Relaxed Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by sweetpeadst, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ItsMeLilLucky

ItsMeLilLucky Aka Giveme D’Monee

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I need to find something for my ends. My beloved HBCO doesn’t seem to work as well on my ends as it does on my new growth. Ends feel kinda dry. Also, that man hacked the **** out of the back of my hair. It’s like the old school 90’s black woman mullet. Note to self: only let them wash and straighten. This **** is truly unfortunate af. I gotta laugh to keep from crying. Now I just wanna hide in a protective style for a few months until I recover:cry3: :laugh:

Wenbev, GraceandJoy, 11228 and 2 others like this.
  2. PlanetCybertron

PlanetCybertron Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I wear my hair out occasionally. But I’m like hyper focused on my hair most of the time, so I limit myself to what I call “down passes” ergo, I allow myself 2-3 times out of the year to have my hair down, and it’s usually in conjunction with a heat pass, meaning I’ve also straightened my hair that day too.

I’d say if you find ease in it, by all means go for it. Only reason I keep my hair pretty much up constantly is because my hair will snag on anything and everything if given the opportunity. My ends are very grabby just because of how long and old they are, and the fact that I don’t trim currently.

I always feel so excited and happy when I first go about my day with straightened hair, by the time I’m heading home my hair is up in a bun and I’m irritated and frustrated because I’m remembering everything my hair snagged on, or how many times it tangled up and I’m just like “definitely not doing this again for a while”

But eventually as time passes I get excited to wear it straight again.

Wenbev, GraceandJoy, sunnieb and 2 others like this.
  3. PlanetCybertron

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I can so relate to this too.

I’m always staring at my hair in the mirror after wash days because I’ve legit never had or experienced a somewhat even length of hair.

If and when my benign obsession with seeing how long my hair can possibly get ever subsides I’ll probably be trying to see how well I can keep up having mostly a blunt cut or at least the majority of hair at one even length.

Only upside to layers is that buns secure easily for me, and my twists manage to stay without me needing an embarrassing amount of holding butter or gel.

GGsKin, Wenbev, sunnieb and 2 others like this.
  4. Fotchygirl

Fotchygirl Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    @MzSwift thank you for the inspirational pics, I needed it. I have been going through a hard time with my hair, it started growing then breaking because of negligence from me. The scalp eczema is also not making things easy for me and I feel discouraged when I see friends who came behind me having longer hair than mine just because their scalps have no problems. If I remember clearly my hair was growing when I used to wash it twice in a week, I will go back to doing that starting from today. I will give updates for accountability.

Wenbev, GraceandJoy, sunnieb and 2 others like this.
  5. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    @Fotchygirl

That sounds like a plan! You can do it!!

And to me, that's the best way to build a regi that you can be consistent with - making one small, simple change at a time. It keeps me from getting overwhelmed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Wenbev, GraceandJoy and 11228 like this.
  6. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I think @sunnieb just posted about an end sealer product. I have been sealing my ends more heavily as well since reading about my texlax idol, Isis, on here. She used Vaseline or an end sealer product. Some ladies also use grease (Blue Magic, etc), shea butter or a butter mix.

For reference, here's Isis's gorgeous texlaxed 4b hair. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lalla, Wenbev, Sanity and 6 others like this.
  7. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    @MzSwift Thanks love! I have some Shea and I’m gonna try it on my ends.

GGsKin, Wenbev, GraceandJoy and 2 others like this.
  8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Hairlicious hair still amazes me... I swear I see her hair pics and just wonder how. I know she details her regimen and I'm sure I've read it in the past quite a few times but it's like an entirely different hair of hair. What amazes me is the thickness and density!!!!! Good lord. Her thickness and density is unreal to me! Even as a a natural my hair is not high density at all. It just appears more full because it's natural.

12-16 week touch ups seem to be the sweet spot for stretches.

9. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Yes! Her hair is droolworthy! Even when she has it fully straight. :drool:

I'm in the same boat, sis, I don't have her density and most of my strands are baby fine. When I was natural, my hair's density was not on that level.

GGsKin, Prisangela, sunnieb and 4 others like this.
  10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Ditto to all of this.
    Her hair is off the charts.

11. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I was up all night washing, DCing (protein + moisture) and rebraiding my plaits. Then I twisted my plaits in a flat twist crown around my head. Now I'm wigging it. I pinned it on using the thinner hair pins instead of bobby pins which hurt my head so much. I plan to keep it on for 1-2 weeks then wash, DC, rebraid and wig again.

OH, I pulled down a patch from my nape and it's WL. :) So happy to do that with texlaxed hair! Now, time to get the other layers down there. Still no length goal. Just trying to nail down a simple regi that I can keep up even when I'm lazy and that will help me retain length.

weavepat, GGsKin, sunnieb and 6 others like this.
  12. PlanetCybertron

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Congratulations on reaching WL!!!

