Relaxed Hair Thread

LushLox

@shortdub78 Wow are you really going to stretch for six months? I thought you didn't like stretching for long periods?

I stretched for five months once; it was the most challenging hair related thing I did, and I lost a lot of hair. In saying that my technique and skill have improved so I think I could probably manage a decent stretch once I employ the correct strategies to manage my hair.

LushLox

hi everyone, I'm newly relaxed, self relax, no lye. I havent been realxed in over 11 years. Still working on nailing down a regi. any advise will be gladly taken. :)

You will hear a lot of people say you should keep your regi as simple as possible (well this is true with natural hair also) and I think there's a lot of truth to this.

Try and find staple products for each of the key areas, pre poo, shampoo, conditioner/mask, protein, moisturiser. I find spray leave ins to be very effective but I couple those up with cream leave ins too. I've actually started to do the LCO method after washing. I always thought it would be too heavy for my fine hair but I am AMAZED, because my hair really seems to like it and I now need very little moisture between wash days because my hair stays hydrated. This is really important as a no lye user.

I think as a relaxed head regular protein treatments are absolutely KEY. The strength of our hair has already been compromised by the strong chemicals we are using so we need to counteract this by strengthening the hair as much as you can tolerate, but still being mindful of the whole moisture/protein balance. I use a protein treatment every two weeks now, I wasn't doing this before and I think this is what I was missing.

Last edited:

Evolving78

@shortdub78 Wow are you really going to stretch for six months? I thought you didn't like stretching for long periods?

I stretched for five months once; it was the most challenging hair related thing I did, and I lost a lot of hair. In saying that my technique and skill have improved so I think I could probably manage a decent stretch once I employ the correct strategies to manage my hair.
I hate stretching! lol I'm gonna try this ORS system out and see how it holds up for a month. But I will not be a hero! If it gets to be too much, I will relax. I will be using heat every 5 days, so that should help. I will have to wash in sections too. I wash in two sections now. I prior to washing, I will finger detangle with oil to remove the shed hairs. I am going to try out this Naked By Essations line, and deep condition with SE. I can't use my sulfate shampoos using the ORS so I have DE avocado and almond, and this shampoo by Naked.

I have fine hair and I'm wondering should I switch to a mild lye relaxer. Regular has always been used due to my curl pattern. I may get mild and test it on some shed hairs to see how long it will take to process.
Also I'm trying to get my new growth at optimal health. I'm taking vitamins, eating my veggies, protein, and drinking more water. I wanna see if that makes a difference.
Using Coarse strength on accident (stupid) twice really made my hair more fragile. It's holding up fine and I'm retaining, but I have to be careful.

Wenbev

You will hear a lot of people say you should keep your regi as simple as possible (well this is true with natural hair also) and I think there's a lot of truth to this.

Try and find staple products for each of the key areas, pre poo, shampoo, conditioner/mask, protein, moisturiser. I find spray leave ins to be very effective but I couple those up with cream leave ins too. I've actually started to do the LCO method after washing. I always thought it would be too heavy for my fine hair but I am AMAZED, because my hair really seems to like it and I now need very little moisture between wash days because my hair stays hydrated. This is really important as a no lye user.

I think as a relaxed head regular protein treatments are absolutely KEY. The strength of our hair has already been compromised by the strong chemicals we are using so we need to counteract this by strengthening the hair as much as you can tolerate, but still being mindful of the whole moisture/protein balance. I use a protein treatment every two weeks now, I wasn't doing this before and I think this is what I was missing.
@LushLox thank! you! I have fine hair but lots of density and didnt like the LOC or LCO method as a natural bc it weighed down my hair. What do you use for your LCO?
and protein every two weeks? what kind of protein, like a reconstructor? or a hard protein like Aphogee?

Last edited:

Evolving78

I'm gonna try out this ORS system tonight. I hope it works! Wish me luck!
I don't like the blow drying process. The leave-in made my hair dry and causes issues! Still not finished.

