Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

sunnieb

:lachen:

Only for a loooooong stretch. I plan to be buried with my beloved relaxer! :drunk:

sweetiep

How many weeks post relaxer are you right now?
8 weeks

When is your next touch up?
In 4 weeks but may go longer if my new growth remains this manageable.

What relaxer will you use?
Mizani Butter Blends normal -lye

Are you going to a salon or will you self-relax?
Self relax

MzSwift

How are we all doing ladies during these difficult times.

I'm 5 weeks post. I will relax at about 16 weeks; I'm not going out anyway so I may as well make the most of my confinement.

@LushLox Hey stranger!! :hiya: I have missed seeing you around and your luscious locks! :missu:

I'm a SAHM and DH was already home 4 days a week so it's not been much adjusting as far as that. But my teen has no school for the rest of the year and wooo, this boy is restless! I told him we're doing Home Economics since he doesn't have any other work. There's lots of painting, cooking, cleaning, yardwork and various other projects he can help me tackle. Lol. Showed him how to work the grill yesterday and he grilled lunch for us. His teachers will be distributing lesson plans in the coming weeks to give us some guidance so I'll keep him busy until then. Lol.

How are you coping over there?

LushLox

@LushLox Hey stranger!! :hiya: I have missed seeing you around and your luscious locks! :missu:

I'm a SAHM and DH was already home 4 days a week so it's not been much adjusting as far as that. But my teen has no school for the rest of the year and wooo, this boy is restless! I told him we're doing Home Economics since he doesn't have any other work. There's lots of painting, cooking, cleaning, yardwork and various other projects he can help me tackle. Lol. Showed him how to work the grill yesterday and he grilled lunch for us. His teachers will be distributing lesson plans in the coming weeks to give us some guidance so I'll keep him busy until then. Lol.

How are you coping over there?

Hiya, missed you too! I just needed a bit of a break for a while, too distracting and I've had a busy year. But I'm indoors for the foreseeable future now so things are....different!

I'm in the same situation, my son's school is finished now and I need to keep him motivated and doing different things. He cooked dinner today, he's very good and it gives me a break lol!

MzSwift

Just finished relaxing. Sitting here under my conditioning cap with my post-relaxer DC baking in K-pak reconstructor and hydrator. Trying to finish those up. I'm not sure that they've added any benefit to my hair except to make it easier to throw on a protein DC since I don't have to mix it up beforehand.

Will be back to add pix.

ETA, OK here are a few pix:

Pre-relaxer prep.
Pre-sectioned and twisted the night before then loosely bunned the twists.

View media item 130535
View media item 130537
I did my parts differently and learned that I prefer to apply horizontally. I think it took me longer to apply this time even though I only had 8 sections, like usual. I did 2 horizontal in the back and then the rest vertically going straight back. I found those more awkward to apply the relaxer.

View media item 130541
I did a mid-step moisturizing DC, as instructed, using Motions Moisture Plus and I liked it. My hair felt softer while applying it and after I neutralized.

View media item 130543
I applied my usual protein/moisture DC afterwards using Joico K-pak Reconstructor and the k-pak Hydrator. I haven't rinsed it out yet. Can't wait to finish this stuff up yet. Might end up sticking with my Amino Acid mix post-relaxer.

View media item 130539

Last edited:

MzSwift

Alright so I'm definitely doing the Amino Acid tx after my relaxers for sure. I have a sensitive sense of smell. Even after thoroughly rinsing out my relaxer, mid-step tx, neutralizing 3x, ACV rinse and final DC tx, I can still smell the relaxer smell underneath the leave in. It's slight, but I still smell it. It has always been that way, even when I only had 2" of hair. The only time I don't smell it is if I use the baking soda tx after relaxing.

So I decided to try a WNG using mousse and I will be doing a wash and amino acid tx in the coming days. *sad smile*

Last edited:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
9 weeks post currently w/ thick, dense NG and I struggled a bit to part my hair to apply my oil prepoo today. I also think my hair being this short makes it a bit more difficult to handle with the difference in textures.

I’m not sure how long we will be on lockdown here in London, so even though I was aiming for 10-12 weeks post before I relax I doubt going to a salon at that time will be feasible. And then if it isn’t, I’m not confident enough to relax myself and worry that I’ll be more prone to breakage at my demarcation line the longer I hold out.

I may have no choice but to do it myself and even then...:ohwell: I’ll try to focus on figuring out ways to keep my NG pliable and soft - that might be the key to a longer stretch until this is all over.

MzSwift

9 weeks post currently w/ thick, dense NG and I struggled a bit to part my hair to apply my oil prepoo today. I also think my hair being this short makes it a bit more difficult to handle with the difference in textures.

I’m not sure how long we will be on lockdown here in London, so even though I was aiming for 10-12 weeks post before I relax I doubt going to a salon at that time will be feasible. And then if it isn’t, I’m not confident enough to relax myself and worry that I’ll be more prone to breakage at my demarcation line the longer I hold out.

I may have no choice but to do it myself and even then...:ohwell: I’ll try to focus on figuring out ways to keep my NG pliable and soft - that might be the key to a longer stretch until this is all over.

If you're nervous about doing your own touch up, and we have no clue how long things will be locked down, do you have any trusty PSs that you could alternate for a few months? That would help you limit manipulation and help you stretch until you're ready to do your hair or have someone else do it.

I typically stretch for approx 6 months at a time and the ONLY way I can do that is with PSing. After my new growth gets to be too much, I alternate between various extensions or wig styles to get me through to the next relaxer.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
If you're nervous about doing your own touch up, and we have no clue how long things will be locked down, do you have any trusty PSs that you could alternate for a few months? That would help you limit manipulation and help you stretch until you're ready to do your hair or have someone else do it.

I typically stretch for approx 6 months at a time and the ONLY way I can do that is with PSing. After my new growth gets to be too much, I alternate between various extensions or wig styles to get me through to the next relaxer.

My usual PS was straight back cornrows under wigs. Problem is I’m nervous about causing more breakage tryna wrangle my short hair into cornrows. I got some SCurl in the mail today so hoping that helps to soften the new growth and make it more manageable.

Last edited:

MzSwift

My usual PS was straight back cornrows under wigs. Problem is I’m nervous about cause more breakage tryna wrangle my short hair into cornrows. I got some SCurl in the mail today so hoping that helps to soften the new growth and make it more manageable.

Ah, ok. Yes, cornrow and wigging is one of my main PSs too! So I didn't know how to cornrow until I was in my 30's and on this HHG. LOL. I had 3" of hair. What I learned was that when my hair was shorter, I had to do smaller rows. I had about 12-15 rows, no kidding. As my hair grew longer, I could cut it down by half and the last time I did cornrows, I only needed 6 for a flat base. I think you can do it!

You can also do plaits too and just rock curlier wigs so that it camouflages any lumps. GL w the s-curl! I used to like using cholesterol conditioner to make it easier to grab my short hair.

I completely lost count of how long ago I relaxed. My hair is in about 8 braids now, held in a pony. I've washed and redone it once. I'll relax when it becomes too tangly

So far so good.

geminilive

Hi I'm also in London. Is there anyone that you recommend? When the city opens up I'm planning to go to http://dominicanhr.co.uk/ to help ease the new growth and then get a relaxer when I'm back in the states

sunnieb

I'll be 3 weeks post on Thursday.

Deciding if I want to order another Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp or switch to a box relaxer I can get easily.

I used to be able to order it anywhere and I really want to be able to walk in a store and get it. Hmmm....