I am loving that wig too! And your skin is so glossy and beautiful!!

GGsKin, Wenbev, GraceandJoy and 2 others like this.
  13. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Aww, thanks so much, sis! :blush2: :kiss:

14. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    sunnieb, Wenbev, Sanity and 3 others like this.
  15. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    :lachen::sneakyhug:

sunnieb and ItsMeLilLucky like this.
  16. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    My new growth is so AGGRESSIVE. I need to hurry up and braid or relax my hair.

sunnieb, Wenbev, GraceandJoy and 3 others like this.
  17. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    So I'm thinking about how I'm so amazed by where my hair is right now. I'm a slow grower y'all, I've recorded my growth since I started this HHJ and I grow about 4"-5" per year. I'm a TALL 5'5", Lol, meaning that ppl usually think I'm taller than I actually am. And now my nape is about 2"-3" from HL when I pulled it down. Amazing.

This was just March 2019, 5 months ago! (ETA correct date, LOL)

I'm keeping in mind that this was just an informal length check the other day but even DH was congratulating me. He remembers taking the picture after I cut last year.

I've been DCing more consistently because of the crochet styles and other PSing. That's really the only time I DC in these lazy days is right before I braid up for the PS. But I think something else has been helping...

You ladies remember Njoy when she came on the scene and wet bunned her way from SL to WL/HL in like a year? LOL. Well we were in a lot of challenges together on BHM and she would talk about visualization and visualizing yourself having the hair you want.

And that made so much sense to me! I had used visualization in the past to bring my family home to fruition. No lie, I closed my eyes everyday and saw us living into a large, brick home with a side entry 3-car garage and soon after I started IT HAPPENED!! So I thought, sure why not try it with hair. In 2012, I started visualizing my hair at WL. Mind you, most of my adult life, my hair has only been 3"-4" long at most. Well sure enough, by Christmas 2013, my hair was WL (see my siggy pic). I had even slacked on my regi due a divorce and relocation 4 states away. No ayurveda, no weekly or biweekly DCing, no covering my hair at night :blush2: and still made it.

RECEIPTS:

April 2012

April 2013

December 2013

Doing my regi of weekly cleansing, DCing, daily M&Sing, 99% PSing, ayurveda, vitamins, etc.

Ocotber 2011

April 2012

I can definitely see a difference in retention. And I'm not much of a trimmer.

Sorry, this ended up being longer than I anticipated. Lol, :blush2:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Sosoothing, GGsKin, demlew and 11 others like this.
  18. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
  19. SugarRush

SugarRush Member

Blog Posts:
    Did any of you ladies go from natural to relaxed/texlaxed?

Wenbev, Britt and ItsMeLilLucky like this.
  20. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I did! I shaved my head and grew out my natural hair to WL. Then I texlaxed it. I don't regret texlaxing at all.

sunnieb, Wenbev, GraceandJoy and 2 others like this.
  21. icsonia22

icsonia22 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Gorgeous hair!

sunnieb, PlanetCybertron and MzSwift like this.
  22. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
  23. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I did, and I loved it at first. Then I got it “cut” and now it looks crazy.

Wenbev, GraceandJoy and SugarRush like this.
  24. SugarRush

SugarRush Member

Blog Posts:
    I have been thinking about texlaxing for over a year now. I’ve been natural for over 6 years and I’m tired of my hair and it’s taking so much of my time. Before going natural, I use to self-relax so I am familiar with relaxers. And I had healthy bsl hair before transitioning, back then I actually use to look forward to wash days. These days I’m constantly cutting my hair due to ssk and tangling. My 4c hair doesn’t seem to hold any type of style for more than a day or two (and even that is with a lot of product, which leads to buildup).

I really want to relax my hair again but I am close to bsl and I’ve never relaxed virgin hair before. Plus I’m scared I’ll regret it. But honestly, I’ve not been enjoying my hair when I wear it out. I usually end up with clip-ins or putting in braids.

@MzSwift Your hair is gorgeous. Do you use a particular brand that doesn’t make your hair too straight? Did you do the initial texlaxing yourself or did you go to a hairdresser?

@ItsMeLilLucky What happened with the cut? Is it too short?

25. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    @SugarRush I have layers of all different lengths. Like Edward Scissorhands had an argument with his lover and came to work mad.

26. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    @SugarRush
    Sounds like you're gonna be good if do decide to texlax. I had never had long hair before I grew it long natural so I thought planning activities around hair needs was typical for having long hair. But it's so much easier to do my texlaxed hair at the last minute, I couldn't do that with my cottony 4B hair.

I use mild relaxers, but they're not created equal. I use Motions Lye mild. I tried IDEAL mild once and I found it to be much stronger than Motions. My hair processed really quickly.

