Relaxed Hair Thread

LushLox

It’s quiet in this thread. Let’s keep it going ladies!

I feel like I’ve really retained during the last three months. I’m putting this down to:-

Donning my hair in my pure silk cap (well for half of that period).
Not combing my hair that often. I work from home so I’ve been able to just keep my hair wrapped up in my silk cap
Upped the protein - hair feels a lot stronger.

Another observation is Olaplex Bonding oil is an amazing oil. So light but effective!

It’s the only good news to come from more or less being a hermit lately lol

bronzeqtoftx

Knowledge Seeker
It’ll be a month on October first since my return to relaxer from natural. I have No regrets about self-relaxing. It’s been so much easier for me. I have underprocessed ends but I don’t plan to correct because to wear my hair down much. I also figure with regular trims they’ll be gone soon enough without me chopping my ends off immediately.

I appreciate how much easier it is to get to my scalp. As a medium length naturalista my hair was too coarse to really properly care my scalp. It was always a non ending battle to detangle for me as well.

For the most part my routine has been: Ouidad Climate Control shampoo,
AG Sleeek conditioner, Mielle Leave in conditioner, Eco gel in argan formula. Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor that I use every two weeks as well.

Last edited:

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
Hi Ladies, My hair is/continues to get healthier. I keep it in a bun and very moisturized, whether I work from home or go into the office. I relax my hair every 10-16 weeks. I just completed week 11. Will relax any day now.

About a month ago, I started using Argan Oil Treatment to seal. I use it in rotation with my shea butter mix and Blue Magic. The Argan Oil Treatment was recommended to me by a Sally's Beauty Supply sales person. I've gone through one bottle and now working on my second. I love this stuff. It keeps my hair so soft. I still use Olaplex #3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 but don't use 7 as often because I like a lot of oil on my hair and the #7 container is small. I started using Olaplex #0 too.

My hair is strong, soft, and healthy. I'm still aiming for my tailbone braid. I don't think I will make it this year, maybe next year.

Last edited:

Curls&Caramel

It’s quiet in this thread. Let’s keep it going ladies!

I feel like I’ve really retained during the last three months. I’m putting this down to:-

Donning my hair in my pure silk cap (well for half of that period).
Not combing my hair that often. I work from home so I’ve been able to just keep my hair wrapped up in my silk cap
Upped the protein - hair feels a lot stronger.

Another observation is Olaplex Bonding oil is an amazing oil. So light but effective!

It’s the only good news to come from more or less being a hermit lately lol
Congrats! Those are all great ideas. I was thinking of trying out Olaplex #3 too. Is that the bonding oil? Or are you referencing a different one?

Curls&Caramel

Trim ladies! Trim Trim TRIM! I've been struggling through my healthy hair journey since I started this summer. Hair was slowly improving but it never truly felt very different. My hair has been horribly uneven since 2020 started. Got relaxed last weekend and this time FINALLY bit the bullet and got a cut. Told the Japanese stylist to even it out with a blunt cut, and closed my eyes and prayed.

Washed my hair on my own this weekend and it's like someone put someone else's hair on my head! It's soft. It's SHINY. I airdried and didn't look like a tumbleweed. Convinced it's sorcery. :eek:

Thank you ladies for all of your wonderful moisturizing advice! That plus letting those scraggly ends go is making all the difference in the world.

The last few weeks I've added a honey/hot oil prepoo, proper protein use, a second deep condition every week and a natural spray from aloe vera juice, rose water, glycerin and essential oils that is perfect for my hair any time.

I can finally get excited about what's next. Now working on getting this braid out to shoulder length. It's chin length now. Lots of work to do.

LushLox

Trim ladies! Trim Trim TRIM! I've been struggling through my healthy hair journey since I started this summer. Hair was slowly improving but it never truly felt very different. My hair has been horribly uneven since 2020 started. Got relaxed last weekend and this time FINALLY bit the bullet and got a cut. Told the Japanese stylist to even it out with a blunt cut, and closed my eyes and prayed.

Washed my hair on my own this weekend and it's like someone put someone else's hair on my head! It's soft. It's SHINY. I airdried and didn't look like a tumbleweed. Convinced it's sorcery. :eek:

Thank you ladies for all of your wonderful moisturizing advice! That plus letting those scraggly ends go is making all the difference in the world.

