Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

Evolving78

I'm 2 weeks and 4 days post. I don't know what I'm working with, due to these texlaxed roots. I just wash and condition, air dry, then clip my hair up. I plan to do this for the year. I will wear my hair out in April. That's when I plan to flat iron, and trim.

Evolving78

@whosthatcurl
Are you gonna do a corrective or just keep the texture?
I don't want super bone straight hair, but I may just go to a stylist to get it a bit more straighter and consistent. I may just go back to my original plan of not relaxing myself. no lye gets my hair straight, but it leaves it dry. Lye relaxers never get me bone straight, but I need someone that can move faster and smooth it to get what im looking for.
I didn't relax my hair to deal with three different textures. I wanna catch it now, since my hair isn't long.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I'm 2 weeks and 4 days post. I don't know what I'm working with, due to these texlaxed roots. I just wash and condition, air dry, then clip my hair up. I plan to do this for the year. I will wear my hair out in April. That's when I plan to flat iron, and trim.
I'm actually doing the opposite of you lol. I know if I put my hair up, I'll neglect it. So now I'm doing low manipulation. I wash it, deep condition it, let it air dry and probably every other week I'll flat.iron it. I'm usually too lazy even though I only do one pass lol. Usually I'll just air dry and pop it in a ponytail or half wig.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
@whosthatcurl
Are you gonna do a corrective or just keep the texture?
I don't want super bone straight hair, but I may just go to a stylist to get it a bit more straighter and consistent. I may just go back to my original plan of not relaxing myself. no lye gets my hair straight, but it leaves it dry. Lye relaxers never get me bone straight, but I need someone that can move faster and smooth it to get what im looking for.
I didn't relax my hair to deal with three different textures. I wanna catch it now, since my hair isn't long.
I want to do a corrective, but I've already relaxed that section twice. I'll assess in April to see if I need to do another corrective. Until then, there's always flat irons, and bss hair lol

Evolving78

I'm actually doing the opposite of you lol. I know if I put my hair up, I'll neglect it. So now I'm doing low manipulation. I wash it, deep condition it, let it air dry and probably every other week I'll flat.iron it. I'm usually too lazy even though I only do one pass lol. Usually I'll just air dry and pop it in a ponytail or half wig.
I wash my hair twice a week, so it can get some hydration and remove product buildup. That means I comb my hair 2x a week. That blow drying and flat ironing is time consuming for me right now. I just have this big flat claw clip that I use. It keeps my bun in place.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I wash my hair twice a week, so it can get some hydration and remove product buildup. That means I comb my hair 2x a week. That blow drying and flat ironing is time consuming for me right now. I just have this big flat claw clip that I use. It keeps my bun in place.
I'm too lazy to wash more than once a week lol. After I wash I sit under the dryer to D.C. or DC over night. Then I air dry and go from there. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible without damaging my hair. I almost never blow dry (I only blow dried once or twice since my hair has been relaxed. Ain't nobody got time for that) since I need all my energy to flat iron lmao. I'm trying not to slip back into my old lazy ways. I think having to consistantly apply the Xcel21 is keeping me on track.

Rozlewis

What do you use to detangle with?

Detangling has not been bad. I follow my normal routine and I do everything in sections. I layer my leave-ins. I use Annabelles Leave-in followed by Coconut oil and last Naturelle Grow's Soft and Silky Leave-in. I comb through my whole head with two combs (wide-tooth and medium) and then I roller set using heat protectant and a foam for hold. I then sit under my Pibbs for 60 minutes.

Yes. I have always washed my hair at least once a week.

Idk why but weekly washing no matter how I do it or what I use isn't for my hair. I think it may be because I don't have product buildup as I only use products on wash day. I don't know. Washing my hair while protective styled also isn't for my hair. My hair is strange.

Evolving78

Idk why but weekly washing no matter how I do it or what I use isn't for my hair. I think it may be because I don't have product buildup as I only use products on wash day. I don't know. Washing my hair while protective styled also isn't for my hair. My hair is strange.
Washing your hair just isn't about product buildup. Your hair has accumulated dust particles, debris, dirt, pollution, sweat, scent, etc... the hair also requires hydration. You cannot obtain hydration from Moisturizing products. Your scalp isn't different from the rest of your body.
The key is to finding out why the scalp is dry, and use a Reggie with proper formulated products to get the balance that you need.
I am skin therapist. I deal with the face, and body. I have seen my fair share of black people not cleansing their faces and body properly. I have seen layers of buildup of dead skin. Then there are black people that over do it, to prove something to themselves, or someone else that they practice perfect hygiene.

I also have eczema. I can breakout anywhere on my body. I still bathe daily. I know what I can do to reduce breakouts, and to treat them for fast recovery.

