trades secrets website so i can catch a good sale:)

GraceV

Good morning ladies - 6 weeks post aiming for 10. Ughh i gotta find a good moisturizing DC - my pjism got the best of me yesterday and i bought the CON moisturizing extreme condish - jury is still out, i dont know what happened but my hair came out a tangled mess last night so i'm hoping that condish was not the culprit since the bottle is so big!! Ill try it again in a few days and see.

Grace thanks for the answer.. I signed up for Ulta and trades secrets website so i can catch a good sale:)
My hair hated this conditioner. This is probably the only conditioner I ever have returned. Others I would at least use them up as cowash conditioners but this one? No ma'am. My hair was a hardened, matted mess. Good luck with it.

ellehair

Grace - you must be reading my mind! I am so thinking about returning it, gonna look for the receipt today. my hair truly has not felt that way in ages, i was so confused! I loke could this product have done this to my hair??:blush::nono:

Raqkie

Hi Ladies,

Another relaxed 4-something head checking in:
-relax 12-16 weeks with SE Lye (recently had a set back so unofficially doing the hide your hair challenge)
-Prepoo with light protein and oil combo
-Wash and DC (with heat) once a week
-Trim as needed
-Medium protein (Duo Tech)week b4 and after relax
-Medium protein 8 weeks post if I think I need it
-Twice daily leave in
-Wigs are protective style of choice

Just purchased some WEN recently so as soon as the weather warms up a bit will try washing hair twice a week

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)

Hi Relaxed Ladies :bighug:

Soooo I am 4ab relaxed and right at APL. I think my final goal will be MBL. My initial goal was just to get to APL but now that I'm here, it feels sooo short :perplexed

My regimen is pretty simple:

Cowash weekly
Wash once per month
Deep Condition Weekly on Dry hair
Moisturize and Seal Daily
Apply sulfur, castor oil, or wild growth oil daily
Rollerset weekly
Relax every 12 weeks
Bun a few days out of the week, i was wearing wigs daily for the winter but now that its getting warmer the wigs have gone into hiding.

Thanks OP for this thread :yep:

SHEANITPRO

I'm a relaxed 4b. My latest relaxer was on yesterday and the result is shown in my siggy pic.

I keep my regimen simple:

Cowash once a week
Extreme low to no manipulation
Moisturize and baggy nightly
Relax every 15 weeks
Bun daily
I take a women's complete vitamin with extra iron daily

D.Lisha

hi my fellow relaxed ladies!

thanks for making this thread OP!:yep:

my reggie consists mostly of cowashing and bunning.
i very rarely wear my hair out and i have not used direct heat since nov.'09.
i came to lhcf with severly damaged hair from bone-laxing and using flat irons with hot rollers every week which was too much for my hair's fine texture, so i've worked on changing all those habits and my hair is thanking me by growing longer than i've ever seen it. (except when i used to wear weaves,lol!)

i am an ayurveda luva for life!
so that's the wash and condition part of my reggie, which i do 2-3 times a week mostly making pastes. (details in blog)
i oil my hair and scalp every single day with my homemade oils (mostly based in evoo) and moisturize with KCKT or Giovanni Leave In.

i also dc on dry hair at least twice a week and use the entire AO line as it has become a staple.

i do scalp massages as often as i can and drink freshly juiced fruits and veggies regularly. (schedule permitting)

i texlax once every 3 months using kiddie perms and adding oils to the mix. i do the protein midstep (AO GPB and Redken Extreme Deep Fuel for the Ceramdes).

i deep protein treat my hair once every 6-8 weeks using Dudley's DRC 28 and will soon try henna and indigo, as well.

if and when i do wear my hair out (siggy pics) i either rollerset it, wrap it, or let it air dry, but i mostly baggy bun.

D.Lisha, i also think you have a lead hair situation going on sweets!:yep:
if it's not damaged, you can try going heavy on the bunning while keeping those precious ends very well moisturized and sealed. by the summer, you can re-assess how it's doing, but i wouldn't trim just yet.

Hey grow!
Thanks for the input :). I have came to the conclusion that i'm gonna let my hair be (at least until the summer) to see what will happen. I"m hoping for the best!
*prays* lord please let this be lead hairs situation!

Sent from my DROID PRO using Long Hair Care Forum App

D.Lisha

Hi Relaxed Ladies :bighug:

Soooo I am 4ab relaxed and right at APL. I think my final goal will be MBL. My initial goal was just to get to APL but now that I'm here, it feels sooo short :perplexed

My regimen is pretty simple:

Cowash weekly
Wash once per month
Deep Condition Weekly on Dry hair
Moisturize and Seal Daily
Apply sulfur, castor oil, or wild growth oil daily
Rollerset weekly
Relax every 12 weeks
Bun a few days out of the week, i was wearing wigs daily for the winter but now that its getting warmer the wigs have gone into hiding.

Thanks OP for this thread :yep:
sthrnlady: enlighten me as to how u"re applying ur sulfur mix. Are u adding to ur DC, then washing it out? Or are u applying/massaging it into ur scalp?

Sent from my DROID PRO using Long Hair Care Forum App

baglady215

please post back after your first wash to let me know how your hair looks

I like that my hair still has some fullness and life. I did underprocess in a few areas but it's not a "bad" underprocess (unlike this patch I have from a couple of relaxers ago). I processed for 15 mins this time. I may add 2-3 mins next time to see if I can get it a little straighter. But I do like the way my hair is feeling, especially since I DC'd today with some Kenra.

back2relaxed

Hello!! Thanks for the thread!!

My hair is short...but here is my reggie, for all my fellow Pixies!!

Relaxer:

Affirm Regular, I get it done at the salon, usually every 5-6 weeks for the full head. I'm about to start doing a partial relaxer on the perimeter every 4 weeks, and then the full head every 8 weeks, since I'm now growing out just the top portion of my hair for a mohawk type look.

Wash:

Shampoo/CON/DC: All Keracare. I wash 1x/week.
I sometimes add EVOO, EVCO, Castor Oil to my DC.

Styling Products:
Keracare Defining Gel
Mizani Silk Gel
Nairobi Foam Wrap
Aphogee Shine Spray
Keracare Moisturizing Hair Dress(creme)

OhmyKimB

Okay so in three weeks I'm going to get highlights put into my hair, after that I'll have a new reggie and I did have a mini haul so I guess I'll post all that on my tumblr