Relaxed Hair Thread

alove15

You've already got a head start, I believe, bc you cut yours into a bob, right?

I grew mine out by staying mainly in low manipulation PSs like cornrows, braided pigtails and minitwists/minibraids with no added hair to minimize stress where the two textures met. Of course, it's harder to tell the difference between textures when the hair is straightened so I straightened once a month or alternated between minitwists for one month and then straightened for a month. I did that for about 1-1.5 yr.

This is one of the clearest examples of the texture difference I have from my transition from bonelaxed to texlaxed.

View attachment 488897

My hair is just too fine to rock it bonelaxed. I look at this picture often to remind myself why I don't bonelax.
That bonelaxed portion of the braid is the SAME LENGTH as the texlaxed portion of the braid. With my hair down and straightened, it looked healthy and long. I couldn't tell. But once I did my braided pigtail PS, the difference was astounding!

I ended up chopping off the bonelaxed ends a year later. Now, I'm of the mind that I shouldn't have chopped and if I find myself in the same situation, I wouldn't. They weren't hindering me in any way, they gave me the extra length to do the quick PSs a new mom needed like a high cinnabun and they provided protection for my true texlaxed ends.
Yup, starting with a bob. Thank you for this visual!! The thickness is exactly what I’m going for. And I see your point about holding off on cutting. I’m not as patient as I’d like :drunk:

LushLox

I think I may go back to roller setting. I used to do it every week and had such great retention.

Did a really nice rollerset yesterday. It’s making me love setting again. I might at least do it for the spring summer and see if I can retain the enthusiasm for it lol.

Attachments

• 46692E44-3603-4383-9B8F-97AA7B5534FF.jpeg
    46692E44-3603-4383-9B8F-97AA7B5534FF.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

MzSwift

I think I may go back to roller setting. I used to do it every week and had such great retention.

Did a really nice rollerset yesterday. It’s making love setting again. I might at least do it for the spring summer and see if I can retain the enthusiasm for it lol.
Ma'am, you are the rollersetting queen!! Your rollersets are so beautiful! :love:
I didn't realize that you had ever stopped. Had I known, I would've hounded you to stick with them. lol
Let that luscious hair be your motivation to keep it up! :gorgeous:

MzSwift

My hair is feeling more like itself these days. I've been incorporating more moisture-boosting practices and using Ayurvedic mixes for almost every part of my routine. I think I can finish this huge tub of Affirm fiberguard. I realized that I hated it bc it seems protein-heavy. I believe it's supposed to infuse protein or leave protein in the hair. I'm used to the Motions relaxer which incorporates oil into the relaxer and leaves my hair feeling silkier, more moisturized. Now that I understand, I feel confident enough now to finish that tub and then jump back to my Motions. I might relax in June and then stretch all of the way to Nov/Dec for my EOTY. With my hair being this short, I can't stretch as long as I usually do.

I just added cayenne pepper oil to my Bhringaraj scalp oil. I'm going to add sulfur back into the mix too. I hate the smell of the stuff but it seems to boost the other ingredients that I use already. I'm also using it as an infused oil this time instead of just pouring the powder into my applicator bottle. I hope that I can inspire myself with good EOTY progress. Feeling a bit discouraged w my hair length right now. This is long for the pre-hair board me, but very, VERY short for the hair board me. Feeling pretty bald right now. But I'm sticking with no progress pix until EOTY. And I'm briefly encouraged when I do pull tests while transitioning between styles.

Just cornrowed my hair but I'm probably not gonna wig like I should. I will water rinse or use my Shikakai-lemon-peppermint cleanser every other day, apply my new scalp oil and rub in my Cassia-Amla-Hibiscus condish for daily use. Cover w/my mens satin skull cap and then either bandana or wig it.

FriscoGirl

Did a really nice rollerset yesterday. It’s making me love setting again. I might at least do it for the spring summer and see if I can retain the enthusiasm for it lol.
Your roller set is absolutely beautiful. I've been seeing a hair stylist who does not roller set well, and my hair is paying the price :sad:
Can you share the products you used and roller size?

LushLox

Your roller set is absolutely beautiful. I've been seeing a hair stylist who does not roller set well, and my hair is paying the price :sad:
Can you share the products you used and roller size?

Thank you, I have a lot of years of experience so I can literally do it with my eyes closed at this point. I used 1.75 inch (purple), 2 inch (grey) and the red ones.

I used Virtue Purifying Leave In, and Keracare Foam wrap. It's not really about the product though imo, I think you could use any good leave in and foam wrap, the secret is to be light with the product, comb through and distribute the product evenly. Don't be heavy handed, if you're too heavy with the product then the curls either don't set properly or the curls just drop very quickly.

Other tips
Hair needs to be sopping wet
Not too much hair on the roller, too much hair means the hair doesn't dry properly
Use a wide tooth comb to properly detangle first then go through again with a fine tooth comb for each section - need to be very gentle here!
Stay under the dryer for a decent amount of time, personally I need longer than an hour!

MzSwift

MT!! That's the staple I've been leaving out of my notes! I add my scalp oil to it 60/40, MT/oil, and it's easier to apply. It also does a good job of masking the herbal (or sulfur) smell. It is what gives me the tingles/crawlies feeling and I know the growth aid is working. But I think it's more than just a growth aid for me. MT + Ayurveda combo greatly improves the condition of my hair!

I did my cornrows on Fri and I already have to redo them a week later. And it's growth, not loosening or slippage. I feel the waves/bumps of new growth. I usually don't have a lot of new growth a month after my relaxer. Glad I didn't sew down a wig like I had planned. I need to have access to my scalp. Still debating throwing in a crochet style or sewing on a weave and wet bunning with it. The weave option allows me to wet my hair more often, which it loves.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
MT!! That's the staple I've been leaving out of my notes! I add my scalp oil to it 60/40, MT/oil, and it's easier to apply. It also does a good job of masking the herbal (or sulfur) smell. It is what gives me the tingles/crawlies feeling and I know the growth aid is working. But I think it's more than just a growth aid for me. MT + Ayurveda combo greatly improves the condition of my hair!

I did my cornrows on Fri and I already have to redo them a week later. And it's growth, not loosening or slippage. I feel the waves/bumps of new growth. I usually don't have a lot of new growth a month after my relaxer. Glad I didn't sew down a wig like I had planned. I need to have access to my scalp. Still debating throwing in a crochet style or sewing on a weave and wet bunning with it. The weave option allows me to wet my hair more often, which it loves.
What's MT Swifty?

LushLox

@LushLox
Gurl.....Your Hair looks Amazing! :love:

Thanks girl. :blush:

Did another set on Wednesday, hair turned out great.

I‘ll do one more set next week but after that I’m going to air dry until I do my next touch up.

As an aside I love using Mizani’s Strength Fusion any time I use heat, well after I’ve used the heat. I apply it and set my hair under my turban, hair just feels restored the next day.

Last edited:

sunnieb

@LushLox I just got back into rollersetting earlier this year. It is so addictive because the results make the effort worth it. I got compliments left and right! I'm back to bunning daily now, but when I do wear my hair out again, I'll rollerset it. Love your tips. Especially about staying under the dryer for the right amount of time. You can't rush a good rollerset. I usually would do an hour under the dryer, then another 2-3 hours letting it air dry.

@MzSwift I'm officially old school! I knew immediately what MT stood for! LOL!

Wanted to share a new cowash conditioner I tried that had amazing results and excellent slip. Jojoba Oil & Lavender Curls Conditioner is now a new staple in my cowash conditioner collection. I found it at CVS a few weeks ago and just tried it last week. When I was airdrying, my hair felt extra soft and conditioned. Almost as if I'd done a deep conditioner. If you can find it, try it!

1683508621713.png

MzSwift

I've been alternating using straight MT on my scalp and using an MT/Ayurvedic/Cayenne-sulfur oil mix. There's even Fenugreek and Clove buds in there. I think I'm experiencing growth from this process. Alternating the oil is helping me to not have an oily scalp all of the time.

I've been GHEing 3-5 nights a week and bun baggying almost every night/day. I've been in cornrows for 3 weeks and I'm loving having easy access to my scalp and the freedom to water rinse or cleanse my hair often. Without the install/takedown time commitment that mini twists demand.

I think I will likely end up relaxing in June, between 12-15 weeks. That's really early for me but I feel like with my hair so short, I need to deal with less new growth right now. But my hair won't stay loose for long bc I plan to go right back into cornrows the week after my relaxer. KISSing my way back to MBL and beyond.

LushLox

I'm going into air drying mode shortly but before I do, next wash I'm going to apply my usual leave ins on my damp hair but this time I'm going set my hair into a bun then add some foam wrap, smooth it down with a boar bristle brush, then sit under the dryer. I'm hoping the foam wrap will enable my hair to dry smoothly. Will see how it works.

MzSwift

I'm going into air drying mode shortly but before I do, next wash I'm going to apply my usual leave ins on my damp hair but this time I'm going set my hair into a bun then add some foam wrap, smooth it down with a boar bristle brush, then sit under the dryer. I'm hoping the foam wrap will enable my hair to dry smoothly. Will see how it works.

I hope it turns out! I'm sure it'll be lovely though bc you've been up on your hair game.

I learned from a long haired lady on here, years ago, to dry in one single bantu knot. She's changed her name a few times so I can't remember it but it always resulted in a really pretty wavy/curly style when she let it down. I used to do that on loose hair and in my mini twists/braids.

There was also a relaxed lady who used to post her heatless curls styles on here and on YT. One of the styles, she used to do was to dry in multiple bantu knots. I used her techniques a lot when I was trying to be cute during my hair backsliding days. :giggle: I got very pretty curls and my roots were stretched. I can't remember her name either but her hair was always so pretty, thick and healthy looking. I admired her hair even when I was natural. I used to see her photos all over the internet whenever I searched for relaxed hair but she's like a ghost now.

