Relaxed Hair Thread

Sosoothing

How neat they are! Do you do them yourself? How long do you keep them in and do they hold after washing? Do you add hair?
I hope you don't mind all the questions.

Thanks. I do them myself. I used to add extensions but lately I'd rather not.
The mini braids last me about 4 weeks. The larger ones last anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks.
The mini braids I posted above are more convenient as I wash and DC while wearing them and don't have to rebraid immediately after. I wash and DC in the larger braids too, but those have to be redone right afterwards.

I don't mind questions at all :).

Wenbev

Thanks for the reply! And yes the vacation was great and much needed lol.

Joico is the only thing I’m using for moisture right now. Should I stick with the moisturizing DC and leave the aphogee out since my other products incorporate protein? The it’s a 10 leave in is everything. It’s left my hair so soft and has great slip I don’t want to let go of it lol. So if there’s another way to add more moisture to my regimen please let me know! My hairs never done well with leave ins so I’m pleasantly surprised. I don’t want to cowash since I want to keep my hair straight so I’m fresh out of ideas
I say keep the protein products bc your hair is weak and you’ll soon suffer from breakage bc of the texture diff with the new growth. I would definitely add more moisture than just the balm. Like the Alphonse balancing moisturizer. You need to build up your hair with protein but also fix dryness with moisture. Also decide how you want to wear your hair semi straight with a tension blow or in a twist/braid out with frequent cowashing to help with that moisture balance. If your hair starts to feel too hard and stiff, it may be time to pull back the protein products a bit and focus on more moisture. Likewise, if your hair feels mushy, then add more protein.

sunnieb

I got out the tape measure last night to check my growth.

My shortest length is 3 1/2" so I'm right on track with 9 months of growth and retaining 1/2" a month in most areas.

There are several 'super growth' spots that measured over 4", but I'm going with the shortest as the overall indicator of growth.

This regrowth process has been a lesson to me to always take care of my mind, body, and soul. I'm thankful that stress only took my hair and not something I couldn't get back.

PlanetCybertron

Since seeing @Sosoothing show us those lovely braids. I caught the “awww I wanna try to install braids or twists just more time” bug.

Sorry @VimiJn. I thought that was a photo of your hair at first.

Technically my hair doesn’t do too well with me manipulating it a lot concerning parting. But it wasn’t that bad this time around. 2-3 hairs got snagged due to me rushing a few times. Whatever. I just snipped them down so they can get a new start.

Tried to mimic Senegalese twists.
Took me like 3 hours to install.
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Products used:
•Clinical Solutions by head and shoulders shampoo.
•Ceramide Treatment
•Air dried until 50% dry. Blow dried on very low heat.
•SM Raw Shea Butter Treatment as moisturizer and hold for twists
•Soft n Free grease. Small dab on lower ends to seal.
•Dax pomade to make the ends stay put. Works a bit better than Shea Butter.

Last edited:

VimiJn

Let the truth set you free!
Since seeing @Sosoothing show us those lovely braids. I caught the “awww I wanna try to install braids or twists just more time” bug.

Sorry @VimiJn. I thought that was a photo of your hair at first.

Technically my hair doesn’t do too well with me manipulating it a lot concerning parting. But it wasn’t that bad this time around. 2-3 hairs got snagged due to me rushing a few times. Whatever. I just snipped them down so they can get a new start.

Tried to mimic Senegalese twists.
Took me like 3 hours to install.

Products used:
•Clinical Solutions by head and shoulders shampoo.
•Ceramide Treatment
•Air dried until 50% dry. Blow dried on very low heat.
•SM Raw Shea Butter Treatment as moisturizer and hold for twists
•Soft n Free grease. Small dab on lower ends to seal.
•Dax pomade to make the ends stay put. Works a bit better than Shea Butter.
oh I missed your post lol.
Your hair looks great!

VimiJn

Let the truth set you free!
One of the things I do differently this time around is NO wet bunning. I have this style I do where I rollerset the front of my hair right on the very top with about 4-6 medium rollers. I apply my moisturizers/oils to the back and sides and sit under the dryer. I cover my head with a hairnet while I'm under the dryer (so all my hair is secure) I do this every 5 to 7 days.
The front part gets detangled because I roll that section but I confess to just finger detangling the sides and back. When it's dry I style the front and use a black goody ponytail holder (the kind that doesnt cause breakage) to gather the back and do a two strand twist and pin it up. This style allows me to both have a stlye and protect ,y hair at the same time. When it's time for bed I loosen the ponytail holder so there isn't any tension and sweep the curls to the top of my head and pin it out the way. I sleep on satin/silk pillowcase (years ago I wore satin scarves but i sweat on my scalp so this works better for me). In the morning I moisturize,tighten the pony , adjust the curls and that's it.
Sometimes I rollerset my whole head but that's either for special occasions or to church some sundays. It's worked well so far.
This week for the first time I wore the same style except with the pony down sans the two strand twist. By the time I had gotten to work I had forgoten I did anything different. The ladies at work reminded me real quick! They were like, omgoodness, I've never seen you with your hair down and we didn't know it is was long. While I'm cringing from my hair rubbing on my jacket, it'll be alright. What's the point of all this care and no one knows your hair is long and healthy?
My main goal now is to get serious about protein. Y'all as much as I know from this board, I am so lazy when it comes to deep conditioning moisture or protein. I have relied on the quick 3-5 min in the shower kind of conditioning.(I know, I know) I'm convinced that the protein issue is more significant than I'm willing to admit. But Imma do better!
Sorry for the long post...

SuchaLady

I’m still here not minding my business :look: Yalls hair looks sooo good in here!

I think I’m gonna give it up and snip my straight hair either for my bday (January) or hold out for my last relaxer anniversary (July). In a second I’ll be heading towards a three year transition :look:....I mean relaxer break if I don’t quit playing :lol:

Last edited:

abioni

My ends are weak and breaking. I'm thinking of using Aphogee 2-step. The issue is I plan to relax on Sunday. I could apply the Aphogee tomorrow or wait two weeks after the relaxed to apply it. Which will be better for my hair. Apply before or after the relaxer?

And yay my shedding has reduced greatly. Not sure if it's the garlic extract or black tea. I suspect it's the tea since I used the garlic extract before and didn't see a difference. I wish I remembered to use the tea earlier. My hair feels thin from over a year of continuous shedding.

MzSwift

My ends are weak and breaking. I'm thinking of using Aphogee 2-step. The issue is I plan to relax on Sunday. I could apply the Aphogee tomorrow or wait two weeks after the relaxed to apply it. Which will be better for my hair. Apply before or after the relaxer?

And yay my shedding has reduced greatly. Not sure if it's the garlic extract or black tea. I suspect it's the tea since I used the garlic extract before and didn't see a difference. I wish I remembered to use the tea earlier. My hair feels thin from over a year of continuous shedding.

Good, you’ve got that shedding under control. That sounds very frustrating. Could you use the protein right after you finish neutralizing to help strengthen your hair — instead of waiting 2 weeks?

What are you ladies using to protect your previously relaxed hair on relaxer day?

I use a cone condish, Aussie Moist, sealed with Vaseline.

abioni

I'm worried about my hair reverting if I use the protein mid step. My hair can be pretty resistant, especially my crown area.

Good, you’ve got that shedding under control. That sounds very frustrating. Could you use the protein right after you finish neutralizing to help strengthen your hair — instead of waiting 2 weeks?

I use a cone condish, Aussie Moist, sealed with Vaseline.

sunnieb

I've been rotating all my cowash conditioners, but can't remember if I've posted about this one.

I used HE Bio:Renew Repair Argan Oil of Morocco last night and my hair was buttery soft when I rinsed it out.

HE is really stepping up their hair game! :yep:

20181005_063038_resized.jpg

PlanetCybertron

Thought this would be cool to post. Today in my Lab class we were experimenting with Sodium Hydroxide. I couldn’t help but think, “Oh, I put that stuff in my hair to straighten it” lol.

This is its solid form. For the most part it’s touchable, up until water or any other liquid comes into contact with it:

This stuff gets super volatile around magnesium phosphate (lots of fizzing).

Wenbev

I would do two weeks before and after and do the two min reconstructor in relaxer day.
What are you ladies using to protect your previously relaxed hair on relaxer day?
I use roux porosity control, and a heavy oil like castor or Dax or Vaseline

sunnieb

@sunnieb

Do you sleep in your buns?
Are you just using a scrunchie to secure them during the day?

I never sleep in a bun.

I workout 5 evenings a week, so I cowash/airdry on those nights anyway. Even when I don't cowash, I take down my bun and massage my scalp with oil or shea butter mix and pin up for bed.

I never leave my bun in for days.

Oh! Forgot to add - I secure it with a black silk scrunchie and hair net to make it look round. :yep:

klsjackson

So I had severe breakage and shedding with my last relaxer. I am still not sure what went wrong. I used the same products and the same techniques. I called a licensed professional stylist that I trust and consulted with her and sent pictures of the aftermath. She asked if I was taking any medication and or if I was anemic. I said yes to both. She explained that sometimes that will happen if my iron or blood is very low, which it has been lately. I am sad because every time my hair begins to grow, it either sheds or breaks.

I was experincing shedding a week or so before I relaxed but I didnt think much of it. I have asked several peeople in my family and no one can tell that I had breakage. So I think I am over reacting a little bit, but I know how my hair should behave and feel.

I will continue to baby my hair and do protein treatment Affirm 5n1 this week. No heat for the next 3 to 6 months. I am also taking Hairfinity and making sure that I take my iron consistently.

klsjackson

Today is shampoo day for me. I usually do my hair on Thursday, but I hurt my hand at work and needed it to heal before I risked allowing anything to touch it other than water or soap.

I am doing a hot oil prepoo with a mixture of Vatika Coconut oil and grapeseed oil on the length of my hair and Red Pimento Castor Oil on my scalp. I am currently sitting under the steam cap for 25 minutes. I will shampoo with Kera Care Hydrating Detangling Shampoo and DC with Affirm 5n1 for 30 minutes and follow with Humecto for 15. I will finish with a rollerset. I did a slight trim and took an assessment of the damaged areas. Hopefully in the next 3 months all will be back to normal.

abioni

I relaxed my hair yesterday after stretching for 14 weeks (3.5 months). I wanted to relax first week of November but by Christmas my root will be bushy. I relaxed now so I can relax at 8-9 weeks in December. But It feels too soon, I usually like to stretch for 12 weeks. Who knows, I might change my mind and not relax then.

My root didn't give me much trouble during the stretch. It felt moisturized most of the time. I didn't notice breakage at the demarcation line. My ends on the other hand broke a bit. My main issue with stretching is not knowing what to do with my hair after 8 weeks when I have visible new growth. I wear my hair out most of the time and after 8 weeks I bun and wear wigs mostly. I get tired of them after a while. I would rather braid my hair but I worry about losing hair in the process.

While rinsing out the relaxer, I noticed more hair falling out than usual. Some long, some short. I think I need major protein treatment. I plan to use Apghogee 2-step next week. I would appreciate any tip on how to make my strands stronger.