Relaxed Heads - Do you winterize your hair regimen?

sunnieb

I made the mistake of getting very lazy last fall/winter and my hair paid for it. :nono:

I've come to realize that my hair is actually drier in the wintertime. I've always thought the summer sun dried my hair out, but it's the cold wind that does it in.

I'm not totally sure what I'm going to change, but I think I will try to up my cowashing to almost daily and not get lazy with moisturizing (lightly) 2x daily. I can let up once spring hits.

What ya'll gon' do to your hair to protect against the cold??? :drunk:

MrsSmitty77

I can tell I am going to enjoy this thread OP. Very much needed information for the harsh Saint Louis winter. Subscribing.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I had no intention of really doing anything different...I've upped my co washing from once a week to every other day during the summer just because co washing is addictive:yep: I will be looking into a small fan like you have sunnieb to speed up my airdrying.....I don't really stay in one spot as my hair is air drying though...this may be an issue:ohwell:

MissMusic

I apply castor oil to my scalp in the winter, but otherwise, I don't change products or my regimen.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I tend to use Heavier Conditioners for Cowashing. Heavier Deep Conditioners. I also use my Heat Cap more for Hot Oil Treatments etc....

Everything gets ramped up and kicked into High-Gear. More Butters, Pomades, Heavier Lotions, Hair Creams, Thicker Oils. Different Spritzes etc....None of that lightweight stuff.:lol:

Steam, Steam, Steam (well...that pretty much stays the same).

I'm Wiggin' it, so I may sure I have my Durag In Place underneath my Wig with Moisturized Hair underneath.:lick:

Ariana4000

Wigs because last winter I had setbacks. I do best with wigs and heavy oils underneath in winter. I learned my lesson.

kupenda

I cant wait for winter :) I'm gonna start back using heavier moisturizers and castor oil. Oil rinse with Vatika Frosting. Cowash every other day. Deep condition twice a week at least. Hot oil treatments weekly. And using the steamer at least once a month at my local Dominican salon since I don't have one. I also want a wig :) ive also been thinking abt getting my hair braided after Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Toy

My hair routine dont change during the Winter months..I do up my moisturizing game and keep those Ends Hidden.

sunnieb

Ok, I think I'll switch to castor oil exclusively and give up the EVCO for a while.

Sent from my Comet

lboogie2679

In the winter I drop the coconut oil. It makes my hair super hard. I switch to a grapeseed, sweet almond, and avocado oil mix.

shasha8685

During the summer, I can use any DC I darn well please and my hair is like "Cool"

That ish don't fly during the winter though so the main thing I will be doing is DCing with Aubrey Organics GPB and Aubrey Organics White Camellia exclusively.

EbonyCPrincess

Yes, I do. I rollerset more and seal with castor oil as opposed to my lighter oils. This summer I used S-Curl spray to moisturize and I had to put that away last month as the humidity levels dropped...so I would say I change my moisturizer for the winter also. In January I plan to get a sew in, but that's not because its winter, its because I can already tell I'll be feenin' for some fake hair around that time. lol.

Great thread, OP! You always have the great relaxed threads!

PinkPebbles

I'm going to use cleansing conditioners (WEN) opposed to shampoo. This will help retain the moisture in my hair.

A week before my touch-up I'll go to the salon for a shampoo to remove any buildup so my relaxer will take.

prospurr4

My regimen remains the same all year, and my hair does fine. However, I do live in the south, so the winter season is milder.

NIN4eva

I usually just co wash whenever I see fit all year around, but I seal heavier and hide my ends more in the winter. I wear a lot of sweaters and scarves and can't have my hair rubbing against that.

Your Cheeziness

I don't do anything differently. I wash the same frequency and use the same products. If it's windy out, I will wear my hair in a protective style. That's about it.

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
I'm thinking of hiding my hair under wigs or at the very least, wearing phony buns. I got my best retention with phony buns and ever since I stopped wearing them, my retention hasn't been the same.

Bnster

No I do not winterize my hair regimen. It may be something to look into. I know I don't bother using coconut oil, cause it gets hard and becomes harder to use. Then come summer I may forget to put coconut oil back in my regimen because something else replaced it.

afrochique

My regimen is basically the same: 8-10 box braids and a wig when I step out except for full head baggying 24/7 in the winter. I moisturize using S-Curl and seal with castor oil. I find coconut oil too light for wintertime.
I still wash and DC once a week but when it gets too cold (for Texas), I will wash my hair once in two weeks.

LaidBak

I go a little harder with the leave in oils and the protective styling in winter. I rarely wear my hair completely out in the winter anyway; and french twists and buns make it easier for me to keep more oil in my hair. This makes it easier for me to use sulfur oil growth aids too.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@LaidBak Imma be all over the Sulfur (G.A.'s) this Fall/Winter.

Last year me and another Poster did a Fall/Winter G.A.'s Personal Challenge.

We made up alot of concoctions too.:lol:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I pretty much use the same regi and stash year 'round. What does change is the frequency of sealing. In the summer, I seal infrequently, if at all. I tend to seal far more frequently in the winter (at least 1x daily).

Shana'

I will be dcing and ps'ing more. Do any of you change your dc for the winter and if so, what do you use?

sunnieb

I'm cowashing more than ever and I use castor oil exclusively now.

I'm thinking of ordering WEN conditioner for my winter moisturizing dc's, but I haven't decided.

Sent from my Comet

MsDee14

In the past I would just use thicker sealants such as Shea Butter or EVOO (while in the warmer months I use Jojoba, Coconut or Grapeseed oi). But this winter to maximize retention, I will be in protective styles such as braids, twists and corn-rows..all winter long.

TeeSGee

My regimen pretty much stays the same; ( KISS) .last year i used Scurl in the summer and made the mistake of using it in the winter and it gave me a setback. This winter i will not use any glycerin base products. The only thing that will change is M&S more frequently and do longer DC treatments.

LaidBak

Its cold here now, so I've started my winter regimen with today's wash. Lots of coconut oil added to the process-pre oiled with it, used a evco based condish, and will seal with it.
I like the fact that evco solidifies when cold. I love the idea of it forming an invisible sheild around my hair when I'm out in the elements. (I dont use so much that it can be seen turning white. )

classoohfive

My hair and skin dries out more in the winter. I have to deep condition more when winter comes so I'll be using the dryer more often than air-drying alone.

I found that protective styling helped retain moisture longer. I MIGHT braid my hair (mostly so I won't have to do much to it :look:), I don't know yet.

One thing I do know is that I can't get lazy with moisturizing and sealing. Right now I can skip days at a time and my hair will be fine but in a few months I'm going to be in trouble. The last few winters I ended up trimming more than the summer months to get rid of bad ends. I don't change up my products very much, with the exception of what I seal with. I can't use coconut oil (hair wise, but I use it on the dry areas of my face), I have to go heavier.