Relaxed Heads - Do you winterize your hair regimen?

JJamiah

http://www.my-hair-style.com/2010/02/01/how-to-deal-with-hard-water-your-hair/

I know there is a water softner you can get to attach to your water heater :( but it is the cheapest I heard it was was $250

but this is more then for your hair. It helps you not have to buy a new dishwasher, washing machine every year or two or have issues with your refrigerator that you can get water from because of the build up hard water gives. :nono:

It is something to look into if you have your own home, or are renting a home. I don't know how easy it is if you live in an apartment (I doubt they are friendly and will let you go attach something to the water tank)

I am googling some more, I hope others with hard water can chime in.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
http://www.my-hair-style.com/2010/02/01/how-to-deal-with-hard-water-your-hair/

I know there is a water softner you can get to attach to your water heater :( but it is the cheapest I heard it was was $250

but this is more then for your hair. It helps you not have to buy a new dishwasher, washing machine every year or two or have issues with your refrigerator that you can get water from because of the build up hard water gives. :nono:

It is something to look into if you have your own home, or are renting a home. I don't know how easy it is if you live in an apartment (I doubt they are friendly and will let you go attach something to the water tank)

I am googling some more, I hope others with hard water can chime in.

JJamiah - We own our home but we attached the filter to the shower head. Our water isn't too hard so our appliances are relatively safe. This was easier than having to attach to the water tank.

We live in a beachy area and some houses closer to the beach have really hard water. I've seen some hard water buildup on appliances that is just unreal. It totally discolors the appliance.

sunnieb

I find that I have to moisturize like a fool now that winter is here. I don't have to do this in the summer.

Cowashing and deep conditioning are a must!

Evolving78

i will be wearing roller sets and putting my hair up in some kind of way, so i can be able to wear a hat and a scarf to protect my hair when i am outside. i also plan on cutting out using a setting lotion to roll my hair with. i will be heavy-handed with the oil and light with the moisture. moisturizers tend to leave a waxing coating on my hair after awhile.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yeah, I'm in Full Winter Mode. I've pulled out all my heavier Lotions, Butters, Cremes & Oils.

I am also M&S'ing twice a day because I am under a Wig M-F 8:00 - 5:00.

I'm also using Heavier Cowashing Conditioners, Heavier Deep Conditioners to Steam with and I do a Regular Black Tea Rinse.

I should have enough of the heavier butters, cremes, lotions & oils to take me into Spring.

sunnieb

How is everyone doing?

I have kept my moisture levels up by dc' ing once a week and cowashing 3 times weekly. My hair is doing well.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Been Buttered Up, Oiled Down and Lotioned Up All Winter.

So far, it's been a pretty 'mild' winter, but I've been keeping things well Moisturized.:yep:

sunnieb

Had the strong urge to start bunning again

Guess I'm getting ready early!

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My Fall/Winter Regi is the exact same as last Fall/Winter.

I've already started pulling out my Heavier Butters, Oils, Creams Cowashers & DC'ers.

The temperature has been up & down already so I've been prepared.

Will still wig it out this Fall/Winter.

The one thing I'll truly miss about Spring/Summer is that I could cowash & DC under my wig while at work.:sad:

Now, I couldn't imagine keeping a wet/damp head throughout the day.:ohwell:

I'll still try x2 per week, but most of it will occur after I get home. May try to do a Butter Wrap under my Wig (at work) and come home and co-cleanse it out and proceed from there.

I have a couple Butter Pre-Poo Rx's, so that will be perfect.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I've already started applying QB AOHC and JBCO to my ends. I spend a lot of time in my house because I work from home for the most part and the air is extremely dry. I'm going to whole head baggy more this fall/winter season.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Not really, I did learn last year that my hair loves coconut oil in the warmer months so I put it away come fall/winter unless I'm adding it to a DC. I do get the desire to use honey more and EQP Mango Butter.

rririla

My Fall/Winter Regi is the exact same as last Fall/Winter.

I've already started pulling out my Heavier Butters, Oils, Creams Cowashers & DC'ers.

The temperature has been up & down already so I've been prepared.

Will still wig it out this Fall/Winter.

The one thing I'll truly miss about Spring/Summer is that I could cowash & DC under my wig while at work.:sad:

Now, I couldn't imagine keeping a wet/damp head throughout the day.:ohwell:

I'll still try x2 per week, but most of it will occur after I get home. May try to do a Butter Wrap under my Wig (at work) and come home and co-cleanse it out and proceed from there.

I have a couple Butter Pre-Poo Rx's, so that will be perfect.

IDareT'sHair....the bolded sounds very interesting....care to share them with us, since I have a vat of shea butter that I have no idea what to do with....a butter pre-poo rx sounds yummy:lick:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@rririla

There are a variety of Pre-Rx's on the market now.:grin:

Shi-Naturals has a Pre-Poo Buttercreme. I think Silk Dreams "PRE" is a Pre-Poo Rx.

Claudie, Afroveda & Phyto all have Pre-Rx Oils.

It's Perfectly Natural has a Butter/Oil Combo that is to be used a a Pre-Rx.

I've also made other Products into Pre-Rx's. I apply, wrap in Saran Wrap and Cowash it out.

Lurkee

I think I need to winterise my regimen. My scalp is so dry and itchy it is driving me crazy. I want to do a sew it but I feel I will be constantly patting my weave. I am going to follow some of you and use Castor oil on my scalp. Hoepfully, that will soothe it.

Also, when I comb, I lose so much hair. My hair might need more moisture which is weird because I have not used a protein DC in 4 weeks and I use Wave Nouveau daily.

lamaria211

I'm in FL so no real winter here but when it does start to slightly cool off ill DC more and cw less. I've already started using a shea butter mix to moisturize and will continue to use thru the cooler season

sckri23

Ugh this summer was all about reversing my winter damage now I have to make sure I keep my hair healthy for this next winter.

Sckri23 from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

ETA: I didnt really have a regimen for summer but winter is a different story. I have low porosity so should I M&S even if it takes a day or 2 to dry or should a daily spray work?

Last edited: