Relaxed Hair Thread

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
If you know that you do not put relaxers on "wet hair or air dried hair" which is what she asked, then why ask the question?

I made the stupid mistake as a young teenager not knowing much about relaxers. By washing their hair the previous day, the next day the salon advised against it but I was stubborn and was made to sign a disclaimer, guess what I burned my scalp badly I can still feel one of the lesions on the nape of my neck.

I have been relaxing mine since I was 15 either at salon, cousin who trained as a hair dresser or 10 years myself. I'm in my 40's. We all know you don't relax wet hair and must be completely dry, scalp undisturbed preferably for one week before relaxing.

Your hair and scalp changes as you get older. I'm fortunate with my last few self relaxers 2 years ago that I haven't burned at all by being very careful. Yet my relaxer done by salon 3 months ago normally burns go figure. I just hope in my next self-lax, likely next week will once again not burn.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
If you know that you do not put relaxers on "wet hair or air dried hair" which is what she asked, then why ask the question?

I made the stupid mistake as a young teenager not knowing much about relaxers. By washing their hair the previous day, the next day the salon advised against it but I was stubborn and was made to sign a disclaimer, guess what I burned my scalp badly I can still feel one of the lesions on the nape of my neck.

I have been relaxing mine since I was 15 either at salon, cousin who trained as a hair dresser or 10 years myself. I'm in my 40's. We all know you don't relax wet hair and must be completely dry, scalp undisturbed preferably for one week before relaxing.

Your hair and scalp changes as you get older. I'm fortunate with my last few self relaxers 2 years ago that I haven't burned at all by being very careful. Yet my relaxer done by salon 3 months ago normally burns go figure. I just hope in my next self-lax, likely next week will once again not burn.
Sis, I just asked what SHE did. That’s it. That’s all. You okay hun?

lorr1e1

I bought 2 giant tubs when I was NYC for a funeral cause I can’t find it here in FL. So worth it though. I tried the Mizani rhelaxer and it’s just not the same
What is the difference between the Mizani Butter blends and Rhelaxer apart from one not having the nice smelling butter blend?

sunnieb

It's the little things.....

The past three years have been full of breakage, dryness, and overall not knowing if I'd ever retain any length.

FINALLY, I think I've tuned a small corner on my way back to BSL. I was able to do a twist and pin instead of a small rollover. Yay me! Next stop, SL! :weird:
Screenshot_20201130-192549_Gallery.jpg

Royalq

What is the difference between the Mizani Butter blends and Rhelaxer apart from one not having the nice smelling butter blend?
Sorry im just now seeing this. They both smell the same. The butter blends leaves my hair do much softer, thicker, shinier, and stronger. Butter blends makes it easier for my hair to accept moisture too. The difference is like night and day.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
New relaxer today after being almost exactly 17 weeks post. I wanted to go last month but we were in Lockdown2 which meant everything was closed except supermarkets / home stores (even restaurants and hotels). We opened up again on Wednesday and I'm glad I got in when I did.

I ran out of my lovely aloe daily spray, hoping to get more aloe in soon and start again.

sunnieb

Anyone still using Neutrogena Triple Moisture like me?

I suggest you stock up! It's been a little hard to get for a while, but I always managed to find some at CVS or even Amazon in a pinch.

Went to CVS yesterday and they are on clearance! :( Y'all know what that means. I've seen this before with my other longtime favs.

I have a good stock to last for a while. Gotta find a replacement eventually.

LushLox

Personally I have had no problems in washing and DCing my hair the day before relaxer with zero problems and zero burns. Admittedly I’ve not done it recently but when my hair is five months + post relaxer it helps to soften up the NG tremendously.

But that is just me, people need to do what works for them. That’s the thing about hair, there’s ‘no one size fits all.’

Last edited:

LushLox

It's the little things.....

The past three years have been full of breakage, dryness, and overall not knowing if I'd ever retain any length.

FINALLY, I think I've tuned a small corner on my way back to BSL. I was able to do a twist and pin instead of a small rollover. Yay me! Next stop, SL! :weird:
View attachment 465845

Awesome well done!

It can feel like a long, slow journey but when the gains come it makes all the consistent maintenance and care worthwhile.

lorr1e1

Personally I have had no problems in washing and DCing my hair the day before relaxer with zero problems and zero burns. Admittedly I’ve not done it recently but when my hair is five months + post relaxer it helps to soften up the NG tremendously.

But that is just me, people need to do what works for them. That’s the thing about hair, there’s ‘no one size fits all.’
This is why relaxer companies will never recommend relaxers on wet hair or train anyone in this method as its a question of liability. I find that if you was your hair 2/3 days prior to relaxing its easier to deal with then at least your scalp has had a chance to calm down and you can have a couple of days oil on the scalp.

lorr1e1

I just watched this lady have a 35 minute relaxer application process and her hair is still thick, and she didn’t have any relaxer burn. I wanted to ask her how does it feel being God’s favorite:look::lachen:
I never burn with relaxers for the last 7 years I've done my own I use coarse/resistant strength I think the key thing is to ensure scalp is in clean, relaxed state, lightly oiled and not disturbed or damaged. I wash it no later than 3 days prior. On the day I oil it well but not thickly ensure I base the whole scalp and edges.

sunnieb

My hair’s like “Oh no ma’am, what you not about to do is just slap some moisturizer and go on your merry way. Bring that tail HERE (points dramatically as hair can)and actually part and apply the moisturizer. The nerve of you thinking you can just squeeze some moisturizer in your hair and go. RESPECT MY DENSITY :pyro:
Me: :oops: :ohsnap: :duck:
Sorry Sybil lol

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

You are so right! I've been re-committed to moisturizing the RIGHT way. Slapping product in top and trying to "work" it in, doesn't work. Only parting in small sections and strategically applying my products in the right order works.

I know this and yet still try to go the quick route.

Think I'll create a new album in my Fotki specifically to track my moisture routine.

Yes, I still have Fotki. :wiggle:

sunnieb

I've rediscovered using EVCO like I used to.

Reading through my notes, I was using that stuff..... a lot.

Don't know why I cut back. My hair loves it like it loves honey.

Now I'm reading through the advantages of coconut oil to stay motivated to keep using it.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
My hair finds castor oil so itchy, so I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe I'll join @sunnieb with EVCO.

iHerb had 15% off (or rather HAS 15% off) so I ordered some more aloe for my daily spray! Now to get a big aloe vera leaf, but that means getting on the bus. (I live in a very, very walkable area.)

lorr1e1

My hair finds castor oil so itchy, so I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe I'll join @sunnieb with EVCO.

iHerb had 15% off (or rather HAS 15% off) so I ordered some more aloe for my daily spray! Now to get a big aloe vera leaf, but that means getting on the bus. (I live in a very, very walkable area.)
Do you mix caster oil in with anything else. I've had itchy scalp in the past but I found it's because I either have too much oil on the scalp and hair or my scalp has a bit of dandruff due to not watching out shampoo/conditioner throughly.

I used to put on a fair amount of oil/lotion on hair and scalp, these days I keep it light and throughly wash scalp, I wash my hair every 4 days (twice per week) and I don't have any problems.

Last edited:

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Do you mix caster oil in with anything else. I've had itchy scalp in the past but I found it's because I either has too much oil on the scalp and hair or my scalp has too dandruff due to not watching out shampoo/conditioner throughly.

I see to put on a fair amount of oil/lotion on hair and scalp, these days I keep it light and throughly wash scalp, I wash my hair every 4 days (twice per week) and I don't have any problems.

Yes, usually with essential oils. I think you're onto something: either too many essential oils, too much oil in general or my scalp in general.

LushLox

Heyyyy ladies how are we getting on.

I've just currently air drying in flexi rods; I'm really loving the simplicity of managing my hair right now. Wash, condition, air-dry, silk cap - rinse and repeat. I don't even need to moisturise as often in between washes as my hair seems to be holding moisture so well right now. Barely touching my hair is really helping me at the moment.

I'm 4 weeks post, I'm not sure how long this stretch will be, but it will be at least 12 weeks.

I'm also finally in a place where I'm happy with the products that I'm using; I don't feel a need to tinker or find myself getting tempted by new products.

BonBon88

Do any of you ladies trim your own hair to not only take off the bad ends but maintain the shape? My hair is longer in the middle and I want to keep it that way but don't know if I can since trimming the back is the most difficult part. I don't want to cut strait across. I may just hold my breath and go to my mom's stylist to get a quick trim after I relax my hair again at the end of March.