Relaxed Heads - Do you winterize your hair regimen?

sunnieb

Anybody use coconut oil during the winter months? I just found a full jar of EVCO that I'd forgotten about, but I remember reading somewhere that it can freeze on your hair. :nono:

Sent from my SGPT12 using LHCF

WaistLengthDreams

Anybody use coconut oil during the winter months? I just found a full jar of EVCO that I'd forgotten about, but I remember reading somewhere that it can freeze on your hair. :nono:

Sent from my SGPT12 using LHCF

I use mine year round without any issues. But the days where temps are below freezing are rare here in NC.

mschristine

I think I'm going to start doing oil rinsing again this winter with my coconut oil. It makes my new growth so manageable

grownupnai

Is it really bad to use s-curl and glycerin products in the winter? It's getting really cold here in Berlin, and I'm falling in love all over again with the moisturizing properties of my s-curl.

n_vizion

This is how I'm preparing for the cooler weather:
-Increase water intake as much as possible and drink warm lemon water and healthy teas when the weather cools.
-Using coconut oil on my scalp to deal with my dermatitis.
-For some reason, when it's cool outside I have the urge to go running. This winter I'll try to be as active as possible to help maintain good blood flow to the scalp.
-Lot's of omega 3s to fight off dry skin.
-Overnight deep conditioning (using my body heat to maximize effectiveness).
-Wearing cute silk scarves on days when there's a lot of dry wind and to keep my hair from rubbing against sweaters/turtlenecks.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
sunnieb

When I do, (use Coconut Oil in the Winter) I'm either doing a Hot Oil Treatment or applying it to previous relaxed hair right before Relaxing.

Otherwise, no.

sunnieb

Is it really bad to use s-curl and glycerin products in the winter? It's getting really cold here in Berlin, and I'm falling in love all over again with the moisturizing properties of my s-curl.

grownupnai - I don't have an answer for you, but I just wanted to say 'hey' and it's super kewl that you're in Berlin. :grin:

When I do, (use Coconut Oil in the Winter) I'm either doing a Hot Oil Treatment or applying it to previous relaxed hair right before Relaxing.

Otherwise, no.

IDareT'sHair - I've been using EVCO every other day or so and it's working well so far. Well, it's been in the 80s in Texas, so......:look:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
sunnieb, I use evco year around and love it. I tend to use mine at night for p.m. sealing or as a prepoo. I seal with avocado oil in the a.m.

Growingmyhairlong

bumping for answers. If anyone knows of a great oil to use in the winter. I know coconut oil is supposed to be bad to use for the winter because it hardens. Anyone has any suggestions.

quirkydimples

Growingmyhairlong said:
bumping for answers. If anyone knows of a great oil to use in the winter. I know coconut oil is supposed to be bad to use for the winter because it hardens. Anyone has any suggestions.

Have you tried or thought about grape seed oil?

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

sunnieb

I used African Royale's Hot Six Oil last night. It's a light oil made from olive oil, wheat germ oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil, and other stuff.

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

la mosca

I've started steaming with every wash. After I have shampooed, I distribute a couple of teaspoons of argan oil through my hair, and over that, I add a rich, moisturizing conditioner. I steam for about 30 minutes. When I rinse, my hair is super-moisturized and soft -- even with the 19 weeks of new growth I currently have. My hair retains moisture and softness so much better when I steam regularly.

sunnieb

Texas can't decide if it wants to get cold, so I haven't had to deal with cold weather yet.

How you cold climate ladies holdin' up?

sunnieb

Finally getting "cooler" here! :yay:

Think I'll just continue to keep my moisture levels up and try not to get lazy.

KDReese23

Have you tried or thought about grape seed oil?

Sent from my iPad using LHCF
Forgive me if this posts twice, but my computer is funky tonight.

Anyway, I'm new to all this especially compared to most of you but I thought that grape seed oil was to be used as a "sealer" versus a moisturizer. I'm currently using Jane Carter Nourish & Shine as my moisturizer and grape seed oil to seal. I actually love the combination but do I have it all wrong? :-/

KDReese23

I used African Royale's Hot Six Oil last night. It's a light oil made from olive oil, wheat germ oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil, and other stuff.

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App
How did you use it? Did you do a hot oil treatment with it? I'm curious as to whether I should start doing them.

FemmeFatale

Bump! I've been thinking about this, I'm on a weave hiatus and my hair will be out this until Jan/Feb, right in eye of the winter. My skin gets sooooo dry in the winter.
My plan so far:

Prepoo/hot oil treatments
Deep conditioning w/ Shea Moisture Manuka Honey 2x a week and
Moisturizing and Sealing my ends with castor oil

Getting a humidifier and steamer
Upping my water intake and Omega 3-6-9

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Will once again use Heavy Butters, Oils, Cremes.

May cut back to doing my Hair once a week (instead of twice per week i.e. Spring/Summer).

Will also be doing a lot of Oil Treatments and also Pre-Rx's.

Will still be doing Coffee/Tea Rinses each Wash Day.

And will probably Wig-It again this Winter.

*Makes a Great Hat - Nice & Warm too*

sunnieb

Good bump!

I don't cowash as often as I used to when I started this thread.

My goal this winter is to keep my moisture levels up by dc'ing, cowashing, and honey dc'ing weekly.

I find that I don't need protein as much now, so I dc with Motions CPR once a month and use Nexxus Humectress the other times.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
The best thing for my hair is doing regimens 2x weekly to keep the moisture up
I will also heavy seal as usual