Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

You know what?

I bought all the rollersetting supplies (included the dvd from a former LHCF member), and I've never done a complete set once! :lol:

I used to dabble with ponytail rollersets here and there, but never my whole head. I just don't feel like it.

I shudder at the thought of using a fine tooth comb to prepare my hair for rollerset. I can't believe I used to let stylists use that as a detangling method. No wonder my hair growth was stunted.

Evolving78

3 days post here.
I find myself frustrated with lye vs no-lye issue. I used no lye as my virgin relaxer which was fine on relaxer day but as time went on my hair became so dry and lifeless. So I switched to lye and there's definitely a lot more texture left and it does a number on your scalp (whew baby) but that goes away in a few days. Having said that I don't get the straw like dullness like I experienced from no- lye. I think I just need to find the right lye relaxer. I've been using silk elements shea butter and silk protein in regular.
And that's the reason I don't like no lye. But something has got to give!

Rozlewis

I shudder at the thought of using a fine tooth comb to prepare my hair for rollerset. I can't believe I used to let stylists use that as a detangling method. No wonder my hair growth was stunted.

@11228 I felt the same way. Before I perfected my technique I think I was causing more damage than not. Now I use the 3 comb method using seamless combs starting from the bottom and working my way up on wet hair and I hardly have any breakage.

SuchaLady

Speaking of rollersets, I just mentioned in the rollersetting thread that I either need to a) speed up doing rolling my own hair or b) just go on and get biweekly roller sets done at the salon. The problem with b is that I am not in the mood train a stylist on detangling my hair. It is very thick and Id hate to have to fight someone for using a fine toothed comb.

I have a lot of texture left in my hair these days and the airdrying just leaves me looking like I dont love myself anymore :look:

VimiJn

Let the truth set you free!
I do the best of both worlds. I roller set the front part (sort of a side swoop) and air dry the rest. I use an ouchless band to make a ponytail on the first day, then two strand twist it and hide the ends.
One of the things I promised myself this Go around is not to sacrifice style for length.
I've been doing this for several weeks now. I like it.

SuchaLady

Either I'm crazy (which I don't deny is possible anymore these days :look: ), or Wild Grow Hair Oil actually works. I purchased a bottle and was using it randomly here and there. Fast forward to me washing my hair tonight, I have so much newgrowth! I was examining my ends in preparation for my trim next week and I can barely spot the unevenness I was prepared to cut off :eek:

sunnieb

Either I'm crazy (which I don't deny is possible anymore these days :look: ), or Wild Grow Hair Oil actually works. I purchased a bottle and was using it randomly here and there. Fast forward to me washing my hair tonight, I have so much newgrowth! I was examining my ends in preparation for my trim next week and I can barely spot the unevenness I was prepared to cut off :eek:

How have you been using this oil?

How much is it?

Where did you buy it from?

Not that I'm trying to grow my hair faster or anything like that....

:look::look::look::look::look:

Evolving78

How much is it?

I use it and I don't experience fast growth, but it helps so much with softening my new growth. This isn't an oil you can't apply to your hair. It will make it weighted, greasy, sticky, etc.. and you can't use too much, that will make it hard to wash out. You can get it from Sally, and it runs $6.99-$7.99. It has a very strong medicinal smell.

Last edited:

SuchaLady

How much is it?

I just apply a very small amount to my roots.

It was about $6 and I got it from a random BSS. I really had to hunt it down because everyone was sold out.

I don't get sticky or weighed down hair but I also don't use the nozzle straight to my scalp. I use my finger tips to control how much goes where. But it does smell horrible :lol:

A picture from a Facebook friend who doesn't care about hair prompted this purchase. She said her hair would always break off in the front and after a couple months of using it, it caught up with the back :eek:

abioni

I think you should try a different lye relaxer before you use no-lye. I used Hawaiian Silky no base mild relaxer (you can try the regular) and I get my hair bone straight. Even my usually tough to straighten crown. No-lye relaxer seems to wear off after a while. My hair becomes frizzy and dry.

What I do is wash my hair 4 days before the relaxer and then use only rinse out conditioner. This ensures that my hair is clean without products on it. I also section my hair into 6 sections instead of 4. I section the front into four, 2 on the sides and 2 in middle. This allows me to start and focus on my crown area. The back I section into two and work on them last. Another thing I do is smooth as I do each section, then go back to each one as smooth again.

I don't base my scalp, I don't want to take the risk of under processing my roots (the petroleum jelly usually used is the same thing recommended for applying to already processed hair to prevent more processing). I burn a bit but I deal with it.

And that's the reason I don't like no lye. But something has got to give!

Evolving78

@KenyafromCT
Hey lady! What's going on with your hair?
I decided to go ahead an do a corrective. I used Creme of Nature argan oil relaxer. I accidentally grabbed the coarse instead of regular, but everything came out great.
My hair is straight again, the relaxer didn't leave my hair dull, or dry.

Also I used French Perm Stablizer. I used it after I rinsed and neutralized. I kept it on for 15 mins. Left my hair very shiny. After that o used the conditioner that came in the box and applied some Aphogee 2 min. I left that on my hair for 2 mins, then rinsed.
Now I'm deep conditioning with Moisturizing conditioner.
What did you decide to do?