Relaxed Hair Thread

YW. I usually shampoo after a #3 treatment. However......if I have an "excessive" amount of butters and pomade on my hair, I will shampoo first and dry with my turban towel (quick air dry). Doing this is time consuming, so I started using #0. #0 preps the hair for #3. I hope this makes sense.

It makes perfect sense. Thank you!

BonBon88

I love Olaplex as well! I started relaxing again in June and will do so again in January. Because I use such heavy oils and hair cream when I bun, I wash my hair before using No. 2 (I’m not sure if the company took into account the fact that many/most black women use heavy products when creating their instructions). After a few hours I rinse it out without shampooing again, then apply deep conditioner or henna when I feel like I need it. I only use No. 1 (when relaxing), 2 and 6 - they’ve worked wonders for my hair in the last year.

Last edited:

You guys are right. I love it! I used No 3, 4,5 and 6 and my hair has never been more manageable! My 8 weeks worth of new growth is nice and loose! My plan is to alternate with a protein/moisture dc for every wash

Where you do guys find no. 1? I suppose it goes in relaxers? I would love to have one on hand for my next relaxer

BonBon88

You guys are right. I love it! I used No 3, 4,5 and 6 and my hair has never been more manageable! My 8 weeks worth of new growth is nice and loose! My plan is to alternate with a protein/moisture dc for every wash

Where you do guys find no. 1? I suppose it goes in relaxers? I would love to have one on hand for my next relaxer

No. 1 and 2 (and all the rest) are sold on sites like Ebay and Overstock with great reviews - make of that what you will :). Some vendors have better standing than others so it's important to research. You could also find someone who has a cosmetology license or any other beauty industry license (I was told the type of license doesn't matter as long as it's beauty industry, whatever that means).

Some mix No. 1 into the relaxer itself before application, then apply No. 2 later in the process. I personally mix any oil I have on hand with my relaxer, apply it, rinse it really well, then an ACV rinse and then neutralizing shampoo (ACV rinse cuts down washing with neutralizing shampoo significantly - the suds turn white after like 2 washes but I wash 3 or 4 times to be safe). After that I apply No. 1 and 2 for an hour, rinse, then deep condition with heat. So it really just depends on your hair and when you think it's best to incorporate the products into your relaxer routine.

No. 1 and 2 (and all the rest) are sold on sites like Ebay and Overstock with great reviews - make of that what you will :). Some vendors have better standing than others so it's important to research. You could also find someone who has a cosmetology license or any other beauty industry license (I was told the type of license doesn't matter as long as it's beauty industry, whatever that means).

Some mix No. 1 into the relaxer itself before application, then apply No. 2 later in the process. I personally mix any oil I have on hand with my relaxer, apply it, rinse it really well, then an ACV rinse and then neutralizing shampoo (ACV rinse cuts down washing with neutralizing shampoo significantly - the suds turn white after like 2 washes but I wash 3 or 4 times to be safe). After that I apply No. 1 and 2 for an hour, rinse, then deep condition with heat. So it really just depends on your hair and when you think it's best to incorporate the products into your relaxer routine.

I was thinking of doing the first type but that largely depends on what I have on hand when the time comes

Thank you so much sharing that with me/us!

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I finally took one braid out :lachen: I have so much new growth, I look like I’m natural lol. I have a confession to make though: I did the bare minimum this time around. I “washed” it a couple of times with this no rinse foam for braids, but I didn’t cover my head at all except for the first couple of weeks. I did however sleep on a satin pillow case. I barely sprayed leave in conditioner, but I didn’t cover my hair when I took my shower-bath (I basically stood up in the shower long enough to wash the essentials then I sat down and let the shower water run over me. I be tired and the water feels good lol). And I kept these braids in for almost a whole 3 months, when I used to take them out after a month, but that was when I was doing my own hair. Younger me would be looking at me now like:
CCE68FAC-1271-43D5-968A-98E7396FFA17.gif
But anyhoo, I feel like I don’t have the stamina and patience to do my hair so frequently like I used to. I did have some buildup, but it was at least a good inch or so into the braid. These braids are (Literally) hanging by faith and a satin Scrunchie.
1CECE154-D0DF-4C41-B0FD-325D0F2C2047.jpeg

Here’s a picture of the buildup eww lmao
CBEC17B7-099F-47C2-8A27-CB2808FDD903.jpeg

And here’s a picture of stretched and twisted hair
6B2A59E2-3BBE-4982-BBB2-E37D7C047B61.jpeg .............1A73DCDF-9169-413E-B5B0-7FE5C59489E9.jpeg

This post took me so long to write :cry3: I had to try and figure out how to size the pictures so they don’t turn sideways. They’re so small, but if I would have done full size image they would have been super huge. I put it to you this way: when I started writing this post my phone was on 6% it’s on 76% now lmao. So anyway heyyy, heyyy, how y’all doing? :lachen:
My next step is to decide if I wanna relax after I take these braids out or just wait and do another long term protective style. I definitely need a good clarifying shampoo,moisturizing deep conditioner, and reconstructive treatment.

