Relaxed Hair Thread

MzSwift

Hello everyone, newbie here. I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good relaxer for fine (strand size not texture) high porosity, type 4 hair. I am looking for my hair to get straight so I have more manageability during what I hope can be a three month stretch, though I am only going to do buns, ponytails and wigs until I gain more length and thickness.

I have been and will continue to read this thread and others, but if anyone cares to share I’d appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Can’t wait until I can start contributing on the forum.

:welcome4:

Feel free to contribute now! You never know who you might help by sharing your journey or experiences.

klsjackson

Tried the, it’s a 10 hair mask, as a gift to myself from a frustrating day at work.

Did the opposite. My hair is so crunchy and This hair mask completely clashes with pretty much all of my products. Waste. Of. Money.

WASTE!!!

......okay just be calm. Caaaalm. Calm. Woosah.
Oh wow!!! That is how I felt when I used Olaplex last week. I was so upset. My hair is hard and crunchy and because I am in a stretch my roots need heat and I refuse to use any heat more than once a week, even if I shampoo and deep condition. It definitely clashed with my regular products.

Oh wow!!! That is how I felt when I used Olaplex last week. I was so upset. My hair is hard and crunchy and because I am in a stretch my roots need heat and I refuse to use any heat more than once a week, even if I shampoo and deep condition. It definitely clashed with my regular products.
klsjackson, was it a specific part of the Olapex system that you tried and did not like?

I have fine 4B hair and Affirm Fiberguard works well for me. I used ORS last time and I regret it. The ORS was too strong for my hair. But I never have an issue when I use Fiberguard in Mild.
Thanks so much! I’ll look into it. When I relaxed the last few times I used Phyto and it didn’t really work for me.

klsjackson

Today was hair day and I did my normal routine. I did not use FrenchPerm but I used Affirm Neutralizng shampoo instead. My hair dresser would use this as an acidic shampoo to lay down my cuticles and it works!! My hair feels smooth and sleek. FYI: I use FrenchPerm the way many use Roux Porosity Control or diluted ACV.

I did not used the Olaplex this week. I will try it next week and see how my hair responds. Although, I did not like my hair, my family commented over the holiday on how healthy it looked and said it had a shine to it! Go figure, LOL.

PlanetCybertron

Braids mixed with twists. Decided to use all natural products this go round.

• Water (separate and moisturize)
• Flaxseed Gel (slip and moisture)
• Unsalted Butter (seal, fatty acids for softness)
•Shea Butter on ends to hold

Think I might start making a length goal check according to how long my braids get. Ya know. Distract me from my moping about when I reach my actual goal with my hair out and about.

LushLox

Today was hair day and I did my normal routine. I did not use FrenchPerm but I used Affirm Neutralizng shampoo instead. My hair dresser would use this as an acidic shampoo to lay down my cuticles and it works!! My hair feels smooth and sleek. FYI: I use FrenchPerm the way many use Roux Porosity Control or diluted ACV.

I did not used the Olaplex this week. I will try it next week and see how my hair responds. Although, I did not like my hair, my family commented over the holiday on how healthy it looked and said it had a shine to it! Go figure, LOL.

Interesting, I was thinking of using this for my next shampoo. Admittedly not for your reasons as I hadn’t thought of that. I’d be using it just continue to neutralise my hair after a relaxer. I normally use the ORS shampoo for this but I’ve run out.

danysedai

Just saying hello, I've neglected checking on this thread for so long. tbh I check the relaxed hair groups in FB more.
Sitting under the dryer with rollers. I have gone back to DC with heat and also gone back to rollersetting. My hair is recovering nicely. My main issue is that I forget to cover my hair at night. I'll buy several silk scarves and satin bonnets and leave them throughout the house and on my night table so I remember.
Decided to give Silicon Mix a try and I love it this time and the smell doesn't bother me. I've been using SM original, SM pearl protein and now SM bamboo. I've added Olaplex to my products (No. 3, 4 and 5) I didn't like the conditioner on its own but following it with a moisturizing conditioner makes it work.
I'm also using tension rollers mixed with magnetic ones as I don't have enough of the tension rollers.

PlanetCybertron

Anyone tried Bekura? I’m tempted to get 2-3 three things from her line. I did notice the price is a bit higher, but I’m okay with that.

Also has anyone tried Bask and Bloom?

I watch PowerInYourCurl on YouTube regularly, and she frequently uses black and bloom. I like quite a few of their products as well. Thinking about just doing a full on product restock and brand spanking new products I’ve never tried.

Do any of you relaxed ladies co-wash often (more than twice a week)? If so how has it worked out for you? After I relax again I think I want to continue with frequent co-washing since I am hardcore PS-ing with ponytails, buns and wigs. Right now I co-wash or WO or oil/water rinse my hair almost daily and it has helped my with moisture retention and softness.

MzSwift

Do any of you relaxed ladies co-wash often (more than twice a week)? If so how has it worked out for you? After I relax again I think I want to continue with frequent co-washing since I am hardcore PS-ing with ponytails, buns and wigs. Right now I co-wash or WO or oil/water rinse my hair almost daily and it has helped my with moisture retention and softness.

I’m texlaxed so I treat my hair pretty much like I did when I was natural. I water rinse or cowash daily or every other day whenever my hair is not straightened or in a PS. IA, my hair still benefits from the water as well.

I’m texlaxed so I treat my hair pretty much like I did when I was natural. I water rinse or cowash daily or every other day whenever my hair is not straightened or in a PS. IA, my hair still benefits from the water as well.

Your hair is gorgeous so it's obviously one of the things that works for you! I think I will keep it up because my high porosity hair cannot get enough moisture. I am still deciding whether I want to texlax (my previously processed hair is texlaxed) 0r fully relax.

PlanetCybertron

Yea. Typically every other day during the summer, and every couple of days during the winter. My scalp is weird and sensitive, and I just got over a recent scalp flair up. One of my worst ones I had in a long time. So I spray diluted shampoo on dry roots only before getting into the shower, coat the rest of my hair to give a barrier, and apply the conditioner from my ears down. I use my leave ins to moisturize my new growth. Avoiding my scalp area. So I kind of shampoo frequently, and co-wash frequently as well.

I’ve got extremely porous hair too, so something needs to be moisturizing my hair pretty much daily. I just co-washing since it gives me a lot more hydration than just moisturizing and sealing. I also manipulate my hair far less when I just wash it as a unit, and leave it alone to air dry and put it up.

Yea. Typically every other day during the summer, and every couple of days during the winter. My scalp is weird and sensitive, and I just got over a recent scalp flair up. One of my worst ones I had in a long time. So I spray diluted shampoo on dry roots only before getting into the shower, coat the rest of my hair to give a barrier, and apply the conditioner from my ears down. I use my leave ins to moisturize my new growth. Avoiding my scalp area. So I kind of shampoo frequently, and co-wash frequently as well.

I’ve got extremely porous hair too, so something needs to be moisturizing my hair pretty much daily. I just co-washing since it gives me a lot more hydration than just moisturizing and sealing. I also manipulate my hair far less when I just wash it as a unit, and leave it alone to air dry and put it up.
Another gorgeous lady and head of hair! Thanks for responding. I also have weird scalp issues. If water doesn’t hit my scalp at least every other day it gets itchy and sometimes sore. I had to use Sulfur 8 medicated last week because it was so bad after only missing one day. It worked but but now I’ve had to re-add all the moisture it stripped from my hair since it has three different types of sulfates in it. My highly porous hair also doesn’t respond to regular mouisturizing procedures so I have no choice if I want to aid retention. I’ve learned that the hard way over the years.

Evolving78

Hey ladies! I’m back and relaxed. My hair is short/pixie. My hair is more faded in the back and sides vs tapered. My hair is not bone straight, so I’m sitting under the dryer now with it molded down. Hopefully I can get from under this dryer soon and style it. I used Nairobi foam. Other foams aren’t heavy enough, even though I have fine hair, it’s just very dense.

LushLox

Hey ladies! I’m back and relaxed. My hair is short/pixie. My hair is more faded in the back and sides vs tapered. My hair is not bone straight, so I’m sitting under the dryer now with it molded down. Hopefully I can get from under this dryer soon and style it. I used Nairobi foam. Other foams aren’t heavy enough, even though I have fine hair, it’s just very dense.

Oooh how lovely to come on and see you, welcome back. :kiss:

And welcome back again to the dark side. :sekret: You know you’ll be APL before you know it lol.

Wenbev

Yes, I do in the summer only 2-3x a week. Sometimes an oil rinse mixed with cowashing. It worked great and is a nice rest from heat styling. Especially because I stretch a bit longer in the summer, it definitely helped with keeping the new growth moisturized.
And I vote to texlax :look:
Hey girl! Nice to see you back

Yes, I do in the summer only 2-3x a week. Sometimes an oil rinse mixed with cowashing. It worked great and is a nice rest from heat styling. Especially because I stretch a bit longer in the summer, it definitely helped with keeping the new growth moisturized.
And I vote to texlax :look:

Thanks Wenbev! I think I will go with texlaxing, but I may need to wrap my mind around doing it myself at home to get consistent results. I never tried oil rinse with co-wash but think I will next time. :)