Relaxed Hair Thread

PlanetCybertron

speaking of post-relaxer chemical smell, ladies I really need to know what tips you have to get rid of it. I feel like it lingers in my hair for weeks.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t relax more often. Also, I’ve stopped heat straightening my hair after a relaxer (except for length check) bc I feel like I’m baking that smell into my strands. I’m 9 weeks post and I still smelled the chemical after I blow dried my hair last night!

Not sure what I’m doing wrong when I relax, I neutralize 3 times, leaving it in at least 10 minutes each time AND I do a vinegar rinse with the last nuetralizer to ensure that I don’t have a lot relaxer residue. Then I do a protein tx followed by a moisturizing DC.

I’m so busy focusing on the health of my hair during a relaxer that I don’t like to throw in extra products but if you guys tell me that adding fruit juice or candy to the relaxer will help, I’m desperate enough to try it. Lol

Idk if it’s because i spend most of time here in the Shea Thread now, but Shea Butter completely zaps that chemical smell. The next day after a relaxer I just evenly apply a bit in sections all over my hair. I end up just smelling like pure Shea Butter.

Sometime last year and the beginning of this year, I was using a lot of popular overseas brands. Ones from Japan and Korea. They are by no means naturally derived products, but they were so strong in fragrance that the leave-ins could neutralize that relaxer smell even the day of my relaxer. You could try some products from YesStyle.com. That’s where All those products I used came from. They’re affordable and made of salon quality stuff, since it’s targeted towards consumers who frequent the salon and do a lot of styling and heat usage. They produce one of my absolute all time favorite protein treatments.

Another thing I did once upon a time was use a baking soda rinse. Might be worth a try. Only reason I don’t do it anymore is because it roughs up my hair cuticles quite a bit.

Last but not least is a simple peppermint rinse. I’m talking POTENT. As concentrated as you can stand it. When I didn’t have anything else, I tried my best to have a spare essential peppermint tincture on hand. Fair warning, everything is gonna be whistling....everywhere when you’re in the shower with it. I use that word to describe that cool breeze/minty sensation. If anything else, that should do the trick.

MzSwift

Idk if it’s because i spend most of time here in the Shea Thread now, but Shea Butter completely zaps that chemical smell. The next day after a relaxer I just evenly apply a bit in sections all over my hair. I end up just smelling like pure Shea Butter.

Sometime last year and the beginning of this year, I was using a lot of popular overseas brands. Ones from Japan and Korea. They are by no means naturally derived products, but they were so strong in fragrance that the leave-ins could neutralize that relaxer smell even the day of my relaxer. You could try some products from YesStyle.com. That’s where All those products I used came from. They’re affordable and made of salon quality stuff, since it’s targeted towards consumers who frequent the salon and do a lot of styling and heat usage. They produce one of my absolute all time favorite protein treatments.

Another thing I did once upon a time was use a baking soda rinse. Might be worth a try. Only reason I don’t do it anymore is because it roughs up my hair cuticles quite a bit.

Last but not least is a simple peppermint rinse. I’m talking POTENT. As concentrated as you can stand it. When I didn’t have anything else, I tried my best to have a spare essential peppermint tincture on hand. Fair warning, everything is gonna be whistling....everywhere when you’re in the shower with it. I use that word to describe that cool breeze/minty sensation. If anything else, that should do the trick.

OMG, thank you so much for this!! :urock:

I’m definitely going to look into the Asian hair products. And I do have peppermint castile soap that use to make my hair cleanser with lemon oil and powders. I could add additional peppermint EO. Hmm. :scratchchin: And yes, “whistling” is a great descriptor! LOL

And now that you’ve mentioned it, I believe years ago I did a fizzle, I think that’s what it’s called, once as my conditioner after a relaxer — the one that’s condish+amino acids+baking soda. I don’t remember if it got rid of the smell but I had one of the best presses I’ve ever had after that. That’s another reason to try it again.

Last edited:

PlanetCybertron

OMG, thank you so much for this!! :urock:

I’m definitely going to look into the Asian hair products. And I do have peppermint castile soap that use to make my hair cleanser with lemon oil and powders. I could add additional peppermint EO. Hmm. :scratchchin: And yes, “whistling” is a great descriptor! LOL

And now that you’ve mentioned it, I believe years ago I did a fizzle, I think that’s what it’s called, once as my conditioner after a relaxer — the one that’s condish+amino acids+baking soda. I don’t remember if it got rid of the smell but I had one of the best presses I’ve ever had after that. That’s another reason to try it again.

I have yet to delve into amino acids from things other than Butters, but I’m tempted to now. Granted I don’t know where to start.

