Relaxed Heads: Neautralizing Tips You Don't Want To Forget!!

chayil0427

I just wanted to make a quick post with some neutralizing tips. These are great if you self relax, but you also want to look out for these things at the salon to make sure you're not leaving with relaxer still active in your hair!!! :perplexed

1) The first stage of neutralizing happens with WATER!!. Water has a pH of about 7 so rinsing for 10 minutes with WARM water before you ever shampoo is important to allow water to remove all the excess relaxer cream and bring the pH down to about 7 (from 11 to 14 depending on what type of relaxer you use).

2) Your next neutralizing step can be conditioner if you choose! Apply a good moisturizing conditioner (this is not the best time to use heavey protiens ... they can leave your hair feeling like wire if used after a relaxer!! If you need a touch of protien at this step just add a small amount of your protien conditioner to a much larger amount of moisturizing conditioner or use a very light protien) while the cuticle is open from the relaxer is a great way to really get some moisture back into your hair after a chemical service. Also, most good quality salon conditioners have a lower pH (about 5) so this will bring the pH of your hair down even further. You can choose to condition after you shampoo but many like to apply a good moisturizing conditioner at this stage because the cuticles are open. You might want to try this step with a plastic cap and a hood dryer if you have one.

3) The next step is the shampoo. Don't just slap it in and look for pink then rinse. Shampoo 2 to 3 times. Then apply another lather of neutralizing shampoo and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes. You may notice that it turns pink after it sits. Sitting allows it to penetrate the hair and neutralize relaxer thats penetrated more deeply into the hair folicle. If there is a great deal of pink rinse and re-lather allowing the poo to sit for another 5 minutes.

4) I like to follow the neutralizing poo with my regular moisturizing poo and a second conditioning. These also work to neutralizing any remaining traces of base in the hair.

Hope these tips are helpful! If you have any other neutralizing tips be sure to post them in this thread!

mzhotniz86

those were very good tips , but at the salon its hard to make sure they are doing this correctly :ohwell: im so skeptical about getting retouches because some stylists truly do not know how to neutralize the hair properly.

malibu4590

Great tips, Chayil. It's what I've been doing since I've joined the boards and my hair has never been happier!

locabouthair

those were very good tips , but at the salon its hard to make sure they are doing this correctly :ohwell: im so skeptical about getting retouches because some stylists truly do not know how to neutralize the hair properly.

your right. every time I used to go to the salon, i would be ao paranoid about them neutralizing my hair.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I just wanted to make a quick post with some neutralizing tips. These are great if you self relax, but you also want to look out for these things at the salon to make sure you're not leaving with relaxer still active in your hair!!! :perplexed

1) The first stage of neutralizing happens with WATER!!. Water has a pH of about 7 so rinsing for 10 minutes with WARM water before you ever shampoo is important to allow water to remove all the excess relaxer cream and bring the pH down to about 7 (from 11 to 14 depending on what type of relaxer you use).

2) Your next neutralizing step can be conditioner if you choose! Apply a good moisturizing conditioner (this is not the best time to use heavey protiens ... they can leave your hair feeling like wire if used after a relaxer!! If you need a touch of protien at this step just add a small amount of your protien conditioner to a much larger amount of moisturizing conditioner or use a very light protien) while the cuticle is open from the relaxer is a great way to really get some moisture back into your hair after a chemical service. Also, most good quality salon conditioners have a lower pH (about 5) so this will bring the pH of your hair down even further. You can choose to condition after you shampoo but many like to apply a good moisturizing conditioner at this stage because the cuticles are open. You might want to try this step with a plastic cap and a hood dryer if you have one.

3) The next step is the shampoo. Don't just slap it in and look for pink then rinse. Shampoo 2 to 3 times. Then apply another lather of neutralizing shampoo and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes. You may notice that it turns pink after it sits. Sitting allows it to penetrate the hair and neutralize relaxer thats penetrated more deeply into the hair folicle. If there is a great deal of pink rinse and re-lather allowing the poo to sit for another 5 minutes.

4) I like to follow the neutralizing poo with my regular moisturizing poo and a second conditioning. These also work to neutralizing any remaining traces of base in the hair.

Hope these tips are helpful! If you have any other neutralizing tips be sure to post them in this thread!

Thank you so much for the tips. I had gotten those tips this morning before I went to the Salon for a Touch up. I would have added the conditioner before the shampoo. But now I know for next time.

chayil0427

ladies dont be afraid to ask the shampoo girl and your stylist what they're doing...tell her you'd like to know what she's putting in your hair while you're at the bowl and why. better yet, before you sit down to have your relaxer applied, talk to the person who will be neutralizing your relaxer and tell her what your expectations are. if they dont welcome your requests and questions you're probably not going to a salon that really cares about the condition of your hair. :nono:

chayil

amwcah

Great tips! I never thought of applying a moisturizing conditioner after rinsing the relaxer out. Also, I will make sure I let the neutralizing shampoo sit for awhile as well.

Do you think it is okay to do a protein treatment immediately after relaxing or is it best to wait until the next wash day?

scorpian

One recent tip that a friend passed on to me from her stylist

She says that after rinsing the relaxer the first shampoo that you use should be a good clarifying shampoo.

The reason behind this is that some relaxers leave an oily residue that can cause buildup and block the neutralizer and conditioner from doing it's job...if you don't remove that greasy film after the relaxer it can cause dryness and breakage...after the 1st lather with the clarifying shampoo you should rinse the hair well then apply your 2 or more lathers of neutralizing shampoo(as needed) and deep condition as you normally would.

HTH

Great tips! I never thought of applying a moisturizing conditioner after rinsing the relaxer out. Also, I will make sure I let the neutralizing shampoo sit for awhile as well.

Do you think it is okay to do a protein treatment immediately after relaxing or is it best to wait until the next wash day?

Actually many ladies do a protein treatment before they even neutralize. Because your follicles are most open at this point. I wouldn't recommend aphogee hardcore but I do know some ladies have varied steps here's a link about protein and relaxers after rinsing that I found very informative:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=135416&page=4

These are pretty good tips especially the portion about leaving the neutralizer on at least 5-10minutes to make sure that it actually works. In addition some ladies do an ACV rinse before they even do the neutralizing poo just to make sure the pH comes down properly and so that they don't have to do so many neutralizing washes.

Last edited: