Relaxed Hair Thread

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
If I showed y’all my hair right at this very instant, you would swear up and down I was natural with some heat damage. I prepooed with grapeseed oil and aphoghee 2 minute reconstructor and a plastic cap for probably and hour or so ( I’m tired y’all lol. Somebody’s kid is always :censored: yelling. I’m stressed like these my doggone kids).

The first thing I said when I saw my “fro” is what the :censored: :lachen:

On the plus side, my hair is soft :laugh:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
If I showed y’all my hair right at this very instant, you would swear up and down I was natural with some heat damage. I prepooed with grapeseed oil and aphoghee 2 minute reconstructor and a plastic cap for probably and hour or so ( I’m tired y’all lol. Somebody’s kid is always :censored: yelling. I’m stressed like these my doggone kids).

Probably why I have had so much breakage. That 4 month stretch plus the TWO caps of oil is probably why my hair looks the way it does lol

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee

I actually slept in it :laugh:

sunnieb

Welp, my usual website to order relaxer is gone.

Anybody else use Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp? Where do you buy it?

I'm Googling now for reputable places.....

MzSwift

GL @sunnieb ! I don't go to stores much but I'll keep my eyes open.

Also, I found a brick and mortar BSS in the Detroit area that has an online site and that's where I buy a lot of my hair products when I'm nervous about Amazon. Lol

MzSwift

I saw pics of the Duchess of Sussex today and admired her hair again. In another thread, we were discussing whether she uses wigs and also the Japanese thermal-type system. Then I thought about Zoe Saldana's hair as well -- she uses that thermo system. They both seem to wear their hair out often and it's beautiful.

upload_2020-2-17_9-29-42.jpeg

upload_2020-2-17_9-31-7.jpeg

Being on the hair boards for so long, I'm not gonna chalk it up to them being mixed-race as I've seen plenty of us grow long hair. What I want to know is how I can regularly wear my hair out, effortlessly like that, and have it look so healthy. Not like the wraps that we do but full and bouncy. I haven't seen a lot of ladies on the board who wear their hair out like that all of the time. And when I tried to do it, I gradually lost length. There has to be a way for us to do it. I love feeling my hair flowing in the wind. It makes me feel pretty and feminine. But I don't get to do it very often bc I don't want to damage it. Does anyone have any ideas?

abioni

@MzSwift, I personally believe hair strand strength matters. Some people are blessed with hair strands that can take abuse. Their hair can handle several types of chemical treatments and the use of heat on top of that. I have personally tried keratin treatments when I was natural and apart from my allergy to Formaldehyde (gave me bald spot), my hair is 4c so it didn't get my hair completely straight which meant additional heat was needed and my fine strands can't handle all that. Also hair dryness matters, it gets stiff and affects the way the hair moves.

Hair straighteners manufacturers need to come up with a different approach for people with uber curly hair and fine strands and for hair that are dry that get stiff after a while.

MzSwift

@MzSwift, I personally believe hair strand strength matters. Some people are blessed with hair strands that can take abuse. Their hair can handle several types of chemical treatments and the use of heat on top of that. I have personally tried keratin treatments when I was natural and apart from my allergy to Formaldehyde (gave me bald spot), my hair is 4c so it didn't get my hair completely straight which meant additional heat was needed and my fine strands can't handle all that. Also hair dryness matters, it gets stiff and affects the way the hair moves.

Hair straighteners manufacturers need to come up with a different approach for people with uber curly hair and fine strands and for hair that are dry that get stiff after a while.

ITA w you about hair strength. That's actually what I was wondering about. There has to be fine stranded ladies who wear their hair out often. I'm talking at least 50% of the time. Even just sticking with relaxing/texlaxing, is there a way to have that bouncy hair each day without damage? Even if we just have to DC twice a week or something. The only thing I can think of weekly wash, DC and rollersetting but I'm too chicken to rollerset.

I said last year that I was gonna try doing a single bantu knot top bun to airdry my hair. And then letting it down for bouncy curls after a day or two. But I'm someone who primarily finger detangle and styles so I'm worried that brushing it up into the knot will cause damage. Maybe I'll do it old school and dip my brush in water and grease or conditioner. Lol, smh

Wenbev

I saw pics of the Duchess of Sussex today and admired her hair again. In another thread, we were discussing whether she uses wigs and also the Japanese thermal-type system. Then I thought about Zoe Saldana's hair as well -- she uses that thermo system. They both seem to wear their hair out often and it's beautiful.

View attachment 455757

View attachment 455759

Being on the hair boards for so long, I'm not gonna chalk it up to them being mixed-race as I've seen plenty of us grow long hair. What I want to know is how I can regularly wear my hair out, effortlessly like that, and have it look so healthy. Not like the wraps that we do but full and bouncy. I haven't seen a lot of ladies on the board who wear their hair out like that all of the time. And when I tried to do it, I gradually lost length. There has to be a way for us to do it. I love feeling my hair flowing in the wind. It makes me feel pretty and feminine. But I don't get to do it very often bc I don't want to damage it. Does anyone have any ideas?
I remember reading back when the Duchess was on suits that she did a Brazilian blowout...

SpiceUpMyHair

I bought 2 giant tubs when I was NYC for a funeral cause I can’t find it here in FL. So worth it though. I tried the Mizani rhelaxer and it’s just not the same
I also made the switch to mizani bb from ors. Loved the results much better. You can order it online from Ensley beauty supply. They sell mizani and design essentials. I place orders from them all the time.

sunnieb

Got my hair straightener in the mail yesterday (thanks dh!). I'm probably going to test it out once I hit six weeks post.

My goal is to only loosen my newgrowth so it doesn't matte and tangle around on itself. I haven't used direct heat in 9 years, but I'm ready thanks to LHCF.

Here's the one I got:
Screenshot_20200223-103239_Facebook.jpg

danysedai

I just watched her video from someone who recommended her in my relaxed hair group on Facebook
It was me!:bighug:
I shared it to 100 relaxed hair group and to Relaxed hair sisters. I told the blogger beforehand that I was going to share her video as I'm the reader that she talks about, I've been telling her for years to start a channel and share her tips and journey.

sweetiep

Hi ladies! I wanted to slide back into this relaxed hair conversation. I’ve been out for a while. I was natural for a few years then moved to Houston and my hair would not be great here. I went back to relaxed a little over a year ago cut my hair back to neck length, nowI think my hair and I are just coming to an understanding. We shall see! There’s a lot of good information in here!!

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
It was me!:bighug:
I shared it to 100 relaxed hair group and to Relaxed hair sisters. I told the blogger beforehand that I was going to share her video as I'm the reader that she talks about, I've been telling her for years to start a channel and share her tips and journey.
Ooh hey girl! Lol to be completely honest half the time I don’t look at names or pictures :lachen:

MzSwift

So I was summoned for Jury Duty this week. Since I don't go anywhere these days, I'm thinking of doing my amino acid tx and then straightening my hair. I'm over 3 months post and that tx helps my new growth to saddown when I flat iron. I plan to throw in some curls for effect. Since I'm fat and none of my clothes fit, post baby, the least I can do is have my hair looking good. LOL

Besides, DH is super stoked about Super Tuesday, I can treat him to playing in my flat ironed hair which he loves to do. Make this a good week and all... LOL

MzSwift

I finished straightening my hair last night and should have taken a picture. It looked good. I tried wrapping it like I always do and when I unwrapped it after my shower this morning, my roots were sweated out :( And I saw too many small hairs in the sink. No more wrapping for me. I should've just cross wrapped.

BUT,

a section of my hair is WHIP length!!!

upload_2020-3-3_11-10-23.jpeg

Since I can't upload a Back Up Off Me dance, Imma just leave these here.

Last edited: