Relaxed Hair Thread

My hair has gotten to a point where it's getting moisturized but it is just sooooo weak it comes out in clumps, especially in the nape area. The nape is the most fine. I was shocked. One thing my hair never was, despite it all, was weak. I'm not really upset to lose so much hair because I'm kind of over my hair - permanently - as I'm about to shave it all off, and I know it's really a matter of needing protein. Hard protein even, if it doesn't stop.

The tangles are soooo bad (worse than when I was natural because... idk why. It might be that its so tangled from that isoplus, at least I'm hoping that's what caused the dreaded up pieces all throughout,and not my curls just happening to behave that way now). It's hard because I have very little time or energy to do my hair and when every step takes hours... you do the math. I still don't know the nature of my new texture really, but I do know that I'm going to transition to fully straight because I don't think half textured is working for me. My hair is just too spongy. By nature it'll always shrink and tangle once dry if I don't go fully straight, and I have to decrease the tangling by any means necessary. I definitely will need regular protein then.

My hair is so uneven and damaged from detangling and hairloss that I just wanna shave it and wear wigs and perm my new growth every few months to transition to healthy, even fully relaxed hair. It would work for me because I can't reach a hair braider right now. I need to get my (possibly alopecia related) scalp issues worked out too, so shorter hair would help me apply medicine more easily too if need be.

Have you tried protein treatment? Detangle your hair in stages, like don't do it all in one sitting.

I usually also rinse with conditioners (moisture/protein according to my hair) when I am doing prolonged detangles. It loosens the tangles and minimizes hair loss

PlanetCybertron

Just wanted to get a snapshot of my color. Green bits are from a faded indigo application about a year ago.
Second one is me just trying to show out lol

sunnieb

Haven't done too much to my hair for a while. I was recovering, so I cowashed mostly and just twisted it in a knot.

Feeling better now and hitting the reset button. Doing a dc now with Nexxus Keraphix. I think I'll go back to dcing twice a week like I did when I first joined LHCF.

I'm thankful to still have enough hair to make a bun. :toocool:

Looking forward to this new journey!

MzSwift

Slowly started taking out my twist extensions. They have been in 6 weeks, will be 7 weeks tomorrow. I've NEVER kept a PS in this long without redoing it. I only re-did 1/3 of the extensions after 2 weeks in but not all of them. Planning to at least wash, protein and DC.

I bought this protein tx by Vatika while buying products for my mom. I hope it can replace my beloved Motions CPR. I've given Joico K-pak 3 or 4 good years and I haven't been impressed.

MzSwift

My hair has gotten to a point where it's getting moisturized but it is just sooooo weak it comes out in clumps, especially in the nape area. The nape is the most fine. I was shocked. One thing my hair never was, despite it all, was weak. I'm not really upset to lose so much hair because I'm kind of over my hair - permanently - as I'm about to shave it all off, and I know it's really a matter of needing protein. Hard protein even, if it doesn't stop.

The tangles are soooo bad (worse than when I was natural because... idk why. It might be that its so tangled from that isoplus, at least I'm hoping that's what caused the dreaded up pieces all throughout,and not my curls just happening to behave that way now). It's hard because I have very little time or energy to do my hair and when every step takes hours... you do the math. I still don't know the nature of my new texture really, but I do know that I'm going to transition to fully straight because I don't think half textured is working for me. My hair is just too spongy. By nature it'll always shrink and tangle once dry if I don't go fully straight, and I have to decrease the tangling by any means necessary. I definitely will need regular protein then.

My hair is so uneven and damaged from detangling and hairloss that I just wanna shave it and wear wigs and perm my new growth every few months to transition to healthy, even fully relaxed hair. It would work for me because I can't reach a hair braider right now. I need to get my (possibly alopecia related) scalp issues worked out too, so shorter hair would help me apply medicine more easily too if need be.

So don't beat me up but hair coming out in clumps sounds like either that relaxer wasn't totally rinsed out of your hair or stress is doing a number on you. Please do either:

-DC for 20-30 mins with the condish, baking soda and amino acid tx mix

OR

-a prepoo (oil covered w/plastic cap or condish and oil covered w/plastic cap) for at least 20-30 minutes. Then pour on straight vineagar (white or ACV) and leave that in for another 10 minutes. Then rinse out the oil+vinegar in the shower and cowash with a no/low cone moisture cheapie (I like Suave Tropical Coconut) and leave a little of that in.

After you rinse out either tx, slick your hair back into a braided ponytail to dry with or without sealing first. Before bed just take out the ponytail holder but leave the braid intact. The next day or two just slick your hair back into the ponytail with your hands in the mornings. You can either pin the braid under for a bun or leave it loose. You can also cover it with a phony pony. No extra manipulation please! Give that a go and let me know how it turns out for your hair.