ETA: Her name was Lauren Mechelle!

1683908466791.png 1683908489507.png

Adding more pix:

1683912775435.png 1683912991762.png 1683913096323.png

Attachments

• 1683913023186.png
    1683913023186.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

MzSwift

It's so weird sometimes reading through the comments on YT videos of pretty relaxed hair and find multiple comments that say something like:

"Just imagine how much prettier it would be if you were natural/you didn't use chemicals..."

And I'm like:

Why can't she just enjoy her hair the way SHE wants to??

LushLox

I hope it turns out! I'm sure it'll be lovely though bc you've been up on your hair game.

I learned from a long haired lady on here, years ago, to dry in one single bantu knot. She's changed her name a few times so I can't remember it but it always resulted in a really pretty wavy/curly style when she let it down. I used to do that on loose hair and in my mini twists/braids.

There was also a relaxed lady who used to post her heatless curls styles on here and on YT. One of the styles, she used to do was to dry in multiple bantu knots. I used her techniques a lot when I was trying to be cute during my hair backsliding days. :giggle: I got very pretty curls and my roots were stretched. I can't remember her name either but her hair was always so pretty, thick and healthy looking. I admired her hair even when I was natural. I used to see her photos all over the internet whenever I searched for relaxed hair but she's like a ghost now.

ETA: Her name was Lauren Mechelle!

View attachment 489409 View attachment 489411

Adding more pix:

View attachment 489413 View attachment 489417 View attachment 489421

Yes her hair is stunning, what's her YT account Really gorgeous thick hair.

LushLox

@MzSwift
I recently told "a friend" I re-relaxed and she acted like I had committed mass murder:jail:...:perplexed:

The things she said, we've heard them all before and not really worth repeating, but I wanted to tell her to Shut the :censored: Up

You have to live for yourself and not others. You gave it ago and now you've changed your mind, it's allowed!

People can be very annoying.

MzSwift

Yes her hair is stunning, what's her YT account Really gorgeous thick hair.

That's the thing, I think she's scrubbed her social media presence bc I had a really hard time finding those photos of her. Google had nothing so I found a lot of her photos on Yahoo images. And when I tried to go to her old YT page, there's nothing but one video of bunnies on there.

It's too bad really bc she was someone who did very little PSing and had gorgeous hair! She was diligent about DCing and most of her styles were heatless. I also think she rarely stretched her relaxers very long so her hair stayed camera ready. I honestly think since most of her styles involved her ends being curled up/under, that it was protecting her from a lot of end damage.

HealthyHair2020

Hey guys! I need some help. My aunt has her hair falling out due to some bad water where she lives (Middle East). Any product recommendations that would help her out, especially shampoos and bond builders? She has relaxed hair.

MzSwift

Hey guys! I need some help. My aunt has her hair falling out due to some bad water where she lives (Middle East). Any product recommendations that would help her out, especially shampoos and bond builders? She has relaxed hair.

Lots of ladies swear by Olaplex and also, Aphogee lines for relaxed hair.
Is she able to install a showerhead water filter? That's a very cheap and easy help.
Also, use only bottled water in any hair concoctions (for instance, a daily moisturizing spray bottle with water+condish+a bit of oil) or conditioning mixes.
She could also cut down on how frequently she washes or exposes her hair to the hard water. Some ladies are finding success just washing every 2 weeks instead of more often.

GL to her!

HealthyHair2020

Lots of ladies swear by Olaplex and also, Aphogee lines for relaxed hair.
Is she able to install a showerhead water filter? That's a very cheap and easy help.
Also, use only bottled water in any hair concoctions (for instance, a daily moisturizing spray bottle with water+condish+a bit of oil) or conditioning mixes.
She could also cut down on how frequently she washes or exposes her hair to the hard water. Some ladies are finding success just washing every 2 weeks instead of more often.

GL to her!
I think she does have a shower head filter but I will tell her about the bottled water. Thanks for the product recommendations as well.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@HealthyHair2020
I'd also suggest the Bond Builders - there are several out there including Olaplex, Redken, Curlsmith and a few others. Even Sally has their own version as well as some of the Drug Store Brands.

Make sure all products are sufficiently washed out. That's terrible about the water. Great Suggestion about a good Filter and maybe also boiling it too.

Coffee and Tea Rinsing

LushLox

This worked amazingly well; it looks like I flat ironed it. It didn't even take that long perhaps 30-45 minutes. The only difference is I didn't put my hair in a bun, I pony tailed it and pinned the ends up so that they could get dry. There was a smidge of dampness still in the middle and the densest part of my hair but it was fine. This is a handy way do a nice a quick wash day sans blow dryer and flat iron and should last me right through to my next wash day.

Last edited: