Relaxed Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by sweetpeadst, Jan 31, 2011.

1. abioni

abioni Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I finally tried the relaxer mid step protein treatment with Aphogee 2 minutes protein conditioner and it made such a big difference. My hair didn't feel flat like it usually does for weeks after a fresh relaxer. I didn't want to try it because I was worried about my hair reverting but that didn't happen.

I also lost very little hair. In fact I washed my hair three days after the relaxer and lost about 3 to 5 strands. This felt so weird, I don't remember the last time I lost so little hair. I usually lose large amount of hair that I worry about combing my hair. I had my hair in cornrows for about two months and the last three weeks I made ayurveda tea with some powders and fenugreek seeds and sprayed it on my hair almost daily. I noticed I didn't lose as much hair when I took the braids out. I also sprayed my hair once with rice water few days after taking the braids out. But I doubt the rice water is the reason my hair stopped shedding. I suspect it's the ayurveda tea. I will keep using the tea and and apply rice water once in a while and hopefully this means the end of hair loss for me.

2. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    That’s great, @abioni !! I’m happy to hear that. I remember you were trying to find a good solution.

I credit any strands of hair I have left on my head after years of neglect to my use of ayurveda. Incorporating those powders and oils has done wonders for my hair, both natural and relaxed. I’m ayurveda for life!

Sanity, Wenbev, GraceandJoy and 3 others like this.
  3. Sosoothing

Sosoothing Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    I'm surprised I didn't know this about your methods :). I tend to know general techniques my hair idols use. How long have you been using ayurveda products?
    And which exactly if you don't mind the question.

Wenbev and MzSwift like this.
  4. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Aww, sis. :blush2:
    ETA, sorry I didn't answer your question. I've been using the powders since January 2010. I saw an instant improvement in my strands.

All of my stuff is premixed in empty conditioner bottles and I just use them like an OTC product. So I only do these steps about once every 1-2 months. Except for the DC, I mix that each time before use.

I'm gonna paste this from another thread because I have to run.

My staples aren’t anything exotic:

Conditioner- Henna, Brahmi and Amla mixed into cheapie condish
    Moisturizing Deep Conditioner - Hibiscus and salt mixed into cheapie Queen Helene cholesterol condish
    Cleanser- Neem and Shikakai mixed into cheapie condish

I have started making a Bhringraj oil that I add to some mixes or use in a scalp oil mix.

I wash with a regular sulfate or clarifying shampoo every 1-2 months.

I have made and used a very weak Henna/water tea spray while in extensions and I like it.

I estimate that I use about 1-2 TBSP of each powder in my mixes.

I wash the powder mixes out of my hair when I'm getting ready to straighten my hair with heat or chemical. However, about 90% of the time, I'm walking around with some sort of powder mix in my hair. Lol.

I'll just say that I do no special "cooking" when mixing.

I just pour in my powders, add warm water, shake to mix, fill with my cheapie condish and shake to mix. I use the cleansers and conditioners right away.

For my oil, I pour about 3-4 TBSP total of powder(s) into a cleaned glass spaghetti sauce jar, fill with my oil (a ceramide oil like Grapeseed, EVOO or Safflower), shake to mix, then let it sit under the bathroom sink for at least few weeks. I shake it up periodically, about once a week.

I also like to make "tea" using the powders. I just pour 1-2 TBSP of powder into a clean glass spaghetti jar then fill it with boiling water. Shake it up and shaking periodically as it cools. Then strain it into another clean glass jar. That's the extent of the cooking I do.

Sorry, one more edit, I don't like to leave out something that may be a key. I only use coneless cheapie condishes in my mixes (except for the DC because I use heat to help bake it in). I've found that cone conditioners don't have the same effect on my hair.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Chrismiss, Sanity, Wenbev and 4 others like this.
  5. Sosoothing

Sosoothing Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    @MzSwift
    Thanks for the info sis.
    I took note and I'm going to do some research too.

Wenbev and MzSwift like this.
  6. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    So it's time for me to relax again. My last relaxer was Sept 26th.

I took my crochet style down a couple weeks ago. I'm struggling between relaxing right now and wanting to keep rocking lazy PS styles. I see no benefit in relaxing and then putting my hair into a PS. I kinda want to lazy PS for the whole year. Lol. But I need to relax because I have a ton of new growth.

