Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

sunnieb

GL @sunnieb ! I know how tricky it can be to switch relaxers. But you're the relaxer queen so if anyone could successfully navigate it all, it would be you! :)

You know it!

I'll probably end up sticking with Design Essentials unless the stores open back up so I can go to Sally's again. The online store doesn't always match what my local store has.

MzSwift

1.5 weeks post, already!

So glad I did the baking soda/amino acid tx the next day. It immediately got rid of the chemical smell. From now on, I'll do that post relaxer instead of a DC. I've had good results from that.

I plan to relax again in August :)

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
13 weeks post tomorrow. Missed wash day over the weekend but I’m too lazy to tackle my hair today. Will HAVE to do tomorrow though since I’m working Fri-Sun. My new growth all of a sudden looks...idk...MORE over the last week but at least it’s soft.

sunnieb

6 weeks post.

Relaxing next week once I hit 8 weeks post. I ordered an ORS Relaxer kit. I'll see how it works and let y'all know.

lalla

I am almost 6 months post. I last relaxed on December 1st.
Thank god for Scurl and shea butter, I have my hair in braids right now.
I'm thinking of switching from Affirm to Fiberguard, does anyone have any experience with that relaxer?

MzSwift

15 weeks post. This last week has been tangle + knot city :cry3:. I actually had to cut out a knot or two! I think the two nights I fell asleep without a bonnet on greatly contributed to the knots. Sigh.

Oh no!
When it starts getting this deep into a stretch, put her in some celies and throw a wig on.
Are you comfortable with finger detangling?

sunnieb

15 weeks post. This last week has been tangle + knot city :cry3:. I actually had to cut out a knot or two! I think the two nights I fell asleep without a bonnet on greatly contributed to the knots. Sigh.

Sorry about this!

I know how you feel. My hair tends to matte and tangle around itself. :nono:

I'm currently cowashing dang near daily to keep my hair loose enough to not break off.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Oh no!
When it starts getting this deep into a stretch, put her in some celies and throw a wig on.
Are you comfortable with finger detangling?

Yes I am, but these knots were so bad I couldn't get them apart no matter what I did. I will say I missed my weekly wash day last week so it was 2 weeks since my last wash and my hair was a bit drier as well so that likely didnt help.

Sorry about this!

I know how you feel. My hair tends to matte and tangle around itself. :nono:

I'm currently cowashing dang near daily to keep my hair loose enough to not break off.

Yep and even when natural my hair tends to tangle particularly at the roots. I have thought about cowashing in between my weekly wash days to help keep the roots soft and supple but I'm a bit worried it may be too much manipulation and my hair is generally about the 'less is more' life.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
I'm at least 20 weeks post and usually relax at 9-10 but due to the current situation, nothing will be open for another five weeks. This is the longest I can recall going without a relaxer for at least ten years, I wonder what my hair will look like in July!

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
16 weeks post - had a bit of protein overload this week but I'm handling it with GHE for a few hrs nightly. The olaplex + protein treatment I did on my last wash day has all my new growth in tiny ringlets, which is cute, but I'm tangle prone at my roots so it's best if I keep my roots stretched/straight as much as possible.

I'm going to try blow drying my roots tomorrow on wash day to see if that helps with tangling over the next week.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
16 weeks post - had a bit of protein overload this week but I'm handling it with GHE for a few hrs nightly. The olaplex + protein treatment I did on my last wash day has all my new growth in tiny ringlets, which is cute, but I'm tangle prone at my roots so it's best if I keep my roots stretched/straight as much as possible.

I'm going to try blow drying my roots tomorrow on wash day to see if that helps with tangling over the next week.

Same here with the same sort of hair type too. My head is one big tangle.

sunnieb

About 10 minutes post. AND I used a box relaxer! Lol! Haven't used one of these since I was a teenager!

My hair looks great and straight! Plus, I like the availability of box relaxers pretty much anywhere.

Doing a dc now with the conditioner packet that came with it. I'll do a proper dc tomorrow or Tuesday with my Nexxus.

Screenshot_20200607-195005_Email.jpg

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
You sure you don't want to try to self relax? Would hate to hear that you've had issues because you couldn't relax in time. Touch ups are so much easier to do than a whole virgin relaxer. I'm not pushing you or anything. :D

Currently 18 weeks post. Think I may bite the bullet next week.....maybe. Usually I'd be gugho about trying new things as a natural, but with this? WHy am I so terrified? LOL

MzSwift

Currently 18 weeks post. Think I may bite the bullet next week.....maybe. Usually I'd be gugho about trying new things as a natural, but with this? WHy am I so terrified? LOL

I remember. I used to love your hair of the day/outfit of the day posts. You remind me a lot of my BFF/sister.

Is it still short from your cut? If so, then this is prime time to try your hand at self-relaxing. It's easier to cover up and there's less hair to sacrifice. At least that's what I told myself when I first started self relaxing and shaving my own head. Lol. Whenever I messed up, I would just throw on a wig and because it was so short, it seemed like it would grow out faster. So my mistakes didn't last long. Lol

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
I remember. I used to love your hair of the day/outfit of the day posts. You remind me a lot of my BFF/sister.

Is it still short from your cut? If so, then this is prime time to try your hand at self-relaxing. It's easier to cover up and there's less hair to sacrifice. At least that's what I told myself when I first started self relaxing and shaving my own head. Lol. Whenever I messed up, I would just throw on a wig and because it was so short, it seemed like it would grow out faster. So my mistakes didn't last long. Lol

yep it’s still short! Well short straight ends on an afro now lol! I’ve decided to try my hand at self-relaxing - I’m torn between phytospecific or something more readily available like mizani rhelaxer for example. I need to practice laying down the relaxer using conditioner before I really try it. I get paid next week so I’ll buy all my tools/products then.

Oh yea, 19 weeks post tomorrow!

MzSwift

yep it’s still short! Well short straight ends on an afro now lol! I’ve decided to try my hand at self-relaxing - I’m torn between phytospecific or something more readily available like mizani rhelaxer for example. I need to practice laying down the relaxer using conditioner before I really try it. I get paid next week so I’ll buy all my tools/products then.

Oh yea, 19 weeks post tomorrow!

Yay! GL! You can do it!! :)

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
P.s. I blowdried and flat ironed my hair yesterday. I can feel my frickin’ scalp, no tangling! My hair is silky yet fluffy! :2inlove:
Why didn’t I try this earlier like I said I would? I could’ve saved my hair some breakage over the last few weeks :rolleyes:. I’ve filed this away as a tip for long stretching (>15 weeks).