Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
I’m only 6 weeks out but I’m getting a touch up on Thursday smh. Plus color. I need the color more than I need a perm but I definitely have enough new growth. I went 12 weeks during quarantine and never again. Grateful I have an awesome stylist who knows what he’s doing. (He’s been doing my hair for 17 years...most of his customers are at minimum BSL. Alot are MBL and longer) Six weeks is about all I can handle, 7 weeks TOPS. I’m going to try and wear my hair down more often but I’m going through menopause and it’s a little past BSL and it’s just too hot! Now I see why menopausal women cut their hair.
I've never retouched earlier than 2 months, I typically do it at 3 months this time around Im almost 4 months post (almost 2 inch regrowth) I'm aiming to self lax at weekend. 6 weeks is a lot. I don't want the chemicals in my hair that often I put up with thick forest as it gives me some body in my hair.

I'm not one to flat iron I don't see the point in relaxing then ironing it everyday unless I M going out for the evening, that's what the chemicals are for.

starfish

I've never retouched earlier than 2 months, I typically do it at 3 months this time around Im almost 4 months post (almost 2 inch regrowth) I'm aiming to self lax at weekend. 6 weeks is a lot. I don't want the chemicals in my hair that often I put up with thick forest as it gives me some body in my hair.

I'm not one to flat iron I don't see the point in relaxing then ironing it everyday unless I M going out for the evening, that's what the chemicals are for.
My hair grows really fast and it feels like I’m 4z at the crown of my head, so it gets poofy, and I don’t like that. I like body but not poofy. I’ve gotten relaxers at 6-8 weeks (8 weeks TOPS) for over 30 years and have had MBL for most of that time.

LushLox

I’m about nine weeks post I’m going to touch up the week of Christmas which would bring me to 13 weeks post. Thats a fairly decent run for me.

I would like to go longer because my 21 week post touch up results were awesome but I’m not going to make that this time.

What is it about the crown that makes it so coarse and resistant, because it seems like a common theme for a lot of women? That piece of hair just looks different to all of the rest of my hair lol.

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
I’m about nine weeks post I’m going to touch up the week of Christmas which would bring me to 13 weeks post. Thats a fairly decent run for me.

I would like to go longer because my 21 week post touch up results were awesome but I’m not going to make that this time.

What is it about the crown that makes it so coarse and resistant, because it seems like a common theme for a lot of women? That piece of hair just looks different to all of the rest of my hair lol.
Yes, Yes, Yes. I want to know too. I used to think it was just my hair. My crown area is a very different texture and length and it breaks easily. I've had to learn to treat it gently and moisturize it heavily.

lorr1e1

I'll be using Mizani Butter Blend Relaxer in Mild Lye Formula
I have the Mizani BB Lye - medium normal.

Can I ask if it supposed to have a slight chemical smell a (a lot less than the usual you get in the no-lye activator non mizani branded relaxer) I expected it to have nice sweet butter blend smell?

TLC1020

I have the Mizani BB Lye - medium normal.

Can I ask if it supposed to have a slight chemical smell a (a lot less than the usual you get in the no-lye activator non mizani branded relaxer) I expected it to have nice sweet butter blend smell?
It have a regular relaxer smell to me... I've used Classic Mizani Relaxers in Mild and I also used Motions Relaxer, all Lye Relaxers and they all smell like chemicals to me...

lorr1e1

It have a regular relaxer smell to me... I've used Classic Mizani Relaxers in Mild and I also used Motions Relaxer, all Lye Relaxers and they all smell like chemicals to me...
I'm just checking what kind of smell they should have as I bought one online. Mine is slight chemical smell. I thought it wouid have the strong nice sweet smelling bb that I think come in the no lye version.

lorr1e1

One day post relaxer!! Relaxed yesterday at 20weeks post!! Tried out the motions lye relaxer i think i found my new love, i normally use ors lye.
I switched from ors no lye extra strength to mizani lye medium normal, it's very good no burns it seemed easier to deal with.

Can't seem to get motions products so easily in UK, not sure why.

LushLox

I switched from ors no lye extra strength to mizani lye medium normal, it's very good no burns it seemed easier to deal with.

Can't seem to get motions products so easily in UK, not sure why.

They sell Motions at Pak Cosmetics but I really detest shopping there.

sunnieb

What relaxer are you all using:
Brand
Strength
Lye/No Lye
yhst-88462588038071_2612_9978555743.png
ORS Olive Oil No-Lye Relaxer

I used Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp for years, but it became too hard to find even online. Plus, I like buying a fresh it every 2 months rather than having to buy 20 applications of DE at one time.

LushLox

Just relaxed yesterday at home (husband helped) . I've been using Mizani rhelaxer, it leaves texture in my hair. I still haven't been able to find Affirm again.

Huh how comes? That’s very worrying that you can’t find Affirm now. This is the best relaxer I’ve used! I’m going to buy a new 9 tub set and hope for the best, I still see them available here.

LushLox

Was just looking at older pics, I need to get back here. I had so much volume then, before my hair got ravaged by anemia.

ETA. Oh I tried to add a pic but it didn’t work!
ETA1. Sorted just needed to reduce the size

Attachments

• BAF691DF-5700-4A8F-B00A-D781D713D721.jpeg
    BAF691DF-5700-4A8F-B00A-D781D713D721.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

lorr1e1

Just relaxed yesterday at home (husband helped) . I've been using Mizani rhelaxer, it leaves texture in my hair. I still haven't been able to find Affirm again.
Try the Mizani Butter blends sensitive scalp one it's no lye, I find that no lye straightens hair better than lye relaxers. Others in this board say the same thing.

CICI24

What relaxer are you all using:
Brand
Strength
Lye/No Lye

I used to use PCJ Lye but I'm looking to switch back to no -lye. I haven't used no lye relaxers in over 15 years. I read that lye relaxers break down the protein in the hair more than no -lye. My hair isn't bad at all but I want it to be a little thicker.

lorr1e1

I used to use PCJ Lye but I'm looking to switch back to no -lye. I haven't used no lye relaxers in over 15 years. I read that lye relaxers break down the protein in the hair more than no -lye. My hair isn't bad at all but I want it to be a little thicker.
In my experience I would say you get straighter hair with no lye over lye relaxers. Though i'm baffled by people saying that lye process faster. I'm thinking that they process slower. They haven't burned me either, another thing people say happens with lye; so not sure what to make of it.

I like that you get them in tubs they don't have the typical strong chemical smell although it didn't bother me using no lye with strong smell as i rinsed it out well. It used to be my opinion (way back when) that salons used the lye ones as i felt that they had a stronger relaxer and got better results. But looking at my last couple of in salon relaxers i think it must have been no lye they used compared to the results i got from the lye forumulations i did at home.