Relaxed Hair Thread

lustrous

Re: Relaxed Hair THREAD!!

I finally relaxed after 14 weeks post. From now on I will be relaxing at 12 weeks. I can't do the longer stretches anymore because the knots and tangles seem to do more harm than good :(

On a side note for you no-lye box kit users: does anyone actually save the other half for the next application?? I always use the entire thing per relaxer. I neber bother to measure it and save the rest for 3 months. Is that bad :S

Hey Allicat, i've never set aside any relaxer and in i've yet to have any issues with it. My hair is growing right along. If it isn't broken, dont fix it :yep: HTH

toni44

Only right after washing. I'm able to easily detangle without losing alot of hair. It's the only way I can get through the last few weeks of my stretch.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

What regular conditioner do you use , ??

yora88

I get my hair washed and deep conditioned once every two weeks.

*I deep condition my hair the night before going to the salon*

I get my hair relaxed and trimmed every 6 weeks.

Other than that, I moisturize my hair with Profectiv growth lotion and spray my hair with Cream of Nature Argan spray. At night I either wrap my hair or my boyfriend sets my hair on rollers.

ellehair

Ladies I need a new leave in.

These are products I have tried:

Giovanni direct: it just sat on my hair and had clumps. Okay on wet hair. BAD idea on dry hair.

Profectiv (the yellow one): it was too oily/heavy and the smell... *retch*, (the pink one, daily strengthener): Nice smell, great on wet hair but hair dries up, well, DRY! Too much protein?

Silken Child: Okay for a while then they changed the formula... the new one smells weird. It's ok for the first few weeks after a retouch but not so great post week 4.

S-Curl: Okay in the summer, okay for roots 8 weeks post but I'm stuck with wet hair...I guess it's the glycerin. Tried it in the winter... BAD idea.

HE LTR: On the fence, sometimes it feels like it's just sitting on my hair. It's OK for wet hair but meh for dry hair... except my edges. It lays it down something good!

Cantu: the bottle: too oily, the tub: left my hair stiff when dry.

Neutrogena Silk-Touch, this one I use by default since everything else I've tried has failed. OK on wet hair, kinda okay on dry hair till a few hours after, it makes my hair poof up. Sometimes this is what I want... sometimes not!

Another default: Mane n Tail conditioner. This is okay and I mix it with the NTM often BUT I want a REAL leave-in not regular condish substituted as a leave-in.

Basically my Texlaxed 4z hair needs something that works on wet AND dry hair, freshly texlaxed and stretch-time hair, okay for the seasons, smells good and does not sit on my hair (too oily or too 'coney'). SIGH...

I feel like I just put out an ad for a man. Is a sister asking for too much from a leave-in?

Grace have you tried lacio lacio?? also i just bought nexus luxe moisturizing leave in.the jury is still outon that.

ellehair

dlisha - i used to use a mix of glovers sulfer with mt and jbco. i dont think i used it long enough to see results,may have to go back to this>

ellehair

so ladies i invested in the SE megasilk deep condish, any reviews on this?? I also went back to my old faithful alter ego garlic and my hair felt so good yesterday after i sat with my heating cap for 20 mins

baglady215

^^^ I picked up a sample of the Megasilk at Sally's today. Who knows when I'll get to it though...

toni44

Ladies I want to try a Lye relaxer, never used one , does anybody know if Affirm is a good ? and if not please suggest one better.....im looking for something that does not dry out my hair.

Currently using Profectiv no-lye

PDub

No more long stretches for me! I relaxed on Monday at 16 weeks post. I lost alot of hair through breakage. Sigh.........Well, I'm going to make sure this setback is a set up for moving forward!! Even though I didn't make it to APL this go around, I'm definitely a full healthy SL!! From now on, I'm relaxing at 12 weeks max!!!

grow

Anyone in here using a sublimed sulfur mix? :)

D.Lisha, hi i've used a sublimed sulfur mix!:yep:

i haven't used it most recently, but i do like it and it does work!:yep:

i just mixed about a tsp of sublimed sulfur into 8 oz. of my favourite hair oil. i let mine sit for a while to completely mix and blend, then put it in an applicator bottle.

hth, keep us posted on how it works out for you!:yep:

hhj ladies!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Ahhhhhh, it's nice to see a relaxed thread amongst all the natural threads. Quite refreshing! :grin:

One of the biggest reasons why I won't renew is because of the lack of diversity. I feel like the naturals have taken over and there's very little info I get from here anymore.

Anywho, I'm glad you started this thread.

I keep a very simple reggie:

*Wash & condition once or twice a week with HE LTR.
*Rollerset after every wash and dry under the Pibbs.
*If I decide to wash only once a week I bun 4 out of 7 days a week.
*Relax every other month with Mizani Butter Blends for Fine Color Treated Hair.
*I moisturize and seal daily with a spritz water bottle mixed with a little HE HH. Seal with EVOO.
*Trim every 4 to 6 months.

I'm 4a&b with just beyond APL hair.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

racheljay1985

My regimen is quite simple and I can tell it's actually working.

I shampoo and condition in the shower twice a week.
I then Deep condition it with a self heating cap for 20 min using cholesterol. I then rinse and spray Aussie's Leave in conditioner and either blow dry, or air dry my hair.
I then use mizani's light moisturizing cream, and jojoba oil to seal in the moisture. Sometimes I'll bag my ends with the cholesterol deep conditioning cream for 20 min, once a week, rinse, and seal it with the mizani light moisturizing cream, and jojoba oil. I sometimes wrap my hair in a silk scarf, if I'm too lazy I always sleep on my satin pillow case.

I've done this for about 2 weeks now (since I got my relaxer from a 21 week stretch) and it's never looked, or felt better. I no longer have a crazy, flaky dry scalp, and it just looks really healthy.

Last edited:

krissyprissy

Ladies I want to try a Lye relaxer, never used one , does anybody know if Affirm is a good ? and if not please suggest one better.....im looking for something that does not dry out my hair.

Currently using Profectiv no-lye

I use Fiberguard by Avlon because its milder than most I have tried since its formulated for color treated and damaged hair. Affirm is too harsh for me. Mizani is good too, my friend who is BSL swears by it.

krissyprissy

Ahhhhhh, it's nice to see a relaxed thread amongst all the natural threads. Quite refreshing! :grin:

One of the biggest reasons why I won't renew is because of the lack of diversity. I feel like the naturals have taken over and there's very little info I get from here anymore.

Anywho, I'm glad you started this thread.

Yeah, I also felt that us relaxed heads are the minority now but I still learned alot from the naturals such trying out natural products. Right now I'm loving Shea Moisture poo and Qhemet Biologics:D I have plans to try more natural lines in the future. My best friend is newly natural and give her tips from this site too.

Curlybeauty

I'm seeing more little pieces of hair ie. breakage.

Most hairs are shed, cause I check :look: but what can I do to stop these little hairs?

GraceV

Yeah, I also felt that us relaxed heads are the minority now but I still learned alot from the naturals such trying out natural products. Right now I'm loving Shea Moisture poo and Qhemet Biologics:D I have plans to try more natural lines in the future. My best friend is newly natural and give her tips from this site too.

ITA. I think this is especially true for the relaxed heads who are texlaxed. Sometimes I find I have to treat my hair like it's natural (toward the end of my stretch for example) or I would have a lot of trouble managing the hair.

Also, many of the natural hair concoctions can be tweaked for relaxed hair. AlliCat suggested I Kimmaytube my leave-ins that were not acting right. I started experimenting with this yesterday and so far my hair seems to be okay with the concoction.

afjhnsn

Most hairs are shed, cause I check :look: but what can I do to stop these little hairs?

bump
I've heard alter ego deep condish is good, but IDK if it would be good for this kind of breakage. Is it only for reducing the amount of shed hairs?

baglady215

Moisturizing DCs
Daily Moisturizing/Sealing
GVP Anti-Snap (or the real thing by Redken)

That's what has helped me :yep:

Curlybeauty

Ive heard great things about anti-snap by redken. I might just have to try it.

I clarified my hair after weeks of roller setting my hair with lots of products to achieve the look I desire. DC'ed overnight with soy oyl by elasta qp and my hair has never felt better.

I rinsed the DC out, applied some S-curl first, ORS Hair lotion stuff, and then Castor oil focused on the ends. Combed it out, pulled back and brushed into a ponytail. Twisted the ponytail hair into medium sized twists and made a bun with them. Love this style!!

I needed a break from roller setting. My hair is done for the next week I hope. Might co-wash a couple times to refresh.

Love this thread!

ladylina

relaxed head checking in
I dont post as much as I used too.
4a/b I wash my hair once a week in the winter, in the summer everyother day is a CW. I love the summer.
I am MBL
My staples are:
Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Coconut Oil
EVOO
Kenra MC
Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
Joico KPAK
Oh, I also DC with every Wash!!
Relax every 12-16 weeks.

sapphire74

I am relaxed 4b I think. My current length is NL. I tried transitioning but it did not work for me so I relaxed after 8 months. Now I need to go through my products and come up with a new reggie. I hope to be APL by the end of the summer! Does that sound possible?

I get relaxed at the salon with Mizani Butter Blend. I hope to stretch it 6-8wks. I want to only rely on my stylist for my relaxer, I want to become a DYIer! Any tips, advice etc, would be great appreciated! HHG ladies!

Last edited:

toni44

I am relaxed 4b I think. My current length is NL. I tried transitioning but it did not work for me so I relaxed after 8 months. Now I need to go through my products and come up with a new reggie. I hope to be APL by the end of the summer! Does that sound possible?

I get relaxed at the salon with Mizani Butter Blend. I hope to stretch it 6-8wks. I want to only rely on my stylist for my relaxer, I want to become a DYIer! Any tips, advice etc, would be great appreciated! HHG ladies!

Hey , I know most people will not agree. but my hair has only grown while I was self relaxing. I always mix in natural almond oil, Olive oil or grapeseed oil, , to weaken the relaxer and allow more time for application. After application, rinse out relaxer then apply shampoo ( do not lather or pull hair ( profectiv neutralising mouse is good for this as no lathering is required ) and rinse then deep condition with a protien conditioner. then continue with the neutralising process with another shampoo.

TLC1020

Relaxed 4b checking in :grin:

I usually relax 12 weeks
Shampoo and deep condition once a week
bun 7 days a week
moisturize daily

Right now my hair is short and sexy from a set back, I'm wearing braids and will be 30 weeks post this week. Can't wait to get my hair back to APL making my way to BSL...:spinning:

back2relaxed

Ive heard great things about anti-snap by redken. I might just have to try it.

I clarified my hair after weeks of roller setting my hair with lots of products to achieve the look I desire. DC'ed overnight with soy oyl by elasta qp and my hair has never felt better.

I rinsed the DC out, applied some S-curl first, ORS Hair lotion stuff, and then Castor oil focused on the ends. Combed it out, pulled back and brushed into a ponytail. Twisted the ponytail hair into medium sized twists and made a bun with them. Love this style!!

I needed a break from roller setting. My hair is done for the next week I hope. Might co-wash a couple times to refresh.

Love this thread!

Curlybeauty: How do you like the Elasta QP Soy Oyl? Once I use up my current stash of Keracare, I'm going to try using the entire line of Elasta QP. I have several products, but I like to use one line, for some reason.

Curlybeauty

Curlybeauty: How do you like the Elasta QP Soy Oyl? Once I use up my current stash of Keracare, I'm going to try using the entire line of Elasta QP. I have several products, but I like to use one line, for some reason.

I like it a lot!!

I don't feel like my hair is coated like other women have complained about. It smells yummy, and it does the job w/ heat in 30 mins. I have slept in it out of pure laziness on occasion.

Can't say that I will get it again, simply because I have so many other conditioners that I want to try, but if online shopping was banned, this would be my staple :yep:

yardgirl

I have a very simple regimen. It's not set in stone, sometimes I switch it up.

I use net weaves so I can stretch my relaxers to 11-13 weeks because I'm a slow grower and I'm fine-haired. What I like to do is relax, weave 2 weeks later, keep it in for about 8 weeks and then relax 2 weeks after I take it down.

I wash my hair once a week when it's out of a weave. I shampoo with Keracare Hydrating Detangling Sulfate Free Shampoo. Sometimes I'll use ORS Creamy Aloe if I think I need to clarify. I always do a light protein treatment with Aphogee 2 Minute or Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla and follow with regular silicon mix or ORS Replenishing.

For a leave in I use Chi Silk Infusion or Lacio Lacio and on rare occasions I'll reach for my Keracare Foam Wrap/Set Lotion. Sometimes I'll mix One n' Only Argan Oil with one of the other 3 leave-ins.

For my weave regimen I shampoo and DC my leaveout once a week then use Chi Silk Infusion before and after the leaveout dries (blow dry on cool) AND I spray on Beyond The Zone Turn up the heat flat iron spray before I flat iron with my beloved Sedu.

My weave DC is a mixture of a few of the products I mentioned. I do a one-step DC every 2 weeks on my entire head.

I keep trims to every other relaxer (Mizani BB is my favourite) and randomly use oils just cause I feel like. Usually it's Vatika or Jojoba.

Right now the only protective style I use other than weaves is a ponytail.