That is my CPR PS ponytail when I can't put my hair away but I need low manipulation. I either do one ponytail or two pigtails but that's it. I leave my hair alone for days at a time this way and I may cowash or just water rinse every 3-5 days or so. It usually looks like this:

View media item 130523
And if it's stress, I hope whatever it is passes soon. I don't believe in telling ppl what to do to de-stress because stress relief is very personal to me. I hope you can make time to do whatever it is that helps you feel better! ((BIG HUG))

Last edited:

sunnieb

@FadingDelilah I could've written your post word for word.

This stuff on my head is foreign to me. Even when I joined LHCF with dry, damaged hair it was thick and SL. AND all one length!

It's been 2 years of dealing with my hair growing in then breaking off. I can't even blame it on not knowing what to do. Shoo, I was on my way to MBL in 2017. I know how to grow some hair! :lol:

So my old ways aren't working and I'm going have to figure it out. I think my body is going through some changes and this hair is the result. Stress, medication, surgery, etc. I'm kind of over my hair too.

Not giving up just yet, but coming to grips with working with what I have now instead of trying to get back what I lost.

Stay tuned.......

FadingDelilah

@FadingDelilah I could've written your post word for word.

This stuff on my head is foreign to me. Even when I joined LHCF with dry, damaged hair it was thick and SL. AND all one length!

It's been 2 years of dealing with my hair growing in then breaking off. I can't even blame it on not knowing what to do. Shoo, I was on my way to MBL in 2017. I know how to grow some hair! :lol:

So my old ways aren't working and I'm going have to figure it out. I think my body is going through some changes and this hair is the result. Stress, medication, surgery, etc. I'm kind of over my hair too.

Not giving up just yet, but coming to grips with working with what I have now instead of trying to get back what I lost.

Stay tuned.......

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. But regarding your hair breaking, if you're doing all the same things as you were when it was on its way to MBL, it could very well be the medications and the surgery. Or it could be hormones, dietary changes, etc. I on the other hand.... I have no excuses lol. I just don't have the time. But I'm coming to grips with what will make me happy - the pros, the cons, and the eventual future. And I'm okay with it more every day. So there's hope. Thanks :rose::rose:

FadingDelilah

So don't beat me up but hair coming out in clumps sounds like either that relaxer wasn't totally rinsed out of your hair or stress is doing a number on you. Please do either:

-DC for 20-30 mins with the condish, baking soda and amino acid tx mix

OR

-a prepoo (oil covered w/plastic cap or condish and oil covered w/plastic cap) for at least 20-30 minutes. Then pour on straight vineagar (white or ACV) and leave that in for another 10 minutes. Then rinse out the oil+vinegar in the shower and cowash with a no/low cone moisture cheapie (I like Suave Tropical Coconut) and leave a little of that in.

After you rinse out either tx, slick your hair back into a braided ponytail to dry with or without sealing first. Before bed just take out the ponytail holder but leave the braid intact. The next day or two just slick your hair back into the ponytail with your hands in the mornings. You can either pin the braid under for a bun or leave it loose. You can also cover it with a phony pony. No extra manipulation please! Give that a go and let me know how it turns out for your hair.

That is my CPR PS ponytail when I can't put my hair away but I need low manipulation. I either do one ponytail or two pigtails but that's it. I leave my hair alone for days at a time this way and I may cowash or just water rinse every 3-5 days or so. It usually looks like this:

View media item 130523
And if it's stress, I hope whatever it is passes soon. I don't believe in telling ppl what to do to de-stress because stress relief is very personal to me. I hope you can make time to do whatever it is that helps you feel better! ((BIG HUG))

I cracked up at CPR ponytail. My hair has needed CPR for years. :lachen: :lachen:

So I did a modified version of this (my tub was slipping and sliding, LOL) and my hair wouldn't go into the pony because... idk. I'm apl. But it just wouldn't. Lol. So I put it in as few braided sections as possible. I didn't notice much breakage. :eek: I'm starting to think the "clumps" I was seeing, was mostly from my nape. That area has always been weaker and softer than the rest. And double processing it has it looking paper thin. Needs protein asap.

But I've decided, even after this fun little experiment, I'm shaving it. I know... you saw this coming when I did a corrective. *hides*
Anywho... :lachen: I think maybe one day I'll have healthy long-ish permed hair (my growth phase isn't very long). I'll get out of the shower and decide "I'm ready to start growing this out again." I'll use a regular relaxer instead of mild, so I don' t have to double process. And I'll do regular protein treatments and it'll be lavish. But not today. I have to get my alopecia sorted out anyways so maybe this will help make medicating my scalp easier??? We shall see. Thanks for always helping me. :hug2::cry3: I look forward to still reading this thread. When I shave it, I'll let you know.

sunnieb

I'm going back to paying extra attention to my ends before bed.

My bedtime moisture mix is layering ORS Carrot Oil, Neutrogena Triple Moisture, and Redken Extreme Length Sealer. I am not skimpy with product since I only cover my ends.

Woke up this morning with smooth ends and minimal breakage.

sunnieb

Also getting back on track with my vitamins. I'm all stocked up on Biotin, B-12, Vitamin D, and Iron.

My main doctor runs bloodwork on me 2x a year to make sure my levels are where they need to be. This should help improve my hair along with the cleaner eating I've been doing.

Relaxer Day Tomorrow! :yahoo:

MzSwift

I cracked up at CPR ponytail. My hair has needed CPR for years. :lachen: :lachen:

So I did a modified version of this (my tub was slipping and sliding, LOL) and my hair wouldn't go into the pony because... idk. I'm apl. But it just wouldn't. Lol. So I put it in as few braided sections as possible. I didn't notice much breakage. :eek: I'm starting to think the "clumps" I was seeing, was mostly from my nape. That area has always been weaker and softer than the rest. And double processing it has it looking paper thin. Needs protein asap.

But I've decided, even after this fun little experiment, I'm shaving it. I know... you saw this coming when I did a corrective. *hides*
Anywho... :lachen: I think maybe one day I'll have healthy long-ish permed hair (my growth phase isn't very long). I'll get out of the shower and decide "I'm ready to start growing this out again." I'll use a regular relaxer instead of mild, so I don' t have to double process. And I'll do regular protein treatments and it'll be lavish. But not today. I have to get my alopecia sorted out anyways so maybe this will help make medicating my scalp easier??? We shall see. Thanks for always helping me. :hug2::cry3: I look forward to still reading this thread. When I shave it, I'll let you know.

Aww, I totally get it. *raises hand* I used to shave my head every year for about 15 years. I loved it. I found it refreshing. I hope you get the hair break you need. I can't wait to hear about it! GL to you with your alopecia. We'll be here for support when you want it :)

MzSwift

What’s the threshold for how often you guys comb or brush your hair? What’s too much? What’s just enough? Or what’s too little?

Good questions!

I finger detangle 95% of the time. The only time I use a comb is when I'm getting ready to straighten my hair. I've found hair tools to be harmful for my fine strands. I used to follow Sera on Fotki and then YT when I first started my HHJ and I watched her and other long-haired naturals talk about treating your hair like fine silk when detangling/styling. I've found that to be true for me to retain.

I usually detangle as I'm changing styles instead of allowing the whole head to be loose at one time so that makes for easier detangling. It allows me to go a few weeks to a month without detangling. But my hair stays in PSs. If my hair is loose, I can only go a week or so with light detangling each night when I M&S.

Lymegreen

Ok I’m getting a quick weave on Wednesday. In preparation I got my hair braided at an African braid salon today. I have leave out ready to go.

I’m getting it done at a salon but the stylist reminded me when I told her I bought the hair online that she only does quick weave and not sew in. So I got my hair braided on my own just to be on the safe side.

this is my first quick weave but hopefully I’ll give my hair a rest for a month. If all goes well. I might repeat monthly until it gets too hot

PlanetCybertron

Good questions!

I finger detangle 95% of the time. The only time I use a comb is when I'm getting ready to straighten my hair. I've found hair tools to be harmful for my fine strands. I used to follow Sera on Fotki and then YT when I first started my HHJ and I watched her and other long-haired naturals talk about treating your hair like fine silk when detangling/styling. I've found that to be true for me to retain.

I usually detangle as I'm changing styles instead of allowing the whole head to be loose at one time so that makes for easier detangling. It allows me to go a few weeks to a month without detangling. But my hair stays in PSs. If my hair is loose, I can only go a week or so with light detangling each night when I M&S.

Thats very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry for replying so late. But I too have fine strands and I just cant detangle with tools that often. I’ll detangle once in the shower with a Wet brush 1-2 times a month.

Detangling out of the shower is an absolute no-no for me now.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Might be a few things attributing to my hair ball, but I listed them on my blog
But on the plus side my hair is still super thick (I air dried, you know your girl is all about that lazy life) lol. I was trying my wig on and I had to take my ponytail out (it’s parted down the middle and brushed to the side) to just braid my own hair and just put a little rubber band on the end. Then I put my wig cap on and put my wig on.