Relaxed Hair Thread

sunnieb

@ItsMeLilLucky that's why I love that I relax my own hair. My plans never work out.

I always say that I'm going to relax on a certain day and early in the day. Nope! Every time I end up relaxing at like 8pm and staying up late to finish the process. And it's always on a work night!

I'll learn one of these days! :p

starfish

It's been harder for me to go from MBL to longer (aiming for WL) than I thought. I get a trim every 8 weeks to keep my ends thick and healthy (and he dusts, doesn't cut more than necessary) but I'm realizing that I need a different treatment for my ends that what I've been doing. More moisturizing and sealing I think.

LushLox

Just finished my TU at 16 weeks post. Whilst the preprepared twist method worked well for me previously I’m not sure I can keep doing it as my hair is getting longer now and that method is getting more difficult. The twists were awkward to get out this time and I will likely have the same problem next time.

Nevermind though, yet another decent relax. I should be at MBL by next year.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Just finished my TU at 16 weeks post. Whilst the preprepared twist method worked well for me previously I’m not sure I can keep doing it as my hair is getting longer now and that method is getting more difficult. The twists were awkward to get out this time and I will likely have the same problem next time.

Nevermind though, yet another decent relax. I should be at MBL by next year.
Ooh! TheTabbi1 on YouTube has TBL? relaxed hair and I think she uses elastic bands in place of the twists. Maybe that might help some.

Benuontherise

How many of you guys use colour please. What brand do you use and what is your process. Do you dye on relaxer day, a few weeks after or before your touch up?

thanks
Hello,
I color with Sally’s generic Gloss liquid hair color in 1B Midnight Blue Black. It’s a Demi permanent so not damaging. I color my hair at least 2 weeks after my touch up still as if it was a permanent color. The color last long and looks shiny after.

abioni

How many of you guys use colour please. What brand do you use and what is your process. Do you dye on relaxer day, a few weeks after or before your touch up?

thanks

I have fine hair and a lot color brands dry my hair. Sally's ion made my hair feel like straw. I used to use Clairol Advance Gray semi permanent without issues but lately it doesn't stick to my hair. I really like Clairol Natural Instincts, it doesn't dry out my hair but in less than 2 weeks my gray edges start showing. The hair inside (my non-edges) retain color. I understand it's because my edges get wet often from showers and washing my face but it's still annoying and frustrating. I also like that Natural Instincts instructs you to dye the roots first for some minutes before applying to the rest of the previously colored hair. A lot of dyes don't say anything about doing that. A lot of people end up applying from root to tip from the start each time they color their hair which is probably not healthy.

My next step is to try Wella Demi Permanent, I believe it's the same company as Clairol but can't remember. I will leave a feedback after trying it. If I don't like it, I might go Back to Natural Instincts and apply hair color powder to my edges when I go out.

sunnieb

So I'm entering the end of an era.

I just started using my very last bottle of Neutrogena Triple Moisture. NTM has been with me on my hair journey since I found LHCF back in 2008.

I will miss this staple in my product lineup and haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

I'm also on my last bottle of Rusk Smoother. :cry3:

I know things change, but i don't have to like it! :drunk:

LushLox

Thanks guys re the colour. I think I may take a plunge into this unknown territory soon!

I think I'm going to move back to roller setting for a while. I've not done it consistently for over a year but it was such a good drying method for me and I got so much progress from it back in the day, so I'm going to try it this week and see.

Benuontherise

Thanks guys re the colour. I think I may take a plunge into this unknown territory soon!

I think I'm going to move back to roller setting for a while. I've not done it consistently for over a year but it was such a good drying method for me and I got so much progress from it back in the day, so I'm going to try it this week and see.
I just decided to roller set weekly as my drying method also! Direct heat is the best for my hair.

sunnieb

Welp, I finished off the very last drop of Neutrogena Triple Moisture today. The empty bottle is in the trash. <sigh>

I've moved on to ORS daily styling lotion. Just applied it after my cowash tonight. I'll see how my hair likes it.

Screenshot_20220317-211346_Chrome.jpg

abioni

I relaxed my hair last night. I used to relax straight then I got this lovely idea to texlax because my hair is fine. My hair felt nice when it's wet but felt like straw when it’s dry. I decided to relax it straight again two months ago. Unfortunately, after the relaxer the body still had texture while my root was straight. I decided to correct that yesterday, which means applying relaxer to all my strands again. I was worried about this because it will be the third time that I have applied relaxer to all my strands. I did it anyway because I didn’t like the different textures. I put Olaplex 1 in my relaxer and did a stand-alone treatment (Olaplex 1 and 2), then put Aphogee 2 minutes on top before neutralizing. This mid step took me over two hours because my class started, and I couldn’t neutralize my hair during the class. The class was two hours long.

I was worried about the triple processing and not neutralizing my hair for over two hours, but my hair came out good. A little texture in some parts but I will manage. I don’t plan to process all my strands again. I will be doing Olaplex stand-alone treatment again next week with Aphogee two-step to prevent any issue from coming up. Then dye my hair a week later. I will probably do another Olaplex stand-alone treatment again at that time. I put my hair through a lot yesterday but I’m glad it looks healthy. Time will tell though. I will be using Olaplex and Aphogee often to prevent future damage.

abioni

I don't know what they put in scalp basing creams, they are so effective. I couldn't find Summit sensitive scalp and used Vaseline in it's place. I had the worst burn ever. Several part of my scalp had blisters. I used Hawaiian Silky base cream this time and not a single burn and I processed longer than the last time. It's even better than Summit. It's a big bottle but I'm about to go buy another one in case they run out.

Why do most of the base creams come in bottles with a nozzle? The cream is so thick, I couldn't push it through the nozzle.

secretdiamond

I don't know what they put in scalp basing creams, they are so effective. I couldn't find Summit sensitive scalp and used Vaseline in it's place. I had the worst burn ever. Several part of my scalp had blisters. I used Hawaiian Silky base cream this time and not a single burn and I processed longer than the last time. It's even better than Summit. It's a big bottle but I'm about to go buy another one in case they run out.

Why do most of the base creams come in bottles with a nozzle? The cream is so thick, I couldn't push it through the nozzle.
I used to always wonder the same thing. Never made sense. :lol:

I relaxed my hair last night. I used to relax straight then I got this lovely idea to texlax because my hair is fine. My hair felt nice when it's wet but felt like straw when it’s dry. I decided to relax it straight again two months ago. Unfortunately, after the relaxer the body still had texture while my root was straight. I decided to correct that yesterday, which means applying relaxer to all my strands again. I was worried about this because it will be the third time that I have applied relaxer to all my strands. I did it anyway because I didn’t like the different textures. I put Olaplex 1 in my relaxer and did a stand-alone treatment (Olaplex 1 and 2), then put Aphogee 2 minutes on top before neutralizing. This mid step took me over two hours because my class started, and I couldn’t neutralize my hair during the class. The class was two hours long.

I was worried about the triple processing and not neutralizing my hair for over two hours, but my hair came out good. A little texture in some parts but I will manage. I don’t plan to process all my strands again. I will be doing Olaplex stand-alone treatment again next week with Aphogee two-step to prevent any issue from coming up. Then dye my hair a week later. I will probably do another Olaplex stand-alone treatment again at that time. I put my hair through a lot yesterday but I’m glad it looks healthy. Time will tell though. I will be using Olaplex and Aphogee often to prevent future damage.
Fingers crossed for you. Doing the Olaplex stand alone probably helped a lot.