Relaxed Heads - Do You Use Honey For Hair Health?

sunnieb

How do you use it and why?

I mix 2 tablespoons of honey in all of my dc's. I've been doing this for years because I remember reading about the moisturizing effects of honey.

I looked on youtube and found this prepoo tutorial by Macherieamour (love her!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-wOCjhRig&list=UUPOQbEwc02d254hSh6dxHRg&index=8&feature=plcp

Has anyone done this prepoo before? I think I might try it.

What other things can we do with honey in our hair????? :drunk:

sunnieb

Here's an article I found on Honey for Hairgrowth:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/88669-using-honey-hair-growth/

Aug 24, 2010 | By Rose Welton

Honey contains both fructose and glucose, natural sweeteners that nourish the hair. Honey also retains water and moisture, allowing it to hydrate hair while providing vitamins and minerals such as copper, iron, manganese, calcium, sodium, potassium, phosphorous and Vitamin B. In a 2001 study conducted by the Dubai Specialized Medical Centre, patients experiencing hair loss and scaling and itching scalps were instructed to rub honey onto their scalp for 2 to 3 minutes a day. All the patients experienced relief from the itching and an improvement in hair loss. The same concept can be applied at home to encourage hair growth.

Step 1

Combine 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a bowl and mix thoroughly. The nutrients of both honey and cinnamon will clean and moisturize the scalp, encouraging hair growth.

Step 2

Apply the mixture to your scalp and leave it on for 15 minutes.

Step 3

Purchase a shampoo or conditioner that contains honey. These hair products are typically designed to prevent hair breakage and make the scalp healthier.

Things You'll Need

1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Shampoo and conditioner containing honey

References

Amazing Green Tea: Honey and Hair Growth
Organic Facts: Health Benefits of Honey and Cinnamon
PubMed: Therapeutic and Prophylactic Effects of Crude Honey on Chronic Seborrheic Dermatitis and Dandruff

sunnieb

Another good article:

http://blackhair101.com/hair-care/honey-hair-benefits

Why Do You Need Honey?

Honey is a healing agent. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and composed of nutrients like minerals-magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium chlorine, sulphur, iron and phosphate), vitamins (such as B1, B2, C, B6, B5, B3), trace elements (like copper, iodine, and zinc) as well as amino acids. Because of its rich store house of nutrients, honey is a very useful beauty aid that nourishes the skin and the hair. According to scientific research from the University of California, it was revealed that honey consumption raises protective antioxidant levels. Other reasons why honey is useful for hair and skin:

Honey For Hair and Skin Benefits

Honey gives hair sheen and adds moisture to hair preparations. Homemade Hair Relaxer lists a range of ingredients along with honey, which will give the hair a good conditioning.

Honey contains both fructose and glucose; these sweeteners naturally nourish the hair and encourage hair growth.

Honey is a humectant; it allows the hair to retain water and moisture, allowing it to hydrate hair while providing vitamins and minerals. Since honey is able to hold on to water, it is a great way to treat hair that is damaged and dry.

Honey can be used in cases of hair loss, in a 2001 study conducted by the Dubai Specialized Medical Center, patients experiencing hair loss and scaling and itching scalps were instructed to rub honey onto their scalp for 2 to 3 minutes a day. All the patients experienced relief from the itching and an improvement in hair loss.

For extra softness and sheen, apply honey to damp hair and let sit for 30 minutes or overnight. Then, shampoo, condition and style. Your hair should feel softer and more manageable.

Honey can lighten the hair over time, for added hair lightness add cinnamon or lemon juice to the mixture. It is a natural hair lightener.

Honey is a natural cure for dull, brittle, dry hair. Massage hair scalp with honey and egg yolk. Leave for 30 minutes and then wash.

Honey For Hair

When purchasing honey, raw unprocessed honey is best; it contains a wide variety of health-supportive substances. The darker the color the higher the levels of anti-oxidants the honey will contain.

Using Honey As A Pre-Poo

Apply honey alone or with egg and yogurt on damp hair for at least an hour, cover with a plastic cap and allow the honey to enter the hair shaft. Rinse out and shampoo and condition as usual.

