Relaxed Heads - Do You Use Honey For Hair Health?

sunnieb

Doing my weekly honey/EVOO dc now.

Relaxed yesterday and I saw the honey benefits with my crown! Instead of being rough and dry, it was soft and moisturized! :weird:

The only thing I've added to my hair routine is being 100% consistent with doing weekly honey treatments.

It's messy and inconvenient at times, but the proof is in how my hair responded. I'll suck it up for my hair's sake.

sunnieb

Doing my weekly, drippy, sticky, messy honey/EVOO dc now.

Some weeks I really don't feel like dealing with all this. However, my hair feels great. I don't know what part of my routine is responsible for that feeling, so I have to continue to do EVERYTHING. :spinning:

Ignore my whining. It'll all be worth it when I have my BSL hair back! :gorgeous:

sunnieb

Doing my weekly honey/EVOO dc now.

I'll keep my eye out for any new honey hair research to post. :yep:

sunnieb

7 Reasons You Should Use Honey For Hair
Honey for Hair

IMPROVE YOUR HAIR HEALTH WITH HONEY
Honey is equally good for your hair care as well as recommended by ayurveda. Here's how:

Benefits of Honey for Hair​

1. Honey is an emollient which implies it is a characteristic conditioner. This makes it an incredible hair conditioner that smoothens your hair. So, if you are looking at getting your natural texture back, honey is the thing for you.
  2. It is a natural antioxidant, so it tends to make your scalp healthy and stimulate hair growth. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, so using it in your hair care routine can leave your tresses looking shinier, feeling softer, and in an overall healthier condition.
  3. As honey is an emollient, it likewise enhances the strength of the hair follicles, which are in charge of hair development. Analysts say that appropriate utilization of nectar of treatment of hair can wake up the resting hair follicles which support the development of hair.
  4. We all know that honey is a humectant; it has a tendency to keep the loss of dampness from your scalp. In any case, honey has likewise high sugar content which holds dampness. This accordingly anticipates hair fall and reinforces the hair follicles.
  5. Honey also comprises of antibacterial and antiseptic qualities. This prevents your scalp from infections or psoriasis and tends to keep your scalp clean and bacteria-free. This also keeps you away from dandruff and itchiness on your scalp.
  6. If your hair is dry or increased pollution and direct exposure to the sun has made them lifeless, then use of honey can bring back that lost sheen and shine of your hair.
  7. Honey is a natural lightener so it serves as a natural method to add subtle highlights or slightly lift your hair color overall. For a more intense effect, combine honey with your favorite conditioner, and add a squeeze of lemon juice. If you're looking to darken your hair, consider using molasses as a substitute.
There is absolutely no denying the benefits of Honey for health. But does it work effectively in beautifying the texture and quality of hair as well? Let’s find out.

Is Honey Good for Hair?​

First things first: let’s define the benefits of Honey for hair:
From providing deep conditioning to boosting hair growth, regular application of honey on the scalp and hair can give you great results. Talk of natural conditioner for hair, anyone!
  • Being a great emollient, it nourishes the scalp from deep within to stimulate growth of soft, silky hair.
  • It is also rich in antioxidants, which means it aids in hair conditioning, breaking or damaging.
It’s an amazing antibacterial and antiseptic qualities helps keep away scalp infections. All said and done, honey for hair is an excellent idea! Use it in a honey hair mask or apply it directly to the scalp, there is no way doubting the innumerable ways it can positively affect the health of your hair.

sunnieb

Doing my weekly honey/EVOO treatment now.

It's actually cold here and my honey hardened. Last week, I added more EVOO to loosen it up. My hair loved the added EVOO because it was extra soft the next morning.

So today, I went ahead and mixed the "hard" honey with a good dose of EVOO. Think I'll keep doing the extra EVOO from now on.

Here's how my mix looks now:
Screenshot_20210214-175618_Gallery.jpg

Still grainy, but does the job.

sunnieb

Horrible weather wouldn't let my hair routine be great last week. Not good to do a relaxer when you're not sure when power is going to go out!

