Relaxed Hair Thread

lilpooky

Re: Relaxed Hair THREAD!!

I'm a relaxed 4b. My latest relaxer was on yesterday and the result is shown in my siggy pic.

I keep my regimen simple:

Cowash once a week
Extreme low to no manipulation
Moisturize and baggy nightly
Relax every 15 weeks
Bun daily
I take a women's complete vitamin with extra iron daily

:clapping: Congrats! That is some beautiful hair and awesome length in your sig.

sunnieb

Sunnie, how long do you leave your buns in? Do you take them down daily?

Curlybeauty - Just noticed you asked me a question!

I take my buns down daily to moisturize/seal/baggy or wash/cowash. I sleep with my hair loose in the back, my silk scarf tied around the front, and a satin bonnet over that.

I'm not a 24 hour bunner. I gotta feel my hair daily! :yep:

Toy

Just stopping by to say Hi to all the relaxed ladies.

baglady215

Relaxed ladies... what are your favorite daily moisturizers when you wear your hair down (after flat iron or rollerset)?

Toy

Relaxed ladies... what are your favorite daily moisturizers when you wear your hair down (after flat iron or rollerset)?

Good question! i dont wear my hair straight long enough to find a moisturizer.

nakialovesshoes

I'm not relaxed as of right now but will be returning in the very near future. The healthiest my hair has been was when I was texlaxed with Affirm every 12-16 weeks & following the Wanakee routine, PSing 90% of the time.

My routine will be:

Weekly I will do a jojoba scalp oil prepoo overnight & wash & DC with heat the next day. I will use a leave-in & diluted Lottabody to rollerset. When I take the rollers down, I will seal my ends.

Daily I'll lightly oil my hair & leave it under a silk scarf or under a wig.

My goal length is TSL (tramp stamp length). :look:

gingertea

Question ladies how do u deal with the curl pattern revolt a/k/a new growth when ur so many weeks post?? I'm 10 weeks post and counting down to tha minutes for my next relaxer

sunnieb

Question ladies how do u deal with the curl pattern revolt a/k/a new growth when ur so many weeks post?? I'm 10
weeks post and counting down to tha minutes for my next relaxer

Hi! I'm 10 weeks post as of Wednesday, so I feel your pain!

First thing I did was to embrace my newgrowth in all its crinkly curly glory. It's proof that my hair is growing, so it's a good thing to see lots of it! I don't care about keeping my roots straight, just moisturized.

Next, I took the time to find out what my newgrowth needs. That's why I wash my hair so often. My newgrowth loves it, and it doesn't dry out and get matted.

I also had to find daily styles that allow me leave my newgrowth alone as much as possible. Buns are great for this.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

OhmyKimB

Question ladies how do u deal with the curl pattern revolt a/k/a new growth when ur so many weeks post?? I'm 10 weeks post and counting down to tha minutes for my next relaxer

I think I may be weird. I can't stretch for anything, if I don't relax by week 10 all of my hair falls out...okay well not falls out, but it undoes all the good I am doing.

Actually since I started over and frequently went to my stylist to get my hair in order (she really just better at health, many people sleep on her, but that is another story) and relaxed between 8 and 10 weeks my hair has gotten longer and thicker. I'm going to start taking pictures this weekend since I got a new camera.

ANYWHO to actually answer your question...I would guess tying down the edges at night and keeping the new growth very moisturized? That usually helps me get to week 10

ellehair

My max is 10 weeks post, anything after I just dont feel like i cant cope with. ive stretched to 20 weeks before but long term stretching is not for me i have realized. After 8 weeks my hair become unmanagable, but I cowash often which helps and moisturize faithfully to get me thru the last 2 weeks when i make it. Sometimes I give in and relax at 8.

sunnieb

^^^ I ain't mad at cha!

Shoo, if it wasn't for that magical mane and tail detangler, I'd probably relax every 8 weeks! :)

ellehair

^^ I love mane and tail detangler!! After 6 weeks post its my best friend, yep An i use it faithfully on my natural dd's.. My 6 year old is alway like get the yellow and blue bottle please, lol

bigbrowneyez

Before I wash I leave conditioner on for about 30min without heat so when I wash the NG is softer. I wash in 4 plaits or 4 ponytails so it's easier to detangle and comb after the wash. I apply leave-ins before I start combing. When I airdry I don't comb it for that week. I just leave it in a bun. HTHs

Akosua

Relaxed 4b BSL.
I started my hair journey 2007 and I cannot believe how much my hair has grown!

Regimen:
- relax every 3months
- DC once a week
- Moisturize daily
- Protective styles daily(buns)
- Comb ,my hair only on wash days

Products:

ORS lye relaxer
Lustrasilk shea butter
Hawaiian silky moisturizer
Coconut oil!!

Last edited:

sunnieb

Do you use this as a leave in?

Only right after washing. I'm able to easily detangle without losing alot of hair. It's the only way I can get through the last few weeks of my stretch.

