Relaxed Hair Thread

sweetiep

how's everyone holding up with the corona virus situation? I am socially distancing myself especially since school in my county has been suspended for four weeks! I am able to work from home and also keep an eye on my son too. So for the next four weeks I'm going makeup free, braless, cooking all meals and putting my hair in a couple of plaits under a scarf and not leave the house. Keep safe everyone.

sounds like a great plan! I work from home too so trying to remain socially distant. I keep craving a burger from this local spot but that’s another story. My hair is currently in horrible plaits from me not finishing my hair the other night. So will probably just co wash tonight and finish what I started. Stay safe everyone!

MzSwift

how's everyone holding up with the corona virus situation? I am socially distancing myself especially since school in my county has been suspended for four weeks! I am able to work from home and also keep an eye on my son too. So for the next four weeks I'm going makeup free, braless, cooking all meals and putting my hair in a couple of plaits under a scarf and not leave the house. Keep safe everyone.

Same to you, sis! I've finished my mini braids and I plan to keep them in for next few months at least

MzSwift

So I typically stretch and relax 2-3 times a year. As my hair is getting longer, I feel like it's tangling more and I'm using too much manipulation to prep my new growth for my new PS. I think I'm gonna try again to relax 3-4 times a year. So every 12-16 weeks (3-4 months).

I'm not a fast grower, which has allowed me to stretch for long periods, but I find that I'm growing tired of the extra time it takes to gently and patiently maneuver my new growth into the next style. And my length gets caught up in it sometimes.

I rarely wear my hair in an out style and when I do, I don't feel like fighting with it. That's why I texlaxed in the first place.

MzSwift

I remember when I first started using Motions relaxer over 20 years ago and there used to be a conditioner packet that was supposed to be applied post relaxer/ pre-neutralizer shampoo. My texlaxes were always so pretty then. I realized when I went back to Motions relaxers in 2014, that they no longer had steps or provided packets so I assumed it was a mid-step PROTEIN. So I was using CPR reconstructor and then other lite/medium proteins and my hair has not turned out the same. Sometimes, the mid-step protein would seem to make my results more textured. So I stopped doing them the last year or 1.5 years. I still do a protein tx after I neutralize.

I just saw this listing selling Motions relaxer and it lists the relaxing steps. I realized that it's acutally a mid-step MOISTURIZING conditioner that is applied before neutralizing. :eek::eek: Did anyone else know this??? I'm really excited to try this next time!!

These are the directions listed and the steps I used to follow. I'm giddy bc I believe this will be a game changer for me!!

https://www.clorebeauty.com/motions...straighten-classic-formula-hair-relaxer-15-oz

DIRECTIONS
Step 1 - Application & Relaxation: Apply protective creme to nape and skin area. Part hair into 4 sections. Wearing protective gloves, start application at the nape area by applying relaxer creme close to the scalp but not onto the scalp. Continue in thin sections, moving in the direction of the forehead. Upon reaching the forehead, repeat the procedure on the other half of the head, applying the relaxer to the hairline last. After application is complete, begin smoothing in the nape area where the relaxer was first applied. Smooth hair several strokes and continue to the next section in same pattern as the relaxer was applied. Repeat the procedure until the hair is relaxed.

(Warning: If patron has any discomfort or stinging sensations during the allocated time, rinse off the relaxer immediately.)

Step 2 - Rinse: When desired relaxation has been obtained, rinse hair thoroughly with a strong force of warm water until the hair is free of all traces of the relaxer.

Step 3 - Condition: Apply Motions® Moisture Plus™ Conditioner for 10 minutes and rinse.

Step 4 - Neutralize: Keep hair in straight form. Do not manipulate the hair during shampooing. Use Motions® Classic Neutralizing Shampoo. Shampoo twice, rinsing well after each. Blot the excess water from the hair.

MzSwift

Yay, TheTabbi1 is back!! And her relaxer results look great, as usual. I wish I could comb through my hair like she does. I think it's because I'm texlaxed and she bonelaxes.

Because of her, I recently purchased those clips and I don't know what took me so long! OMG. Bobby pins were starting to hurt my head for some reason. I've used those things since I was a child and for the last few years they've been giving me headaches. o_O

AND I'm sticking with crosswrapping. If she can do it with her long hair, then I definitely can.

Anyway, here's the update!

Missjaxon

I remember when I first started using Motions relaxer over 20 years ago and there used to be a conditioner packet that was supposed to be applied post relaxer/ pre-neutralizer shampoo. My texlaxes were always so pretty then. I realized when I went back to Motions relaxers in 2014, that they no longer had steps or provided packets so I assumed it was a mid-step PROTEIN. So I was using CPR reconstructor and then other lite/medium proteins and my hair has not turned out the same. Sometimes, the mid-step protein would seem to make my results more textured. So I stopped doing them the last year or 1.5 years. I still do a protein tx after I neutralize.

I just saw this listing selling Motions relaxer and it lists the relaxing steps. I realized that it's acutally a mid-step MOISTURIZING conditioner that is applied before neutralizing. :eek::eek: Did anyone else know this??? I'm really excited to try this next time!!

These are the directions listed and the steps I used to follow. I'm giddy bc I believe this will be a game changer for me!!

https://www.clorebeauty.com/motions...straighten-classic-formula-hair-relaxer-15-oz

DIRECTIONS
Step 1 - Application & Relaxation: Apply protective creme to nape and skin area. Part hair into 4 sections. Wearing protective gloves, start application at the nape area by applying relaxer creme close to the scalp but not onto the scalp. Continue in thin sections, moving in the direction of the forehead. Upon reaching the forehead, repeat the procedure on the other half of the head, applying the relaxer to the hairline last. After application is complete, begin smoothing in the nape area where the relaxer was first applied. Smooth hair several strokes and continue to the next section in same pattern as the relaxer was applied. Repeat the procedure until the hair is relaxed.

(Warning: If patron has any discomfort or stinging sensations during the allocated time, rinse off the relaxer immediately.)

Step 2 - Rinse: When desired relaxation has been obtained, rinse hair thoroughly with a strong force of warm water until the hair is free of all traces of the relaxer.

Step 3 - Condition: Apply Motions® Moisture Plus™ Conditioner for 10 minutes and rinse.

Step 4 - Neutralize: Keep hair in straight form. Do not manipulate the hair during shampooing. Use Motions® Classic Neutralizing Shampoo. Shampoo twice, rinsing well after each. Blot the excess water from the hair.

@MzSwift
Yes, I did know and loved this conditioner when I was relaxed. It was my favorite part of using Motions relaxer. I think I may still have a tub around here and I have been fully natural since 2012.

MzSwift

@MzSwift
Yes, I did know and loved this conditioner when I was relaxed. It was my favorite part of using Motions relaxer. I think I may still have a tub around here and I have been fully natural since 2012.

I'm still in shock! And I used to love that condish too.

We talk so much about mid-step protein on here. I'm sure there are ladies who do a mid-step moisture tx instead but I don't hear from them. I've had the Moisture Plus condish but I've been using it after my post-neutralizer protein tx. I'm excited to add it in mid-step. I always like to take advantage of opportunities to add moisture back into the hair!

Fotchygirl

Yay, TheTabbi1 is back!! And her relaxer results look great, as usual. I wish I could comb through my hair like she does. I think it's because I'm texlaxed and she bonelaxes.

Because of her, I recently purchased those clips and I don't know what took me so long! OMG. Bobby pins were starting to hurt my head for some reason. I've used those things since I was a child and for the last few years they've been giving me headaches. o_O

AND I'm sticking with crosswrapping. If she can do it with her long hair, then I definitely can.

Anyway, here's the update!

I can't wrap or cross wrap, I just feel like I am over manipulating my hair if I do it. But her hair looks great!

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Hello ladies!

