Relaxed Hair Thread

Curls&Caramel

Hi! Just subscribed today. I'm so happy that I found this thread. I just started my healthy hair journey in June when I accidentally stretched 15 weeks because of the quarantine. I'd never done ANYTHING for my hair besides plop my butt down in a stylist's chair and hope for the best. With all of the talk of textures and porosity I've been beyond lost. I've been relaxed since I've been a kid and I don't know much about my hair except it's thick.

I've started a regimen and reading you ladies' posts has been inspiring. My access to products is limited because I live in Japan. In the COUNTRYSIDE. But I'm stubborn enough not to care. Any and all help is beyond appreciated. BSL here I come!

MzSwift

:welcome4:

You can totally do it! Just KISS (Keep It Simple Sista) and be consistent. Seriously, that's all there is to it. A good wash and protein+moisture DC (deep conditioner) weekly or every 2 weeks and scarfing your hair at night is a good start.

Treat any hair issues as they come along by researching many threads (this forum has been around a long time so the search function will give you some good results). I've found the search function to be more helpful than asking a question since you'll likely only get answers from ladies who are currently active if you ask. We've had waves of scientists and hairologists (lol) on this board over the years who have left their knowledge here for us to find through the search function. And of course, the ladies are super helpful and knowledgeable in this thread as well!!

GL to you and HHG (happy hair growing)! :)

Last edited:

Curls&Caramel

:welcome4:

You can totally do it! Just KISS (Keep It Simple Sista) and be consistent. Seriously, that's all there is to it. A good wash and protein+moisture DC (deep conditioner) weekly or every 2 weeks and scarfing your hair at night is a good start.

Treat any hair issues as they come along by researching many threads (this forum has been around a long time so the search function will give you some good results). I've found the search function to be more helpful than asking a question since you'll likely only get answers from ladies who are currently active if you ask. We've had waves of scientists and hairologists (lol) on this board over the years who have left their knowledge here for us to find through the search function. And of course, the ladies are super helpful and knowledgeable in this thread as well!!

GL to you and HHG (happy hair growing)! :)

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'm studying all of the threads that I think apply to me. There really is a LOT of useful stuff. Definitely need to simplify like you mentioned. It's easy to get overwhelmed while reading.

I'm still trying to figure out the protein moisture balance thing. My hair was always so dry that I've been pretty focused on moisture. Washing weekly with a hydrating shampoo followed up by moisture DC. I've been cowashing once a week. (Thinking about doing it twice but not sure if that is overkill). I ordered Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor from America. It should be here in a few weeks so I can give that a shot to do something about protein.

Right now the main issue is that my hair is an uneven mess and I don't know how to cut it or if I'm even supposed to. It always grows in lopsided.

Attachments

• hair sigh.jpg
    hair sigh.jpg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 25

MzSwift

I used my favorite relaxer Vitale Sensitive Scalp, for 15 minutes, followed by Giovanni Nutrafix hair reconstructor for 10 minutes, and I’m currently deep conditioning with Mielle Pomegranate and Honey Conditioner for however long this is gonna be in. Probably 30 minutes lol

:lachen::lachen:

Yay! You gave in to the temptation of the bucket list. Muahahahaha! :angeldevil:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I used my favorite relaxer Vitale Sensitive Scalp, for 15 minutes, followed by Giovanni Nutrafix hair reconstructor for 10 minutes, and I’m currently deep conditioning with Mielle Pomegranate and Honey Conditioner for however long this is gonna be in. Probably 30 minutes lol
This might not be my favorite relaxer anymore :cry3: I didn’t add anything to it, I just used straight relaxer and my hair looks like it’s kinda under processed. I’m gonna take a picture in the daylight to see it fully.

naturalpride

This might not be my favorite relaxer anymore :cry3: I didn’t add anything to it, I just used straight relaxer and my hair looks like it’s kinda under processed. I’m gonna take a picture in the daylight to see it fully.

What I noticed with virgin relaxers is that you usually have a do a corrective relaxer later due to lots of texture being left. When I did my virgin relaxer in January I had to do a corrective relaxer 10 weeks later to take some more of the texture out of my hair and I'm texlaxed. I used Silk Elements Shea Butter Mild Lye.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
What I noticed with virgin relaxers is that you usually have a do a corrective relaxer later due to lots of texture being left. When I did my virgin relaxer in January I had to do a corrective relaxer 10 weeks later to take some more of the texture out of my hair and I'm texlaxed. I used Silk Elements Shea Butter Mild Lye.
*Facepalm* How did I forget that? Thank you so much for reminding me. I’m definitely gonna do a corrective relaxer, but before I do imma do a hard protein treatment. I used a no lye relaxer but it’s Guanadine Hydroxide and not the other kind.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Forgot to mention, I had virtually no hair loss. Y’all should have seen me trying to comb out my little fro:lachen: That shrinkage was not tryna let me go lol. I used a rat tail comb and I combed it dry :eek: But I think the only reason why I didn’t have any breakage was that I washed my hair two days ago and started on the deep conditioning process but I didn’t get to rinse it out until last night :nervous2:

LushLox

Y’all I seen this? I’ve never seen this method before in my life. It seems to work for her.