I did my own virgin texlax. I was so worried about messing up all of the progress I had made as a natural that I left too much texture in my hair. I loved that I could actually finally WNG but I still dealt with shrinkage and SSKs, which were a big reason why I texlaxed in the first place.

Then I decided to go much straighter about 6 months later which solved the SSK and shrinkage issues. But when I got pregnant I went back to texlaxing. The difference wasn't noticeable most of the time. After my first postpartum texlax, I straightened and started rocking my hair in pigtail braids out of convenience. The difference between the straight relaxed and texlaxed hair was so noticeable in the braids. It looked bad. o_O So I had to grow out the straighter hair.

If you have fine hair like mine, you may end up preferring to texlax as well. I used to dilute the relaxer but I found that my results were too inconsistent because the state of my hair was the variable. So now, I apply the condish and oil to my hair and apply my relaxer undiluted. I feel I have more control over the texture that way. I cut off the bonelaxed hair last year and now my ponytails and braids are much more uniformed and thicker.

Like everything in this journey, it's all trial and error but I hope my mistakes can help you decide. :)

GGsKin, Prisangela, SugarRush and 8 others like this.
  27. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Just relaxed my today. I guess I’ll see how bad the damage is once I rinse the dc out. One thing I’ve realized is that I can’t do any long term stretching unless I’m in braids 24/7. My new growth is just too danggone aggressive lol. I think 3 months is probably the sweet spot, but after the second month I need to be in some braids or something.

Wenbev, sunnieb, imaginary and 3 others like this.
  28. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, that's the trick! Once the new growth starts getting sassy, put it away so that you don't have to deal with it often. That should help limit a lot of frustration. I hope your relaxer turned out ok. I know you were NOT happy about the layers that were cut into it. But they'll grow out quickly! :)

29. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    @MzSwift My relaxer turned out pretty good so far. I’ll have to keep a close eye on it in the next couple of weeks. Thanks so much for asking :yep:

I took some of the volume out so I can no longer do a fro lol. With all the layers it just looks crazy. I’ll try to take a picture sometime this week.

GraceandJoy, Wenbev, 11228 and 2 others like this.
  30. PlanetCybertron

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I did too. This was how I had my hair most of highschool and middle school.
    [​IMG]

I went through a period of time where I would always pick my hair out to the point of it just being an extremely fluffy Afro. But I really liked wearing it like that. And I’d always roller set my bangs and brush them out. That was my signature style for some time too. This was before all the Curl defining styles really blew up on YouTube and are now the preferred ways to wear natural hair. So I always rocked an Afro.

I also wore wash and gos quite a bit and made to MBL/Brushing WL before I decided to chop all of it off, dye it, and then Relax it.

Typical wash and go I did. Once I figured out how to really define a wash and go I started wearing them more. My wash and gos weren’t really tightly defined. I guess I just wasn’t heavy handed with the products. Sorry for the blurry quality. Only picture I could manage to dig up.
    [​IMG] This was A bit before graduation. I wasn’t completely sure what my hair type was, and I’m still not 100% sure now, but I didn’t particularly care then, as I don’t now either. But for info sake, I was completely sure that I was in the 4b or 4c curl type for the longest, but I eventually noticed that with my hair being so fine and such a soft silk-like texture that most if not all of my hair is actually a circular/barrel-like 3b-ish hair type. It was very easy for a wash and go to weigh my curls down and almost make them turn into waves depending on what product I used and how much. The next picture of my TWA shows my curl pattern a lot better.

I really enjoyed being natural. I was for most of my life, with that one exception being the first time I asked my mom for a relaxer around 12-14 years old. Somewhere in middle school? Something like that. Didn’t like it at the time, so I stayed natural after that.

This one was when I chopped all my hair off and proceeded to go through a dyeing phase lol.
    [​IMG]

I was still natural and rocking a TWA. I didn’t really try to style my TWA because when I did it completely loosened my curls so I would just water down some conditioner, spray it all over my hair, and let it shrink up at much as it wanted to, but you can see how my curls are more like some type of circular, small, barrel type of curl. They’ve always been like that. So I just accept them and love them for how they are.

Then I decided to relax, but still kept my vibrant colors:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that I really dug my heels in deep and decided to see how long my hair could get being relaxed with the newfound understanding I had of it. So I grew out the color and stuck with a regimen For some years. Currently, my avatar is how long I’ve managed to get it without any trims or cutting of any kind.

I also have my album available for viewing if you wanted to see the progression of growth over the years from around 2014-2015 up until now.

So it’s very much up to you how you wish to have your hair and care for it. So long as you’re feeling good about it and you’re happy that’s the main goals as well. I too had some rough patches in my natural haired years, and I do still encounter set backs being relaxed now, so I completely support you in your endeavors. Whichever way you wish to go.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019