Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
So...

I think I'm ready to move on to my next phase of my hair. I knew it was gonna happen eventually. I see it as a natural progression. I have been over having loose hair for a long time. I've just been trying to extend this period. But I can't any longer.

Even reaching length goals isn't enough motivation. Lol. I came into this HHJ 11 years ago with the goal of MAYBE reaching APL as a longshot goal. So I'm happy with how far my hair has come. I'm gonna put in some locs very soon. I will NOT be cutting my relaxed hair. I worked hard and earned every inch so it's coming with me into this next phase. Lol. I'll continue to lurk here because you ladies have become my home base here. :cry4:

Now I have to decide how small I want to make them. With fine strands and medium density, my hair will not be big and pretty like Lauryn Hill's or anything. Last time I did this in 2016 with relaxed hair, I did micro braidlocs and interlocked my new growth. I combed them out after 3 months though. It was too much like having loose hair and my roots kept clinging together. I'm going to do Instant Locs this time, using a triple crochet needle.

This is the instant loc process I'll be using, in case anyone is curious. Not sure whether or not I'll backcomb first bc I have a lot of texture in my hair already.

I will really miss your presence in this thread!! You provide knowledge, support, and a friendly smile to posters in this thread. I lurk but I always read your post:).

abioni

You and your hair has been such an inspiration. Sad to see you go.

So...

I think I'm ready to move on to my next phase of my hair. I knew it was gonna happen eventually. I see it as a natural progression. I have been over having loose hair for a long time. I've just been trying to extend this period. But I can't any longer.

Even reaching length goals isn't enough motivation. Lol. I came into this HHJ 11 years ago with the goal of MAYBE reaching APL as a longshot goal. So I'm happy with how far my hair has come. I'm gonna put in some locs very soon. I will NOT be cutting my relaxed hair. I worked hard and earned every inch so it's coming with me into this next phase. Lol. I'll continue to lurk here because you ladies have become my home base here. :cry4:

Now I have to decide how small I want to make them. With fine strands and medium density, my hair will not be big and pretty like Lauryn Hill's or anything. Last time I did this in 2016 with relaxed hair, I did micro braidlocs and interlocked my new growth. I combed them out after 3 months though. It was too much like having loose hair and my roots kept clinging together. I'm going to do Instant Locs this time, using a triple crochet needle.

This is the instant loc process I'll be using, in case anyone is curious. Not sure whether or not I'll backcomb first bc I have a lot of texture in my hair already.

So...

I am going to miss you in this thread :(

Curls&Caramel

Only 4 days post and wearing my hair straight since I got it relaxed. I 'm trying to stretch for 8 weeks. I like wearing my hair out, but I don't want to damage my ends. I plan to alternate between a bun and a braidout at some point. How long do you ladies leave your hair straight before going for a PS or low manipulation style?

naturalpride

I rarely wear straight hair. I've had my hair straight twice in the last 5 years. Most recent 2 weeks ago. I wear twist outs and low buns and never protective style. Low manipulation styles for me mean I'm not combing my hair or changing my style except on weekly or bi weekly wash days.

Only 4 days post and wearing my hair straight since I got it relaxed. I 'm trying to stretch for 8 weeks. I like wearing my hair out, but I don't want to damage my ends. I plan to alternate between a bun and a braidout at some point. How long do you ladies leave your hair straight before going for a PS or low manipulation style?

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Next touchup is the end of this week, following my Kerastraight almost 4 weeks ago.

I've washed my hair a few times, my texture is still there (as it should be with KS) but much looser and still with some volume.

sunnieb

I rarely wear my out and straight for long. My hair is short now, so the temptation is much less anyway.

However, when I was BSL, I'd wear it straight for a day or two, then wrap it back up in a mega bun.

Curls&Caramel

I rarely wear straight hair. I've had my hair straight twice in the last 5 years. Most recent 2 weeks ago. I wear twist outs and low buns and never protective style. Low manipulation styles for me mean I'm not combing my hair or changing my style except on weekly or bi weekly wash days.
I'm not big on protective styles either. I don't have enough talent to braid, access to wigs and weaves, or the patience needed for either lol. I love curls and waves but I'm not sure I could go a year without wanting to see my hair straight. I lack the willpower.

Curls&Caramel

I rarely wear my out and straight for long. My hair is short now, so the temptation is much less anyway.

However, when I was BSL, I'd wear it straight for a day or two, then wrap it back up in a mega bun.
Megabun wow!Looks like I need to get over my desire to preserve my salon styled hair and bun it up. Is one week out too long? Was thinking of DCing or cowashing tomorrow and pulling it back to be safe. I only have SL hair so I can just imagine how tempted I would be to avoid buns with BSL. How long is your hair now if you don't mind me asking?

naturalpride

I'm not big on protective styles either. I don't have enough talent to braid, access to wigs and weaves, or the patience needed for either lol. I love curls and waves but I'm not sure I could go a year without wanting to see my hair straight. I lack the willpower.

You can healthy straight relaxed hair, just protect your ends and limit combing to wash days. Use your fingers instead. Do rollersets instead of using direct heat like blowdryers and flat irons.

sunnieb

Barely neck length now, but growing back out! :)

Megabun wow!Looks like I need to get over my desire to preserve my salon styled hair and bun it up. Is one week out too long? Was thinking of DCing or cowashing tomorrow and pulling it back to be safe. I only have SL hair so I can just imagine how tempted I would be to avoid buns with BSL. How long is your hair now if you don't mind me asking?

Curls&Caramel

So bit the bullet and cowashed last night and bunned it up even though I'm only 5 days post. I haven't leveled up to the wet bun. Just did a braid out and bunned it in the morning. My mom was aghast when she saw me on video chat. "Didn't you just pay a bunch to go to the salon to have it straightened?!!" Kinda gave me second thoughts. I want my hair to grow and I'm struggling to resist the call of the flat iron...

LushLox

So bit the bullet and cowashed last night and bunned it up even though I'm only 5 days post. I haven't leveled up to the wet bun. Just did a braid out and bunned it in the morning. My mom was aghast when she saw me on video chat. "Didn't you just pay a bunch to go to the salon to have it straightened?!!" Kinda gave me second thoughts. I want my hair to grow and I'm struggling to resist the call of the flat iron...

If you can resist it - resist it, your hair will only benefit from it after all. I do like to wear my hair out and enjoy it for a couple of weeks post relaxer, then it goes up.

I find I'm straightening less and less now, which is crazy considering I recently bought that super expensive flat iron. :look:

Last edited:

Curls&Caramel

If you can resist it - resist it, your hair will only benefit from it after all. I do like to wear my hair out and enjoy it for a couple of weeks post relaxer, then it goes up.

I find I'm straightening less and less now, which is crazy considering I recently bought that super expensive flat iron. :look:
I have to import some heat protectant so that'll definitely deter me for the moment. I've been distracting myself by experimenting with different braidout styles on Youtube. How do you maintain your hair while it's straight and out? Just moisturize and wrap? I was worried that I wouldn't retain if I left it out for weeks like I normally do.

LushLox

I have to import some heat protectant so that'll definitely deter me for the moment. I've been distracting myself by experimenting with different braidout styles on Youtube. How do you maintain your hair while it's straight and out? Just moisturize and wrap? I was worried that I wouldn't retain if I left it out for weeks like I normally do.

When I wear my hair out it's rarely straight actually, I usually either flexi rod my hair or use satin pillow rollers for waves. So my hair generally is in a beach wave style when I wear it out. I've never been one for wrapping tbh.

I've been staying indoors so much lately that it's constantly wrapped up in silk anyway.

Curls&Caramel

When I wear my hair out it's rarely straight actually, I usually either flexi rod my hair or use satin pillow rollers for waves. So my hair generally is in a beach wave style when I wear it out. I've never been one for wrapping tbh.

I've been staying indoors so much lately that it's constantly wrapped up in silk anyway.
Thank you! I just googled satin pillow rollers. :eek: Thought it was a typo lol. I will definitely be getting these! Just spent a super uncomfortable night on my perm rods at the ends of my braids for a braidout. Can't wait to try those out after I straighten.