This method has been mentioned a few times in this thread. People have said that the relaxer of course, is very thick so it’s a struggle to get it out of the applicator. You would have to cut quite a big hole to get the relaxer through, which could affect how well you can control it.

Potentially a good system though if you can get it working for you.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
This method has been mentioned a few times in this thread. People have said that the relaxer of course, is very thick so it’s a struggle to get it out of the applicator. You would have to cut quite a big hole to get the relaxer through, which could affect how well you can control it.

Potentially a good system though if you can get it working for you.
It’s been a while since I’ve read through this thread so I probably forgot about it lol. I think the reason it works for her is because according to the comment section she mixes it with conditioner and uses a dual tip applicator bottle she got from a kitchen supply store.

abioni

She ended up using her hands to apply the relaxer to the back because the front was tingling and using her hands was faster. I won't be using the a application bottle based on this. May still give it a try though since I mix my relaxer with conditioner and oil and I have an application bottle that I already cut the mouth to make it wider.

I like her method of applying the relaxer to both front sections at the same time. My right side was a bit straighter than my left side the last time I relaxed. I will try her method next time.

Y’all seen this? I’ve never seen this method before in my life. It seems to work for her.
https://youtu.be/Fk69CLsiXts

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
She ended up using her hands to apply the relaxer to the back because the front was tingling and using her hands was faster. I won't be using the a application bottle based on this. May still give it a try though since I mix my relaxer with conditioner and oil and I have an application bottle that I already cut the mouth to make it wider.

I like her method of applying the relaxer to both front sections at the same time. My right side was a bit straighter than my left side the last time I relaxed. I will try her method next time.
I might try it too since I have the equivalent of a pixie cut lol

Curls&Caramel

I got some fresh aloe today (thanks to my hair dresser telling me she saw some at the local Caribbean shop) and I'm eager to use it on my hair after watching a lot of YT videos about it. I'm sure this has been mentioned upthread, but anyone use this?

@Curls&Caramel do you live in the inaka or the CHO inaka?
Hey Gurl! Just inaka. Ibaraki area. Country enough to be COMPLETELY annoying when it comes to accessing anything remotely useful for my hair.:rolleyes: I do love living here otherwise. I picked the absolute worst time and place to decide to start a hair journey lol.

LushLox

I've just bought some fish oil for Omega 3, those coupled with my liquid biotin and Sugar Bear Hair supplements, should give me some decent growth over the next few months. I'll be stepping up the green smoothies as well, as I've slacked on this and it's a guaranteed winner in terms of growth, not to mention how good it is for my skin.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Hey Gurl! Just inaka. Ibaraki area. Country enough to be COMPLETELY annoying when it comes to accessing anything remotely useful for my hair.:rolleyes: I do love living here otherwise. I picked the absolute worst time and place to decide to start a hair journey lol.

Understandable! I hope that everything there works out for you. :)

LushLox

I washed and DC’d today but I haven’t done a protein treatment in ages. I keep meaning to do it, then don’t bother because of the ‘extra step.’ Laziness is a mutha.

I’ll do another wash in the week but this time, I most definitely will be using protein. My hair seems to thrive with protein too so it’s poor from me, got to do better. :look:

In other news I’m really enjoying air drying, hair feels nicely moisturised and smooth. Got a good routine with how to layer the leave ins and more specifically when to add them. But I’m only 4 weeks post so it’s supposed to be easy at this point lol. I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing throughout this next stretch.

I won’t be touching up again until around Christmas.

Last edited:

LushLox

Does anyone use Shea butter on their ends? I don’t use pure Shea but I occasionally use a balm which has a high Shea content. It’s so nice on the ends post air dry. And my hair isn’t weighed down and heavy.

MzSwift

I washed and DC’d today but I haven’t done a protein treatment in ages. I keep meaning to do it, then don’t bother because of the ‘extra step.’ Laziness is a mutha.

I’ll do another wash in the week but this time, I most definitely will be using protein. My hair seems to thrive with protein too so it’s poor from me, got to do better. :look:

In other news I’m really enjoying air drying, hair feels nicely moisturised and smooth. Got a good routine with how to layer the leave ins and more specifically when to add them. But I’m only 4 weeks post so it’s supposed to be easy at this point lol. I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing throughout this next stretch.

I won’t be touching up again until around Christmas.

So uh, *looks around and whispers*, I mix my protein and moisture together to DC. I stopped the 2-step process a long time ago bc my wash days were taking too long. The only time I did them separately was when I would use a protein step in my relaxer process.