Relaxed Hair Thread

Evolving78

All of this talk of protein treatments had me to go and run out and get some aphogee 2 step. I used it tonight. I used the conditioner it comes with and my Silicon mix Bambu. I let that sit under the dryer for 10 mins. I will follow up next week with the 2 min, or switch conditioners. Like I might use the ORS replenishing. I used the Silicon leave-in and one and only Argan oil, to detangle and air dry. I'm trying to make sure I can make it 10-12 weeks, so I can switch to lye.

quirkydimples

And my hair laziness strikes again. I was just in here talking about flat ironing my bob, but guess who just did a blow dry and slapped a braid in the top?

Me. :look:

IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0091.JPG
My hair is still relatively blunt, so...meh.

Update: Duh! I finally figured out how not to post my photos so big. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LushLox

All of this talk of protein treatments had me to go and run out and get some aphogee 2 step. I used it tonight. I used the conditioner it comes with and my Silicon mix Bambu. I let that sit under the dryer for 10 mins. I will follow up next week with the 2 min, or switch conditioners. Like I might use the ORS replenishing. I used the Silicon leave-in and one and only Argan oil, to detangle and air dry. I'm trying to make sure I can make it 10-12 weeks, so I can switch to lye.

Why did you do that was your hair breaking or just a preventative measure?

Guinan

Re-Branding
My "relaxed" wng is holding up well. I haven't washed my hair since the last time I posted. I probably will wash it next week. I M&S yesterday. It's so hot that I just don't feel like doing my hair.

Attachments

• rps20170712_171721.jpg
    rps20170712_171721.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 40
  • rps20170712_171653.jpg
    rps20170712_171653.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 41

LushLox

Trying to stay strong here but it's calling me man, it's calling me...

LushLox

Do you guys stretch your relaxers? My goal is to stretch, even if I have to use braids to help out.

I generally stretch for 16 weeks minimum, longest stretch was six months but that was too much as I didn't deal with the two textures properly and I lost hair so counter productive. So I go 16-20 weeks now which is normally manageable.

For me the key for stretching is to use the right tools e.g. combs and products and you really need to listen to your hair to understand what it needs, how it should be styled, what can your hair tolerate and what it can't etc. It took me a long time to gauge this and a lot of trial and error but I'm better at it now fortunately.

How long are you planning to stretch for @Britt

Britt

I generally stretch for 16 weeks minimum, longest stretch was six months but that was too much as I didn't deal with the two textures properly and I lost hair so counter productive. So I go 16-20 weeks now which is normally manageable.

For me the key for stretching is to use the right tools e.g. combs and products and you really need to listen to your hair to understand what it needs, how it should be styled, what can your hair tolerate and what it can't etc. It took me a long time to gauge this and a lot of trial and error but I'm better at it now fortunately.

How long are you planning to stretch for @Britt

This go around, I plan to stretch for a good 5-6 months simply because I feel I need to regain thickness/health again. If I stretch this long I will probably use braids for the latter part of the stretch. I have to see what my new growth is looking like and like you said knowing which styles to do/not do. I'm already thinking I'll have to do braid outs to help stretch it out some. I'm gonna have to figure it out. I'll have to soften up my new growth and wear some braid outs, maybe buns if I can do one with some clip ins or something. What styles do you wear? But like you, I plan to relax every 16 weeks or so. I just left the salon getting a rollerset and as I looked around my mind was solidified on the importance of stretching relaxers and finding someone skilled to apply it. I see why so many of you guys stretch and apply it yourself.

Britt

Maybe I need a much milder relaxer? My stylist wrote me this when I emailed her about my hair
We can definitely use something milder next time. I used Affirm mild because you mentioned wanting the hair in the straight side but qe can do Affirm FiberGuard mild which normally does a more texlax feel.

Most modern relaxer systems are designed to condition prior to shampoo. The term Neutralize in the relaxer realm means brings the ph down. Between the water used to rinse (7) & the ph of the conditioner (4.5) & the bond perfector (2.5) the neutralizing process is complete before the shampoo hits the hair.

Hopefully, if you keep up with the Olaplex it will poof out a little more.

In the meantime I'll be using lots of protein and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Right now the breakage has lessened a lot but my hair was still relaxed boneeeeeeeeeeeeeee straight.

Royalq

So the beauty supply store I normally go to has Mizani. Actually the have to whole freaking line. I saw the butter blends in normal strength 30fl Oz for $27. I figure I'll need about 2. I get paid Monday so I might get it Tuesday and relax sometime next week. But the BSS had butter blends, moisturefuse, rhelaxer, all of it. But mizani seemed to be the only lye relaxer they carried.

Evolving78

Maybe I need a much milder relaxer? My stylist wrote me this when I emailed her about my hair

In the meantime I'll be using lots of protein and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Right now the breakage has lessened a lot but my hair was still relaxed boneeeeeeeeeeeeeee straight.
I don't know.. I think changing processing time, and smoothing would be a better option. A milder relaxer would take longer to break the bonds down, but she still needs to be mindful of how straight you want the hair. You can get a milder form, but if she is smoothing and keeping it in longer, it defeats the purpose. Now some regular relaxers won't get my hair bone straight no matter what. A milder form on me would do nothing for me.
Does your hair process quickly? My hair is so coily and I have low porosity. I don't have Course hair. My hair is fine. But I need regular due to my curl pattern. Your hair may be more loose, or wavy.

Britt

I don't know.. I think changing processing time, and smoothing would be a better option. A milder relaxer would take longer to break the bonds down, but she still needs to be mindful of how straight you want the hair. You can get a milder form, but if she is smoothing and keeping it in longer, it defeats the purpose. Now some regular relaxers won't get my hair bone straight no matter what. A milder form on me would do nothing for me.
Does your hair process quickly? My hair is so coily and I have low porosity. I don't have Course hair. My hair is fine. But I need regular due to my curl pattern. Your hair may be more loose, or wavy.
I think my hair processed super fast this go around. It was 20 minutes start to finish (roughly) and my hair was bone straight, like bone straight. I didn't expect that at all as I've never had that happen when I used to relax. I can't say it was excessive smoothing either.

MzSwift

I've had a varied texlax schedule since I started in April 2014. At first I did it every 4 months. Then I moved to every 3 months. Then after I accidentally went 6 months and loved the way my hair felt, I've decided to try for every 5-6 months.

Braids/twists with and without extensions help me to stretch after week 4 or 5. For the past month I've been in these same cornrows and my hair and scalp are loving the no manipulation. I redid them after two weeks and I either wash or water rinse them daily. It helps my newgrowth stay moisturized.

Evolving78

I'm gonna try using CON SFEden leave-in and the repair oil to seal until next wash day. I washed my hair and started today. I used ORS creamy aloe shampoo...smh glad it was just a packet... got my hair and scalp clean.. just stripped the heck out of it! I need to restock on some DE products... not right now though. Gotta use up some things.