So I'm not really a fan of do what works for you, but I'm not the person that has to do it for someone else.
I will say this, if you are having super long detangling sessions, you apply products more than a few times a week, you have to use a bunch of creams and oils, and you suffer from dry scalp, then your hair and scalp is suffering. Shedding beyond the normal rate is also an indicator of something wrong with the scalp.

Evolving78

I decided to not say too much in the threads anymore, since there is becoming an increasingly rare of people not washing their hair often. I'm against it, and there is no sense in debating it. You don't wear your clothes for two weeks daily, so I don't know why on earth, one wouldn't wash their hair at least once a week?

Yes. Even before joining this board, I washed at least once a week.

For a while, I was up to 3 times a week. Now I'm down to 2.

Should 1 wash their hair weekly if they don't use products in their hair or should 1 wait until their hair is actually dirty? I personally only use products on wash day. I only oil my scalp & braids & I only use moisturizing oils never sealing oils, so every oil I use actually penetrates the hair shaft. When my hair is not protective styled I apply my oil blend to my scalp alone because it spreads into my hair on its own & applying it to both my hair & scalp would be overdoing it. For some reason this is how my texlaxed hair thrives best as weekly washing reaks havoc on my hair drying it out, causing tangling, etc.

Washing your hair just isn't about product buildup. Your hair has accumulated dust particles, debris, dirt, pollution, sweat, scent, etc... the hair also requires hydration. You cannot obtain hydration from Moisturizing products. Your scalp isn't different from the rest of your body.
The key is to finding out why the scalp is dry, and use a Reggie with proper formulated products to get the balance that you need.
I am skin therapist. I deal with the face, and body. I have seen my fair share of black people not cleansing their faces and body properly. I have seen layers of buildup of dead skin. Then there are black people that over do it, to prove something to themselves, or someone else that they practice perfect hygiene.

I also have eczema. I can breakout anywhere on my body. I still bathe daily. I know what I can do to reduce breakouts, and to treat them for fast recovery.

So I'm not really a fan of do what works for you, but I'm not the person that has to do it for someone else.
I will say this, if you are having super long detangling sessions, you apply products more than a few times a week, you have to use a bunch of creams and oils, and you suffer from dry scalp, then your hair and scalp is suffering. Shedding beyond the normal rate is also an indicator of something wrong with the scalp.

I don't have dry scalp or shedding & I don't use products throughout the week. My hair only becomes dry when I attempt to wash it weekly. Why? I do not know.

Evolving78

I don't have dry scalp or shedding & I don't use products throughout the week. My hair only becomes dry when I attempt to wash it weekly. Why? I do not know.
It's your products. What do you wash and deep condition with. I don't have tangling, dryness, or a stripped feeling. What technique do you use to wash your hair? I clean and lather 2-3 times. No stripping. I use a sulfate shampoo, then follow with a Moisturizing sulfate, or non sulfate. I apply shampoo to my scalp.

It's your products. What do you wash and deep condition with. I don't have tangling, dryness, or a stripped feeling. What technique do you use to wash your hair? I clean and lather 2-3 times. No stripping. I use a sulfate shampoo, then follow with a Moisturizing sulfate, or non sulfate. I apply shampoo to my scalp.

I use ACV or African black soap to wash with. I don't cowash because its like putting lotion on your hair. I only clarify. If I do this once a month it doesn't cause dryness, but once a week does. I've been using the same products for years now with no adverse effects until I started trying to wash my hair once a week.

Evolving78

I use ACV or African black soap to wash with. I don't cowash because its like putting lotion on your hair. I only clarify. If I do this once a month it doesn't cause dryness, but once a week does. I've been using the same products for years now with no adverse effects until I started trying to wash my hair once a week.
Those might be too harsh for relaxed hair. ACV doesn't clarify. It breaks down the oil, but it doesn't remove, it spreads it. Black soap may be too alkaline for your hair. You should look into products that are formulated for relaxed hair. You aren't having an adverse effect because you have created enough buildup that gives your hair a protective coating. You can combat that with a oil prepoo treatment.

Those might be too harsh for relaxed hair. ACV doesn't clarify. It breaks down the oil, but it doesn't remove, it spreads it. Black soap may be too alkaline for your hair. You should look into products that are formulated for relaxed hair. You aren't having an adverse effect because you have created enough buildup that gives your hair a protective coating. You can combat that with a oil prepoo treatment.

I forgot to mention I put the ACV in Sodium bentonite clay & it removes EVERYTHING from my hair & scalp. I've used products formulated for relaxed hair & they work just as well as the ones formulated for all hair types until I start using them weekly. Again no matter what I use or how I use it it didn't start causing problems until I started weekly washing.

Aggie

I forgot to mention I put the ACV in Sodium bentonite clay & it removes EVERYTHING from my hair & scalp. I've used products formulated for relaxed hair & they work just as well as the ones formulated for all hair types until I start using them weekly. Again no matter what I use or how I use it it didn't start causing problems until I started weekly washing.
I thought bentonite clay was good for oily skin/scalps.