I’m trying to figure out if I should be ashamed of myself or no.

Attachments

• 6511D2B7-22BE-4794-85D4-58E317068459.jpeg
    6511D2B7-22BE-4794-85D4-58E317068459.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 9EE80143-1A87-4B46-8A2F-D9695ED0020B.jpeg
    9EE80143-1A87-4B46-8A2F-D9695ED0020B.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 15
  • F647FC5A-5E7D-4E41-9054-6B8D7089742D.jpeg
    F647FC5A-5E7D-4E41-9054-6B8D7089742D.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 14
  • FC8F6B9A-440D-43F3-9C00-FF54B0AB17D9.jpeg
    FC8F6B9A-440D-43F3-9C00-FF54B0AB17D9.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 18

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I finally took one braid out :lachen: I have so much new growth, I look like I’m natural lol. I have a confession to make though: I did the bare minimum this time around. I “washed” it a couple of times with this no rinse foam for braids, but I didn’t cover my head at all except for the first couple of weeks. I did however sleep on a satin pillow case. I barely sprayed leave in conditioner, but I didn’t cover my hair when I took my shower-bath (I basically stood up in the shower long enough to wash the essentials then I sat down and let the shower water run over me. I be tired and the water feels good lol). And I kept these braids in for almost a whole 3 months, when I used to take them out after a month, but that was when I was doing my own hair. Younger me would be looking at me now like:
View attachment 464781
But anyhoo, I feel like I don’t have the stamina and patience to do my hair so frequently like I used to. I did have some buildup, but it was at least a good inch or so into the braid. These braids are (Literally) hanging by faith and a satin Scrunchie.
View attachment 464793

Here’s a picture of the buildup eww lmao
View attachment 464795

And here’s a picture of stretched and twisted hair
View attachment 464797 .............View attachment 464799

This post took me so long to write :cry3: I had to try and figure out how to size the pictures so they don’t turn sideways. They’re so small, but if I would have done full size image they would have been super huge. I put it to you this way: when I started writing this post my phone was on 6% it’s on 76% now lmao. So anyway heyyy, heyyy, how y’all doing? :lachen:
My next step is to decide if I wanna relax after I take these braids out or just wait and do another long term protective style. I definitely need a good clarifying shampoo,moisturizing deep conditioner, and reconstructive treatment.

I’m trying to figure out if I should be ashamed of myself or no.
Also ignore my oddly tiny ears. I’m one of the few people that have to change my earbuds to the smallest pair.

abioni

I detangle after deep conditioner. My hair is fluffy before I put products like leave-in and oil in it so it's easier to detangle. Keep in mind that I use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner so that probably helps too.

Do you detangle before or after putting in the deep conditioner? After about 6 weeks post, detangling is such a journey for me...so if you have found the magic recipe, please let me know lol

abioni

I don't remember where I saw the method of holding one's hair up (hair divided in sections. I do 4 sections.) with one hand and using the other to scrub the scalp. This way, the hair is held up and away from the scalp. This has helped me in reducing tangles. I used to wash my hair with it laying on my head and scrubbing away. This agitated my strands and caused tangles.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I really just realized they changed the formula of my relaxer. I probably realized it before and forgot lol. Me= (imagine the cow jumping over the moon) Object Permanence The old formula had Guanadine Hydroxide and the new formula has Calcium Hydroxide. That’s why I stopped using the Vitale Sensitive Scalp the first time, but I forgot, and just auto pilot bought the Vitale.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I was randomly thinking about the time I relaxed my hair twice in two weeks because the texture in the back was weird :lachen:

But...I think I’m slowly getting tired of short hair. What I have going on right now with this new growth and this short hair....I look ridiculous :spinning::lachen::lachen: Thank Gawd I don’t have anywhere to go.

I think after my last Vitale Sensitive Scalp relaxer, I might have to court a new relaxer. What y’all like nowadays?

Good question. I am thinking of switching from lye to no-lye for my next touch-up, hopefully this weekend. I am thinking of going back to Phytospecific. It was perfect until I had a bad reaction to it. I have come to realize I may have bought a compromised version from Amazon.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Me to me right now :lachen: I should have just waited until I got to my side of town to take my hair down...and I should have taken better care of my hair. I tried this experiment and me no likey

Attachments

• 932289C6-6507-4F76-A9A0-98D471C029C0.jpeg
    932289C6-6507-4F76-A9A0-98D471C029C0.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7