Using Honey As a Shampoo

A tablespoon of honey can be added to your regular shampoo to amplify the benefits.

Using Honey As a Conditioner

Add a tablespoon of honey to your regular deep conditioner, along with a tablespoon of carrier oil (olive, castor, coconut). Let it sit for an hour or more or under a dryer for 15-20 minutes and feel the difference.

If you want to go all-natural, you can add honey to your butters, milk, yogurt, tea rinses, aloe vera or oil for great results.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I use to add honey to almost everything I DC with, now i just add it when I want an extra boost in moisture. I think I'm going to start doing it again. It's great for shine too. I've done the prepoo a few times and it's very moisturizing.

jessicarabbit

I always mix it in all my DCs and it does give your hair that extra moisture boost.I'm thegonna try the honey cinammon on the scalp thing though, sounds invigorating

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Not unless it comes that way. i.e. Oyin Honey Hemp, MyHoneyChild and a few others have Honey already in them.

Recently I saw a bottle of Sweet Agave Nectar at a store I was in and almost bought it, but don't like mixing/adding...so I left it there.

Mjon912

Here's an article I found on Honey for Hairgrowth:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/88669-using-honey-hair-growth/

Aug 24, 2010 | By Rose Welton

Honey contains both fructose and glucose, natural sweeteners that nourish the hair. Honey also retains water and moisture, allowing it to hydrate hair while providing vitamins and minerals such as copper, iron, manganese, calcium, sodium, potassium, phosphorous and Vitamin B. In a 2001 study conducted by the Dubai Specialized Medical Centre, patients experiencing hair loss and scaling and itching scalps were instructed to rub honey onto their scalp for 2 to 3 minutes a day. All the patients experienced relief from the itching and an improvement in hair loss. The same concept can be applied at home to encourage hair growth.

Step 1

Combine 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a bowl and mix thoroughly. The nutrients of both honey and cinnamon will clean and moisturize the scalp, encouraging hair growth.

Step 2

Apply the mixture to your scalp and leave it on for 15 minutes.

Step 3

Purchase a shampoo or conditioner that contains honey. These hair products are typically designed to prevent hair breakage and make the scalp healthier.

Things You'll Need

1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Shampoo and conditioner containing honey

References

Amazing Green Tea: Honey and Hair Growth
Organic Facts: Health Benefits of Honey and Cinnamon
PubMed: Therapeutic and Prophylactic Effects of Crude Honey on Chronic Seborrheic Dermatitis and Dandruff

Thank...I've heard about putting honey in my hair but never knew the process...I'll be doing this next wash

sunnieb

Nix08 - no, you are not being silly. You should've seen my face when I first heard of this!

I add it to my conditioners only, so it's not sticky for me. I do want to try the prepoo in my first post though.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

amwcah

I forgot about the moisturizing properties of honey. What do you think about adding it to my own homemade hair moisturizer?

sunnieb

amwcah said:
I forgot about the moisturizing properties of honey. What do you think about adding it to my own homemade hair moisturizer?

What's in this homemade moisturizer of yours?

If you choose to add honey to it, heat it up first. Otherwise, your hair will lighten up over time. Ten seconds on the microwave should be enough.

sylver2

yes, i always add honey to my deep conditioners. i heat the conditioner then add the honey in afterwrds and mix good. sometimes i use manuka honey.

amwcah

What's in this homemade moisturizer of yours?

If you choose to add honey to it, heat it up first. Otherwise, your hair will lighten up over time. Ten seconds on the microwave should be enough.

Oh, I don't want lighter hair. Never mind. It has water, olive oil, lecithin, vitamins(A, B, and E) in it. The olive oil should be moisturizing enough. I would like to add something for additional slip though.

camilla

I do but i mix it in with my pre poo conditioner mix lustrasilk shea mango when my hair is its natural brown color i use molassas when i am wearing a dark rinse in my hair then i shampoo an cond like i normally do less sticky when i put it in conitioner

MystiqueBabe

I have used honey in my hair in the past. My hair was soft but I mixed it in with my dc so I cannot say that my hair was noticeably softer because of the honey but after reading these benefits I will start adding honey to my weekly dc.

KhandiB

I use it in my egg yolk conditioner prepoo, who knew you could add it to regular conditioner!

~Hair~Fetish~

I shampooed today and applied some ORS Hair Mayonnaise and some EVOO. As an afterthought, I decided to apply some honey throughout (I bought it like a year ago and only used it once). I was too lazy to mix it into the DC.... just scooped gobs of it out with my fingers and applied it on top of the conditioner and EVOO. I then used one of those heated conditioning caps for about an hour while I was reading. When I got in the shower to rinse, I could immediately feel how soft my hair was and how easily the comb slipped through it in the shower. Even after I towel dried, it was still incredibly soft. I'm not sure if it was the conditioner I used, the EVOO, the honey.... or the combination of the 3, but this is my new DC concoction! My hair is now dry and it's still very soft and moisturized. I'm relaxed by the way.

Hope this helps someone...

amwcah

I will steam with some honey on my next wash day. This way I won't have to shampoo to rid my hair of the oils from Chicoro's prepoo(Aloe/oil/EVOO mix). I will follow up with a DC of ORS Replenishing Con.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I've been using Agave syrup/nectar and wow, it's a keeper:grin: It's sticky, since I just put it in my hand then on my hair, so I didn't want to like it but, I really really do:yep: I don't understand why but it leaves your hair extra soft and moisturized. So much so that my clarifying shampoo didn't leave my hair feeling stripped like it normally does.

s/n: I do dry dc's....

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I used the honey prepoo by Macherie several times but I don't recall it's impact on my hair. Over time I stopped using it and just went to adding the honey in my DC to use it up. I read that honey can lighten the hair and I didn't want that so I stopped using honey altogether. This was back when I was learning my hair. I know honey has outstanding benefits. Now that my hair's health is better and I am skilled enough to know if honey is/is not helping my hair upon using it, I will consider trying it sometime in the near future when feeling low on moisture/softness.

sweetypoo705

1 just did a honey & aloe vera prepoo. It made my hair soft, manageable, and light. I thought it would be sticky, but it felt like I was using condish. I'm making this a reggie staple - and I want to try different honeys to add a 'sweetypoo' experience to my washday

sunnieb

I used the honey prepoo by Macherie several times but I don't recall it's impact on my hair. Over time I stopped using it and just went to adding the honey in my DC to use it up. I read that honey can lighten the hair and I didn't want that so I stopped using honey altogether. This was back when I was learning my hair. I know honey has outstanding benefits. Now that my hair's health is better and I am skilled enough to know if honey is/is not helping my hair upon using it, I will consider trying it sometime in the near future when feeling low on moisture/softness.

If you heat it a little, it loses its lightening capabilities, but keeps the moisturizing properties. I accidentally lightened my hair in the beginning of my HHJ, but it's darkened back up now. :yep:

blackberry815

I'm going to try adding this to my deep conditioner... I always felt adding things to the deep conditioner means that the deep conditioner isn't good enough lol.. or that it cheapens a quality deep conditioner.. Idk.. weird..

Do you find that your hair is more weighed down with adding things like honey and oil to the deep conditioner?

sunnieb

sunnieb

blackberry815 - I used to think the same thing! It seemed silly to add stuff to conditioner.

However, I notice my hair is fluffier and shinier when I started using honey. Now I never dc without it! :)

venusfly

I love using honey in my hair.

I use honey three ways, i(1) in pre-poos mixed with oils and conditioner, (2) mixed with deep conditioner and Roux Porosity control when I need a moisture boost (eg., after clariftying or protein treatment) and finally, my favorite honey way alone on wet hair as a rinse before conditioner. Honey alone is my favorite. It immediately makes every strand feel thick and strong and when I do this and roller set my curls are extra bouncy and springy and my hair is light and fluffy. :grin:

I know it's supposed to be a humectant and very moisturing but weirdly for me honey makes my hair strands feel thick and strong especially when I use it solo.