Relaxed Hair Thread

LushLox

Yesterday my hair felt fine, manageable, soft etc. Today my hair feels like a jungle, like the roots have noticeably increased in density or something. It's so strange how that happens overnight like that. Anyway, I've got my Olaplex No 3 in, and will proceed to a full wash and DC now, which will help immensely.

LushLox

Do any of you guys, when you shampoo, not bother to DC? I've only ever done that once and that was purely by accident as I didn't have conditioner where I was, thankfully I had leave in though.

I always follow up with a DC at least 30 minutes but mostly an hour. Today I'll do a 30 minute protein and 30 minute DC.

MzSwift

Do any of you guys, when you shampoo, not bother to DC? I've only ever done that once and that was purely by accident as I didn't have conditioner where I was, thankfully I had leave in though.

I always follow up with a DC at least 30 minutes but mostly an hour. Today I'll do a 30 minute protein and 30 minute DC.
I do when I'm getting ready to straighten my hair. For some reason, it feels like the DC leaves a residue on my hair that interferes w my press.

But, I recently watched some really good natural silk press videos and the stylist washes out the DC w a moisturizing poo by adding the poo to the DC right before rinsing it out. I think I'm gonna try that. I'll DC as usual with heat and then right before rinsing it out, I'll slather on a moisturizing poo and then rinse.

I've also skipped DCing a few times when I had to wash my hair for braids bc the person doing it wanted it on freshly washed hair.

LushLox

I do when I'm getting ready to straighten my hair. For some reason, it feels like the DC leaves a residue on my hair that interferes w my press.

But, I recently watched some really good natural silk press videos and the stylist washes out the DC w a moisturizing poo by adding the poo to the DC right before rinsing it out. I think I'm gonna try that. I'll DC as usual with heat and then right before rinsing it out, I'll slather on a moisturizing poo and then rinse.

I've also skipped DCing a few times when I had to wash my hair for braids bc the person doing it wanted it on freshly washed hair.

That's really interesting. When I think about it, that time that I didn't use conditioner it was for my brother's wedding, I was panicking because I forgot to bring it and I thought that I would mess up my hairstyle. In the end I shrugged it off, and proceeded to style my hair anyway. In the end it was the bounciest, shiniest and one of the best roller sets that I've done, and I'm not too bad at them tbh.

So either shampooing out the DC or not using one at all may be a thing to try now and again. :scratchchin: But only if I really feel the style would benefit from it.

MzSwift

Hello ladies newbie when it comes to healthy and relaxed. What is your wash routine like 1x a week or 2 x week or something? I was set to relax today but felt not too as I didn’t feel I had enough new growth and a bit of breakage. I’m going to wait til Christmas Day lol. Tia
I honestly think you can't go wrong w a basic weekly wash and DC. Doing it that often helps to build and maintain consistency. Sometimes, the longer you push off something in a regi, it becomes easier to just keep pushing it back.

It's how I stayed on top of my hair. Hair day was Sunday and I did all of that to get ready for the work week. If I was in wigs, I would wash/DC in the cornrows and just redo them every few weeks or so, taking them down and rebraiding them one by one. The only time I didn't do it is when I rocked braid or twist extensions.

HTH! :)

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
I honestly think you can't go wrong w a basic weekly wash and DC. Doing it that often helps to build and maintain consistency. Sometimes, the longer you push off something in a regi, it becomes easier to just keep pushing it back.

It's how I stayed on top of my hair. Hair day was Sunday and I did all of that to get ready for the work week. If I was in wigs, I would wash/DC in the cornrows and just redo them every few weeks or so, taking them down and rebraiding them one by one. The only time I didn't do it is when I rocked braid or twist extensions.

HTH! :)
This is very helpful. Sunday is always been wash day but earlier this yr I added Wednesday as a mid week wash and just wondered if that was being too much esp since retention is the name of the game.

MzSwift

This is very helpful. Sunday is always been wash day but earlier this yr I added Wednesday as a mid week wash and just wondered if that was being too much esp since retention is the name of the game.

No ma'am, I don't think that's too much at all!

I actually used to wet my hair daily. Some days I'd cleanse/cowash but most days, I just wet it in the shower and then slather on leave in condish and be done.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

How you finding stylists doing your touch up now, I guess you're happy with them?

I would love to go to a stylist, because the touch is such a chore sometimes. It's just I have zero trust and confidence in finding someone decent.
@LushLox
That's all I am going to her for. I was questioning my "skills" and thought it best to allow a "Professional" *cough cough* to handle this:look:

LushLox

@LushLox
That's all I am going to her for. I was questioning my "skills" and thought it best to allow a "Professional" *cough cough* to handle this:look:

I think if you're relaxing virgin hair (even though you have lots of experience of self relaxing) I think it's probably a good idea to get it done by a professional. Once you get your confidence back then perhaps gradually do them yourself again - well if you want to of course! lol

MzSwift

Has anyone done Aphogee 2 step on just their ends? I was planning to do a treatment every 6 weeks, but I’m also stretching and wouldn’t want that much protein on my new growth.

Hmm, makes perfect sense to me! I've never tried that with a heavy protein tx but there are plenty of ladies who have different regis for different areas of our hair, so it seems like it's worth a try.

The only issue I see is that it's such a hard protein tx. Have you used 2-Step before? Does your hair like it? If your hair fares well with it, sounds like something good to do every 1-3 months. If it's too strong, maybe you could use the same technique weekly or biweekly with a lighter protein tx?

Theresamonet

Hmm, makes perfect sense to me! I've never tried that with a heavy protein tx but there are plenty of ladies who have different regis for different areas of our hair, so it seems like it's worth a try.

The only issue I see is that it's such a hard protein tx. Have you used 2-Step before? Does your hair like it? If your hair fares well with it, sounds like something good to do every 1-3 months. If it's too strong, maybe you could use the same technique weekly or biweekly with a lighter protein tx?

I’ve used the 2-step for many years, even as a natural, and my hair likes it. But I’ve never done it on a consistent schedule. I’m pretty sure every 6 weeks would be too much for my new growth, but may be just right for my relaxed ends. I guess I’ll try it.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I don't think I'm getting to my hair anytime soon. I've been so freaking tired not just physically, but emotionally. I do my best to keep it clean and moisturized, but this has been the most hands off I've ever been, I think. I've even fallen off keeping records. On the plus side, I think I'll come out the other end with some decent growth, hopefully lol.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
I don't think I'm getting to my hair anytime soon. I've been so freaking tired not just physically, but emotionally. I do my best to keep it clean and moisturized, but this has been the most hands off I've ever been, I think. I've even fallen off keeping records. On the plus side, I think I'll come out the other end with some decent growth, hopefully lol.
I have missed you. Hope your good collectively.

MzSwift

:bighug:
Take all of the time you need to feel better.
Braided up under wigs is a great way to KISS!

LushLox

I think we've all been there. Like MzSwift says if you can wig it for a while I'm sure that will help.

Take care of you
:kiss:

sunnieb

Hello ladies newbie when it comes to healthy and relaxed. What is your wash routine like 1x a week or 2 x week or something? I was set to relax today but felt not too as I didn’t feel I had enough new growth and a bit of breakage. I’m going to wait til Christmas Day lol. Tia
Depends on how you define "wash". :)

My hair loves water, so I give it to her like this:

Sunday - Honey/EVOO dc
Monday - Cowash
Tuesday - Shampoo/dc (protein dc every 3 weeks)
Wednesday - Off day
Thursday - Cowash
Friday - Off day
Saturday - Cowash

I only use shampoo once a week, but I'm kind of "washing" my hair five times a week. :yep:

I've been meaning to post my hair routine, so thanks for the question!