I've just came back to the forum after a long time away. I'm now relaxed, living in a diff country (and climate, winter eek!) and just decided to attempt to grow my hair out while relaxed. This is going to be brand new for me as I'd been natural for 8 years, and was a complete DIYer. Being relaxed this time around I have had it cut in super short pixies :)2inlove:)and going to a salon for everything. However with the move to the UK I'm struggling to find a hairdresser on par with mine back in the Caribbean + drier climate....so I'd decided to get back to doing most things myself.

I am scared at the thought of self-relaxing so I have to figure out what's my plan - i.e. just go to a salon for relaxer/colour or bite the bullet and try it on my own :look:.

I'm also not sure if to continue relaxing bone straight or transitioning to texlaxed. I am truly lost as to what to do long-term. So I'll be here, reading and trying to learn how best to manage my hair. The longest I've been relaxed is SL :confused:, so I'll be attempting to get to APL. I am not averse to going back natural if my hair doesn't thrive while relaxed, but I wanna give it a good try.

nymane

Hello ladies!

I've just came back to the forum after a long time away. I'm now relaxed, living in a diff country (and climate, winter eek!) and just decided to attempt to grow my hair out while relaxed. This is going to be brand new for me as I'd been natural for 8 years, and was a complete DIYer. Being relaxed this time around I have had it cut in super short pixies :)2inlove:)and going to a salon for everything. However with the move to the UK I'm struggling to find a hairdresser on par with mine back in the Caribbean + drier climate....so I'd decided to get back to doing most things myself.

I am scared at the thought of self-relaxing so I have to figure out what's my plan - i.e. just go to a salon for relaxer/colour or bite the bullet and try it on my own :look:.

I'm also not sure if to continue relaxing bone straight or transitioning to texlaxed. I am truly lost as to what to do long-term. So I'll be here, reading and trying to learn how best to manage my hair. The longest I've been relaxed is SL :confused:, so I'll be attempting to get to APL. I am not averse to going back natural if my hair doesn't thrive while relaxed, but I wanna give it a good try.

@bajandoc86...I don't live in the UK but there's a salon that's always featured on the AvlonUK instagram page that looks good...Elite hair lounge (http://elitehairlounge.co.uk/services/). Good luck. I'm looking forward to the day when all nonessential services return!

MzSwift

I can't wrap or cross wrap, I just feel like I am over manipulating my hair if I do it. But her hair looks great!

Lol, I understand. I'm very sensitive about overmanipulation. In fact, I fingercomb at least 90% of the time. I had totally given up on wrapping until I learned about crosswrapping. I do it without combing my hair. This is pretty much how I crosswrap. M&S, slick back with hands, split into two and then wrap. I do it without the duck clips and just pull one side around, secure and then do the other side.

MzSwift

Hello ladies!

:welcome4:

Yay, welcome, gorgeous! We're here to help. You can definitely reach your goal! :)

MzSwift

I've just finished doing the first S&D I've done in years.
I think I'm gonna go ahead and relax this month. There's no need to wait until May since we're on lockdown until June here. There will be no big party to celebrate our birthdays. I'm also excited to try this mid-step moisture. :supergrin::trampoline:

demlew

I've just finished doing the first S&D I've done in years.
I think I'm gonna go ahead and relax this month. There's no need to wait until May since we're on lockdown until June here. There will be no big party to celebrate our birthdays. I'm also excited to try this mid-step moisture. :supergrin::trampoline:

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out bc I do a mid-step protein right now but I always need more moisture. I'm mad bc I usually stretch 8-12 weeks, but now I'm involuntarily on week 9 lol

MzSwift

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out bc I do a mid-step protein right now but I always need more moisture. I'm mad bc I usually stretch 8-12 weeks, but now I'm involuntarily on week 9 lol

OK, I've just finished relaxing and now airdrying in a WNG w mousse.

The mid-step moisture was great. Not lifechanging, but my hair felt better than when I do a mid-step protein or no mid-step at all. My hair was softer while applying it and softer after rinsing out my neutralizers. My relaxer turned out very well. So if you use Motions relaxer too, it's definitely worth a try! I still did my protein tx after neutralizing. I think overall, my hair turned out well.

With mid-step conditioner on

View media item 130543
And afterwards

View media item 130539

demlew

OK, I've just finished relaxing and now airdrying in a WNG w mousse.

The mid-step moisture was great. Not lifechanging, but my hair felt better than when I do a mid-step protein or no mid-step at all. My hair was softer while applying it and softer after rinsing out my neutralizers. My relaxer turned out very well. So if you use Motions relaxer too, it's definitely worth a try! I still did my protein tx after neutralizing. I think overall, my hair turned out well.

With mid-step conditioner on

View media item 130543
And afterwards

View media item 130539
Thanks for this! I don’t use Motions, but I just bought the Designer Touch line so I might be able to incorporate something. Your hair density is awesome.

sunnieb

@MzSwift gorgeous results!

I've been thinking of switching to Motions relaxer because my Design Essentials is getting harder to find. I'll see.

I'm almost 2 weeks post now. I inadvertently underprocessed, but I like the results. I set my relaxer timer for 15 minutes and I think that my dense new growth needs 18-20 minutes to fully straighten.

Here's some pics from today. I call it my Corona Lockdown Look. :lol: Low maintenance as heck!

Screenshot_20200411-130749_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200411-130831_Gallery.jpg

MzSwift

Thanks for this! I don’t use Motions, but I just bought the Designer Touch line so I might be able to incorporate something. Your hair density is awesome.

Really? Thank you. :blush2: I'm fine strand and medium density so I texlax to make my hair look thicker. When I flat iron bone straight, it looks flat/thin.

I'd be interested to see if a mid-step moisturizing DC works well with your relaxer system as well! I understand the importance of the protein mid-step but adding moisture right away to the hair makes a lot of sense to me as well. I'm thinking of trying my Queen Helene cholesterol next time so that I'm not limited if Motions changes their conditioner formula again.

MzSwift

@MzSwift gorgeous results!

I've been thinking of switching to Motions relaxer because my Design Essentials is getting harder to find. I'll see.

I'm almost 2 weeks post now. I inadvertently underprocessed, but I like the results. I set my relaxer timer for 15 minutes and I think that my dense new growth needs 18-20 minutes to fully straighten.

Here's some pics from today. I call it my Corona Lockdown Look. :lol: Low maintenance as heck!

View attachment 457965
View attachment 457967

Thanks sis! :kiss:

That's exactly why I stick with Motions. I can usually find it anywhere, including Sally's. I'm loving the Lockdown Look! KISSing is awesome! We should all be retaining so much during this time! Unless we give in to another temptation and shave... :look:

Prisangela

I've been trying to post for the last two weeks but have been distracted with the kids at home and working at the hospital but I’m now 2 weeks post washed and silk pressed and wrapped most days especially when at work

right after touch up did a rollerset no press
268A497C-AB7B-45E2-A5F3-9312F2508D21.jpeg 33A81421-352D-4E69-A24F-B84558978334.jpeg

Yesterday’s wash blow dry/press
BF3DD8EE-3197-41FF-A59A-FB0A7986127E.jpeg 2D0C6DBF-4C06-4639-BC91-4B922EA27B73.jpeg E7C24C63-D2BA-4F08-96C0-26AFCE9EAF77.jpeg 4B1C835D-B6CE-4070-8A0E-7867F8E79940.jpeg
sorry for the sideway views. I also did a dusting

sunnieb

@Prisangela beautiful! And stay safe at work!

I have 3 video work calls today, so I decided to add a few curls to my hair. Snaked this plc this morning and it made me smile. I have a ways to go, but my hair is reacting to the constant dcing and cowashing. It's soft and feels healthier.

Healthy hair leads to retention which leads back to my long hair. :)

Screenshot_20200414-112042_Gallery.jpg