The last few weeks I've added a honey/hot oil prepoo, proper protein use, a second deep condition every week and a natural spray from aloe vera juice, rose water, glycerin and essential oils that is perfect for my hair any time.

I can finally get excited about what's next. Now working on getting this braid out to shoulder length. It's chin length now. Lots of work to do.

So true about the trimming. I used to be scared of it but my goodness once I got over the fear and trimmed regularly my hair thrives now. And it very quickly grows back too; there’s nothing quite like the look and feel of freshly trimmed hair.

I think what I have been guilty of is trimming too much off so it has delayed my progress. But in saying that my ends are in very good condition right now so I probably won’t trim again now until the end of the year.

mheatley

I find that it is better to detangle my hair after washing it, rinse out my deep conditioner and wrap it in a tshirt for some minutes, before applying a leave-in and oil. I used to go straight to applying the leave-in without detangling it first, believing the leave-in will provide slip and make it easier to detangle. But the process of applying a leave-in conditioner to my hair while it's already tangled only made it more tangled if I don't detangle first. I'm liking this process so far. Reduces my tangles majorly and saves me time.

Do you detangle before or after putting in the deep conditioner? After about 6 weeks post, detangling is such a journey for me...so if you have found the magic recipe, please let me know lol

mheatley

I finally got a trim last weekend also, and I have to agree that it works miracles...I had convinced myself that I didn't really need to trim since I only use heat sparingly, but I am convinced I was wrong because I think I was still getting some spilt ends since my hair feels so much better after the trim.

mheatley

Need a new deep conditioner for my weekly/bi-weekly washes; any recommendations?

Also, received my olaplex no.0 and no.3 in the mail today, so will finally get to try them this weekend.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Need a new deep conditioner for my weekly/bi-weekly washes; any recommendations?

Also, received my olaplex no.0 and no.3 in the mail today, so will finally get to try them this weekend.
There’s a deep conditioner thread. If I find it I’ll edit my comment or I’ll tag you in a new post.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Gonna buy Olaplex 3 to nail down the rest of this regimen. Are you guys using it before or after your shampoo? Are you also using a reconstructor the same day like Aphogee 2 minute or are you alternating? Protein/Moisture balance is my nemesis.
I don’t use Olaplex 3, but I do use a reconstructor. I use it same day.

LushLox

Gonna buy Olaplex 3 to nail down the rest of this regimen. Are you guys using it before or after your shampoo? Are you also using a reconstructor the same day like Aphogee 2 minute or are you alternating? Protein/Moisture balance is my nemesis.

Always before my shampoo, think of it as a pre-poo. This is how I use it and I get great results every time:-
  • Make sure the hair is completely wet before applying
  • Apply a plastic cap and sleep in it overnight
  • Shampoo and proceed to treatment /or DC
No.3 is not a protein treatment so if you need to use a protein just go ahead and use it the same day.

Whatever you do follow it up with a DC, it's only really once you rinse out that DC do you appreciate how nice your hair feels - well this is my experience!

demlew

Olaplex sale going on right now

I am going to try this kit tonight. Any recommendations on how to?
I love #3 and it’s like a pre-poo. I leave it in for longer than what the bottle says. I’ve even slept in it (not intentionally) with no ill effects. #4 - the shampoo is great and seems concentrated so it doesn’t take much. I have no observations on 5 and 6. I though they were just ok, but it’s a great line in general.

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
Olaplex sale going on right now

I am going to try this kit tonight. Any recommendations on how to?
I use Olaplex with every wash and I'm experiencing consistent, great (soft, strong, resilient hair) results. I tend to follow the directions on the packaging for all products except #3. I almost always keep it in longer 20 minutes or I fall asleep with it in my hair or I leave it on for hours. I use #s 0, 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7. I use #7 less frequently because I tend to be heavy handed with oils, pomades, & butters.

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
Thank you guys!

I am going to leave #3 on overnight then. Do you shampoo before or after #3?
YW. I usually shampoo after a #3 treatment. However......if I have an "excessive" amount of butters and pomade on my hair, I will shampoo first and dry with my turban towel (quick air dry). Doing this is time consuming, so I started using #0. #0 preps the hair for #3. I hope this makes sense.