So, I'm doing a honey/EVOO dc now and plan to relax tomorrow.

sunnieb

Another honey article:

Shutterstock

Using Honey On Hair Can Change Your Life In These 5 Incredible Ways​

BY JULIA GUERRA
AUG. 28, 2017

The beauty industry has gone holistic. Now more than ever women are paying close attention to ingredient lists and have begun demanding natural remedies for skin and hair, as well as organic cosmetics from their favorite brands. I personally think we have the no-makeup makeup look to thank for this change of events, but either way, beauty is back to basics. When it comes hair especially, home-remedies are having a moment, and while apple cider vinegar and coconut oil have their own cult-following, honey is healthy for your hair, too.

You can thank those hard worker bees for this multi-purpose product that lovingly tends to your strands and scalp. Honey is a nature-made humectant that retains moisture and is loaded with antioxidants to fight off environmental stressors. Why add honey to sweeten your hair? Here are a few life-changing reasons to drip a few drops into your everyday routine.

1. It feeds strands the vitamins and minerals they need to thrive.​

Commercial shampoos get the job done, but unless your label reads “natural” or “organic,” chances are chemicals are lurking throughout the formula.

Raw, unprocessed honeys are rich essential nutrients unlike processed products where vitamins and minerals are often diluted with those hard-to-pronounce ingredients. It can mend breakage and add a ton of moisture to a parched head of hair. Bee Keeper and author of Eating for Beauty David Wolfe told SheKnows,

Honey is a humectant. It attracts moisture from the air. This hygroscopic property, along with its antibacterial, emollient and softening properties make it ideal for hair and scalp care.

2. Honey Stimulates Hair Growth​

If you're not sold on oral hair growth supplements, try adding honey to your routine for a natural stimulant.

Because it is an emollient, honey seals in moisture and sustains conditioning while its antioxidant properties protect strands against environmental damage. Adding a few drops of this bee-produced beauty product enhances your regular wash with antiseptic elements and by strengthening hair follicles for less fallout.

3. It works as a no-poo alternative or shampoo additive.​

Allow me to set the scene: You're three days' post-wash, out of dry shampoo with zero baby powder in the house. My advice? Check the kitchen.

Similarly, to how people gravitate towards an apple cider vinegar wash when their hair care routine is product-free, honey can be used as shampoo, too. Mix one tablespoon of raw honey into half a cup of water and mix well. Apply to hair like you would any traditional shampoo and rinse well.

If you've got a ride-or-die shampoo product you'd never swap out of your shower, try adding a teaspoon of honey to a dime-sized amount of your shampoo for much-needed moisture retention.

4. You Can Use It For No-Dye Highlights​

A lot of people are opposed to hair dye because of the chemicals, but if you're interested in lightening your strands, honey can do so au natural.

Add a mixture of three tablespoons of honey and two tablespoons of water to damp hair, allowing the blend to sit and settle for one hour before rinsing. The key is to perform this method once a week until results are visible. It may not be as fast as a salon treatment, but there's no damage done to hair or scalp.

5. It Can Make Your Hair Shine​

Winnie the Pooh got it right; milk and honey are a power couple.

Hair feels soften when it's been nourished, and honey is known for its ability to lock in moisture for long periods of time. Milk contains casein and whey proteins which strengthen strands and stimulates growth. Combine the two in one 20-minute mask (like this one a la From the Grape Vine) for salon-style treatment that results in soft, supple strands.

sunnieb

Doing my honey/EVOO dc now.

No matter what you mix your honey with, be sure to mix it well. The mix should stay mixed and not separate. Makes for easier application and ensures even distribution of honey and other ingredients.

I add more EVOO now and the mix looks more yellow:

Screenshot_20210307-182428_Gallery.jpg

sunnieb

Doing my weekly honey/EVOO dc. Added some melted extra virgin coconut oil.

I've been reading studies about hair care and this stood out:

Among three oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a prewash and postwash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help in reducing the protein loss from hair

I use EVCO daily, but not with any dc. Since my hair loves it, I figured out would be a good combo with the honey and EVOO.

Click here to read the study.

sunnieb

So a few adjustments to my weekly honey dc.

I use less product
I got tired of the extreme dripping, so I cut back on how much honey/EVOO I use. I think I use about a tablespoon of each. Works fine and is enough for my whole head.

I cut dc time from one hour to 30 minutes
Thinking about dc'ing for an hour makes me want to skip it. 30 minutes is more manageable. I still do my other dc's for an hour.

So, it's a good way to start my week. :D

sunnieb

Doing my weekly honey/evoo dc and that makes me look up honey hair articles:

Honey Is a Shine-Boosting Must-Have for Dry Hair

written by CAITLIN DUGGAN
UPDATED MAY 12, 2021

or thousands of years, honey has been used as a wound treatment by indigenous cultures worldwide. Naturally golden in hue, honey is rich in nutrients and antioxidants, making it a popular treatment for wounds. The ability to use honey as a natural broad-band antibacterial agent has led to a recent resurgence in its clinical use.

In addition to its medical applications, honey has long been an ingredient in many hair and beauty products. Honey, propolis, and royal jelly are all byproducts of the beehive that have been shown to benefit the hair and skin. Many DIY hair mask recipes call for the use of honey as well, with the intended benefits ranging from motorization to strengthening.

Is there evidence to support the use of honey in hair? We turned to BosleyMD-certified trichologist Gretchen Friese and Marisa Garshick, MD, a board-certified dermatologist and clinical assistant professor at Cornell.

MEET THE EXPERT

Gretchen Friese is a BosleyMD-certified trichologist
Marisa Garshick, MD, is a board-certified dermatologist and clinical assistant professor at Cornell.
HONEY FOR HAIR

Type of ingredient: Hydrator, Strengthener, and Antibacterial Properties

Main benefits: Soothes the scalp, strengthens and hydrates hair, and boosts shine.

Who should use it: In general, it can be used by all hair types and textures. Those with dry hair and curly hair may benefit from honey as it helps to boost moisture. Additionally, because it is anti-inflammatory, it can be helpful for those with an inflamed scalp or those with dandruff.

How often can you use it: It's safe to use as a treatment once per week.

Works well with: Coconut or other carrier oils that add moisture to a mixture containing honey in hair treatments.

Don’t use with: There are no known ingredients that negatively interfere with honey. People with allergies to bee pollen can often be affected by products containing honey, so consult a dermatologist before beginning use.

Benefits of Honey for Hair

Honey has been used for centuries in folk medicine for wound treatment for its ability to repair skin and natural antibacterial properties. Honey leads to improved wound healing, pain relief in burn patients, and decreased inflammatory responses. With the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, the use of honey is being utilized more frequently by Western Medicine and has been found to be almost equal or have slightly superior effects when compared with conventional treatments. There are many different types of honey, but the one most commonly sought after for medicinal treatments is Manuka honey.

When applied to the hair and scalp, honey is able to provide the same skin regenerative properties to the skin of the scalp. Overall, it provides a great deal of moisture to the hair and scalp. It works as an emollient and conditions the hair and scalp. Once the hair and scalp are moisturized by the honey, it also locks in the moisture as it has humectant benefits as well.

Hydrates the Hair and Scalp: Honey is a natural moisturizer and can provide needed hydration to both the skin of the scalp and the hair itself. Its natural humectant qualities work to seal in the moisture and prevent transepidermal water loss.

Prevents Dandruff: Honey's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help to fight and prevent dandruff, which is often caused by fungus or bacteria. Garshick says, "because it is anti-inflammatory, it can be helpful for those with an inflamed scalp or those with dandruff."

Strengthens the Hair Follicle: Honey naturally contains protein. Garshick says, "Because honey contains protein, it can help to boost hair strength and structure and help with hair breakage." Breakage is one of the leading causes of hair shedding and loss, so by preventing it can lead to an improvement in the appearance of hair overall. "Honey can prevent damage, strengthen hair and reduce breakage of hair strands which will help hair grow longer," Friese adds.

