Relaxed Hair Thread

Evolving78

Hey ladies, I was watching a YouTube video and I thought I'd asked what do you do daily (or even weekly) to your relaxed hair (freshly relaxed and deep in a stretch) when it's really hot?
I put it on a bun, ponytail using a banana clip, use spin pins, or scrunchies too. I use headbands for my sides, or barrette clips to pin the sides down. If I really don't wanna be bothered, I wear a turban with some cute earrings. If I wanna be jazzy, I will just pin my hair down and wear my wig. I wash my hair twice a week. I just started using Creme Of Nature Argan oil cowash, so I will use that one wash, then the next wash, I will use shampoo.
I don't really comb through, or brush through my hair. I only comb my hair on wash day. I use the side of the comb or brush to smooth the hair a bit. I think doing that saves my hair from a lot of breakage.

LushLox

Hey ladies, I was watching a YouTube video and I thought I'd asked what do you do daily (or even weekly) to your relaxed hair (freshly relaxed and deep in a stretch) when it's really hot?

My hair is in some sort of wavy/curly style like 98% of the time. I will normally roller set at the weekend then pin curl during the week. I take the curls down and pull it to the side and will sometimes add a little flower. Or I will wear as a pony/bun and I wear it down now and again as I like to let my hair breathe.

I try not to pull to tight on the hair because it just results in hairline damage.

30AB666A-6875-43DC-AF2F-74CD3419EE87-480-0000009D78FE4650.jpeg IMG_0268.JPG [

LushLox

I slightly messed up my hair:( I tried to cut my own hair into a layered bob and it didn't come out too well. Prior to the cut it was alittle past SL. Now I have various pieces at CBL and EL. I had wanted to do one more drastic cut before I decided to grow out my hair. I may go to the salon and have them fix it and dye it. It's not too noticeable.

I haven't washed my hair since I relaxed. I think I may wash my hair today. Since my hair is short, I'm not too sure how I want to style my hair. I hate to wash my hair b/c my hair is still fairly straight, soft and manageable. I'm thinking I'll wear it curly.

Britt

Hi ladies! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and relax soon. From what I've been reading in this thread it seems Affirm fiberguard is the way to go? I remember that being a really good relaxer back in the day. My stylists uses Mizani butter blends though. I hope that goes well.

sunnieb

Stay on top of weekly clarifying, shampoo, and dc. Also weekly cowash with WEN.

Daily style is a simple ponytail with a flexi-8 clip, half up / half down with a small clip, or bun.

Temps get up to 113 degrees here on our hottest days.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
@sunnieb Whew, 113 degrees? I'd be ready to chop all my hair off :lachen:

That's my problem, I don't keep up with the weekly stuff cause I have "protective styles." I might need to go in the opposite direction and become more hands on.

Thanks for answering!

ItsMeLilLucky

I do. Not nearly as often as I should but yes. I do side ponytails, middle of my head, low buns, off center. Keep up with your protein and reconstructor. When I didn't use it I got those indentations you hear about.
I'm definitely gonna become more hands on as far as my hair is concerned. I think I get too lazy when I do "protective styles." If I do one, it's gonna be something that lasts a week.

Evolving78

My hair is in some sort of wavy/curly style like 98% of the time. I will normally roller set at the weekend then pin curl during the week. I take the curls down and pull it to the side and will sometimes add a little flower. Or I will wear as a pony/bun and I wear it down now and again as I like to let my hair breathe.

I try not to pull to tight on the hair because it just results in hairline damage.

View attachment 404109 View attachment 404111 [
This is what got me to BSL before. I haven't been rollersetting, since I'm working on my crown area. I will be back to setting by the winter. I don't pull tight either.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Do u guys use a heavy heavy protein the week after relaxing? I have some DRC.

I don't plan on using a heavy protein. I'm going to use the 2min aphogee. If you used a protein at the time of the relaxer and a week or two prior to relaxer; you shouldn't need a heavy protein after relaxing. I used the aphogee 2min after I rinsed out the relaxer and prior to neutralizing.

Royalq

I'm strongly considering relaxing my natural hair. But I'm curious about how to go about it. I've been natural for 6 years but I used to let the Dominicans relax my hair. They over lapped too much and my hair was thin. If possible I would like to self relax. I want to keep it thick and a bit textured. But my hair is so kinky I don't think I'll be able to cut through and apply quick enough for my whole head to process correctly. I wa 's thinking of blow drying my hair then relaxing it but is that too much manipulation? Any tips?

Evolving78

I'm strongly considering relaxing my natural hair. But I'm curious about how to go about it. I've been natural for 6 years but I used to let the Dominicans relax my hair. They over lapped too much and my hair was thin. If possible I would like to self relax. I want to keep it thick and a bit textured. But my hair is so kinky I don't think I'll be able to cut through and apply quick enough for my whole head to process correctly. I wa 's thinking of blow drying my hair then relaxing it but is that too much manipulation? Any tips?
Blow drying would be good.

Royalq

Hi ladies! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and relax soon. From what I've been reading in this thread it seems Affirm fiberguard is the way to go? I remember that being a really good relaxer back in the day. My stylists uses Mizani butter blends though. I hope that goes well.
Are you going from natural to relaxed?

ItsMeLilLucky

@Royalq I do my relaxer in half (left or right side first, then the opposite side next). Takes the pressure off having to beat the clock. Also since you're going from natural to relaxed 1. Buy at least 2 relaxers, maybe 3 so you don't run the risk of running out at a bad time. 2. comb the entire hair strand so your hair would be somewhat uniform. Also, if you want some type of texture left, add some oil to your relaxer. It'll slow the process down.

Royalq

@Royalq I do my relaxer in half (left or right side first, then the opposite side next). Takes the pressure off having to beat the clock. Also since you're going from natural to relaxed 1. Buy at least 2 relaxers, maybe 3 so you don't run the risk of running out at a bad time. 2. comb the entire hair strand so your hair would be somewhat uniform. Also, if you want some type of texture left, add some oil to your relaxer. It'll slow the process down.
Thank you thank you! I heard of the half and half method but would that cause a problem with the scalp that's in the middle? It's going to touch the relaxer twice wouldn't it? And what do you mean comb the strand? Comb it while the relaxer is in it to help straighten it?

ItsMeLilLucky

Thank you thank you! I heard of the half and half method but would that cause a problem with the scalp that's in the middle? It's going to touch the relaxer twice wouldn't it? And what do you mean comb the strand? Comb it while the relaxer is in it to help straighten it?
No problem. I look in the mirror to see placement of the relaxer in the middle. I use an application brush to apply so I can be intentional on where I place the relaxer. And yes comb the strand because you're doing a virgin relaxer and not a touch up. Do some strand tests (I actually cut little pieces from my head to do this, but you don't have to) to see how you wanna straighten your hair. Think of the strand test as a test run.