Relaxed Hair Thread

Sosoothing

But does that show how long your hair has grown because my air dried hair is curly and not straight?

My hair is texlaxed so the length after airdrying isn't a 'true' length. But that doesn't bother me.
I suppose if I was interested in having my hair in its maximum stretched state I would blow dry and/or flat iron.

acapnleo

@acapnleo, @shortdub78 and @kikisf did you guys self relax or go to the shop? What's your "reggie?"

I self relaxed. My "reggie" is so simple... Lazy:look: if I'm being honest.

I've also dyed my hair a few days ago :blush: *at home*

The plan is to relax maybe 3-4 times per year- that's what I used to do. Looking back on old pics, I'd really done a good job, until I allowed my hair to be "professionally" colored. Things tanked from there :(

I'm probably going to lose another 1-3 inches of damaged ends.

I've been cowashing every couple of days since I colored my hair and even got my old friend Aussie moist back in the picture :)

Goal: MBL

Evolving78

I just self relaxed yesterday. I used ORS lye in normal. When I went back to relaxing I used a no-lye relaxer, since I wanted my hair bone straight. But it did leave me dry afterward, and the bone straight texture is fragile when the new growth comes in.

So, I decided to go with lye for my touchup. Lye relaxers tend to not get my hair bone straight. I was left with a great deal of texture using this relaxer. I remember now why I used Mizani, thinking I would get different results...smh

I applied the relaxer within 20 mins, then smoothed for 5 mins. I have fine hair to medium textured hair, with high density. I wasn't going to risk leaving it on longer.

The outcome is cool though. My new growth will kick back in by week 3. At least I won't have such a sharp line of demarcation.

There are some relaxed ladies that can just comb their hair with no problem. I wanna be in that group, so leaving texture, keeping up with my Moisture balance, and using heat weekly will work.

Rozlewis

To all the ladies who self relax at home, do you just airdry or you go ahead and blow dry and flat iron and how long does that take in total? I'm asking because I have a 2 year old who just can't go for 30 minutes without looking for me.

I air dry 80% and then blow dry with cold air before flat ironing.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I think I'm gonna try prettywitty77's version of a moisturizer, except I'm gonna modify it. She uses Hello Hydration conditioner, water, and vegetable glycerin. I'm gonna use my NG Marshmallow & Slippery Elm, water, and maybe a little bit of jbco thinned with another oil. I need to look in my hair tote to see what I have lmao

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I think I'm gonna try prettywitty77's version of a moisturizer, except I'm gonna modify it. She uses Hello Hydration conditioner, water, and vegetable glycerin. I'm gonna use my NG Marshmallow & Slippery Elm, water, and maybe a little bit of jbco thinned with another oil. I need to look in my hair tote to see what I have lmao
Have you not found a moisturizer that works?

Evolving78

Doing a prepoo treatment
Going to wash, clear rinse, and deep condition
I will be air drying blowing hair on cool and bunning.
I maybe able to cowash next time if I don't use oil on my hair when Moisturizing and sealing.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Need to take these bootlegs cornrows down so I can wash and do a protein treatment. Might do it around 12pm. The kid woke me up so I'm not exactly in the mood right now.

Fotchygirl

Doing a prepoo treatment
I maybe able to cowash next time if I don't use oil on my hair when Moisturizing and sealing.
Doing a prepoo treatment

@shortdub78 Do you secure your bun with pins? Mine comes undone because my hair is not long enough.

MzSwift

To all the ladies who self relax at home, do you just airdry or you go ahead and blow dry and flat iron and how long does that take in total? I'm asking because I have a 2 year old who just can't go for 30 minutes without looking for me.

Tardy to the party...
I do the whole shebang on relax day. It's the best day to take pix for me.