After this stuff wears off, either I will find out if I can rewet it, or I'm not gonna use it again.

LushLox

@LushLox thank! you! I have fine hair but lots of density and didnt like the LOC or LCO method as a natural bc it weighed down my hair. What do you use for your LCO?
and protein every two weeks? what kind of protein, like a reconstructor? or a hard protein like Aphogee?

Liquid: SachaJuan Leave In
Cream: Hydratherma Naturals Growth Lotion or Anita Grant Double Cream
Oil: Moroccanoil

The key is you really need to use a pea sized amount of the cream and oil. I've still been able to wear my hair down and my curls hold all day doing LCO the night before. Perhaps try the LCO when you know you're going to be bunning your hair because it's not going to make so much difference then.

I use Hydratherma Naturals Amino protein every two weeks and now and then I'll substitute it for a slightly stronger protein; Nexxus Polymedic Re.

If you're using no-lye please ensure that you chelate the hair regularly also.

Last edited:

MzSwift

So I think I will be going back to texlaxing every 3 months instead of trying to stretch to 6. I also want to learn how to upkeep more loose styles. If I can keep these little hands out of my hair, I think this may work.

We have a beach trip coming up and I plan to relax a week prior at 27 weeks post. I want to wear my hair out at the beach!

MzSwift

Finally uploaded pictures of my crochet PS. So far, little one only pulls on it every so often. :)

Hubby wanted me to keep it like this but I think this length would've been too tempting for LO:
View media item 129495
This is the final length after the cut. I still mainly wear it with a headband to keep it out of my face!
View media item 129497
So far it's ok. I like the ease of it. What I don't like is not having access to my hair and not being able to wash/rinse it as much as I like to. I might try it again without the weaving net to see if that gives me better access to my scalp.

Evolving78

Finally uploaded pictures of my crochet PS. So far, little one only pulls on it every so often. :)

Hubby wanted me to keep it like this but I think this length would've been too tempting for LO:
View media item 129495
This is the final length after the cut. I still mainly wear it with a headband to keep it out of my face!
View media item 129497
So far it's ok. I like the ease of it. What I don't like is not having access to my hair and not being able to wash/rinse it as much as I like to. I might try it again without the weaving net to see if that gives me better access to my scalp.
I love the final cut!

Evolving78

Are you going to use the ORS again? @shortdub78 it sounds......stressful!
It's hot as the dickens in my home today! And unless I find some way to combat that dry coating, I won't mess with it anymore. My gradious plans to stretch may not happen! Lol

I started thinking of trying to maintain APL, but I want BSL hair! I was really abusive to my hair!

Last edited:

Evolving78

My game plan for next wash day is to use Silk Elements moisturizing shampoo (sulfate)
Second wash with Naked non sulfate shampoo

Deep condition for 15 mins with Naked

And rinse with Silk Elements conditioner if needed.

I will roller set with my purple and black size magnet rollers and use Naked Leave-in Fantasia ic heat protectant serum, and Keracare wrap foam.
Once dry I will flat iron my hair.

Evolving78

Yeah it's gonna be a big no for the ORS system. I finally finished flat ironing my hair and it still feels coated. I cross wrapped my hair and will be rocking my satin scarf for the next several days. I got a bunch of scarves and earrings if I need to get jazzy. I will just be putting my little oil in my hair edges, and crown and calling it a day.

That stuff was tingling and itching in my fragile crown area...

Evolving78

My hair is straw dry from that stuff! I don't know if I should wash my hair out now, or just don't touch it and wait a couple of days. Like if I touch it too much it will break off like a dead Christmas tree.
I decided to put some castor oil on and just pin it back up. I gotta do all of my children's hair today, so I won't have time for myself.

LushLox

My hair is straw dry from that stuff! I don't know if I should wash my hair out now, or just don't touch it and wait a couple of days. Like if I touch it too much it will break off like a dead Christmas tree.
I decided to put some castor oil on and just pin it back up. I gotta do all of my children's hair today, so I won't have time for myself.

Sounds like you need a good protein treatment, what do you use? And then hydrate treat like crazy to get your moisture levels back up. I know you know what to do anyway...

The good thing about hair is it can be quite forgiving and bounce back quickly, even after rough handling.

Evolving78

Sounds like you need a good protein treatment, what do you use? And then hydrate treat like crazy to get your moisture levels back up. I know you know what to do anyway...

The good thing about hair is it can be quite forgiving and bounce back quickly, even after rough handling.
That stuff left a heavy coating on my hair. I may wash my hair tomorrow, or Monday. I'm away from home tonight. I will just keep my scarf on and not mess with it too much.

That stuff left a heavy coating on my hair. I may wash my hair tomorrow, or Monday. I'm away from home tonight. I will just keep my scarf on and not mess with it too much.

It sucks when you pamper your hair only for the outcome to be undesirable, because of a single product.

Wash with a stripping shampoo and start over.

Evolving78

It sucks when you pamper your hair only for the outcome to be undesirable, because of a single product.

Wash with a stripping shampoo and start over.
I got back home and jumped in the shower. I used DE Oat Protein shampoo (it’s a gentle clarifier)
I shampooed again with this Naked non sulfate shampoo and applied their deep conditioner. I’m under the dryer now for 15 mins.
I’m in serious repair mode. After I detangle, I am just gonna blow dry my hair on cool and pin it back up.

I will go to a professional for my touch up next month. I will try to stretch until thanksgiving week. That will put me at 10 weeks.

MzSwift

I got back home and jumped in the shower. I used DE Oat Protein shampoo (it’s a gentle clarifier)
I shampooed again with this Naked non sulfate shampoo and applied their deep conditioner. I’m under the dryer now for 15 mins.
I’m in serious repair mode. After I detangle, I am just gonna blow dry my hair on cool and pin it back up.

I will go to a professional for my touch up next month. I will try to stretch until thanksgiving week. That will put me at 10 weeks.

Aww man, I'm sorry you have to do all of that. :(
I'm sure you'll be able to baby your hair back to health. Hopefully the low maintenance will yield great retention results for you!

Evolving78

Aww man, I'm sorry you have to do all of that. :(
I'm sure you'll be able to baby your hair back to health. Hopefully the low maintenance will yield great retention results for you!
Thanks! Yeah I’m just being very low-key with my hair right now. I’m just trying to get my hair in order as much as possible for a professional. I don’t even want that person to style, just for them to apply the relaxer and wash/dc it. I will wash again tomorrow, or Thursday. I got enough scarves and beanies to get me through this coming winter. I would love to make it to 16 weeks. Another issue is coming to someone with a bunch of new growth... and I don’t have scissors anymore, so the challenges it to take very good care of my ends. That’s why I won’t be doing any styling, braiding, heat styling, etc.. just wash and pin it up.

abioni

What are you ladies using to base your scalp before relaxing? I usually don't base my scalp because I worry about my roots not getting straight but I want to give it a try this time since I got burnt a bit during my last relaxer.

LushLox

What are you ladies using to base your scalp before relaxing? I usually don't base my scalp because I worry about my roots not getting straight but I want to give it a try this time since I got burnt a bit during my last relaxer.

I always base my scalp; I normally use vaseline. Yeah it's thick but it's an excellent base for me, I'd rather be under processed than get relaxer burn. I never burn myself when I self relax but my stylist did every single time because she hardly used any base at all and left the relaxer on too long.

Evolving78

I would use Vaseline. I have some vitale base, but regular petro jelly does the trick. That stuff has menthol in it and it doesn’t work well when you are sweating! Why would they wanna use an ingredient that stimulates the scalp? Somebody needs to go back to the lab on that one! I know where they were going with that, but it is stupid! Trying to add some cooling/soothing effect.

Sosoothing

I usually don't. I just wait several days after a wash so I have a good amount of build up.
The one time I tried to base my hair it came out really under processed. I may have used too much petroleum jelly.