Improves Overall Scalp Health: Garshick explains that because honey has antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, it can also be helpful for scalp health in general. Many hair and scalp issues are related to the overall health of the scalp, so it is important to treat these issues at the source.
Boosts Shine: Friese says that honey is great for adding shine in dry/dull hair. Garshick explains that by adding protein and moisture to the hair, honey will leave it looking shiny and soft.

Can Aid in Hair Growth: Honey first helps the appearance of hair growth by preventing the breakage of existing hair. When it comes to new hair growth, Garshick says honey can help to promote cell growth, suggesting its benefits promoting hair regrowth. Friese agrees, pointing out that the benefits to the overall scalp health can lead to new growth. "It can also prevent scalp infections such as dandruff, thereby allowing clearer follicles and more hair growth. In some cases honey has been known to strengthen and/or wake up dormant follicles," she explains.

Hair Type Considerations

In general, honey can be used by all hair types and textures, including color-treated hair. Our experts agree that honey is safe for all to use, but that some hair types may benefit more than others. Those with dry hair may find honey more helpful, as it will improve shine and soften the hair. Brittle or damaged hair will benefit from the added protein from honey. Curly hair often needs both moisture and protein, so it may be best suited for those with wavy and curly hair. Additionally, because it is anti-inflammatory, those with an inflamed scalp or those with dandruff may also find it helpful.

How to Use Honey for Hair

Honey can be found as an ingredient in many hair products, especially those targeted for curly or damaged hair. Honey is also one of the most common ingredients in DIY hair masks and treatments due to its many benefits and easy accessibility. Honey should be used weekly as a treatment to maximize its benefits. As with anything you apply to your hair and skin, it is important to patch test a small area before applying it to your whole head. There is a potential for allergic reactions when using honey, as Friese explains that people with allergies to bee pollen can be affected by products containing honey. 

Make a scalp treatment paste: Friese recommends using honey on its own to maximize its efficacy. "The best way to use honey is to mix it with a little water (just enough to help it become less sticky), massage into the scalp, and pull through the ends of the hair. Leave in for one to two minutes. Then rinse and shampoo and condition as usual."

Create a deep conditioning treatment: To create a custom deep conditioning treatment, mix honey with coconut or other carrier oils that add moisture. Friese shares that you can also create hair masks with a mixture of honey and yogurt or avocado and then mixing it to the consistency you desire.

Add honey to your shampoo or conditioner: You can add honey to your existing shampoo and conditioner; however, avoid adding more than a few drops as it can lead to stickiness and build-up.

Use hair products that contain honey: Both experts share that there are many great products for hair that contain honey. Garshick recommends Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Yogurt Hydrate + Repair Protein Power Treatment for processed, colored and damaged hair and Garnier Whole Blends Repairing Shampoo because it incorporates honey, propolis, and royal jelly extracts to nourish, strengthen and repair dry or damaged hair. Friese recommends L'anza's nutrient-rich daily Healing Strength Manuka Honey Shampoo and Conditioner.

sunnieb

Still doing honey treatments weekly. This week I added Jojoba oil along with Castor oil to my regular honey/EVOO base.

I've learned that mixing so many oils takes time. I can't just pour everything, stir and is ready. I let the mixture sit for about 30 minutes and kept stirring on and off. Mixture got smooth and oils stopped separating.

Here's a pic of the final mix:

Screenshot_20210620-193047_Gallery.jpg

sunnieb

I've been wondering if weekly honey dc's are worth it. This morning, I got my answer. I combed all my hair down to prep for moisturizing in sections. Well, my dry hair was blingin' so bright, I had to take a picture! :click:

No flash used. :) This is how I want my hair to look when I wear it down. A natural looking shine, but dry to the touch. No oiliness. Honey has a way of penetrating hair strands and making them shine!

I'll keep doing honey dc's weekly!

20210623_084455_resized(1).jpg

sunnieb

Doing honey dc now.