AlkalineSteam

Relaxed between SL and APL. APL is my short-term goal length

Current Regimen
- Shampoo 1-2x/week: old CON yellow and blue or L'oreal EverPure (says no SLS, lies)
- DC w/every wash: ORS
- Detangle after DC
- Leave-in: GVC The Conditioner (PM knockoff)
- Style: Rollerset with no additional products. Wear it either curly w/nightly pincurls, saran wrap w/nightly crosswraps, bun after a few days.

My ends are damaged so I've cut out flatironing altogether. I've been at this length for all of 2010 so I want to buckle down and make APL this year. No more abuse of my ends. No more spontaneous layers. I may get bangs cut again, since they made my buns look better.

Good luck retaining!

Beautyangel

Hi! 4B Relaxed head checkin' in!

I poo/DC 1/week
I Love mixing my favourite Conds:
Elucence MB/ Kenra MC
ORS Mayo/ Aphogee 2Min Rec
Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol/ Moist Treat.

Always add Evoo and honey to my Deep Conds
I always use one of my favourite leave ins mixed with oil:
Either: Rusk Sensories- Salerm21B5- AG Fastfood- Rivas Silicon mix.
Love, Love, Love Leave ins!!!
I always rollerset/No Heat.

I moisturize 1/week with Carol's Daughter Hair milk and some of Marguerite's magic
I seal with my Oil mix: Coconut, Macadamia, Castor, Shea, Mink oil plus scent.
I sleep with satin or silk scarves.

GraceV

Ladies I need a new leave in.

These are products I have tried:

Giovanni direct: it just sat on my hair and had clumps. Okay on wet hair. BAD idea on dry hair.

Profectiv (the yellow one): it was too oily/heavy and the smell... *retch*, (the pink one, daily strengthener): Nice smell, great on wet hair but hair dries up, well, DRY! Too much protein?

Silken Child: Okay for a while then they changed the formula... the new one smells weird. It's ok for the first few weeks after a retouch but not so great post week 4.

S-Curl: Okay in the summer, okay for roots 8 weeks post but I'm stuck with wet hair...I guess it's the glycerin. Tried it in the winter... BAD idea.

HE LTR: On the fence, sometimes it feels like it's just sitting on my hair. It's OK for wet hair but meh for dry hair... except my edges. It lays it down something good!

Cantu: the bottle: too oily, the tub: left my hair stiff when dry.

Neutrogena Silk-Touch, this one I use by default since everything else I've tried has failed. OK on wet hair, kinda okay on dry hair till a few hours after, it makes my hair poof up. Sometimes this is what I want... sometimes not!

Another default: Mane n Tail conditioner. This is okay and I mix it with the NTM often BUT I want a REAL leave-in not regular condish substituted as a leave-in.

Basically my Texlaxed 4z hair needs something that works on wet AND dry hair, freshly texlaxed and stretch-time hair, okay for the seasons, smells good and does not sit on my hair (too oily or too 'coney'). SIGH...

I feel like I just put out an ad for a man. Is a sister asking for too much from a leave-in?

kandiekj100

Sometimes I want to get loc'd up, but it is so permanent. But even aside from that, I don't think my hair is thick enough for it have that full luscious look that envy.

AlliCat

GraceV I was going to suggest my personal favourites Cantu Shea Butter leave-in and NTM silk touch but apparently those are a no-go for you. What about using one of those moisturizers you already have, and try kimmaytubing it?

GraceV

@GraceV I was going to suggest my personal favourites Cantu Shea Butter leave-in and NTM silk touch but apparently those are a no-go for you. What about using one of those moisturizers you already have, and try kimmaytubing it?

Thanks for responding AlliCat. What exactly does the bolded mean? I'm assuming this will require some mixing, which I am not averse to if that's my only option.

MsKikiStar

:wave: hey ladies!! relaxed 4something here

Regimen:
I relax approx. every 12 weeks
Wash/DC/light protein every week
I use a leave-in 3 weeks after relaxing
Hard protein once per month
Moisturize & seal 3 times a week
Apply JBCO/peppermint oil to scalp 2-3 times a week
Take a multi-vitmain & biotin daily

Mainly wear ponytails or rock a banana clip throughout the week. this year I really want to use less heat and try roller setting....or use the Curlformers more often.

Products:
Mizani Butter Blends Rhelaxer (normal strength)
KeraCare Moisturizing Sulfate-free Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
KeraCare Humecto Creme Conditioner
Aphogee 2-minute Reconstructor
Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer or Infusium23
Neutrogena Triple Moisture lotion
coconut oil
Chi Silk Infusion

ETA: I flat iron every week :look:

Last edited:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men

I am almost 4 mos post and I have been wearing my braids under a wig and I am just a little tired of that so I have an appt. for an install on 28 feb. if my hair comes in time. :ohwell:

When I am not in my braids I usually bun or do a twist out. I have done 2 separate 1 yr stretches but this time I think it will only be 6 mos.

AlliCat

I finally relaxed after 14 weeks post. From now on I will be relaxing at 12 weeks. I can't do the longer stretches anymore because the knots and tangles seem to do more harm than good :(

On a side note for you no-lye box kit users: does anyone actually save the other half for the next application?? I always use the entire thing per relaxer. I neber bother to measure it and save the rest for 3 months. Is that bad :S