MzSwift

Does anybody watch Seun on Youtube?
This is her most recent video.
Her hair has grown quite a bit. She advocates a lot of protective styles like crochet braids and sew-ins. I’m curious to see where her channel gets to in the future. Her styles also seem very doable, and not too complicated.

I love her! And her hair is definitely thriving.
Yes, she totally makes it look simple. She's the one who convince me that I could try my own sew in last year. I bought all of the hair, needles, etc. and then realized that NOPE, I ain't cut out for it. Lol.

abioni

Thank you so much for the tips. I bought henna and indigo to try again. I have used indigo before and it fried my hair. I have been researching ways to prevent the dryness.

The semi and demi colors are what broke my hair. I guess my hair doesn't like chemical dyes.

Oh no!

I've heard of relaxed ladies successfully using ayurveda powders to cover grays. That's what I plan to do when the time comes. But I know that sometimes,the grey hair can be stubborn. Some ladies use just Henna and are fine with the rust/orange color the grays get. Others use henna and indigo either together or in sequence. Some powders are supposed to naturally deter or treat graying like Brahmi, Bhringaraj and Amla.

Other ladies I've seen post that they use a semi/demi permanent hair color instead of a permanent color.

Either way, I hope you find a solution soon bc breakage is heartbreaking :(

abioni

Do you have a link to this? What is it called?

Taking a break from doing my hair to say, ladies, these new hot air brushes are the bomb! The best $30 I have spent this year. I got one like this.

I feel like this is a relaxed lady's best friend. The silicone bristles are so soft and flexible that I barely feel any snags. They have a little give like a paddle brush. I blow dry my hair before braiding it up for my PS. I'll keep using this as my primary blow dryer. My regular blow dryer w/the hard comb attachment will be used whenever I plan to flat iron as I think it gets my hair straighter.

PlanetCybertron

And so one of my rather neglectful habits has caught up to me:
Exhibit B (right side)

For a while now, I had blown off something I heard once on a YouTube video, but I don’t think I can anymore.

NEAT PARTS.

That part of my hair that’s completely broken off is from mostly....well...completely not parting my hair. So when it came time to braid some hairs would be all the way on the left side of my head in a braid, instead of being neatly braided down in the right side. Come time to moisturize or put them up I would continuously snap the same hairs in the exact same place, because I kept braiding in that exact same spot.

Case in point this style:

I like it, but as you can see, there’s really no part anywhere. And the hairs are being allowed to go any which way they please, and get left out, or get tugged on, or become frizzy.

All of which led to breakage. And it’s on both my leg and right side of my upper crown area on the exact same spots.

Exhibit B (left side)

So for right now I just put my hair in box braids while I try to revise a new approach. In the above pictures I was nearly done installing them. While my parts aren’t completely box-like, or geometric, my whole goal was to have them neat, all relatively the same size, and where my scalp was visible. Not tight or anything, but it ensured me that all of my hairs, especially at the root, we’re all contained, and couldn’t tangle up on each other.

In the back of my head I should’ve probably paid more attention to putting in time and effort to make sure my parts were neat when protective styling/braiding, but for a while I was under the assumption that parting wasn’t necessary unless you were going for really clean cut styles. Alas I was proven wrong.

But it’s not too bad though. The breakage could’ve been much much worse. It’s all a learning process.

MzSwift

Oh no @PlanetCybertron ! ((BIG HUG)) So good you caught it and identified the problem. Identifying the problem is the hardest part sometimes in this hair game.

Thank you for that reminder. That's also a habit I carried over from my natural days. I part with my fingers and it is very apparent when I do my cornrows. I get bad tangles probably from the combination of my poor skills and from not using straight parts.

And that's my update, ladies:

I'm almost 2 weeks into these crochet locs and I still love them but my cornrowing skills aren't the greatest. Because of that, the fact that I did about 13 of them and the fact that my strands are fine (so some of the cornrows are tiny), the cornrows along my edges are starting to loosen. :( I usually compensate for my poor skills by using a weaving net over the cornrows when I crochet but with the locs, I didn't want to do that. So I have to take them out. I need something that will last at least a month. I can't keep doing my hair every 2-3 weeks.

My hair does better in single braids/plaits or twists anyway. And I can keep those in longer. So I've been looking at installing either kinkier passion twists or spring twists. Because I stretch my relaxer so long and I don't have time/energy to actually care for my hair right now, I'm going to keep using the extension hair to protect. My hair is longish, so I'm looking for a long hair friendly style that doesn't look very long. I'll be happy to finally get settled into a style so that I can keep it in for 4-6 weeks. Wish me luck!

Here are the PSs I'm considering next:

I'm leaning more toward the bigger twists. Love those!

