Relaxed heads protective styles?

xu93texas

Ok, I did my first phony budget bun today. I think it came out nice. I don't like the store bought buns. What do ya'll think? I'm trying to add some variety to my protective styles. I don't want to wear wigs everyday.

Last edited:

xu93texas

I love my boring inverted single french braid, its my best protective style. I bun for about 2 days after my weekly wash/DC to make sure my hair is very moisturized prior to braiding and then by day 3, I moisturizer and seal again and massage my scalp before braiding. I spray my hair with plain water and seal with coconut oil or hairveda vatika frosting twice a day. If when I feel through to my NG and it feels really dry, I'll take my braid down (only finger comb), spray my NG and the length of my hair with water, then M&S and re-braid. I'm looking for ways to accessorize this but nevertheless, this is how I am babying my nape and growing my fine strands to APL.

KiWiStyle,

Beautiful braid!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
High Bun - excuse the poor quality. This is a self pic taken with my phone. :look:

hillytmj

I bun it up. I now do it with a jaw clip and take the length and wrap it around the clip to cover it. This gives me a fuller looking bun than the ones I used to have when I made buns with scrunchies.

I saw this bun product on the Today show and ordered one this week. I'll let ya'll know if it really works because I hate putting a lot of bobby pins in my hair.

Okay, so my Wrap Up finally arrived (it took about 9 days) and I had to give it a try. I definitely will have a satin sleeve made to cover it before I wear it because it's made of the same material as a sponge roller. (I guess that's so it won't slip out of finer hair types?)

Here's what it looks like:
The wrap up.jpg

You have to put your hair into a secure ponytail first:
Ponytail 6-1-12.jpg

Then put the length of your hair through it and slide it to the ends of your hair. (I couldn't do that and take a pic at the same time. :blush:) Once it's there, you roll it up like you would roll an enchilada (can you tell that I'm hungry, lol) and when you get to the top of your ponytail, you bend it around your ponytail holder. Then you smooth your hair around the wrap up to cover it.

Here's what it looks like from all angles.
Complete Bun 6-1-12.jpg

Back Bun 6-1-12.jpg

Complete Bun 2 - 6-1-12.jpg

The verdict: I like it. I think the bun looks very elegant. I don't know if I could wear it without any hair pins (like the ad says) because it's not a very secure style. It's almost like a messy bun. But that may be because my hair is slightly layered.

Hope this review helps everyone.

Ms. Tiki

I think so. I only put it in for a few minutes to test it out, so once I put the satin on it, it'll be on and popping, LOL.

I have two of those (big and little) that I have yet to use. I ordered them from China months ago. :nono:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
xu93texas said:
Ok, I did my first phony budget bun today. I think it came out nice. I don't like the store bought buns. What do ya'll think? I'm trying to add some variety to my protective styles. I don't want to wear wigs everyday.

xu93texas,

I just noticed that's not the pre-made bun, I don't like those either because they never match my hair and the combs could break my hair off. I want to try this so I'm going to keep reading to see if you gave a how-to guide, ;-).