So, adding Castor oil and Jojoba oil to my base honey/EVOO might be a keeper. The mix "holds" together like it's meant to be.

The oils don't separate like honey and EVOO alone tends to do. Plus, my hair loves all those oils so why not use them?

sunnieb

Another tip as I sit with my weekly honey dc on - use hot water for your spray bottle.

Makes spreading the honey on your hair easier and helps keep your hair warm for the honey to penetrate the strand. :)

sunnieb

More benefits of using honey for your hair:

Benefits of Honey for Hair

1. Honey is an emollient which implies it is a characteristic conditioner. This makes it an incredible hair conditioner that smoothens your hair. So, if you are looking at getting your natural texture back, honey is the thing for you.

2. It is a natural antioxidant, so it tends to make your scalp healthy and stimulate hair growth. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, so using it in your hair care routine can leave your tresses looking shinier, feeling softer, and in an overall healthier condition.

3. As honey is an emollient, it likewise enhances the strength of the hair follicles, which are in charge of hair development. Analysts say that appropriate utilization of nectar of treatment of hair can wake up the resting hair follicles which support the development of hair.

4. We all know that honey is a humectant; it has a tendency to keep the loss of dampness from your scalp. In any case, honey has likewise high sugar content which holds dampness. This accordingly anticipates hair fall and reinforces the hair follicles.

5. Honey also comprises of antibacterial and antiseptic qualities. This prevents your scalp from infections or psoriasis and tends to keep your scalp clean and bacteria-free. This also keeps you away from dandruff and itchiness on your scalp.

6. If your hair is dry or increased pollution and direct exposure to the sun has made them lifeless, then use of honey can bring back that lost sheen and shine of your hair.

7. Honey is a natural lightener so it serves as a natural method to add subtle highlights or slightly lift your hair color overall. For a more intense effect, combine honey with your favorite conditioner, and add a squeeze of lemon juice. If you're looking to darken your hair, consider using molasses as a substitute.

sunnieb

The results of weekly honey treatments:
20210925_103010_resized.jpg

There's a lot of color going on that a picture can't capture. My normal hair color is black, but lightened by the honey. Then there's the grey hair that stays grey. Then there's the strands that have turned all the way brown. :)

But all in all, I love the moisturizing and other honey benefits! :)

sunnieb

Been dealing with a lot of personal stuff and haven't done a honey dc in months.

I finally got around to buying some yesterday and have it on my hair now. :)

Funny thing. I was on CVS the other day and there was a small container of "honey mask" for $20. Shoo, I paid $20 for the gigantic honey jar I always get. These hair companies are really taking advantage of stuff we've been doing on the hair boards for years!

sunnieb

Did a couple of new things with honey dc tonight:

First, I wet my hair fully under the kitchen sink instead of just using spray bottle. This helped the honey application since I didn't have to stop to spray as often.

Second, I always massage my scalp when I'm done applying the honey. Unfortunately, this leads to tangles. After rinsing in the shower, I then rubbed one squirt of Garnier conditioner through the length. So more of a co-rinse instead of a normal cowash. Tangles melted away and my hair had tons of slip.

I'll keep doing this each week.

sunnieb

I'm so glad I started this thread!

Some weeks I don't feel like doing honey treatments. And that's fine. But usually when I skip a week, I get right back on track.

I was about to procrastinate again, but started reading this thread about all the benefits of honey. I know my dry hair needs it.

So I'm sitting here with honey in my hair and loving every minute! :)

sunnieb

Here's another honey article for more inspiration:

8 Reasons Honey Is the Hair-Transforming Miracle You’ve Been Searching For​

Morgan Cutolo
Morgan CutoloUpdated: Mar. 07, 2022

Has the secret to luxurious locks been in your pantry this entire time?​

It seals in moisture​

Honey is a natural humectant, meaning that it takes the moisture from the air and is able to seal it in your hair and skin. This helps to keep your hair conditioned, which will reduce breakage, allowing it to stay strong and healthy and grow longer. Sealing in moisture also prevents dryness and premature wrinkles.

Strengthens hair follicles​

Honey also works to strengthen your hair follicles. This keeps hair from falling out so you can finally get the length you’ve been working for.

Highlights your hair​

Honey contains the enzyme glucose oxidase. When you let it sit on your hair for an extended period of time, the enzyme slowly releases hydrogen peroxide, which naturally lightens the hair. To create this highlighting mask, mix three tablespoons of honey with two tablespoons of water and apply to damp hair. Let it soak for one hour.

Rich in antioxidants​

Strong antioxidants are found in honey. They work to prevent damage to your hair and keep the scalp healthy.

Brings shine back​

Mix two tablespoons of honey in two cups of warm water and rinse your hair with it after you shampoo. It helps to bring back the shine that exposure to sun and styling tools can minimize.

Has antibacterial and antiseptic qualities​

Did you know honey is antibacterial? Yep, it works to prevent infections on your scalp and can help with conditions like eczema, dandruff, and psoriasis.

Minimizes impurities​

Not only does honey strengthen the hair follicle, but it also cleans any impurities off of them. Why is this a big deal? When impurities build up on hair follicles it can cause them to get clogged and the hair to fall out.

Stimulates hair regrowth​

Honey works to boost hair growth, but it also reboots dormant follicles for addition growth. Use honey to add thickness to your hair and get more volume.

sunnieb

As per usual, I procrastinated all day yesterday, but ended up doing my regular honey dc.

So glad I did! My hair is always so soft the morning after. The weeks I skip it, there's something missing in my hair and I can feel it.

I definitely like doing a co-rinse in the shower using whatever conditioner I have on hand. I no longer worry about too much tangling.

sunnieb

Doing my honey/EVOO dc now.

I moved a couple of months ago and now I'm over an hour away from my old area. I ran out of my Farmers Market honey - you know, the good stuff. Haven't gotten around to finding a local market or health food store around here yet.

Last week, I used some honey I bought at Costco. I use it in my coffee. Surely it would be similar, right? Nope! I can tell the difference in my hair.

The natural honey just moisturizes better. My hair has more bounce. I got up yesterday morning and drove to my old Market and bought 2 big jars of natural honey.

Lesson learned!

sunnieb

I'm always looking for accessories to make my hair routine easier. I bought these shoulder wraps at CVS. There's 3 in a pack and I thought they would a nice change from having to fool with holding a towel while I apply my honey/EVOO dc's.

They are disposable and I thought they wouldn't work once I really felt how thin they were. But, it worked like a charm. I think they were less than $5. I'll keep buying them. I'll also check Amazon for something similar.

Doing honey dc's is so messy! If my hair didn't love it so much, I'd stop.

20230122_171752_resized.jpg

sunnieb

@snoop raw honey is the best! I use local honey produced by bees in my state.

I tried some "store honey" that said it was natural, organic, yada, yada, yada. My hair was like, nope! It's a noticeable difference.

I may complain a bit about the messiness of it, but my hair thrives with my honey/EVOO dc's, so I can't stop!

snoop

@snoop raw honey is the best! I use local honey produced by bees in my state.

I tried some "store honey" that said it was natural, organic, yada, yada, yada. My hair was like, nope! It's a noticeable difference.

I may complain a bit about the messiness of it, but my hair thrives with my honey/EVOO dc's, so I can't stop!

Likewise, I go to a man who sells honey from bees that he keeps on his property. He himself is not the beekeeper, but has an agreement with the man who actually keeps them. His wife told me last year that they may not be selling this year because they have to increase prices (to account for packaging and such) but wasn't sure if people would still pay. I like him because I can buy by the 5kg pail. There are local farmers that I may have to go to, but for the quantity, I'd have to pay much more.

sunnieb

I finally got around to finding a new supplier of raw honey. Since I moved last year, I'd been making trips to my old Farmers Market to get my usual local honey. Well, I got tired of that long drive real quick!

Found a new place that is closer to me and they deliver for free if I need it. Did a honey/EVOO dc last night and my hair felt like bouncy butta today! Store brand honey can't compare!