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
How do you like your results?
I loved my first relaxer after coming back from rocking natural/virgin hair.
I love the top, but I think I left too much texture in the back. Same as last time :lachen:
I would have had it, but the da*mb neutralizing shampoo kept dripping in my eyes. I started with the top this time. I’m thinking in about 4 weeks depending on how Sybil treats me, I might do a corrective. I did leave two pieces on the side of my head natural though :laugh:

*edit or I might not I love it lmao here’s my results
6907B16F-A511-40FD-9D40-356B85986FD5.jpeg

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Man, I never realized how much damage my natural hair hides until it’s relaxed or straightened. Being natural allows me to be too lazy :lachen:I need to be held accountable and relaxed hair will definitely do that. I’m still using my natural hair products (any APB products I didn’t give away, Oyin Juices and Berries, Melanin Twist Cream, Castor Oil(s)). I need to get some applicator bottles so I can get under my two french braids (which are under a headwrap), instead of constantly taking them down, moisturizing, and braiding them back up.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I was a little worried after I applied my relaxer cause it felt a little dry, buuut, after I deep conditioned, I applied my winning combo from my natural days...

Bam :clap:

It makes my relaxed hair feel soft too. Thank Gawd :crybaby::laugh:

These short pieces are killing me and I need a trim. I’m gonna try to trim it this weekend.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I have a potty mouth with a goldfish memory and I forget that I can’t curse on here. Often.:lachen:

Anyhoo, my hair is really soft. I mean REALLY soft. I don’t know if I should be worried or not, because I don’t wanna mess up my protein moisture balance. I usually wear my headwrap during the day, and take it off at night. Even the natural pieces are soft and they don’t get covered. I’m curious to see how long I can go before I have to moisturize again. I think I’m gonna do a lazy protein treatment (Aphogee 2step mixed with a deep conditioner) just to ease my mind lol.

MzSwift

I have a potty mouth with a goldfish memory and I forget that I can’t curse on here. Often.:lachen:

Anyhoo, my hair is really soft. I mean REALLY soft. I don’t know if I should be worried or not, because I don’t wanna mess up my protein moisture balance. I usually wear my headwrap during the day, and take it off at night. Even the natural pieces are soft and they don’t get covered. I’m curious to see how long I can go before I have to moisturize again. I think I’m gonna do a lazy protein treatment (Aphogee 2step mixed with a deep conditioner) just to ease my mind lol.

If it ain't broke don't try to fix it, sis. Soft sounds good to me!

MzSwift

No more cornrows. No more cornrows. No more cornrows.

I keep saying it but I’ll keep on until I get it through my thick skull. Lol. My hair gets especially tangled when I take down my PS and I’m working with lots of new growth.

Thinking of relaxing in the next 4 weeks or so. I’m only 12 weeks post. Planning to do some WNGs afterwards to help get rid of the relaxer smell. And because it’s summer time. Might get to finally practice the scrunching look. I really miss my easy texlax hair. WNG used to be my everyday look when it was short. I’m excited to try this on long hair.

Last edited:

MzSwift

Braiding my hair and wearing it as a braid out causes tangles for me @MzSwift. But I can't help it cos when I am more than 8 weeks post I have to wash my hair in braids otherwise tangle city. I think my hair is too fine.

I think you’re right, sis. It might be a fine-haired thing. I also used to wash my hair in braids too, I think I’m going to go back to it. Thanks for the reminder!

My hair loves medium sized plaits though so I’m going to stick to those. I will only rock those as a base for my wigs and crochet styles. I also like mini braids bc it gets frizzy almost immediately and I like the imperfect look. They just take FOREVER to do and to take down.

sunnieb

I haven't been in the thread in a lil bit, so I need to hop back and catch up with y'all.

Update on me:

Relaxed last week and unfortunately experienced more breakage at the nape and my crown. I decreased my relaxer time to 15 minutes and relaxed those areas last with no extra smoothing.

My overall hair is still growing in nicely. I can even make a scrunchie ponytail now!!!

20190610_173324_resized.jpg

I'll continue pushing forward and go back to using castor oil twice daily instead of a few times a week.

Now let me go catch up.....

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I haven't been in the thread in a lil bit, so I need to hop back and catch up with y'all.

Update on me:

Relaxed last week and unfortunately experienced more breakage at the nape and my crown. I decreased my relaxer time to 15 minutes and relaxed those areas last with no extra smoothing.

My overall hair is still growing in nicely. I can even make a scrunchie ponytail now!!!

View attachment 447795

I'll continue pushing forward and go back to using castor oil twice daily instead of a few times a week.

Now let me go catch up.....
Ooh yes hunny!