I don't wear my hair out often but when I do finally wear my hair out, I have no interest in dealing with natural hair. I'm only relaxing to make it easier to secure my hair for my PSs and easier to style the few time I wear it out. When I wear it out, I only wear it down or in a ponytail. I can't wear daily braidouts or knotouts because I suffer from low retention. So I can only tolerate wearing it out 2-3 days at a time. SMH.

Anyone else do something like this? How often do you relax?

Lissa0821, Sanity, Wenbev and 2 others like this.
  7. HappyAtLast

HappyAtLast 2019 Simplicity & Peacefulness

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, that's pretty much me. I rarely wear my hair down, and I relax my hair to make it easier to protective style, not to have it swanging. Although it's always nice to have that option. :grinwink:

My styles are rollersets, twistouts, and braidouts that are always pinned up. My last relaxer was in December. I'll be relaxing this weekend.

Wenbev, GraceandJoy and MzSwift like this.
  8. HappyAtLast

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Can you please give some details on what kind of henna you use, how it's used, how long you leave it on etc. I know nothing about using henna and I want to cover these grays on my edges too.

Wenbev and Rozlewis like this.
  9. Rozlewis

Rozlewis Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I use Henna Gloss from Henna Sooq. I melt the gloss bar and miss it with coconut milk, protein free conditioner and oil. I leave it on overnight and cows it out in the morning. I think there is a thread that has lots of good information.

Wenbev, GraceandJoy and HappyAtLast like this.
  10. demlew

demlew Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Here's the henna thread. It's long, but it has alot of useful information. I don't have suggestions for a henna that can cover grays because my favorite henna (Godrej Nupur) leaves my grays a cherry cola color. They're sporadically located all over my head, so I don't mind. If they were on my edges, I'd probably do a two-step with henna and then indigo.

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/a-new-henna-thread.335111/

Wenbev, MzSwift and HappyAtLast like this.
  11. HappyAtLast

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the suggestion on the indigo also. I appreciate this link. I always have a hard time finding threads.

Wenbev and demlew like this.
  12. sunnieb

sunnieb Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I discovered some breakage at my crown. This has always been a bad spot in my head. The rest of my hair is growing in thick though.

I won't stress. Its only like the size of a pen top. I'm just super observant after that last setback.

I'll keep an eye on it and add extra Shea Butter Mix there when I moisturize.

13. VimiJn

VimiJn Let the truth set you free!

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear you have breakage. Hopefully you caught it in time.

14. sunnieb

Blog Posts:
    I think so. It's such a small area. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe not relax it the next relaxer.

Wenbev, MzSwift and VimiJn like this.
  15. VimiJn

Blog Posts:
    I've been flexi rodding/ roller setting once a week. Moisturizing everyother day or as needed. I wear the curls down on Sunday. The rest of the week I wear the curls swept up in the back/ curly side swoop.
    I'm pretty much done with hiding my hair away.
    My last go around no one even knew my hair was long.
    This time I'm enjoying it.

HappyAtLast, sunnieb, Daina and 4 others like this.
  16. sunnieb

Blog Posts:
    Did a protein treatment with Nexxus Emergencee last night.

Also used Nexxus Emergencee shampoo. I'm not too concerned about the little bit of breakage I found. I searched my entire head, and couldn't find anymore.

I'll just continue spoiling my hair as usual. :)

Wenbev, Sanity, LushLox and 1 other person like this.
  17. LushLox

LushLox Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    A little breakage is normal, especially for chemically processed hair. I don’t stress out about such things unless it’s abnormal breakage.

I need to do a protein treatment myself. Will try and do it today and not procrastinate.

18. HappyAtLast

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    What do you use to M&S?

Wenbev likes this.
  19. VimiJn

Blog Posts:
    I use and love Camille Rose hair milk and a touch of any oil blend I am using at the moment.

Wenbev and HappyAtLast like this.
  20. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Alright so I just finished relaxing. I needed to do it or I would have put it off for another 3 months. I didn't take the same precautions I normally do so I feel like I may have some burns. I will not skip basing my scalp with Vaseline anymore. I did protein tx yesterday and used protein after neutralizing today. We'll see how it turned out.

I plan to airdry, blow out, flat iron and trim. So now I can PS the rest of the year and wait to relax at the EOTY check in.

21. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    So I really hate the chemical smell after relaxing. I can't seem to find a product that will help me get rid of it and that is also good for my hair. So I'm not gonna straighten today. I'm going to wait a couple of week or so in order to get a few washes and cowashes in to help get rid of the smell. I don't want to lock in this smell with heat.

So I did a pull test in the back and it's close to WL. It may even be there but I don't want to get too excited. I won't do an official length check until the EOTY. And I do plan to trim when I straighten in a couple of weeks. I'll try to post pix then.

Here's how I parted my hair this time. No middle parts, just larger sections so that I got more texture. It only took about 5 minutes to apply and then I went through twice to smooth with my fingers, no comb.

It turned out very well. I love the texture. Because I have fine hair, I can't relax bone straight or I risk looking bald. Lol

So I'm airdrying instead of using heat. I still have lots of shrinkage but not as much as when I was natural. I have enough texture to hold my mini braids that I rock most of the time. I can air dry for a blow out look without the heat. It's also much easier to straighten and remains straight for weeks. It's the best of both worlds for me.

Wenbev, GraceandJoy, VimiJn and 5 others like this.
  22. abioni

abioni Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    @MzSwift how do you get the same texture every time you relax? I also have fine hair and I won't mind texturizing but I can't even get my attempt to have straight hair to come out the same every time.

Wenbev, Sanity and MzSwift like this.
  23. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Honestly it isn’t really the same. It’s close enough that the difference doesn’t bother me. Lol. It took a few years to figure out how I wanted it and then I cut off my bonelaxed ends last year. I try to be consistent to prevent too much variation.

I always coat my whole strand, new growth included, with oil and a cone condish (Aussie Moist) then I apply the relaxer undiluted. I find that way to be easier for me bc I can control how long to leave it on and how much to smooth based on how my hair is acting. I dunno about you but my hair isn’t always in the same condition everytime I go to relax it. So this way allows me to control the other variables in order to accommodate my hair’s mood. Lol

Sis @Sosoothing does it an easier way where I believe she said that she mixes the same amount of oil (and condish, I think) to her relaxer each time in order to get consistent results. It seems to work well for her. Her hair is really pretty!

HTH! :)

24. Sanity

Sanity Cosmetologist

Blog Posts:
    My hair is shampooed amd straightened, I dislike the texture. Vacation is approaching this weekend and I am itching to relax! I am 20 weeks post.

Wenbev, LushLox and MzSwift like this.
  25. LushLox

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Are you going to touch up before your vacation? 20 weeks is decent, you should get a nice surprise!

26. LushLox

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I did a wash, protein and DC myself and have air dried. I'm just going to put flexi rods in now and will bun tomorrow.

27. Sanity

Sanity Cosmetologist

Blog Posts:
    I am going to protective style until I come back.-Change of plans I am relaxing tonight, I am having a really horrible hair day lol!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Wenbev, MzSwift and LushLox like this.
  28. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    So I only trim 1-2 times per year. And when I was good about my HHJ, I used the Moroccan Lunar Chart to pick my trim dates. I usually stick with trimming on the Winter and Summer solstices. Since I'm overdue, I trimmed today which is a "root work" day. I took off about 1 1/2", which is a lot for me because I'm a slow grower. But we'll see what it looks like after I straighten. I plan to trim again on 12/31, which is a "Lengthening" day.

After the trim I did an ayurveda tx made with oil instead of water. I covered with two grocery bags, a bandana and a knit cap. It's how I like to DC when I want to use body heat. Because it's oily, the oil is running down my neck. Lol

Sanity, Wenbev, GraceandJoy and 2 others like this.
  29. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I finished the blow out after rinsing out the ayurveda tx. I realized that I have no desire to flat iron. I prefer to not worry about any reversion while showing length, which the blowout gives. And I like that it looks full. So here's my hair after the trim and blow out, using my new length check shirt. I'm going to save the straight, flat iron for EOTY final length check.
    It's hard to tell but my waist is at about line 12. My hair is at line 10. Lord, I hope to lose inches on my body as I gain inches in my hair. SMH :(

30. Sanity

Sanity Cosmetologist

Blog Posts:

I Love your Progress!
    Goals!!:2inlove::toocool:

MzSwift likes this.