Maybe you can do the blow dry and flat iron in the living room with her. That way you guys are still together. That's what I do when DH gets needy. Same difference. Lol

Evolving78

@shortdub78 Do you secure your bun with pins? Mine comes undone because my hair is not long enough.
I'm just seeing this!
I use good day hair pins. I just picked some more up. They only sell them at Sally's. I really love the Goody spin pins. Walgreens and target carries them. Walgreens has the blonde color ones on sale. I usually get the dark. You may have to order the mini spin pins, if you can't find them in the store.
I also you big hair clips (they are like a claw, but flat) and roundish hair claws that can fit a bun.
Right now I got a good day hair pin in and two scrunchies. One to hold together, and the other for decoration! lol I got those from Walgreens
Also get some satin scrunchies! Etsy has some, or you can make your own! I plan on making some bun covers to fake it, until I make it! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_7654.JPG
    IMG_7654.JPG
    827.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Fotchygirl

Tardy to the party...
I do the whole shebang on relax day. It's the best day to take pix for me.

Maybe you can do the blow dry and flat iron in the living room with her. That way you guys are still together. That's what I do when DH gets needy. Same difference. Lol

My 2 year old is a boy @MzSwift, I have 2 clingy boys and it drives my DH crazy. I think I'm gonna try what the other ladies were saying and just air dry after my relaxers. I want to try and see if I can blow dry and flat iron at the end of the year and hopefully be surprised by the length. Since I was battling eczema last year I couldn't process my hair and when I finally did I found I was past APL, a length I was struggling for 2 years to get to. My hair isn't as thick though and needs a trim.

Evolving78

My 2 year old is a boy @MzSwift, I have 2 clingy boys and it drives my DH crazy. I think I'm gonna try what the other ladies were saying and just air dry after my relaxers. I want to try and see if I can blow dry and flat iron at the end of the year and hopefully be surprised by the length. Since I was battling eczema last year I couldn't process my hair and when I finally did I found I was past APL, a length I was struggling for 2 years to get to. My hair isn't as thick though and needs a trim.
Girl I got 3. Two boys, one girl. If that's what you have to do to keep the peace find, but they need to know that mommy needs to do other things as well. I have very demanding children. I got a 3 year that treats me like a servant, but best believe I'm gonna set out time to do my hair how I like it. When they come in the bathroom, I will either stop, or tell them to wait.

As far as your eczema, have you been using your hydrocortisone cream on your scalp?

Fotchygirl

No, I got this scalp tissue oil and was applying that and the aloe vera gel that I got from my friend religiously on my scalp every day. I was also very vigilant about not scratching my scalp (it was very itchy) which I'm still doing. With every wash my scalp finally cleared enough, it is still clear even now. I wish I can put my hair in a bun without having to comb it. I just don't get smooth results.

MzSwift

@Fotchygirl

Sorry about that, sis. Honest mistake.

I totally understand about clingy little ones. One of the ways I got my little man to mind me doing hair was to add him to the hair activities. We had family hair day on Sundays. I would put a DC on his head and cover w a plastic cap and then do mine. He loved it! He would play a video game or we would watch a movie while our hair was processing.

It also kept me consistent w my regi. I think that's the main reason I was able to grow to WL!

GL w whatever you decide and have fun! :)

Evolving78

@Fotchygirl

Sorry about that, sis. Honest mistake.

I totally understand about clingy little ones. One of the ways I got my little man to mind me doing hair was to add him to the hair activities. We had family hair day on Sundays. I would put a DC on his head and cover w a plastic cap and then do mine. He loved it! He would play a video game or we would watch a movie while our hair was processing.

It also kept me consistent w my regi. I think that's the main reason I was able to grow to WL!

GL w whatever you decide and have fun! :)
My little one is the most demanding child I have ever met! When I do my hair, he will keep coming in the bathroom telling me he has to wash his hands, give him a hug, handing me the remote to turn to Pj Masks, etc... he will get a blanket and will try to make me sit down and watch tv with him

MzSwift

My little one is the most demanding child I have ever met! When I do my hair, he will keep coming in the bathroom telling me he has to wash his hands, give him a hug, handing me the remote to turn to Pj Masks, etc... he will get a blanket and will try to make me sit down and watch tv with him

Lol! Too cute!
Yup, I had to move my hair station to the living room for that very reason. I bought a little caddy thingy and put what I needed for my hair in it. He was happy as long as we were in the same room together and I could respond to his every comment. Lol.