Relaxed Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by sweetpeadst, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Wenbev

Wenbev Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    GGsKin, ItsMeLilLucky and MzSwift like this.
  2. Wenbev

Wenbev Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    My hair was feeling limp, dry and greasy all at the same time so I clarified/chelated with redken clean maniac cleansing cream. I let it sit for 10 min before washing it out. then used @MzSwift suggestion, moremo protein treatment and then joico mask blue container with heat for an hour. Still air drying, hopefully good results in morning.

lalla, nymane, GGsKin and 2 others like this.
  3. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Yay, you bought it! I hope it works out. Although, I've never used it with many other products, so I'm excited to see how your hair turns out.

Wenbev and ItsMeLilLucky like this.
  4. ItsMeLilLucky

ItsMeLilLucky Aka Giveme D’Monee

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks love!

Wenbev likes this.
  5. Wenbev

Wenbev Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I bought it a while back and used it once, but then I was going thru protein overload bc I wasn't reading labels. lol
    This time around, I think it fit in to was I was hoping to accomplish and I think it will be a regular treatment maybe once a month and before and after a touch up.
    I am still working thru some color damage and I was scissor happy and have some hormonal thinning (I think) and overall hair and skin dryness BUT my hair really felt strong but well moisturized with the joico mask.
    and @MzSwift none of your advice has been wrong. the salt, diagnosing my protein overload, products, etc. Thank you :)

6. Royalq

Royalq Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I’m scurred for my next touch. Going on 8 months

7. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    :blush2:
    I'm happy that I helped, sis!
    Internal issues are THE WORST -- bc you could do everything right externally and not see the results. When I have them, it makes me feel like I'm going crazy! So it's good to hear that you've got an awareness of what's going on inside. I hope you can overcome those things soon! ((BIG HUG))

ETA: IIRC, aren't you also taking a nutritional supplement to help? Is it helping you?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Wenbev likes this.
  8. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    LOL!! What's scaring you?

I typically stretch anywhere from 5-8 months but I actually feel like my touchups are better when I stretch that long. Especially if I flat iron it right after the post-relaxer DC, it's like it "sets" my hair or something.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't have a "consistent" texture but that doesn't bother me bc my natural hair doesn't have a consistent texture either. My nape, crown and edges are all totally different from each other. :redface:

9. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    8 months :eek:
    I tried to make it to 6 months and barely made it to 4 :lachen:
    I’m so proud of you girl lol

I’m not gonna lie, I was kinda scared to do mine cause my new growth was TIGHT. But once I got started after I coated the :censored: out of my previously relaxed strands with the preconditioner and grease, I was good to go.
    I just had to remember to keep the application time and smoothing time separate. I caught myself trying to smooth when I was supposed to be just applying and I wasn’t done applying to the entire section. That would have been tragic :laugh:

I did in four sections, but next time I’m gonna try two. I think I’ve gotten faster.

I think you’ll be okay since you have less chance of overlapping your previously relaxed hair. Just remember to keep an eye on the time.

10. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Just came in to post my visualization inspiration. I love watching her videos bc she doesn't have super thick/dense relaxed hair and I love it. I think if my hair grew longer it would look like this. I love how easily she combs through it. The only thing I don't think I could do is the constant middle part but it works for her, it looks good on her too.

11. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    @MzSwift I wish she would post more videos. She even turned her comments off :cry3:
    I love reading comments while listening to videos

Wenbev, MzSwift and GGsKin like this.
  12. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry, I almost fell asleep replying last night so I let Mr. Sandman win. LOL

Yeah, IKR! I watch YT vids on mute so I usually read through comments to get any info I miss from cc, Lol. I understand though if she just doesn't have the energy to maintain a YT page and respond to the same questions again and again. It's one of the reasons I couldn't have a YT. If I did, I would just do one with no comments at all too.

13. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    As a connoisseur of good quality sleep, I gotta say I understand :lachen:

14. SpiceUpMyHair

SpiceUpMyHair Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    she use to be my favorite but since she doesn’t post much I fill my time with Hairlicious, brianne rashay & April sunny.

15. FadingDelilah

FadingDelilah Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Ive been procrastinating my corrective because I keep remembering how long it took my to base my scalp last time. Ughhh. Does anyone here not base theirs when using lye?? I'm thinking of not.... But i dont wanna regret it ALOT.

16. Sosoothing

Sosoothing Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    I'm seriously considering cutting off all my hair. Like buzz cut short. I was going to cut off my pony tail yesterday but couldn't find the scissors.

I heard or read once that many times when a woman wants to do something drastic to her hair, she is usually going through some significant things in her life. It just so happens to be the case with me right now. For some reason I'm so tired of my hair.
    20200110_130119~2.jpg

GraceandJoy, Wenbev, demlew and 3 others like this.
  17. Sosoothing

Sosoothing Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    @MzSwift you said to tag you when I posted a hair pic.

I'm so excited it worked! Been so frustrated for days now trying to share hair pics and not figuring it out. But I don't even remember what I just did Lol. That was just a test. Let me try again.

Wenbev, GGsKin, MzSwift and 1 other person like this.
  18. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    :lachen: I bet it's hard bc you just did it not too long ago. Can you do it while watching TV or a movie? This may be unpopular opinion but your parts don't have to be straight. And you could just do it all with your fingers. One part down the middle, and then just start making horizontal parts on one side and then the other. If you do it that way it shouldn't take you too long?

It takes me about 1 hr or so to base my scalp (bc I also coat my hair with product and twist at the same time) and only 8-10 minutes for the actual relaxing process, it's crazy!! But I only do it 2-3 times a year.

19. MzSwift

MzSwift Texlaxed, Fine

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Yay, it worked!! :pulpdance:

And Oh Em Gee, look at that beautifully thick hair!! Why would you cut that off??

20. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I don’t base my scalp :duck:
    I just base my hairline, my forehead, my jaw, and my neck. But of course I add oil to my relaxer and I use no-lye. So my opinion probably doesn’t count :laugh:

21. FadingDelilah

Blog Posts:
    I think I'ma base since it's better safe than sorry and like you said, it's only a few times a year @MzSwift . I know it burned my face a little so let me not play with these caustics. Lol.

MzSwift, Wenbev, GGsKin and 1 other person like this.
  22. FadingDelilah

Blog Posts:
    What is your acv recipe for neutralizing? @MzSwift I want to make sure mine isn't too diluted.

MzSwift and ItsMeLilLucky like this.
  23. FadingDelilah

Blog Posts:
    Okay so I just did my corrective. It was horrible. I hate neutralizing. I think its the shampoo though because no matter how many times I very very thoroughly neutralized and rinsed, the bubbles were always still pinkish!!!! So I just gave up. I think its not accurate. It took me nearly 15 mins to apply the relaxer and I kept it in for 26. Still have highly textured hair. It feels soooo weak, brittle and gross. I'm going to try deep conditioning for a few weeks and see how it turns out. Maybe I'm judging it too fast. Maybe this is normal???

But the worst that can happen is I just shave it all. So theres that. This is my last attempt at this hair thing.

GraceandJoy and MzSwift like this.
  24. ItsMeLilLucky

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    @FadingDelilah I am so sad that you’re going through this with your hair. Maybe it’s not you, just your brand of relaxer.

Wenbev likes this.
  25. Wenbev

Wenbev Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    what is your next step after neutralizing? and what brand are you using? Im curious now.

Prisangela and ItsMeLilLucky like this.
  26. Wenbev

Wenbev Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Im seeing a naturopath for my overactive thyroid and those numbers are slowly getting to where they need to be with supplementation and diet change. So that's great, but this thinning situation is some new ish I don't understand.
    Hopefully it will alll sort out soon, otherwise I may just cut and call it a day. My head is too big for wigs.lol

GraceandJoy likes this.
  27. FadingDelilah

Blog Posts:
    I'm using the isoplus neutralizing shampoo. It's orange. After I condition and then use my glycerin spray as a leave in.

MzSwift and Wenbev like this.
  28. FadingDelilah

Blog Posts:
    Im at a stage where I need to learn how to manage this new hair texture. It seems dry no matter what, and I'm not sure if it's the looser texture but all the hair in the shower drain and on the walls is freaking me out. I don't know if its shed hair that can slide out more easily with just water pressure than my 4c shed hairs ever could, or if its breakage, but its freaking me out. I do know I'm seeing little breakage pieces too, so I'm going to try an amino acid treatment to strengthen. Maybe then it'll stay more moisturized and break less. I also need a very good cut. I'm tired of having 4-5 inches of thinnnnn dead ends. I might just do it myself. The plus side is my hair seems much easier to detangle and hangs face framing now.

11228, GraceandJoy, MzSwift and 2 others like this.
  29. Wenbev

Wenbev Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Did you do the ACV rinse in between neutralizing? And what kind of conditioner? with heat?
    Just trying to sort out the disconnect. Maybe the isoplus neutralizer isn't your friend. What relaxer brand do you use? Maybe try the neutralizer for the brand relaxer you're using? and use a really thick, heavy moisture-driven conditioner after a quick protein treatment.

In your last post I see you mention doing an amino acid treatment, please be sure to followup with moisture deep condition preferably with heat as aminos are protein and on top your hair is dry so you'd really want to impart as much moisture as you can. Maybe even do some cowshes in between washday too!

30. FadingDelilah

Blog Posts:
    You're right. I will work on moisture before I do protein. I did the acv before my last time neutralizing. I am starting to think it's that isoplus too. It smells like clay under the fragrance and I can't stand it. I just got it cause it was the cheapest color coded neutralizer I could find on Amazon. Im at a loss because after two relaxers with very little oil added my hair is still curly!!!!! I feel like just banishing my hair to an eternal buzzcut. Ughhhh