Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

LushLox

I'm 4 weeks post this week. I hope to relax in 16 weeks but prepared to touch up 2/4 weeks earlier if needed.

What I've realised is that I absolutely have to wash my hair a day or two before I relax. It softens the new growth beautifully which enables me to have a manageable relaxer. The last one I did was great, all areas in my hair relaxed as I wanted it. It's taken me a few years to perfect it (well to my standards) so I've just got to stick to the formula that works.

Last edited:

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
I'm just over 5 weeks, but my hair is growing much more than it was a few months ago. It was falling out (as in all over, so not just my head!) but it's a lot better now.

I'm experimenting with roller sets. I used to be able to do a great rollerset when I was in HS and it looked OK but now I can't do nothing worth anything. :/ I may get some perm rods. I have flexi rods currently.

Evolving78

Does everyone self relax here or do you get it done at the salon?

I've been self relaxing for the past five years, best thing I've done. No one else is going to take the steps and the level of time and care that I take to protect my hair as I do.
I never had a bad salon touch up experience. I do it at home, because I just to have the time, or enough alone time.

Rozlewis

I've been self relaxing for the past five years, best thing I've done. No one else is going to take the steps and the level of time and care that I take to protect my hair as I do.

@LushLox I am a self-relaxer and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made concerning my hair. I can take extra steps to protect my hair, I can decide how long I want the relaxer in my hair and I make sure all of the relaxer is thoroughly rinsed out. When I went to the salon I was over processed, my hair was limp and week. I like that I am in much better control of my hair and results.

LushLox

I never had a bad salon touch up experience. I do it at home, because I just to have the time, or enough alone time.

In fairness I haven't had a bad experience either well some uncomfortable experiences but that's it.

It's the small little things like leaving the neutraliser on your head for 15 minutes or spending 20 minutes rinsing it out, they're not going to do that; not that I expect them to. Maybe there are stylists that would provide that level of service but I've never heard of any.

So yes if I want that level of care I need to do it myself.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas

I don't self relax, but that's partially because I don't have a good set-up at my current place and I can't change it because I'm renting.

Evolving78

In fairness I haven't had a bad experience either well some uncomfortable experiences but that's it.

It's the small little things like leaving the neutraliser on your head for 15 minutes or spending 20 minutes rinsing it out, they're not going to do that; not that I expect them to. Maybe there are stylists that would provide that level of service but I've never heard of any.

So yes if I want that level of care I need to do it myself.
lol any stylist I went to for a chemical service left the neutralize for 10 mins. Im laughing because I don't want to come off argumentive. It's people that braid I have a problem with, or that one person that didn't know how to handle natural hair. From start to finish! Lol maybe they have gotten better, but that was 10 years ago. She used to burn me a lot too!

LushLox

lol any stylist I went to for a chemical service left the neutralize for 10 mins. Im laughing because I don't want to come off argumentive. It's people that braid I have a problem with, or that one person that didn't know how to handle natural hair. From start to finish! Lol maybe they have gotten better, but that was 10 years ago. She used to burn me a lot too!

It's good that you had a decent experience but unfortunately a lot of us don't.

My stylist never left the neutraliser on for ten minutes but she did thoroughly rinse the neutraliser out; and I do like the reassurance of the neutraliser left on for a while. She was quite rough on my new growth too so I couldn't continue to have her relax my hair as she would only hamper my progress. No stylist I saw was sufficiently patient enough to deal with new growth to my liking.

If I could find a person relax my hair specifically as I would like it then I would use them as it would be nice to have someone else do my hair for a change.

As it stands....no

sunnieb

Self relaxer here thanks to LHCF! :)

I don't know of any stylists who want to deal with any newgrowth over 8 weeks post. Plus, with all the prep work I do before a relaxer, it was like well heck, what am I paying YOU for? :lol:

It would be awesome to find a stylist who loved my hair the way I do. I'd gladly pay for that service.

LushLox

Self relaxer here thanks to LHCF! :)

I don't know of any stylists who want to deal with any newgrowth over 8 weeks post. Plus, with all the prep work I do before a relaxer, it was like well heck, what am I paying YOU for? :lol:

It would be awesome to find a stylist who loved my hair the way I do. I'd gladly pay for that service.

If it wasn't for LHCF I would never had, had the guts to self relax. The support thread on self relaxing was worth the subscription fee alone. Admittedly the first few results were not good but I learned quickly enough. It was very empowering.

Like you I did so much prep work before seeing the stylist to ensure the relaxer service was straightforward but after a while you do just think, "what's the point!"

SuchaLady

0 days post :toocool:

Anyone know how many weeks post I was? Because I don't :look: but omg. I had a fro basically. So much newgrowth:eek: Anywho, it's definitely much longer and I'm glad that's over. I'll be going for my blowout + trim later today so that's exciting. I might take an inch-inch and a half off.

I swear I was gonna relax my hair tomorrow because I thought was like 3-4 months post relaxer. This was April. I'm barely 6 weeks :look:

danysedai

I went back to the salon after diy for the last few years. I used to go to a stylist who is very good, knowledgeable and who listens, but she went to Australia. Well, she's back now and she did my last relaxer. I also switched from the usual Affirm regular to Affirm Fiberguard regular. I liked it a lot and the stylist liked it too.
My next relaxer is July 1st or around.

SuchaLady

People insist this does not happen but it does: my hair kinks back up after my relaxer. And if it's underprocessed/not relaxed bone straight to begin with, you can be left looking foolish after about 1.5-2 months.

I'm like now what? :spinning: The strength that comes along with underprocessed hair is undeniable though. My hair rarely even breaks anymore but this aesthetic is not what I'm after in the least bit :look:

Evolving78

People insist this does not happen but it does: my hair kinks back up after my relaxer. And if it's underprocessed/not relaxed bone straight to begin with, you can be left looking foolish after about 1.5-2 months.

I'm like now what? :spinning: The strength that comes along with underprocessed hair is undeniable though. My hair rarely even breaks anymore but this aesthetic is not what I'm after in the least bit :look:
I had to go the bone-straight route for this very reason.

LushLox

I relax bone straight also. Because of this I have to be so on point with protein, and I'm not sure how that works if you're protein sensitive.

I totally slipped off using protein for a while and my hair suffered,but I've upped my game big time; I can already feel the benefits. My hair thrives on protein thankfully.

Currently 5 weeks post, the NG is coming in fierce already!

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I'm waiting on my shipment of X21 to come in. After I use it for 3 weeks, then I'm gonna relax. My hair has been really weak lately, even with the protein treatments. Until then, it's gonna be either braided or in a bun. Which reminds me, I need to also get some Wetline for my buns. The new growth ain't no punk though:lachen: