Relaxed Hair Thread

Jalen's Mom

Welcome back! :wave:

Sorry to hear about your setback and major cut. You got to that length once, I’m sure you can get back there.

It sounds like the same spot is giving you trouble even after your cut. That makes me think it’s more of a mechanical issue; something is causing stress or there’s friction in that area. For instance, maybe you’re wearing a style too often that causes stress on that area. It could also be the way you tie your scarf up at night or the way you sleep. Or perhaps at work you unconsciously lean back and rub the back of your head against your work chair often. Do you wear a lot of collared shirts and jackets that rub against that area? I think once we can narrow that down, you can come up with a plan to avoid whatever it is.

Strengthening your hair with protein like you’re doing is also helpful. Be sure not to use a protein that’s too strong. It’s so easy to have protein overload and it can be difficult to fix.

Thank you so much! That's a great point about a mechanical issue. I'll experiment with how I tie my scarf at night...I might also go back to my satin pillow cases. I'm wondering if the nape is exposed night. Girl, you got me thinking!

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
@PlanetCybertron, Two years ago, I used castor oil regularly over a six month period. I had to stop because it caused itchiness and then a rash. At the time, I was trying/trailing several different new products. I started an elimination process to pinpoint the source; it was the castor oil. I had to give away a huge bottle that I had recently purchased. I was really disappointed that I couldn't continue using it but had to because I was literally scratching my hair out and making sores on my scalp.

CarefreeinChicago

I bought some JBCO, the handcrafted kind, that’s thick and organic...

I want to like it, but its causing my entire head to itch. Not in an inflamed way though. It isn’t accompanied by a lingering burning sensation. Whether I apply after a full wash day, or I’m re-oiling my scalp, it just itches for a bit after the application to my scalp. I just massage the areas and it fades away

I can think of a number of explanations as to why, but I’m not sure if I want to deal with the itchies. I have a mixture of coconut oil and Shea oil that doesn’t do that to my scalp, so maybe it’s just one of the properties with JBCO and it’s interactions with skin for different people. I don’t know.
It makes me itch also, and I have tried practically every brand.

sunnieb

Dear family and friends,

I'm currently growing my hair out. Therefore, I will not wear it down for at least another year and a half.

So, I will gladly wear it out after that time. However, even when I grow all my hair back, I will still bun 90% off the time.

Get used to me looking like this.

Thank you,

Sunnieb

20180819_152909_resized.jpg

Royalq

started using WGO on my scalp. It seems to leave a pasty white residue when i water wash my hair??? Today I water washed and noticed a sticky white residue on my scalp. I had to shampoo it out, so strange.
Im experiencing some breakage and i dont know why. Every time i run my hands through my hair i get hair coming out. Im worried my already thin hair will be even thinner. Im doing my protein and moisture treatments and moisturizing my hair. i dont get it. Maybe its my anemia?

Evolving78

Hey ladies! Just stopping through! I am still rocking a fade. It has grown out a bit. If I allow it to continue, I will get it relaxed and rock a pixie for the fall/winter. But I will go to the shop to get a relaxer and maintain it. Also, I need research what relaxers don’t have tree nut oils in them. There are days when I wanna cut it down to a bald fade. I’m just not about the product junkie life anymore. I wash my hair everyday, run some gel in it, and keep it moving.
Now to catch up on this thread.

Evolving78

Dear family and friends,

I'm currently growing my hair out. Therefore, I will not wear it down for at least another year and a half.

So, I will gladly wear it out after that time. However, even when I grow all my hair back, I will still bun 90% off the time.

Get used to me looking like this.

Thank you,

Sunnieb

View attachment 434227
Wow look at your hair!!! I’m so proud of you! Great progress!

MzSwift

Hey ladies! Just stopping through! I am still rocking a fade. It has grown out a bit. If I allow it to continue, I will get it relaxed and rock a pixie for the fall/winter. But I will go to the shop to get a relaxer and maintain it. Also, I need research what relaxers don’t have tree nut oils in them. There are days when I wanna cut it down to a bald fade. I’m just not about the product junkie life anymore. I wash my hair everyday, run some gel in it, and keep it moving.
Now to catch up on this thread.

I thought that was you! You changed your name! Aww, no more Dub C voice in my head when I see your screen name :( *pours out a little condish*

Hey girl! :sneakyhug: Sounds like you’re doing well! I always miss my short hair so I’ll live vicariously through you.

Evolving78

I thought that was you! You changed your name! Aww, no more Dub C voice in my head when I see your screen name :( *pours out a little condish*

Hey girl! :sneakyhug: Sounds like you’re doing well! I always miss my short hair so I’ll live vicariously through you.
Hey Hey! Yes it’s me!! Lol I am evolving! I know your hair is doing awesome and I hope the little one is being gentle with it! Lol

MzSwift

With this much new growth I dunno what made me think I could go 4 weeks without redoing the 5 braids I had hiding under this wig. SMH. Took me all day to detangle and to make smaller braids. Felt like I was natural all over again. Lol.

Note to self: redo big plaits weekly or biweekly.

I think this PS did me well. A pull test showed my nape layer touching near my bottom rib. Whohoo! I have natural layers though so I won’t know the full extent of my progress until I relax and straighten in November.

Off to install my crochet set!

MzSwift

Finally finished my crochet set last night. I’m absolutely loving this “Lazy Girl” method! I converted my hair from 5 plaits to about 15 or 16. The hair is so light too.

Here’s the hair I used:

Here’s the method I used (love her!) except that I just position the cap further back on my head. No drawing or cutting the cap:

sunnieb

So I just washed my hair this week and realized I don't need to be as heavy handed with leave in products as I did with my natural hair. I don't know whether to wash it out and start over or rock a bun til Wednesday:naughty:.

I vote for bun. If you choose to stretch your relaxers, you'll need more product as the weeks go by. But, freshly relaxed hair barely needs anything.

Welcome to the relaxed side of the house!

MzSwift

Has anyone perfected a relaxed wash and go for a wet and wavy look? I noticed the more protein I add to my hair the more wave I get when I air dry my hair.

I haven’t done it with long hair yet but with shorter hair it was easy to have a cute WNG as long as there ws some texture left in my hair. I just had to drench with conditioner and scrunch.

This is the long hair method I’m going to try:

PlanetCybertron

After some months of going completely utensil-less. I decided to do a deep detangling session. A also decided to give myself an extra heat pass and blow dried and straightened. This endeavor lasted from 5pm-12am.

Not using utensils gives me a lot of length retention, but on the other hand there’s opportunity for SSK to form. And form they did. Took me two hours alone just separating and separating and separating some more. Blow dried on low heat and used a coney serum, because me and cones are just too good of friends to part. There were still like 5 chunks of hairs that are woven together by other shed hairs that decided to wrap themselves around all of the other hairs. Finally detangled everything and straightened which took me another 1 and 45 mins. But I go rather slow.

Hair is still soft and I’ve been slowly observing the thickness of my hair travel down more and more.

Gave myself a measure and I think I’ve made it to 34 inches. I measure by myself and I always struggle. So hopefully after the 50th time of trying to be precise as possible I’m correct. A picture will come, granted my hair doesn’t seem to look any longer when I’ve taken pictures these passed couple of months. Idk. Could just be me.

I’ll probably cross post this in the Hip, TBL, and Beyond thread.

You never know how many single strand knots you have until you straighten your hair. I flat iron my hair to get an idea of where I am at on my journey and realized the ends of my hair was rough and tangly even while its straight, I thought I had major split ends. Nope! It was all knots. I had to cut about 1/2-1 inch. I am now a couple of inches away from APL