Relaxed Hair Thread

MzSwift

@MzSwift Oh Whoa, Ya Ya
:bdance:

I See you Sis!

:lachen:

sunnieb

@MzSwift :yahoo:

I'm dc'ing now with Nexxus Humectress after clarifying and moisture shampoo.

My hair is still going through 'thangs'. Scheduled for full blood workup in May to make sure my body is absorbing nutrients as needed. This can obviously affect hair health if I'm lacking.

I'm kind of enjoying being this much into my hair again though. All the deep conditioning, cowashing, etc., I'm in my element! My hair may be changed permanently and short, but it's gone be purty! :gorgeous:.

Wenbev

I will track this as my starting over point as of Saturday. Started doing weekly DCs, which I’m beginning to like all over again. I love that there are still a few relaxed heads left. Even though I was natural for a few years. It was just too much work, especially with the ssks.
View attachment 456417
that was my main reason for going back to relaxers. them pesky AF SSKs. ugh.

sunnieb

Hair care tonight:

Clarify with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo

Shampoo with Nexxus Keraphix Damage Healing Shampoo

Deep conditioning now with Nexxus Keraphix for Damaged Hair Conditioner (added a dollop of honey and EVOO)

I can feel the difference in the condition of my hair with being consistent with my routine. Still a long way to go, but I'm getting there!

sunnieb

@sweetiep yep!

I went back and read my posts from when I first found LHCF. I wanted long hair so bad that I was willing to do whatever my hair needed.

I'm pretty much mirroring my hair care from that time and my hair is doing much better.

I haven't used heat since 2011, but I plan to soon. I already have my straightener and heat protectant. :)

MzSwift

I have finally accepted today that I am just not a loose hair lady. smh. Esp not with long hair. I kept my hair short for about 17 years or so bc I thought long hair would be too much work and I'm proving myself right. LOL. Even with it bunned or in a braided ponytail, I'm worried about friction (and breakage) when I lay back on the couch. And I worry about the daily manipulation when detangling or even just refreshing my ponytail. Too much for my laid back nature. But I'm going to keep growing my hair bc I like rocking it out when the mood strikes. That's why I'll continue to relax, so that there's less manipulation.

So I'm currently putting in mini braids. These have been my go-to style since 2010 and I'm not yet ready to let them go. I love that I can rock these like loose hair without the damage/stress of detangling, and friction from my couch potato ways. I can water rinse/cowash daily and let them airdry down or in a ponytail with little damage. I may still relax in May like I originally planned. I'll be about 6 months post then. But I'm thinking of stretching even longer. But I may just go to 8-12 month stretches, esp if I'm keeping it in mini braids most of the time. I refresh those one at a time every 3-4 weeks which limits manipulation. And there's something so refreshing to me about rocking my hair loose and straightened with the fall air blowing through it. Spring, summer and winter have their drawbacks for straightening but it's usually cool and dry in the fall. Great hair flipping weather! Lol

Anyway, back to braiding. It'll probably take me a few days to finish. I'll try to post pics when I'm done.

sweetiep

@MzSwift I can only imagine the frustration. I’ve only been close to APL before cutting it off again. I did love my hair short too though. It was so easy to style every week but I also want to know how long I can grow it. It looks like you are doing a great job with your hair.

MzSwift

@MzSwift I can only imagine the frustration. I’ve only been close to APL before cutting it off again. I did love my hair short too though. It was so easy to style every week but I also want to know how long I can grow it. It looks like you are doing a great job with your hair.

Thanks so much @sweetiep ! :) When I first started my HHJ, APL was my ultimate length goal! I actually never thought I'd reach it. Let me tell you, sis, you can totally do it! APL snuck up on me while I was back-to-back PSing with extensions. By the time I took them out, I was BSB. You've got a good regi, I'm sure you'll get back to APL pretty quickly!

Wenbev

@Wenbev Exactly! How is your relaxer journey going?
Warning, this is a lengthly answer. LOL. Unfortunately, there's been a steep learning curve. I've had to switch from blowdrying to air drying and change the products I've used in the past with natural hair. I know a lot of people say the same products can work on natural or relaxed hair, but that has not been the case for me.
I've also had some health setbacks with in turn, affected my hair. Low iron, fast thyroid and hormonal issues. Anyhoo, I cut my hair back to neck length to help get rid of the damage/breakage in December and I feel my hair is making a recovery. With all that said, I would still go back to being relaxed. But it sucks because I have nothing to show for the 11 years I was natural. But with all the changes I've made to routines, products and techniques, I feel confident I can grow my hair back.

Wenbev

how's everyone holding up with the corona virus situation? I am socially distancing myself especially since school in my county has been suspended for four weeks! I am able to work from home and also keep an eye on my son too. So for the next four weeks I'm going makeup free, braless, cooking all meals and putting my hair in a couple of plaits under a scarf and not leave the house. Keep safe everyone.

Fotchygirl

how's everyone holding up with the corona virus situation? I am socially distancing myself especially since school in my county has been suspended for four weeks! I am able to work from home and also keep an eye on my son too. So for the next four weeks I'm going makeup free, braless, cooking all meals and putting my hair in a couple of plaits under a scarf and not leave the house. Keep safe everyone.
That sounds like my country with the schools. Where are you from?